what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by Mat »

Nice Sunday session Jon - always good to get some expert stroke analysis 8) Well done on the 1' performance (I bet the stroke advice went out of the window :lol: )
Definitely not an easy Monday morning session Ian =D>

Busy weekend for us - over the midlands to meet up with family as well as seeing the kids off back to uni... and breathe!

"Bottom Tier" session this morning but still a bit of a tough one mentally with 5 x 8' r1' and varied stroke rates

5CEF52A0-A342-4927-8EB9-4BCD1990F52B.jpeg
5CEF52A0-A342-4927-8EB9-4BCD1990F52B.jpeg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 910 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Tough session - looks familiar from the other plans.

Tabata Image

Went out a smidge too fast and suffered in the active rest more and more as the session went on. Happy to finish it, but more than a little cheesed off that the session average pace slipped back from last time as a result of the "woe is me" first third of the active rest.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Recovery row yesterday, and back to stupid sprints today.

I did a fly and die attempt to hold 1.55s, which mostly worked out (leaving aside slight timing issues with starting bang on). Happy that my HR is heading in the right direction, but am not looking forward to grinding off the next series of tenths.....

Mat

Post by Mat »

Great to see you still working hard Ian :twisted: =D>

Bit of an odd few days for me. Had a lot of pain and swelling from the hip - most since the op, with no real reason why. Started a rowing session yesterday morning but it seeemd to be aggravating the hip, so the last couple of days I've kept to the bike and the rehab exercises

Feeling much better than it was earlier on the week, so may be back on the erg tomorrow [-o<
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Fingers crossed your hip follows orders and returns to normal service soon Mat Image

Gentle finish to the week for me - bit faster, bit less HR effort and happy. Particularly as last night's circuit training was ugly tabata weights/CV mix which was a touch draining:

Still ticking over with weights. Currently trying to find an app to record progress with limited success. Any options out there people recommend?

Mat

Post by Mat »

Nice session there Ian :D

I’m continuing rehab exercises and also incorporating a 20’ walk on treadmill as a warm up ahead of any session and have seen a good improvement in the hip over the last few days with range of motion improving and pain reduced :fssmile:

So… managed an Erg session yesterday but kept strictly to the prescribed pace rather than pushing it as I usually do. Given my lower-than-most stroke rate, I also performed this on at rates if 22-24-26 rather than the prescribed 24-26-28 [-X

A4E3EB85-5A0D-4471-9EBE-B199238DC45D.jpeg
A4E3EB85-5A0D-4471-9EBE-B199238DC45D.jpeg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 821 times
This morning I was back in the bike. Probably do another bike session tomorrow before hitting the Erg again on Monday

7B46EDC2-B1A5-4D0E-B406-421077D5D214.png
7B46EDC2-B1A5-4D0E-B406-421077D5D214.png (246.79 KiB) Viewed 821 times
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Schermafbeelding 2023-01-14 om 15.23.51.png
Schermafbeelding 2023-01-14 om 15.23.51.png (37.58 KiB) Viewed 811 times
After considering the C2C, IRL and WOD decided to have a go at my lowest Nonathlon score. Which was 2K. And that was not because I like that distance, on the contrary.
Succeeded in improving my SB, thus my extra Nonathlon points are there. Unfortunately it's still my lowest score, but this time shared with 1K and 60 min. So I can try those before thinking of the 2K again.
Hoped to be able to sprint the last couple of 100mtrs, but no way, I was happy to finish in about the same pace as the rest of the race.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

@fkoene nice SB Image

Interesting start to the week. Safely within the pace target, and therefore improved from last time through. My Garmin HRM decided to ping off after barely a third of the session, so I'm left with my feel for the session as a guide, which was 7/10 for effort.

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Thanks for sharing your training folks. I admire you all for your consistency & pace. Mat look after that hip Image

Thought it was about time I shared what I've been up to. I've been diagnosed with asthma and have had a nightmare at getting it under control enough for me to row the sessions I want too. I've been using the Bike-erg on the frustrating days my lungs say no.

I'm having a go at the 10k rowalong sessions. With the hope I can complete all the sessions.

10kW2S5 20 x 1min R20 1min recovery

Never done a session like this before so even more reason to have a go.

Off for my evening session now ImageImage happy erging folks !!Image

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Nice result Kevin ImageImageImageImage

I'm a week behind in the 10k plan, but cycle through various other sessions so won't reach that again for a little while. Thank goodness.

On the one hand pace is improving, on the other I forgot my HR monitor so i have my finger in the air to say the effort was similar (though for me it's a tough slog at 26spm).

I'd omitted to read the rubric, so I should (technically) have shot for 55s. Hey ho.

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

The results are going the right way Ian ImageImage consistency in paying the erging gods always works.

My offering to the gods last night. The 5/3 split pace at R24 torture the HR monitor finally showed up for the last interval ImageImageImage

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Looks positively vile Kevin ^O^ ^O^
IMG_20230119_104245.jpg
IMG_20230119_104245.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 716 times
IMG_20230119_114556.jpg
IMG_20230119_114556.jpg (498.93 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Modest half hour today for me, with the graph doing the talking for me :fsbgrin:
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Never thought 30R20 was modest Ian Image

My last 2 10kplan sessions. Must admit I'm rather enjoying it Image

I've taken some advice on my asthma & erging. I have changed my warm up especially. I am now doing a 20 minute warm up before my main piece especially if I'm going into the red zone. So far it's working fingers crossed.ImageImage

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

Since I started on the ergo many years back I have never not completed a piece, even if it meant limping home for half the distance. I came close today.

I’ve had a virus for weeks now and have been feeling crap, hence no posts here. I did a 3x10min last week which was a disaster - slow and HR through the roof. 3x12 today felt terrible and I decided early on that I would just do 2x12 instead. But I managed to stick it out and actually felt better in the 3rd 12 than in the other two. Took off the HR band so I didn’t get too depressed and rowed strapless to give me a technique focus.

Small steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Jon, hope with the benefit of a few days away from that session you'll see the plus sides - technique session, finishing etc are all big positives.

Did a very similar session myself this morning by chance:

Leaving various other points aside, I'm curious why rep 2 seems to be the most taxing for me in both sessions Image

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Jon look after yourself trying to come back too soon has tripped me up many a time. My hard found rule of thumb is if you feel good to start back today dont erg until tomorrow Image
Ian the middle intervals are always the toughest metres.

My offering tonight was W3S5

10/5/10/5/10
Can honestly say that was comfortable. Fingers crossed I'm getting this asthma devil under some form of control (touch wood) HR monitor didn't turn up ImageImage

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

I'd like to have a comfortable row like that Kevin ImageImage

Meanwhile:

Relative to your description, this was never comfortable but never tipped over the line of utterly vile. Which I suppose is progress.

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Certainly improving Ian faster at a lower stroke & heart rate ImageImage

I had an odd one today that I have never done before.
W4S1 30 minutes split into 4/1 minute x 6 sections at R20/R28
I just let the pace drift upwards in the end. I always find R28 a difficult rate for me to hold.Image

Mat

Post by Mat »

Nice consistent work over the last week or so from Ian, Jon and Kevin =D> =D>

I've been a bit all over the place since I last posted, focused initially on hip rehab exercises, and then spending a little more time than usual on the Wattbike in the various virtual worlds of Zwift (the bike aggravates the hip a little less than the erg). I've managed a couple of rowing sessions but nothing worth posting (including a fly 'n' die 1' attempt for the IRL after baling on my planned session)

So today I started again with a new focus. I don't really like faster stuff but I'm going to embark on the RA 2k plan and see how it goes. I did the first session (30R20) a few days ago and so sat down for the hour-long 10 x 3' r3' session today. The 2k session plan also seem to include an "enforced" warm up and cool down which was rather novel. I've no idea what my 2k pace would be at this point so I chose an arbitrary 1:42 which means that this session at 2k + 5 was around the 1:47 mark though I wasn't too strict...

7B1D1A0D-EBC6-4979-B4B1-C62BD4635C29.jpeg
7B1D1A0D-EBC6-4979-B4B1-C62BD4635C29.jpeg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Nice pace to finish Kevin ImageImageImage

And fingers crossed for an improvement for you Mat - it's a tough sequence of sessions in the end but I've seen lots of people improve. What's your target?

As for me:

A little faster for the same level of effort Image

I had my excuse of a heavy circuit training session at the ready too - 20 minutes of press ups ......

Mat

Post by Mat »

Ian Bee wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 am And fingers crossed for an improvement for you Mat - it's a tough sequence of sessions in the end but I've seen lots of people improve. What's your target?
I've genuinely no idea Ian as its been so long since I really went all-out a 2k. I did a couple of hard efforts last spring as I was building back up and wanted to see how close I was to 7' (just a couple of seconds off), and the last one I remember before then was a aiming for a PB in BIRC 2012 (I think it was). The wheels came off with 300m to go and I hit 6:20.x :? So I'm fairly confident that at the end of this programme I'll be somewhere between the two :lol: That's if I get there - I found that I really struggled with hard / fast intervals since my hypothyroidism developed (one of the reasons I gave up rowing), so lets see how this goes. I'm sure I'll find out what my pace should be as I go along but reckon I'll be somewhere in the 6:40s

Nice improvement from you in the 32' session 8)
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Mat I'm so glad you don't have a 2k clue Image neither do I !! Image I have a 10 x 3 coming up this week too Image but with 90 seconds recovery. Pace guide is 2k +7-10 then build after the first 4 intervals ?? More like hold tight for me ImageImage
Steady improvement Ian Image are you aiming for a TT sometime so ?? What distance ??
W4S2 for me tonight ImageImage

Mat

Post by Mat »

Nice session Kevin 8)

10x3’ with just 90” recovery is a completely different animal as the effect of the intervals will linger and build up… good luck :twisted:

Back on the weights for me this morning after a 6 week hiatus… my usual 3x10 exercises @ 20” on / 40” recovery. Felt good to work the muscles
Followed up with a Wattbike Zwift session and a final 15’ walk on the treadmill
Feels like I earned my breakfast :D

34184C2A-02DD-47E7-9576-FB41F5FD33E8.png
34184C2A-02DD-47E7-9576-FB41F5FD33E8.png (258.75 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Nice sessions Image- share the fear of that particular mix.

Kevin - not entirely sure what the long term target is. I'm still following my general mix of sessions (definitely long distance bias), but all this talk of 2k times......

This one nearly beat me - 3m rests seems a luxury but it's disturbing how quickly that time slips away.

Happy with the improvement, but my Garmin dropped out so I'm left to consider what my effort was (maybe 7-8/10?). Force curve looks ok though Image

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

The cycling looks fun Mat. I've never ventured onto the zwift platform. I'm having a break from the weights for a while although I won't miss the EMOM 10 sets of 5 sessions ImageImage
That 12/10/8 looks a dodgy one Ian !! Still improving though Ian ImageImage

10kW4S3
Never done this before so had no guide on pace Image I decided not to push my asthma with R28 & went with R26 as the target. I've got a reasonable benchmark now to push off from hopefully Image fingers crossed.Image