The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

johnglynn wrote:Nice graph Janet
Wish I could take credit! :D I found it when I used the plan briefly last year - it was linked from one of the C2 threads & made it look as if I knew what I was doing when pinned to the notice board! :wink:
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Thanks for the graph Janet - very useful.
Did the infamous 4x1000 session today. Very difficult and did not quite manage to average my 2k pb pace. Not going to be too hard on myself though as I know I am not used to interval training so I will just have to work myself up to this standard. For those interested in this sort of thing here are the splits:

1) 3:43.2 (1:51.6) 29 spm Avg HR 136 Max 156
2) 3:43.9 (1:51.9) 29 spm Avg HR 152 Max 162
3) 3:44.1 (1:52.0) 28 spm Avg HR 146 Max 163
4) 3:44.7 (1:52.3) 29 spm Avg HR 148 Max 163

Avg pace 1:51.9 so thats the target for the first 3 reps next time. I know the final rep is meant to be the fastest but I simply could not go any faster on this occasion. Even the cool down was torment at 2:15 pace. :oops: Not helped by the guy next to me doing 5 minute intervals at 1:40 pace - although at least he was gasping too.
pb times
Spamuel
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Spamuel »

Well done Stan. I passed out during the last of those thousands so well done for finishing them off and living to tell the tail.

I have no idea what religious view free spirits have but if you walk into any church bible study you'll find similar analysis as we have just carried out on the Pete Plan. Very funny if you're from the right background! =D>

It has been really handy to here all your thoughts on the plan and I've changed my recovery rows to faster 'steady' rows in response to Janet's graph. still nowhere near 15K but building up. I did almost 12K today in two sittings holding 2:06 pace.

My bests for the sessions are as follows

8 x 500 1.45.2
4 x 1000 1.48.9
250/500/750 etc 1.46.1
4 x 2K 1.53.7
5 x 1500 1.52.8
3/2.5/2 1.54.1

Current 2K 1.48.1
I joined for the rowing but stayed for the lycra
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

Interesting looking at this. The plan looks brutal and painful. I will start a thread on the C2 plan when I start it on 20th May and it will be intriguing to see how they compare. e.g. on the C2 plan there is NO pb rowing at all but you can put them in (for 2k only!) every couple of MONTHS.

I found that I stuck them in when they seemed to fit with the workout of the day.

So, we'll see...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Stan

Post by Stan »

Excellent Thomas - I was hoping somebody would start a C2 thread for comparison purposes. I think Simsy is planning to do the C2 plan as well. I gather Shreks doing it too. This should be really interesting. :D
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

Decided that todays steady 8-15k would be 10k at pb+3. It was a bit of a struggle for the first half but then got a "second wind" and finished fairly strongly but without going for a sprint finish. Time was 41:19.0 (pb+3.9) with an average HR of 139 and a max of 150. This was UT1 equivalent.
Finished off with 10 minutes cool down. Total metres 12314.
pb times
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Stan wrote:.......... to help us get back to Earth where I am sure I have left the bathroom light on :lol:
I'm glad someone else worries about that sort of thing!

OK - having slowly worked myself back up to being able to face 1hr at a go I'm back on the Pete Plan.

I have to say that I adjust a tad - the 15k rows I adust to 1hr - that being a bit more than the time that many blokes would take to do 15k...... Everything I take as is.....

I did 11k steady today - so I'll treat that as day 2 of week one & do 8k steady tomorrow.... results to be blogged....
PB:
Spamuel
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Spamuel »

What do we reckon by the way about sprint finishes. I've always tried to keep my pace steady without spriting resisting the urge to slack off through the middle of the interval and catch it up at the end.

Is this the best idea?
I joined for the rowing but stayed for the lycra
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

No use asking me - I'm always so knacked by the end that a sprint finish is out of the question! :lol:

More seriously - I go steady on all but the last interval than as the last is an 'all out' effort there's no question of slacking in the middle. Next time I aim for the same as the overall average steady from the outset & again all out on the last. For the endurance intervals I take the last endurance interval as a guide regardless of the actual interval pattern - the speed intervals I find harder to judge the split to aim for. (This is all remembered from last year)

On a different matter - I like to chart what I'm doing so have spreadsheeted out the workouts with an intention of pinning it up & filling in as I go. I know I can save it all on computer - but there's something about having it on paper near trhe ergo... Link to pic here: Pete Plan data If anyone wants feel free to use & I've got it in excel format as well.
PB:
garyn

Post by garyn »

When sprinting or doing any timed piece for that matter I like to get below my target pace as soon as possible. This used to result in a fly and die row so I have 10 good strokes at the start then settle into my pace and really blast the last 250 / 500 depending on how much energy i have.

posted this on the c2 site too

after a week off back into the routine

distance pyramid last attempts times in brackets

1K wu

3000 1:52.2 (1:53.5)
2500 1:52.0 (1:53.4)
2000 1:51.5 (1:52.6)
avg 1:51.9 (1:53.2)

3500 wd
Stan

Post by Stan »

Spamuel wrote:What do we reckon by the way about sprint finishes. I've always tried to keep my pace steady without spriting resisting the urge to slack off through the middle of the interval and catch it up at the end.

Is this the best idea?
Not quite sure if you mean sprinting at the end of the long steady rows or sprinting at the end of intervals. No to the former and if you can to the latter. The aim is to do the last interval faster than the rest and then use the average to set your pace next time. Each time the last interval should be faster so you keep on improving. Easier said than done sometimes.
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

4x2000 @ 5k pb pace.
I was not exactly feeling full of energy this evening and even the warmup felt hard. Nevertheless aimed for 1:56 and averaged 1:56.4 so thats the target for next time.
Half way through the first interval I was asking myself how the hell I managed 5k at this pace. The answer struck me that I did not do that 5k at 1:56 all the way - more like 1:57 to 1:58 with a sprint finish. Which begs the question - should the target pace be the "majority" of your 5k pace or the overall average of your 5k pace. I suspect the answer is your 5k average but this is an example of the crap that goes through my mind when trying to think of an excuse to slow down :roll: :oops:
The 4 splits were as follows:
7:45.9 28 spm Avg HR 139, Max HR 154
7:46.2 28 spm Avg HR 145, Max HR 157
7:46.8 28 spm Avg HR 146, Max HR 158
7:44.6 28 spm Avg HR 148, Max HR 161
drift 83m
warmup 2844 cooldown 3464 Total 14391m
pb times
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by johnglynn »

Stan wrote:4x2000 @ 5k pb pace.
That's a very difficult session, what sort of rest do you have between intervals ?
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

News from Pete on the 'Pete Plan'thread on the C2 forum:
"When the Mad Team webmaster pulls his finger out there will be a document on our website containing the official Pete Plan in full detail, along with an excel spreadsheet to download to record all your sessions.

This will be the first and only official source for the plan outside of this thread."

I'll be keeping a look out.......
PB:
Stan

Post by Stan »

johnglynn wrote:
That's a very difficult session, what sort of rest do you have between intervals ?
Hi John - how do you find time to read this thread in between wheeling and dealing on the celebdaq?
This particular session allows 5 minutes rest between intervals.
pb times
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by johnglynn »

Stan wrote:
johnglynn wrote:
Hi John - how do you find time to read this thread in between wheeling and dealing on the celebdaq?
This particular session allows 5 minutes rest between intervals.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The current strategy is checking 1 person (currently Sting) is still growing strong every 30mins or so . Doesn't take much time, and is ridiculously profitable (>2% every hour !!!) .

I remember doing 3 2K's at about 5K rest with probably 4 min rest and found it a nasty session, not sure I could manage 4 . I should give it a try
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
Stan

Post by Stan »

The 5 minute rest seems about right - 4 minutes would have been very nasty. By 5 minutes my heart rate was back down below 90. It also gives you enough time to wander over to the water fountain and have a drink
pb times
Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Derrylad »

Thats Rotation 1 ( at last of the PP done ). Only took me 2 weeks ( heh heh! ).

Did a 10k in 35:22.4 ( PB split + 2 seconds ). Next weekend will try PB + 1.

Tomorrow will do a very slow 1 hour ( probably 2:00 split )

Then monday 4 x 1k ( eeeeeerggggg )

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

extremeclimber
Free Spirit

Post by extremeclimber »

Where do I find this "Pete Plan"?...
I am interested in something that works my speed as well as distance, and this seems the ticket...
Paul
Laititia Par Dolerum

Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Paul - Tricia wrote an excellent summary of the plan on page 2 of this thread. Its also worth checking the training section on the UK C2 forum. Its a very long thread now but the first 10 pages cover it pretty well. Janet has a link to this thread in her post near the top of this page.
Good luck with it - its hard at times but I am (mostly) enjoying it.
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

Day 5 week 2 - a steady 1hour at about pb +3.5. 14405 @26 spm. Heart rate averaged 131 with a maximum of 142.

Looking forward to hearing to hearing Robs bleatings about the 4x1k. Dont worry Rob - you will love it :wink: :lol:
pb times
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

8x500m - ow. Completed at Pb 2k-2, which given I'm pretty certain that I couldn't match that 2k time at the moment isn't bad.
Sprint intervals do hurt - but I love em! :twisted: I find it easier to put up with short bursts of exteme pain than to talk my head into carrying on on a long piece when I'm really tired..... Something to work on....
PB:
Tricia B
Spends too much time in the forum

Recovery Time between Intervals

Post by Tricia B »

Hi....

While I was researching training programs, I came across the following info in an article from the magazine "Rowing News". It described how recovery time based on heart rate can affect training......Here is what it said.....

Full recovery between intervals can be considered as taken place when the heart rate has fallen to your warm up level which is twice your resting rate.

The intensity of interval-training can be increased by working to 90% or even 80% of full recovery. For a resting heart rate at 60bpm, the warm up rate would be 120bpm.

100% recovery = 120bpm go again
90% recovery = 132bpm go again.
80% recovery = 144bpm go again.

Here's what I found really interesting:

The closer the recovery is towards 100%, the more the training will tend towards improving Power.

The closer the recovery is towards 80%, the more the training will tend towards improving lactate tolerance.

Reduced recovery is most effective at the beginning of an intensive interval-training period when intensity takes precedence over quality. Close to competition quality takes precedence over intensity and therefore full recovery is advisable.

I'm going to incorporate this into the Pete Plan and adjust my recovery time accordingly.....it gives us a way to personalize our training based on our own fitness level.

Tricia
the Colibri, Unleash the power of the Free Spirits and Fly

Ultra Distances 2007 season: 6 FM's (with 3 in 3 days) and one 50k

Stan

Post by Stan »

Very interesting - I think I had read that somewhere as well but thanks for posting it up Tricia. If I remember correctly the short intervals (8x500, 4x1000) did not allow me to fully recover in between whereas the longer intervals (5x1500 and 4x2000) allowed for 100% recovery in my case.
pb times
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Very interesting points Tricia, thanks for those O:)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k