Training logs

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Training logs

Post by webberg »

Is anybody interested in sharing these here?

I have tried various ways to track data via the C2 website without much success.

My interest is really in seeing how people train to achieve their times in the vain hope that it might work for me.

Thomas - would it be possible to have such a feature on this site?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

I have all my data from the concept2 website since I joined (Feb 05). I believe it is in Excel spreadsheet format. More than happy to send it to you if you are interested.
Though not sure you would want to emulate my times!
Regards
Stan
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Training logs

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:Thomas - would it be possible to have such a feature on this site?
Hmmm. Possible yes! Anything is possible. But I am not sure what you mean really.

Setting up a web site is easy - it took less than an hour start to finish, but if what you mean is a custom way of tracking/displaying times? Ouch! I will leave that to the Concept 2 site.

It is is probably possible to have a downloads section where you can download other people's data - or maybe have a google spreadsheet that does it?

What do you actually mean?

I must be honest here and say that I am not in a position to do hours of coding at all! Too much rowing to do to stay ahead of Gregor :-D
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg

Spreadsheet

Post by webberg »

Thomas, I was wondering whether it was posisble for the logs we all keep on C2 to be uploaded in their entirety at regular intervals. I was not envisaging any re-coding or any manipulation.

Nothing sinister in this but I am trying to develop a way of weighting the variables (height, weight, age, metreage, etc) so as to produce a handicap type points scoring system. There is the nonathlon website that has a go at this by comparing everybody to the best time/distance in their age group. Very good but not based on a statistical standard deviation curve.

The obvious place for this data is the C2 logs but these are difficult to access.

Probably the best way for this is for me to contact team members at the end of the season and ask for a copy of their log that I can then work with.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Re: Spreadsheet

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:Nothing sinister in this but I am trying to develop a way of weighting the variables (height, weight, age, metreage, etc) so as to produce a handicap type points scoring system.
*phew*

It must be possible to have people post their logs - there are a few tools that run web sites like php-nuke, postnuke or even running a wiki. I think all of these can allow for uploads to be posted I think.

Our web site could become a Wiki of course - then anyone could edit it.
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Webberg, I think I know what you are looking for and it's actually pretty easy to get.

Thomas and I can view each others logs any time we want thought the concept2 website.

To do this you need to log on to the C2 website, then under the "training partners" section of your profile enter the ID number of whoever's log you want to see.

Once they have done the same you can access their log any time by revisiting the log section and selecting "view log" beside their name. For example after I did my 30 mins yesterday I was devastated to see that Thomas had done 2km+30mins+2km to stay out of my reach in the standings.

Just ask someone for their ID first and tell them yours and the rest should be easy.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gregor T Andrews wrote:I was devastated to see that Thomas had done 2km+30mins+2km to stay out of my reach in the standings.
As devastated as I was relieved when I realised you had not been away on a ship rowing your legs off, but galavanting round Berlin!

I don't think I will stay ahead for ever - I am a teacher and with the summer holidays coming up it could all fall apart (we are going away to a hotel at the start of the holiday - now hoping it has ergos!)

Thomas
webberg

Training logs

Post by webberg »

Gregor, thanks for that. I have Gooners ID detail in my C2 profile but it says "pending". Does he need to do something?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Re: Training logs

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:Gregor, thanks for that. I have Gooners ID detail in my C2 profile but it says "pending". Does he need to do something?
Yes, Gregor is a genius - why didn't I think of that!?

Gooner needs to type in your ID (from your profile) - then C2 does some sort of cross reference and you get access.

Maybe we could keep a list on the site of people's ID's who don't mind sharing them?

I think we also need some sort of cross reference between ID's in the forum and real names in the Free Spirits listing! I am still not sure who is who...
jlemon
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by jlemon »

Funny enough, I was wondering about something similar yesterday - I wanted to know whether I was actually catching the person ahead of me or not. My competitive nature showing, I guess. :roll:

Anyway, I worked up a meter board with history, which is driven from the concept2 team data summary. At the moment, it updates the data every hour.

Free Spirits Meter Board is what I have so far. Dates are local time (-5 UTC). This will probably look better as it accumulates more history.

Is there any interest in this? Suggestions and ideas welcome. Note that I have 0 meters for today - need to get busy and go row instead of playing with this... :D
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

jlemon wrote: Is there any interest in this? Suggestions and ideas welcome. Note that I have 0 meters for today - need to get busy and go row instead of playing with this... :D
That is excellent!

Can you do a chart every week - a bit like "Top of the pops" showing the biggest movers up and down the board?
jlemon

Post by jlemon »

The last column (week) will eventually show the total movement averaged over the last 7 days. Right now it just shows 'new' for everyone, as the current history doesn't go that far back - the script is treating everyone as a new member.
Thomas W-P

Excellent!

Post by Thomas W-P »

OMG that is so excellent I want to cry. Also to give you all the passwords to this site so you can do something beautiful.

Is it in php? If so, can we port it to this site? PM me if you want the FTP access details.
Stan

Post by Stan »

jlemon - excellent work - thanks for doing this :D
jlemon

Post by jlemon »

stan: thanks! I hope this ends up being useful.

thomas: I haven't taken the time to learn PHP, so I just knocked it out using mason (based on perl). I'm sure the mason scripts can be converted to PHP at some point. For now, can you add a link to the stats from the main page? When I finish adding features, hopefully we can migrate things over.
Tricia B
Spends too much time in the forum

Meter Board

Post by Tricia B »

Jonathan....

I like the meter board....it is awesome....I think what drives me is to stay in the top 10....I just posted my entry and pow...it showed up on your meter board....really coooool.... :D

I am happy to provide you with my records if you want them......

If I graphed my stats it would show that I have increased my rowing since I joined Free Spirits....

This group is great.....

Tricia
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

jlemon wrote:For now, can you add a link to the stats from the main page? When I finish adding features, hopefully we can migrate things over.
OK - good idea. I will do that tonight.

Maybe we should pick up the techy stuff off line. I will PM you my email address.

Thomas
PSims
True Free Spirit

Board

Post by PSims »

The board is brilliant.

I used to try and do this manually, but gave up when it got to more than 40 people. And it was nowhere near as sophisticated as this!

Can we put the link on the front of the Free Spirits page with the others?
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

webberg

Metre board

Post by webberg »

Top class work and a definite motivator.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Re: Board

Post by Thomas W-P »

PSims wrote:Can we put the link on the front of the Free Spirits page with the others?
I will do that tonight - might move the FAQ to a new page too if I get time between the stints staying ahead of Gregor (if I can).
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Thomas, Jlemon, Stan. I have no idea what you are talking about but great site and threads. For those interested in sharing Id on C2 I'll start the ball rolling, my ID is 91179.

Neil.

No laughing at the back from the big boys..............
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Gooner, glad to see you got on here.
What am I talking about that you dont understand? :? I havent been involved in Thomas and JLemons techie discussion as its beyond me.
pb times
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gooner - I am 17345 and have put you in my profile.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thomas, Gooner, and anyone else interested. My profile no is 157061. :)
pb times
redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Sorry for being such an idiot :oops: not had time to read the all the previous threads but does someone want my ID number? Or do I do something with it - Paul did send me a link in work flugsvamp or something but I couldn't view it, there was an error. Not managed a row tonite, just had dinner..trying to get upto date with mails/forum etc & getting up in 8 hours :( help please - Thanks! :D