LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

krisplus5
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by krisplus5 »

ChristineL wrote:We are six years apart - STILLL that is a huge difference!
Oh, not so much. My brother's wife is 12 years his senior. At 60 she looks fantastic! I guess a younger man takes years off.
Cheers,
Kris
[giving up on PBs and SBs. Just Row.]
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

JR and Kris, thanks....my DH is still a dear.

do you have hard time bringing your HR to 70% level? Do you experience difficulties bringing it to 70% on one machine but no problem on the other machine?

This morning, I biked on our Life Cycle for 30 minutes to warm up...my HR went from 70 to 115. But, by the end of 30 minutes, I sweat all over. However, when I got on the erg for steady stroke with power ten for 45 minutes, I brought it up to 130 within 10 minutes and sweat just fine. The strange thing happened was when I got back on the bike, I sweat even more profusely and my HR went down from 130 to about 115. there were pools of my sweat on the floor. :shock: :?
Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Jessica-Red »

I cant get my HR up past abt 105/110 no matter what as its controlled with wretched betablocker drugs!!! I trundle along merrily on elliptical trainer sweating buckets & dripping with a heart rate JUSt into the fat burn zone LOL!
:cry:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
jlemon
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by jlemon »

Jessica-Red wrote: Chris- 6 yrs isnt much...
krisplus5 wrote: Oh, not so much.
Would it be inappropriate for me to jump in here and say I told you so?

I told you so! :D :D
--
Jonathan (who has been telling her this for the last 20 years)
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:lol: :lol: [-( :P :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: HUGS! HUGS!
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

JR, I get green with envy just watching people like my DH exercising at or above their 70% HR. All the time I row and bike, I kept on thinking that I'm more like our Clydesdale filly who is cold blooded and Jonathan is more like my neurotic Arabian mare, the hot blooded.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

If Mr JL is hot blooded wrap him up and send him over here quick!
:lol: :P
Carole Sergeant
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Jessica-Red wrote:training today -A nice 15 k this morning to celebrate my 5 million lifers today followed by 9 k in bits and pieces in the afternoon

Im a happy bunny today!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Congratulations JR on reaching the 5 million meter mark!!

So what is next? NYC to Beverly Hills /LA via the Panama Canal?
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

ChristineL wrote:do you have hard time bringing your HR to 70% level? Do you experience difficulties bringing it to 70% on one machine but no problem on the other machine?
I actually have a hard time training at under 70%. My Max is 188, and my resting is around 40-45. When running, I am at 85% or higher (no matter how fast I run). When rowing I'm at around 70% and up to 85% depending on effort. I'm guessing this is why I have such a hard time getting any faster.

On the sweating issue, I find that it is often a matter of where I am time-wise in my workout. During warm-up, I don't sweat for a 5-10 minutes, and then I'll have that sudden pouring sweat even if I am standing still. After the warm-up weirdness, I sweat profusely during cardio. And, it is much worse when I am doing any kind of weight-bearing cardio, like running or stair climbing.
Last edited by krisplus5 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Kris
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

I'll be so glad to send JL over to you, JR to keep your bed warm! We do not need alot of blankets when the weather gets very COLD! :fsbgrin: My mom gave me a HUGE down blanket the size of six down blankets all put together because I was the only one who stole all of her blankets during every winter I lived with her. It turns out that my middle daughter needs it not I. :fsbgrin:

JR, how much more do you need to lose? I weigh at 12 stones and need to go down to 9.64 stones. I think that it is my excessive weight that is one of the major contributing factor to my difficulty to bringing my HR to 70% at ease. I'm not sure, though...

Kris, do you weigh where you want to be? If so, were you heavy before? Did you have a hard time reaching 70%?
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Hi Chris,

I weigh more than I should. But I'm down from 196 2.5 months ago. My high weight 8 years ago was 215 (pounds). Since I started working out regularly about 7 years ago, I've fluctuated between 180-195 (81kg-88kg). Right now I'm at 184. I'm 5'7" in height.

The one thing I have noticed is that with reduced weight, even just 10 pounds, the weight-bearing exercise is much more bearable. My joints don't hurt nearly as much, and I can increase my running speed a tiny bit. This is probably because pain increases your heart-rate, so less pain...? Also, less mass to which to feed oxygen, means lower heart-rate.

My challenge is that as I get lighter, I lose some strength. I am very heavily muscled, which helps with my rowing. But as I lose muscle, my ability to row hard decreases. So I guess it is a delicate balance.
Cheers,
Kris
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

I started this season with the goal of staying on the 10K board. Last year I dropped just below the 5k board. I am working on a 4 million goal for the season. I also dropped a few sizes on the way 8) . We have also changed our eating habits and do not eat processed foods, we cook at home and have left salt out of our diet. There is enough naturally occuring in fish, chicken and meats.

I am addicted to rowing :P but other addictions could be worse. :?

[/quote]15 k left to get to 5 million lifetime
then another 100k to get to New York
then aim to get 5 milliion SEASON metres!
rest a day and start again![quote][

When you do really come to New York, we will be here to greet you! :lol:
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

ooohhh Id LOVE to REALLY come over!! Ill drop a BIG HINT!!!!

Im off to weighin at my WeightWatcher class soon so will report back-not expecting great things in Wk 2 as I took 3 days to burn off a 2lb gain from ONE meal at the chinese buffet! and I didnt even eat as much as i used to there but the chemicals had a funny effect after only a week of eating fresh natural food!
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Am back again-lost 1.5 this wk and got a sparkly WW sticker for my first half stone gone-off to buy a new handbag to celebrate as have decided to reward self with NON FOOD TREATS!!!!
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:fsbgrin: Thanks a billion for reporting back from WW. I can use inspirations like that to keep me going. :fsbgrin:

I recall reading several articles that fat people can be very fit just by exercising. Still, they didn't say whether or not those fit people will get smaller over time. I really do wonder about that. I'm getting smaller very slowly; otherwise, I'd get bigger in no time at all. My patience is wearing thin, though.

"The one thing I have noticed is that with reduced weight, even just 10 pounds, the weight-bearing exercise is much more bearable. My joints don't hurt nearly as much, and I can increase my running speed a tiny bit. This is probably because pain increases your heart-rate, so less pain...? Also, less mass to which to feed oxygen, means lower heart-rate."

Yes, I no longer feel pain in my over pronated (flat) feet which is very awesome. :shock: Do I need to whip myself really hard to get my HR up in no time?! :lol:

The smaller I am, the more difficult I will have in getting my HR up to 70% within the time frame? Is this correct? I hope not! :fsbgrin:
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

I had that foot problem few yrs ago as well PAINFUL-I discovered Nike air trainers did the trick for me and losing the 3 stone I lost back then before I yo yoed upwards again !
my feet have improved even more with the flexibility from rowing

Going to a funeral today with 2 meals involved so hoping to make "wise food choices" !!!!!!
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Well I survived making my wise food choices as best i could with what food was on offer and having missed a day of rowing am off to play catch up!
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

Yesterday was a crazy day that I just had to come home with small (note that - not large! a big improvement :D) meaty pizza for my DH and myself. It is difficult to stop depending on food as a source of comfort. I did not resort to rowing because I needed to escape to the world of movies. :oops:

Feet problem is no fun. Thankfully, rowing is so kind on my feet.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

you should have saved me a small slice! I love movies too!!
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

(Scoot over the slice full of yummy goodies!) Hope you enjoy the bite!
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

I "virtually" rowed into New York Harbour today at 2pm thus completing 5,100,000 metres and now Im off shopping in 5th Avenue!!!! not bad for a girl erging for less than 18 months eh!???
Carole Sergeant
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Jessica-Red wrote:I "virtually" rowed into New York Harbour today at 2pm thus completing 5,100,000 metres and now Im off shopping in 5th Avenue!!!! not bad for a girl erging for less than 18 months eh!???
Ummm, yeah! I've been erging for about 7 years, and I've only got 1,538,996 lifetime meters. You go, girl!
Cheers,
Kris
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

For my next journey my navigator has suggested travelling down the coast to Miami-then round to San Franciso before attempting to cross the Pacific!!! heaven help me!
SO
the next leg is 962 nautical miles or 1,781,624 metres-Off I go then !!!!
row row row the boat!
:roll:
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

This new colourful ticker shows all the skyscapers Im passing as I leave NY city!!!!
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:fsbgrin: I love the look of your skyscrapers! :fsbgrin:

I sure do wish I can row that many meters! I better get going and start rowing!