LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Jessica-Red »

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen

well this has got us all talking hasnt it :D

I appreciate all yr comments and I think everyone is indeed welcome to contribute to this in the usual FS way :fsbgrin:

SO LONG AS

it gets us women rowing FASTER and HARDER!

and gets me THINNER! cos Im fed up of my Ladies Attributes getting in my way!:lol:

yes Webberg you can watch if yr a good boy :P

DR ERG -no comment? :cry:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Simsy,

Finally I find a man who understands my pain
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
ChristineL

Terrific!

Post by ChristineL »

:D We sure can use this women's board for many things. I'm a member on the other board consisted mostly of women where we discuss competitive long distance horse back riding. Boy, there were TMI :shock: but I am going to use most of their recommendations on how we can improve our timing and comfort when this weather warms up. Right now, I'm at a plateau which is infuritating. Really infuriating to see my DH's naked butt that is so much smaller than when he started rowing! :evil: :P My butt remains the same as ever. :oops:
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Thanks for the invitations.

I thought it was good boys who looked the opther way and bad boys who watched? :twisted:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Gooner Neil wrote:I started the LWT thread only cos you big boys can be a bit intimidating at times
Fair point, I didn't go into a rant cause I'm not included under this thread!!! :oops:

In fact there I reckon there is more chance of me entering the ladies only thread than ever entering the LWT one!!!!! :lol:
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
PSims
True Free Spirit

Shrek is IN

Post by PSims »

Doesn't the thread include big girl's blouses then? :lol:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:P Nope! Not those wearing big girls' blouses.

I'm going to have a 2k test this Friday - from what I can see on this forum, I can use the help to get myself rowing faster and harder without hurting my lower back (slipped disc at L5 and just about to slip L4). :o :/ This forum can help......

Can more of you please post here? I can use some inspirations.
PSims
True Free Spirit

Drag

Post by PSims »

Christine,

Be careful to limit the amount of drag you have the machine set to.
Too high a setting won't help your back.
Paul

Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Hi Christine and a warm welcome from us all-you have done brilliantly in your weight loss and smaller dress sizes as I see in yr signature-look forward to chatting with you more :D
Carole Sergeant
Jessica-Red

Not a good training day for me!

Post by Jessica-Red »

Warmed up then did a HM attempt-
AWFUL!!
rubbish time and everything hurt -too much worrying abt what time I wld achieve-wanted to handle down several times BUT
said to self
Free Spirits DO NOT HANDLE DOWN !!!

so turned stops into BREAKS! kept going to bitter end

dunno how really!

have discussed my result privately with Dr Erg!

:P :oops:
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

I usually set the drag between 3 and 5. I shy away from high setting for the reason you pointed out. My big toe usually tells me if my back is hurting by how much my toe becomes numb. The more numb it is, the more likely it is that I'm not using the right form or that I'm pulling too hard. Any thing else???
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

That sounds nasty if yr toe actually goes numb? Have you had treatment or medical advice on rowing with a back injury- try posting on the Injuries thread for more advice from some of our Team who may know more abt this sort of problem-I know you must be very careful not to cause more strain-take care of yourself
:)
Carole Sergeant
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

ChristineL :o

Perhaps having yourself video taped when you are on the machine and bringing it to a Doctor or a physical therapist can help your problem by their analyzing your form. It must be very frustrating and painful.

It sounds to me, as if your problem is physical and needs some attention. I know we all want to row lots of meters but I really feel your pain, mentally and physically.

Personally, my drag is at 3.5 for the entire distance, day in and day out.

My problem today was breathing. It was -2 degrees outside today. It took it toll on me. I was at the "Y" and I was lucky to make it to 10K. I came home went out with my husband and on the way home I said I needed to finish my row. I jumped the the machine and finished another 5K.
I felt great! This was unusual for me because I row my distance at one session. I wish I could predict my days and times.

I hope you can have you numb toe problem resolved soon :wink: :!:
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Re: All for it

Post by krisplus5 »

PSims wrote:And Gooner - don't you find the seams on the fishnet tights hurt the soles of your feet when you are in high heels?
How you know about this particular torture is something I will try not to dwell on! Those seams do hurt, and it doesn't matter what kind of shoes you're wearing.
Cheers,
Kris
[giving up on PBs and SBs. Just Row.]
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

ChristineL wrote:I'm going to have a 2k test this Friday - from what I can see on this forum, I can use the help to get myself rowing faster and harder without hurting my lower back (slipped disc at L5 and just about to slip L4).
Hi Christine,
Be very conscious of your position at the catch. Hunching will definitely irritate your back, if not worse. Keep your back flat, hinge at the hips. Of course, I'm sure your coaches have told you all this and more.
Cheers,
Kris
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Jessica-Red wrote:Kris please explain yr BOOTCAMP ??? what do you get up to there
Bootcamp hmmm...
It's a pseudo-military-style physical training class. 5 days a week, 6am, for an hour. We start out with quick calisthenic warmups, then do the workout of the day, then the class is over and I row my piece, which is generally a 20-30 minute thing.

The workout alternates cardio and strength training. Mondays are endurance cardio, usually running, sometimes step-mill. Strength training on Tuesdays/Thursdays are made up of a series of exercises with little to no rest-break in between. The idea is to keep your heart-rate up by moving from exercise to exercise. This may be on machines, free-weights, or body-weight exercises. Wednesdays are interval cardio, hill climbing is typical, or bleacher-runs.

I've been doing this on and off for about 5 years. It was actually a lot more fun 5 years ago because I didn't know what I could accomplish back then. Every day was a surprise--either positive or negative. Now that I've been doing it awhile I find I have to gauge my performance carefully. Pushing myself to achieve more can result in an injury, which as we all know just slows everything down horribly. Balancing this is my biggest challenge--how to improve without killing myself in the process.

Have been thinking about losing the class and just working out on my own, as I did a couple years ago. However, this morning was not a good example of how well this would work out, as I did not budge from bed until 8am, and did not row either. :?
Cheers,
Kris
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:lol: :D My coach who happens to be my DH would monitor frequently to be sure that I would stay true to the rowing form. Last week, I rowed really hard for 10 k and found my toe to be numb halfway through. I got my coach's attention who also rowed on his machine and he corrected me while we both rowed. Boy, did it feel so much better using correct form. My DH explained that my worst problem was opening too early and that I needed to go strapless! :shock: I've been pain free ever since then. :D

Though, I'm still wary of getting numb again! :/

Another thing I've started differently is that I've decided to follow the winter training program from Concept2 site and that I'm to wear the heart monitor. I'm on the third week and hope to see the getting out of my plateau within this week. I'm getting impatient because soon as the ice melts away, I'm going to ride on my 14.1 hands truly neurotic 8-[ Arabian mare that wouldn't carry the heavy me last Spring. Gotta go and row the stroke pyramids to flush away the unwanted fat! :D
PSims
True Free Spirit

What a DRAG!

Post by PSims »

[quote="ChristineL"]I usually set the drag between 3 and 5. quote]

Probably worth reiterating a point about Drag Factors that have been discussed on other threads over the years.

What is important is the actual Drag Factor the machine is achieving, not just the setting 1-10 on the machine. The actual drag varies from machine to machine and depends whether it has been cleaned recently (or NOT in the case of most gyms).

To ensure you always get a CONSISTENT setting for each workout, do the following:

:arrow: On an older stype (PM2) monitor, press REST and OK together.
DF will appear in the bottom right of the screen.

:arrow: On a PM3, choose More Options....Display Drag Factor.

:arrow: Now pull a few strokes and note the number displayed.
For a lady, C2 recommend a MAXIMUM of 120.

:arrow: Adjust the position of the slider and pull a few more strokes until you achieve the desired setting. You are now "set up" for your row.

Get used to the number you row at and try to set that every time.
That's why some days it may appear more difficult than others - cos you might be rowing against a different resistance.

I row at DF=140. This has been a setting of 6 on 1 machine, whereas a setting of 10 on another only achieved DF=130!!!

Hope this makes sense?

Re: Strapless - helps your technique as well as preventing restrictions in your feet. If your technique is wrong on the recovery, you WILL fall off!

I wiggle my toes every couple of minutes once I'm beyond 30 mins - otherwise they go to sleep as you say. Lactic pooling (build up of lactic acid - the waste products from muscles during exercise - causing aching) happens in rowing in the backside and the feet - cos these are the only bits of your body that are static all the time.
Paul

ChristineL

Re: What a DRAG!

Post by ChristineL »

Probably worth reiterating a point about Drag Factors that have been discussed on other threads over the years.

:oops: :lol: My DH gave me a whole lecture on this today exactly what you said. I will find where my setting is along with my heart rate. My HR is much different from my DH's.
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Re: What a DRAG!

Post by krisplus5 »

PSims wrote:For a lady, C2 recommend a MAXIMUM of 120.
On the model Cs (with PM2) at my gyms the drag is around 130 or so. But on my old model B (with a PM3), the lowest I can get the drag is 190! I'm looking into covering the cage as that may lower the drag, but frankly I find rowing on the model B smoother and easier. Of course that may be because I'm only rowing on the model Cs after a fairly intense workout otherwise. Or maybe it's because I'm better at strength than cardio?
Cheers,
Kris
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

Today I did a 6k then a 4 then a 5 with a bit of "put yr back into it "before I went to Uni
Carole, I saw this on the training thread, and just have to comment that I wish I could regularly pull the kind of meters you put in. I'm always feeling the guilt--you know, "I should be doing this, or that. Attend to that other responsibility..." How do you focus so?
Cheers,
Kris
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Hi Kris

well

I am a part time mature student with a lot of time on my hands being currently without a proper job!

my kids have sort of grown up so my mothering responsibilities are fewer

AND
I am not pulling the powerful splits of other ladies for a lot of my metres -though I aim to increase my power and speed over next year with lots more training

and Im addicted to rowing - :lol:
Im using it to replace my addiction to chocolate :lol:
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

:shock: [-X NOOOOO! Don't replace chocolate with anything! You need theobroma to induce you to feel loved all over. :shock: [-X

I am NOT giving up chocolates. [-X I indulge in chocolates everyday - I just need to push myself harder and I'm seeing first result since I started the program three weeks ago. My Victoria Secret bra is now big. :( :oops: Prior to that time, I rowed and biked about 2 hours everyday and saw no differences from December to three weeks ago. Anyway, [-X I'm not giving up CHOCOLATES! :D
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

training and eating better worked for me this week cos I lost 5.5 lbs on my fresh brand new start!
YAY!!!
Im well chuffed!
:P 8) :P
Carole Sergeant
ChristineL

Post by ChristineL »

Fantastic on the loss! :D =D>