what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by hewitt »

Back at it again. Went to the gym on Sunday and it was absolutely heaving. But not many using the ergs. 😅.
Yesterday was just rowing. 12x300m with 1min rest. 1.54.4 r21 . Today was 12x300m with 1min rest 1.55.5 r21. After high reps on the weights.

Today was a new start for my training. Bought some pre workout drink mix and creatine for after training. Hopefully it will help with the DOMS I have been having after training. Higher reps and lower weights with more cardio after. Going to start using the ski erg as well.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

hewitt wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:13 am Back at it again. Went to the gym on Sunday and it was absolutely heaving. But not many using the ergs. 😅.
Yesterday was just rowing. 12x300m with 1min rest. 1.54.4 r21 . Today was 12x300m with 1min rest 1.55.5 r21. After high reps on the weights.

Today was a new start for my training. Bought some pre workout drink mix and creatine for after training. Hopefully it will help with the DOMS I have been having after training. Higher reps and lower weights with more cardio after. Going to start using the ski erg as well.
Why creatine?
I may be wrong but I don't think that will help combat DOMS - it is only useful for very short, explosive activity - it's usage will make your muscles look bigger but that will mainly be water retention.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

paulgould wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:45 pm
Why creatine?
I may be wrong but I don't think that will help combat DOMS - it is only useful for very short, explosive activity - it's usage will make your muscles look bigger but that will mainly be water retention.

Paul G
I suppose it depends what you read and who you talk to Paul.
I have been training in gym's for many years and talking to many different athletes and weight trainers. Some say it is best to take before training some say after. So say it's for short explosive power some use it for rugby games. 40min each way. I am only experimenting. :D

51 years old.
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

hewitt wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:25 pm
paulgould wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:45 pm
Why creatine?

Paul G
I suppose it depends what you read and who you talk to Paul.
I have been training in gym's for many years and talking to many different athletes and weight trainers. Some say it is best to take before training some say after. So say it's for short explosive power some use it for rugby games. 40min each way. I am only experimenting. :D
Agreed Jason - just my take on it - I tried it for a short while about 20+ years ago and I just landed up looking puffy and bloated. :lol: :lol:

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

paulgould wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:30 am
Agreed Jason - just my take on it - I tried it for a short while about 20+ years ago and I just landed up looking puffy and bloated. :lol: :lol:

Paul G
😅😅. If I start looking puffy and bloated I will stop using it but it seems to be helping. But that could just be a placebo effect 🤔.

Today was high reps with the weights again followed by 12x300m with 1min rest at r21. 1.54.5.
Arm bike 10min. Bike for 10min. Then ski erg 8x 1min on 1min off 2:05 pace r28. Just getting a feel for the technique of it still. :fsgrin:
T-shirt was wet through so it must have been working. 😅

51 years old.
Mat
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

Ouch - that hurt!! :shock: :shock:
C5218008-F6F9-4970-B66A-7376AB2FBF9F.png
C5218008-F6F9-4970-B66A-7376AB2FBF9F.png (242.54 KiB) Viewed 932 times

On another note - good going Jason. Sounds like you’re working hard. I won’t get involved in the supplement debate… haven’t looked into it all for a looong time!!
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Without wishing to extend the conversation too far, if you fancy an interesting take on placebos: https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... ce.science

Jason and Mat: Looks like you're pushing hard Image

Monday's effort is over on the PB thread Image, while yesterday was a series of shorter rows following a last minute need to travel into Laaandun.

Today was a decent variable rate HM, and a touch faster than last time. I don't want to get all competitive with myself - this week of rows (apart from Monday) really should be ut2.....

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Mat

Post by Mat »

Me again…

Congrats on the PB Ian =D> =D> and I hope you were careful in that there London :!: Nice HM today 8)

Bit if a niggle in the upper back during this morning’s 30R20, but took it steady and it was no better, but no worse by the end. Followed up with my weights / hip rehab session
94BEA47D-AC2A-4CA3-A4C2-A4DBA6B14F89.jpeg
94BEA47D-AC2A-4CA3-A4C2-A4DBA6B14F89.jpeg (48.49 KiB) Viewed 890 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Not sure if the creatine is working or it's just placebo but either way I felt very good in the gym this morning. :D
Hight rep weights first followed by 12x300m with 1min rest 3600m..1.53.3...r21 fastest I have been for a while and felt controlled. Then 10min on the arm bike and 10min on the static bike.

Back on the dreaded nights for 3x12 hour shifts now so not much training going on. 🙃.

Train hard and train well team. :fsbgrin:

51 years old.
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

My latest training session. Let's talk about Sunday. If I have time, there will be a special slot around noon. On Sunday, the coach told me to row a HM in zone 3. I did it. Nothing special. It was a little bit to make a difference. A start to join the higher zones after spending a lot of time in the lower zones. I then rowed a few times in zone 2 on Monday and Tuesday. Finally today the first interval workout in weeks. A just row for me. Once again, the pictures can tell a different story. What kind of well known workout was that?

Creatine works well for me in terms of speedwork, as a slowtwitcher only minimal muscle thickness is noticeable for me.

I could tell a longer story about this HM.... Plan was to hold ~1:56 split to the end. But somehow my friend and coach was bothered, and writing and rowing are hard to reconcile. I left it with these little words. Or a prompt...well...let it go. I wanted to stop some craziness. I won't. Since I have such a serious job, I love my craziness for balance. That's how it is.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230315_153732_Companion.jpg
Screenshot_20230315_153732_Companion.jpg (250.1 KiB) Viewed 874 times
hm fightlikeDirt.jpg
hm fightlikeDirt.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 874 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

That's an impressive HM Claudius - the undiscovered land of low 1:20s is a distant dream for me.

Mat

Post by Mat »

Looks as if it’s HM week on here - nicely executed halfs from Claudius and Ian =D> =D> Hope you don’t mind if I don’t join the party [-X :lol:

Tough interval session too Claudius :twisted: Jason - good to hear of the improvements and good luck with the night shifts

It’s been one of those weeks - sometimes your the hammer and sometimes you’re the nail :?
After baling on the CTC on Sunday, it was an easy ride in Monday and a tough Zwift race on Tuesday :shock: I did a steady 30R20 on Wednesday before a team time trial on Thursday: with a very strong team on a tough course I came off the back off the group exhausted after just one of 3 laps :-s

So had to finish the week with a positive - CTC beckoned again and I started steadily at 5k pace and was disciplined throughout to keep from blowing up (details will be in CTC thread). Glad I did as it was still a tough final couple of intervals

It’s the weekend!!
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Impressive CTC Mat ImageImage

Mixed Saturday:

Kicked off with a straight forward 10k. Haven't done a focused one of these for a while, so it was largely a fact finding mission to see where I was. PB+20s as it turns out, which isn't too bad.

Finishes with a gentle Hiit session at the local gym.

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Back to 10k training:

Given Saturday's effort, the pacing here was probably about right.

Mat

Post by Mat »

Good marker for the start of your 10k plan Ian =D> An improvement of 1’ per 500m over the plan should be achievable to knock over that PB :twisted:

Mixed weekend for me with some weight and some time on the Wattbike. Back on the Erg this morning for a 6x6’ session alternating 18/20 spm

D3F50C97-31E0-45B0-8BE4-B685C473E01D.jpeg
D3F50C97-31E0-45B0-8BE4-B685C473E01D.jpeg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Looks a tasty session Mat. As for me knocking over my 10k PB..... We'll see.

A steady session this morning - signs of improvements in general CV which is nice.

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Good progress, Ian and Mat. I see in your 6x6 in these Zone-Rings-of-Power that there was still much left in the tank, Mat. So it was on the edge of LT1 ? Same Z2 effort on your 55min, Ian ? Great rows !
Today was another "Volume Tuesday". Everything went according to plan. The plan was revealed during the workout. FM distance on the rower, split into 3 workouts. With 2 Sisyphean workouts. Maybe I will explain what is that another day. Or one might guess. Pictures could reveal so much. On the first Sisyphus, the core-workout for today, it rode up the alpe."Give me some extra bursts in the bends", so it was an interval session as well. For a change and to stress the bones a bit and not leave running out of it: a mini trail run of 3.33km. That's it for today.
Attachments
Sisyphus I.jpg
Sisyphus I.jpg (121.03 KiB) Viewed 760 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Surely that boulder is serving a purpose Claudius?

A straight forward negative split session:

I say straight forward, but I've bailed on this several times (hence the comparison being rather a long time ago). Effectively start at 2k+23 and knock 2s off the pace every 4 minutes. By simple mathematics, this is slower than my 10k from the weekend but it seems that much harder.

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Yesterday was a recovery-row-day. Easy. Low Hr. Even a little lower than usual. Reveals the strained system.

Ian- of course your workout was more than Zone2 - just saw the HR around 70% -but I guess this is from Hr max not Threshold Hr ? So it is more Zone 3 and 4 ? The graphic on your picture reveals a deeper insight. Yesterday you also crossed the red zone ! Nice negative split !

The boulder up the AdZ hill is something special. I like the stats they created within. For every bend it takes, I will be watching it. There is also something else "Sisyphean" in it.
Attachments
rekomrow.jpg
rekomrow.jpg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 727 times
(J.R.R.T.)
Mat

Post by Mat »

Well done all

I seem to have had my own Sisyphean task this week which has been a bit of a struggle

Off with the family to Centre Parcs this weekend for a much-needed break

Normal service will resume next week
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Not sure this qualifies as training, but I went into the gym in our apartment complex in Alvor to see if the rowing machine was working. I checked, and it was.

On a whim, I decided to do a 1000m row in order to set my first ever time as a 70 year old. Started off way too ambitiously, but managed not to HD and finished in 4:09.7. Just above half way point in the 70-79 rankings, but as I’m only 2 days past my 70th birthday, I guess that gives me something of an advantage.

If my back isn’t acting up over the next couple of days, I may hop back on for a longer session. Don’t thing I’d be up to doing this month’s CTC though.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Nice one Paul Image

Nice to see a flattened HR trace. Now to avoid either the CTC or a 10k test over the weekend....

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

After a smattering of pacing efforts over the weekend (not at all a euphemism for a failure at the CTC and 10k....):

Very gentle Monday. So much so I forgot about the power strokes initially (then did them every minute rather than every 5)......

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

This 2k sequence is lots of "fun".

Determined this morning that my cooldown should be a repeat of my main session.... There's tumbleweed inside my head some mornings.

Not a hard session in reality, but interesting signs for what my 2k pace could be if I could rate that high for 7 and a bit minutes Image

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Felt rough after a relatively taxing circuits session last night, but the plan called for a 2k test

3s outside my PB from a few years ago which is about right. Tried to hold to fast first 500, hold steady for the next 1k and then push for the remainder. Could/should have gone a little more aggressively at the end. Maybe.