LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Jessica-Red »

Ladies-I want to ask you if you found yr split times improved as you lost those kgs- I cannot get my splits down no matter what i do and it s driving me mad- i can sprint but not for long but I keep practicing and hope losing lots more weight will help????
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Just returned from WeightWatchers-lost 3lbs this wk and am very pleased with that as had 2 social occasions to eat out at :D
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

JR, I'm with you at this one about training and improving your split time; hence, I read this BB closely with the hope that someone would sprinkle magic here I can just take it and apply it to myself! I wanna look so marvelous in that gorgeous tight red dress.

It took my DH about 8 months to show me that training is a good thing to use for losing weight and improving my rowing. My DH lost his 30 pounds within 6 months by following the program. I need to say in my defense that he has several things in his favor! He is a younger MAN which means that he ought to have easier time losing weights! He did while I struggle to lose weight. Plus, his biggest problem is to keep his HR at or below 85% whereas, I struggle to keep my HR at or above 70%. :P Right now, his butts look so cute that I just have to squeeze it several times everyday :fsbgrin:

I am currently on this program, http://www.concept2.com/us/training/goa ... htloss.asp

This program is remarkable in that this program has been set up so I do not need to do any planning. I just follow the program but for today, I'd do two days (had to skip yesterdays so I can be with my DH). I found that my split time has improved to my split time before I started the program. Plus, I am able to row faster for longer period of time. It feels so awesome to be able to do that. I am starting to see the light at the end of tunnel by seeing that my split time will be more similar to those who have trained for years when I am in a better shape.

Also, the results after my first 2k show that my VO2max

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/too ... vo2max.asp

is at fair range which means that I have a lot to go before I reach the good range. I'm feeling good that I will reach the goal of being in "good" range, lose 35 more pounds, and improve my split time within a year just as long as I follow the program closely and do cross training by biking, walking with my neurotic Arabian mare, and playing with my girls and DH.

JR, what are you currently doing now? What about the rest of you? Perhaps, we all can sprinkle magic onto this that we all can lose more weights and improve rowing together. Please.....
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

thanks for those links Ive printed off the training plan and Ive calculated my VO2max which is APPALLING and even under POOR!!!!
Im off to read the plan thanks Chris
:P
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

JR, you can imagine how I felt after I read the VO2max result! I was so confident that I'd be in the good range after I've exercised, sweated, cried, sacrificed and spent money for new clothes since last April - hey, I lost 30 pounds. After I read VO2max, I felt as if I fell through the floor. :oops: :shock: I took a step back to look at myself realistically and realized that I still have flab of fats all over. (shrugs shoulders) My DH was supportive on that day - he had been telling me to follow the program but I didn't listen! ](*,)

I should have known better because he is a typical GEEK who does research just about everything before he'd start anything! I still retained the lessons that I got from my Dad who was a marathoner and an author of the book about running which was published during the 70's...he told me that just go for slow and long will help me to get lean all over. My DH told me that current research on exercise has proven that pushing HR is just as important as exercising past such amount of time to burn off the carbo reserve. I now listens to my DH ^O^ on exercising as well. I can see my DH laughing the typical GEEK laugh! =;

Please let me know how you are doing here and at WW. the more women get on the band wagon, the more likely we will lose weight!!!! :fsbgrin:
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

I've lost about 15 pounds since Jan 1. I can say that weight bearing exercise is much easier--probably because my joints don't hurt as much. But I also believe that I've lost some muscle along with it because my leg strength seems to be decreased. (I was doing squats from a seated position today, and failing after 1st set w/ only 95 lbs on my shoulders.)

As far as VO2max, at my old 2kPB I'm Average, and my guess at a current run is Fair (I just can't stand the pain of a 2k, so haven't really done a solid try lately). I've never thought of VO2max as being directly related to BMI though. I know some pretty skinny people who are in very poor shape. :wink:

One frustration I have with exercise weight-loss plans is that many of them assume that you are starting from the point of not exercising. I have been working out 5-6 days a week for about 5 years. (Although last year was a bit off due to injury/illness.)

And while I've increased my exercise by adding 3 hours of cardio a week (all rowing) since November (for a total of about 9 hours a week), I didn't start losing any weight until I started cutting calories in January (avg 1200 a day). At that calorie count I find it hard to believe that I'm at a point of muscle-wasting, so I can't really explain the decreased strength.

I find it all very frustrating, so am very glad of the positive support of this forum, and especially this thread.
Cheers,
Kris
[giving up on PBs and SBs. Just Row.]
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

FRUSTRATING IS RIGHT!!!!

maybe we need some sport scientist to use us as experimental guinea pigs for some magical way of sorting us out!!!

meanwhile
KEEP ROWING ON GIRLS!!!! :P

isnt it a shame we dont all live near each other and cld meet to train!!!! :?
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:oops: :cry: I gotta confess that I'm still doing cardio and pushing my HR at around 70% but I'm not losing any weights yet since two weeks ago. It is simply because I've comforted myself with lots of simple carbohydrates which is terrible. I feel overwhelmed here with a lot of "must do" things that I just want to sit down and eat. It feels good to see the others on this thread that I just want to start today with almost no simple carbohydrates.

Keep Rowing! Keep Rowing, push HR to at or above 70% for longer than 40 minutes, eat well, and keep on loving ourselves. Just let the weeds go where they may be. I will cut them out when I'm ready.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

For blubber burning today I did a 5km warm up followed by coffee !! then 3km intervals x 10 with 2.5 min breaks for over 3 hours!! tired?? YES!
:shock:
Carole Sergeant
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Jessica-Red wrote:I did a 5km warm up followed by coffee !! then 3km intervals x 10 with 2.5 min breaks for over 3 hours
JR, when you relate stuff like this, it makes me feel silly over the 9 hours a week I exercise. I don't know how you do it!

My only effort yesterday was a shabby 6k. I got no sleep, and could barely drag myself out of bed.
Cheers,
Kris
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

Wow! :shock: JR, you did well yesterday! I biked for one hour and no rowing. :cry: I had no time to row which was terrible.

Today, I AM going to bike, row, and walk. I intend to row 40 minutes twice.

I weigh yesterday at 167.5. I wil weigh myself again next week just like I'd be reporting to WW.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Thanks but Kris I dont do all those other exercises you do at bootcamp AND my split times are pathetic! :(
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Christine did you do yr 2 lots of 40 mins!!!!???
report yr weigh in here and on the weight loss thread and we will all keep each other motivated- together we can achieve ANYTHING

WOMAN POWER! :P
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

mixed bag of bits for me today with 4 x5kms each like wading through a tub of treacle! with bits of weights and whatnot in between and a well deserved skinny cappucino at halfway point!
:?
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Where have all the ladies gone!!!??

Hope you are all well and busy rowing!???

I have yet ANOTHER ear infection when will it ever end!
taken a month to get a referrral to hospital and now have to wait 2 MORE months for my actual appointment! :? :( :cry:
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:oops: I have been rowing but not faithfully like I should have. :( I've been rowing, biking, and walking with my horses. Still, I don't feel as if I've achieved much. I have this HUGE black cloud hanging over my head - the long driving trip from Wisconsin to South Carolina and then to North Carolina before going back to Wisconsin. I plan on exercising like crazy each day to help let go of the energy that I will have.

I hope that your ear infection will take care of itself. It is very painful - I used to have it twice a year for three or four years. It felt like someone blew up a very hot balloon inside my ear starting at the tube on down to my throat! Ahhhhh! Hope you get enough painkillers to tide you over!
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

Where have all the ladies gone!!!??
I thought I was missing but I have been found. :lol:

My chest muscle is healing and I am happily rowing at home on our new Model D. I am feeling stronger each day.

I started to do two workouts during the day because of time committments.

I am getting closser to the 4M meter mark for this season :P Perhaps I will be there in 2-3 weeks.
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

I'm going to leave Saturday and come back in two weeks to start rowing like a maniac! :D I hope to find terrific C2 along the stops on the way to South Carolina and on back home.

Otherwise, I wish you all a TERRIFIC Spring break!
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Anne glad you are recovering and happily rowing on yr lovely new machine-take care and lets get you to the 4 million club joining Peter-well done to him!

Christine-Goodness that sounds like a very long way indeed beyond the comprehension of me as a Brit who thinks 100 miles is far in a car! I have sent you a message to speed you on yr way safely and hope all goes smoothly if possible! Deep breaths when all is stressful

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
:P :D
Carole Sergeant
commodoreann
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Your Ears and Women Talk

Post by commodoreann »

Jessica 8)

Hope your ears are doing better. What a bummer! My daughter, when very young, had ear infections and certainly, kept us up all night. She in now 22 and hopefully in good health :P . We will say a blessing for you for a speedy recovery.

I too have been a yo-yo all of my life. (weight wise) :^o

Glad to say, presently, I am at the weight I ran marathons ((30 years ago)). :fswink: :fsbgrin:

It MUST be that Free Spirt effect.

I have gotten down to 141, this morning. Yes, a size 6 fells good when you ar 5'7".

I actually row a faster 1/2 marathon than I could run! My best was 1:44 and change. I have rowed a 1:42. My best full marathon running was 3:54 and change but that feels like another lifetime.

Christine.

Perhaps, a heart rate lower than 70% would put you in a "fat burning" zone. Some studies seem to say that lower heart rates lead to more fat burning. Don't know if it is really true.

WWTGS?
"What would the Goons say?" :-k
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Congrats Anne on the new size and I hope you get to celebrate by shopping. I did some damage this past weekend at an outlet mall. Eddie Bauer is my weakness.

JR, I hope your ears stop burning, aching etc.

And Christine, I hope you have satellite radio... that makes the drive bearable and you will avoid the extreme religious stations that are prevalent through KY, TN, and GA.

I'm procrastinating with all the work I have to do, thus am trying to push my daily meters closer to 20K and also to prep for the FM at the end of April. The main work-out is 15K with P10's, or 20's mixed in.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Anne-size 6 :shock: :shock: :shock:
that equates to Uk size 10 I think- yr the same height as me
I will NEVER be a UK size 10
my bones are too big- size 8 feet /8 " wrists etc etc !
any excuse! :lol:

thanks for the get well wishes but this morning I have no voice just a croak accompanied by sore burning throat and cough !!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
AND Im going to a concert tonight 1.5 hr drive away! somehow I will get there- Im not missing it- it cost too much ! :shock:

BUT TODAY IM NOT ROWING!!!! :? :? :? :? :?
Carole Sergeant
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Not sure what happened, but I stopped receiving notices on updates to this forum thread. Hmmm? So, I'm still here.

JR, if you PM me, I'll tell you about a home-remedy I use for (what was chronic) vertigo. It's kind of yicky, so didn't want to post it here. I think it's ridiculous, and rather irresponsible, that you have to wait 2 months to get treatment for an ear infection. Unbelievable.

My weight-loss bet w/ fellow bootcampers is coming to a close, so I've been juice-fasting this week. Not rowing much, unfortunately. Just finished a slow 6k this morning, but it's only the 2nd time I've rowed this week. Weight-in is Sunday morning, and I'm hoping that I'll be bringing home the $$.

I've also been trying out a new bootcamp program. Again, unfortunately, I don't think this one is for me. A little too lightweight. Funny thing, but this one is advertised for women only. And I think it's because of that that it is not very hard-core. Very annoying.

The one I've been doing is good, but it's a bit far to drive at 5:30am (with my head barely out of dreamland), and the trainer with whom I have the most contact chews bubblegum voraciously, the odor of which is just a bit much for me to take these days. (Anybody else deal with heightened scent sense weirdness? I think it's because of "the big pause".)

So that's what's up with me. I'll resubscribe to this thread and hopefully start getting notices again.
Cheers,
Kris
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Welcome back Kris!!!

bubblegum is YUK!!!!

trainers often think us wmn are delicate little flowers in need of special workouts
Im def NOT a delicate flower LOL!
I wish you well with the weight loss bet- result SOON!

today I feel worse than ever-sinuses /cough/ burning throat/ fever etc so am feeling sorry for myself in my bed with OH waiting on me with medicines tea grapes etc

concert was wonderful but journey stressful feeling like this but Im glad I went

NO ROWING for me next few days- first Ive missed with illness in a long time :? :cry: :-({|= ](*,)
Carole Sergeant
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Sorry to burst in on the ladies thread but had to wish Jessica all the best for a speedy recovery. Take it easy Jessica and get well soon.
pb times