what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by Mat »

That’s a lot of swimming Paul ^O^ Good to see you got a short walk in this weekend by way of a change :wink:

I finally earned the Tron bike today with a trip halfway up the Alpe

3DB8D1BD-497C-41C2-A1C0-CD25432E397B.png
3DB8D1BD-497C-41C2-A1C0-CD25432E397B.png (181.71 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I've fallen off the 10k plan wagon in the last couple of weeks. But I've still been erging just when I can (building projects going on) so this evening I treated myself to a relaxing HM ImageImage
Great to see your swimming exploits Mr Gould Image swift looks looks fun on that wattbike Mat. Ian great consistency and improvement ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Mat

Post by Mat »

Good to see you managed to squeeze in a half-marathon Kevin =D>

I sympathise with the building projects - in the middle of a decking “project” and suddenly we get a couple of issues in one of our cottages requiring the partial re-tiling of the bathroom and the replacement of the kitchen floor. A long weekend ensued and the fatigue meant that yesterdays 3x12’ session was curtailed after just one interval!

Hopefully broken the back of it now [-o< and determined to make up for yesterday I embarked upon today’s 10x3’ with some trepidation. Pleased with the execution in the end

4490D383-CEAD-44F9-946A-36380C752CDA.jpeg
4490D383-CEAD-44F9-946A-36380C752CDA.jpeg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Back on it today after a week off. Fingers still a bit stiff but need to crack on. :wink:

Went for 12x300m with 1min rest today. 1.55.6 average. :)

Training on the erg will be more sporadic for 2 months. Back on nights. It's hard work focusing on rowing when I am over tired. :roll:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Erging while on night shifts sounds horrid Image

Mat I know how you feel with holiday cottages Image my pet hate with ours is hot tub malfunction ImageImage I've been bumping out blocks & stone for hours on end this week. I'm using the erg as a relaxing rest ImageImage this was last nights rest.
Those 3 minute intervals look good Image nice "big boys pants" effort on your 2k too ImageImage mine was a gentle ish plod ImageImage

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

There is some great training going on here. After a recovery week followed by a few days with a cold, I hope to jump back on the training wagon. Most of all, congratulations to you, Mat, for unlocking the most interesting bike in the entire universe: the Tron bike. ^O^ =D> :!: Don't call it a concept bike - that word belongs in the real world, right in our business. I wrote something about a Tronie and the Tron...pointing to a golden age. That's the way it's supposed to be. Let's see when I'm ready for hard intervals again. The muscles have fully recovered. Before spring starts and I leave the underworld of indoor training more often and get out of the "pain cave" or whatever you want to call it, and go outside to work out.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Mat

Post by Mat »

All the best with balancing training and night shifts Jason - are you still building fighter jets?

No rest for the wicked Kevin :roll: We haven’t put in hot tubs for that very reason - good luck for the season.
Nice session, though I was trying to work out whether it was an hour and you forgot to stop, or just a question of sitting down and going until you’d had enough :-k

Thanks Claudius - the best thing about unlocking the Tron at the moment is that I don’t have to keep climbing! Hope you’re ready for those hard sessions soon :twisted: I’ll watch in jealously as you start running outside again. I think I’ll try and get the bike up in the mountains this summer

A 32’ R20 bottom rate session for me today. I always find the HR graph interesting to see the drop at the end of each split (even in a continuous session). I count strokes and always use the splits to break sessions into manageable chunks, and find the drop in HR reflects a physiological response to the psychological completion of one section before moving to the next - even though the effort remains constant
6AB43283-3878-44CE-83C3-E837E914A163.jpeg
6AB43283-3878-44CE-83C3-E837E914A163.jpeg (44.17 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Mat I got to an hour & then thought I'd round it up to 15k Image sometimes my warm downs are extended so I can get to the end of a movie or episode of a series too ImageImageImage my offering last night was a 30R20 very similar to your session this morning.

Keep up the great work everyone ImageImageImage

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Lots of good sessions. Meanwhile, I snuck off for a mini break to Belfast.

Back to training with a bump last night:

Imagine musical chairs (but running around a sports hall) where all the chairs are actually exercises. Can't find an exercise? Carry on running for the exercise period. Joy.

Dipped the end of a toe into the CTC, and I'm still none the wiser as to what kind of pace I should be trying - back to the Pete Plan logs....

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Mat, your heartrate is even lower than mine these days, congrats to your stroke discipline, both of you, Mat and Kevin. =D>

Ian, that "dangerous" in your app is amazing. Sorry, that's a bit weird. In a normal state, physiological attempt for a workout, there is no dangerous, just a quit if it comes too hard. But what can I say about apps and stuff. PiCCo says... Computer says...no. You know...Little Britain. I love it! :roll: [-o<

2 sessions today, straight after a "relatively lousy" 24h shift a 7.7k as a insignificant "just row" with Jacques. In the afternoon I checked my phone, and noticed a short group ride called "The Muckle Yin" - A route badge which a friend is still missing, "so what are we waiting for" ? - Just another insignificant "just row". 10k mostly Z2. Prompt me for details.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

"Just row" Just the next one. At work on a static. My newest static. I guess I will write a small summary in the topic old vs. new erg. This was a very lucky long+ hour 1:17. It was the last official cycling badge to grab with/for...my rowing profile. It was Achterbahn in Innsbruck. Since I never know if there will be a c-section or any other disturbing things on work, I gave this special Avatar all possible gains (F1.5) fun is fast. There was no c-section and so the badge was taken in a good time. I like the name "delivery room" as a ctc team. Wonder if they are all pregnant, working as a midwife or is it just because there some specific sounds in the delivery room which may be familiar if you do an all out interval session. I miss a bit the ctc. But sorry, I am still "off".
Attachments
050323_2.jpg
050323_2.jpg (165.74 KiB) Viewed 960 times
050323.jpg
050323.jpg (235.95 KiB) Viewed 960 times
(J.R.R.T.)
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Nice sessions Claudius. I'd give any meaning to the categories a huge pinch of salt - according to my watch, I don't hit cardio targets after three circuit sessions a week (3hrs total).

Really rough session. Looking back, I'd bailed on this since September (charitably because of the erg going walkies), so with a weighed down erg I at least finished.

In theory, this should be at 500m pace but in reality was +5 ish. Good marker for next time.

paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Some good training happening within the team =D>

Another good training week for me, again no rowing and less swimming volume

Mon: Swim 2000 m
Tue: Swim 2000 m
Wed: Walk 33.5 km
Thu: Swim 2200 m
Fri: Swim 2500 m
Sat: Walk 41.5 km
Sun: Swim 5100 m(my longest pool swim for over 4 years)

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Mat wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:39 am All the best with balancing training and night shifts Jason - are you still building fighter jets?
Yes I am. Moved on from the typhoon to the American JSF. :fsbgrin: Got divorced and remarried again. So all in all been a busy old time. :lol:

Today was the 12x300m with 1min rest at r21. 1.56.5 pace. After heavy weights.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Mat

Post by Mat »

Great couple of session Ian - good of Claudius to notice the "Dangerous" classification :lol: I'd be inclined to agree that you'd be likely to fall off the erg before it got really dangerous! Horrible looking 20s/10s session today too, but well executed =D> =D>
Kevinhorne44 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:32 am Mat I got to an hour & then thought I'd round it up to 15k Image
Sound like a good plan :D

Claudius - the Muckle Yin is of course one of the new Scotland courses which I've enjoyed in recent weeks. All pretty challenging being fast, bit with various climbs throughout. Not sure how that translates to the rowing machine though? Either way - really great couple of sessions =D>

Still a whole lot of swimming and walking going on in Paul's world (inc 5100m!!) huge respect ^O^
hewitt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:37 pm Yes I am. Moved on from the typhoon to the American JSF. Got divorced and remarried again. So all in all been a busy old time.
Never a dull moment eh, Jason? Good to see you on the erg again. Hope the nights are good to you

Saturday saw me in the bike for 45' session in "The City and the Sgurr" which is the route and time we'll be racing tomorrow in the Zwift Racing League Semi finals for our leagues - I'm expecting pain and sweat :shock: On Sunday I thought I'd get the 10k out of the way for the IRL, and was pretty chuffed with the result - posted on that thread :fsbgrin:

This morning I woke ahead of the alarm and promptly turned it off and went back to sleep. Sometimes you have to show the erg who's boss :lol: :lol:
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

The alarm rules some days Mat Image

I thought today's session would be gentle:

Heart rate went higher than I expected and stayed level throughout, but felt steady ish. Remembered the power strokes every minute which helped the time flow

spidermac

Post by spidermac »

Hi folks - great to see this thread still so busy; starting the long slow return to fitness - caught pneumonia at the start of January & only now feel in a position to slowly restart. RHR still hi but managed a wout - will be a bit sporadic till April but hope to keep it up.
Did latest EM wout - 5x6min R60s (he did 45s)
Wup - 1k
06:00.0 1360 21 144 02:12.3
06:00.0 1369 21 148 02:11.4
06:00.0 1390 23 155 02:09.4
06:00.0 1392 23 157 02:09.3
06:00.0 1409 24 159 02:07.7
30:00.0 6919 22 152 02:10.0
CD - 1k
Not easy but very happy to finnish! Onward '& upward.
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

spidermac wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:58 pm Hi folks - great to see this thread still so busy; starting the long slow return to fitness - caught pneumonia at the start of January & only now feel in a position to slowly restart. RHR still hi but managed a wout - will be a bit sporadic till April but hope to keep it up.
Glad to see you back Spider. I did wonder where you had got to. Really sorry to hear you have been ill, but glad to hear you are on the road to recovery :fssmile:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

I admire your swimming, Paul :!: =D>
Long 6min intervals Spider :idea: :D
Today for me 2x rowing with ToW and once running. Increasing intensity.
Attachments
long run hessenreuth 03_23.jpg
long run hessenreuth 03_23.jpg (164.33 KiB) Viewed 867 times
(J.R.R.T.)
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Welcome back indeed Spider.

I'm stumbling towards the stated target for this session (around 500m pace), which remains a few rounds away.

paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Claudius wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:59 pm I admire your swimming, Paul :!: =D>
Thanks Claudius - the distances I swim would be a bit of a joke to a proper swimmer but because I am so slow i spend a lot of time in the water and get a good workout :lol: :lol: .

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Deceptively easy looking session. 500 pace is still eluding me.

Mat

Post by Mat »

Bit of a catch up here having been away mid-week visiting our daughter at Uni

Spider - sorry to hear you've not been at all well. I was thinking you were still away skiing and living the life! good to know you're on the mend :fsgrin:

Ian - some great sessions this week =D> =D> =D>

Claudius - 3 sessions in the one day ^O^ ^O^

So, Tuesday for me was the ZRL semi-finals - a very painful timed event up and down "The Sgurr" in Zwift's Scotland world. Really tough 45' session but pleased with the performance and some great PB numbers for my 20' and 5' w/kg :D
E248EEAD-1235-49B2-9459-6596714CEDF8.png
E248EEAD-1235-49B2-9459-6596714CEDF8.png (184.54 KiB) Viewed 746 times
Off Wed, and too tired to train yesterday morning after a very late night drive back through the snow (freezing cold in the car as we worried that the electric range wouldn't get us home in one go and didn't want to have to stop :lol: )

So this morning I figured I'd fit in a row and a cycle. Trimmed a little off the recommended 30' session (R18/20/22) so that I could get on the bike before the first of my "Tour of Watopia" session at 7am (I did think I'd left enough time for the full row, but reckoned without the 4' warm up in Ergzone :evil: ). Happy with today's training :fsbgrin:
28287FDF-E5D5-4021-BF26-A14DDDF23F5A.jpeg
28287FDF-E5D5-4021-BF26-A14DDDF23F5A.jpeg (73.71 KiB) Viewed 746 times
B57664DE-64FC-4F8E-86B2-217D8C32B71F.png
B57664DE-64FC-4F8E-86B2-217D8C32B71F.png (228.85 KiB) Viewed 746 times
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

That's a good double session Mat Image
IMG_20230310_160714.jpg
IMG_20230310_160714.jpg (397.06 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Tough end of the week of 500m sessions. Might have set out too fast as the last two or three reps really were touch and go whether I'd finish.

Mat

Post by Mat »

Great session Ian - well done for hanging in there =D> =D>

Odd weekend mix for me: picked up the weights on Saturday with a new commitment to doing these at least twice per week. Yesterday I sat down to the CTC session, but struggled after going off too fast so gave it up after the third interval and jumped on the bike instead! Biked again this morning and we've a race tomorrow so not likely to be back on the erg until Wednesday

Have a good week all :fsbgrin: