Split ethics

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Split ethics

Post by webberg »

Is it "right" to post a time on an ELM challenge when the piece done is not that specific challenge?

For example, I am planning a 60 minute piece tonight. I am also due to do part 3 of the Roller Coaster (5k+500m). Could I take say the first 5k of the 60 minutes as the first leg and then do the 500 after the 60 minute (post the rest time)?

Should I instead log the 60 minute as a stand alone piece and do the 5k+500m as a stand alone piece?

Also if I get a PB at some intermediate split within the 60 mins, (say 30 mins or 6k/10k) should I update the PB ELM table with these? You cannot really do this on the C2 log as this would double count the metres.

Yours on the horns.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Hmmm

Post by PSims »

I would record any challenge where you have a definite time for it.
e.g. Imperial Mile and Metric Mile. By setting the distance to 1609m and split to 1500m, you can read off the Metric Mile result at the end.

That's what everyone else has done - you can tell this as the times for Imperial are BETTER despite the fact it is slightly further - people are sprinting to the finish.

Don't edit the PB on ELM until the challenge finishes - cos if you do, you diddle yourself out of the improvement points as it recalculates as soon as you post it for all live challenges.

Roller coaster is a funny one - Steve intended it to be done in pairs with a definite rest period. If you alter that it gives you an advantage - so you can't. But you can count all the metres towards 7 Wonders, 250km or Le Mans.

Re: C2 - do not double count the metres - you only rowed them once!

That's my 2 penneth!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

split ethics

Post by steve the slug »

Personally i havealways treated each challenge as a seperate test otherwise it would not be a challenge, i accept within some like the mile ones it is possible to to do both but unless everyones plays the same way then the playing field is different and i did not think that was what was supposed to happen.

with the longer ones (one 4 mr sims and rolloer coaster) you can use the individual distances to count as pb's but to me you are still on one challenge.

so i reckon simsy you and john glynn better get and do a full 1609. :twisted: :twisted:

slug
PSims
True Free Spirit

Make the Slug do them again!!!

Post by PSims »

Slug - In that case ANY metres you have done for all ELM challenges don't count towards your 250km - including Roller Coaster, 7 Wonders, Le Mans etc....so you'll just have to do them again. He he :twisted:

That's OK with me - I'll just do another 1,609m :lol:

Actually - I'm not doing any more - hols now - at LAST!

Be good whilst I'm away!

Doesn't seem that long ago I was chasing you up the WISE board - we both had substaintially less metres then!
Paul

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: split ethics

Post by johnglynn »

steve the slug wrote:so i reckon simsy you and john glynn better get and do a full 1609. :twisted: :twisted:

slug
I rowed the full 1609, and had set the splits to 500m to get the 1500

On the ethics, I read the rules of each challenge, and follow them to the letter.

On the Metric Mile it says
Name: The Metric Mile
Details: 1 X 1500m

It says nothing about having to stop right after the 1500 mark.
I decided to row another 109m and combine the two.

The problem with either mile distance, is that a flat out attempt, destroy's me for the day. I cannot row any serious distance afterwards (apart from maybe a very short sprint). And I try to do only one short distance like that each week, and there are so many challenges each month

Most challenges I do by themselves, i.e it would not make sense to combine a 5K and 2K attempt, as the splits are very different (~8secs), so I would either have a terrible 2K or 5K time, or two very weak times if I decided to compromise.

I'm currently doing a very high meters week (for me), I'm combining a lot of the "Summer Roller" and "Mr Sims" challenges and of course the "7 days" one because I usually don't do these long distances. I'm still following the rules, e.g. doing my downhill 5 mins afterwards.

I don't see it as cheating, if anything I'm giving a slight advantage to other people, taking the mile as an example. I did the imperial at 1:37.2, and the metric at 1:37.5 . If I did a dedicated metric I would have probably got under 1:37.0

Do other people think I'm cheating ?
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

Happy Holidays Paul

Will give me a chance to catch up on your 12 point ELM lead :twisted:
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

who bit

Post by steve the slug »

all a bit of fun but its sometimes just the motivation we need :) :) :) :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

keep on rowing John i'm chasing you :lol: :lol:
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: split ethics

Post by Stan »

johnglynn wrote: Do other people think I'm cheating ?
At 6 foot 6 and 22stone I think you can do whatever you like :lol:
In all seriousness, I dont have a problem with what you are doing. I think most of us try to combine challenges where possible.
pb times
PSims
True Free Spirit

More than 12

Post by PSims »

Hey John - thanks.

And it's more than 12 now - just put in a PB for 2k - 7:10.0 :lol:

I'm ahead of Derrylad for the 2nd time today (not for long though).

That's definitely IT now - now more rowing - but I will be finding a PC to see what's happening on here if I can!
Paul