LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: LADIES banter/training/motivation thread ??

Post by Jill »

Barbara, no rush - I think you have quite enough to keep you occupied at the moment … :fsbgrin:

No matter how many HMs you decide to row this time, you do have the advantage of ‘ Been there, done that ‘ and so know what to expect. Look after that elbow though. [-X :fsbgrin: :fswink:

I see that Peggy The Brave has joined you. =D> :fsbgrin:

The Spirit of The Metreboard will keep a benevolent eye on you all. :fsbgrin: Apparently he’s allergic to nerve pills. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Jill :)
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Thanks Jill! The Spirit of the Meterboard is a source of great inspiration and morale support! :fsbgrin:

I'm just coming off a vitreous detachment in one eye, which my eye doctor assures me is completely normal for my age :cry: He checked me for any retinal problems (none found) and says I'm good to go. Though we mostly talked about running, he made a point of saying he approves of my rowing too. I seem to have forgotten to mention cycling...

So, having run out of excuses, I signed up for the Crazy Bear Challenge :lol:

Should be interesting trying to balance the HMs with my current Solstice-to-Solstice triple streak (run, ride, row) that I started last June. Fortunately, my husband is used to this kind of madness, as long as I don't shirk on our runs together [-X

Happy Rowing!

Peggy
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you Peggy. :)

I had to look up vitreous detachment - found the information very useful, especially as in rare cases, it can be an early sign of a detached retina - always wise to have any changes or symptoms, even mild ones, checked out.
K_Cat wrote:is completely normal for my age
Yes, there are times in our lives when we have to expect some wear and tear to certain parts of our bodies :( but judging by your exercise regime there’s still plenty of yours in tremendous working order. =D> ^O^ :)

I'm sure ( joking apart ) that everyone taking part in the CBC will be sensible - Barbara is already giving her elbow some TLC. Good. :D

K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Yes, lots of TLC is needed! and whey protein shakes, and vitamins, and lots of pumpkin pancakes!

I'm curious how Barbara's experiment with the Fitbit Charge HR is going. A wrist HR that also monitors your resting HR! Freedom from the chest strap! That would be great!

I wore a Garmin 225 wrist HR during yesterday's HM, but I also wore my usual Garmin chest strap. The 225 is really meant for running, and the distance etc info for rowing was kind of ridiculous, but the avg/max HR info had good agreement with the PM4 chest strap info. Too bad the 225 can't link to the PM4, like the chest strap, so the HR data from the 225 won't show on the screen while I'm rowing. I really like to know when I can push and when I should back off, especially for long rows. And I doubt the battery would last overnight to monitor my sleep HR (checking for over-training). Garmin still has some work to do there, if they want to compete with Fitbit.

Anyway, so far so good! And an excuse for pancakes! :D

Peggy
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi Peggy - I hadn't tried any of the newer wearable gadgets. And then we had a fall Fitness Challenge at work and I ended up winning a Fitbit Flex. It took f..o..r..e..v..e..r (ok several weeks) to arrive, and you can't exactly complain when it's free. The day the delivery man showed up at the door, my dear mother said "Your Snitfit is here." So that's what I call it now -- my Snitfit. :lol:

The Flex was fascinating right out of the box. I loved the sleep monitoring -- at that point I was up a few times a night with the dog and it was nice to know we were only spending a few mins in the yard when it felt like 20. However it was quickly apparent these devices are good at tracking run/walk/hike and steps, and NOT for rowing on the water or erging. Those activities I have to enter as active minutes, or I'd get a few hundred steps credit for a half marathon - sooo not fair! I also like the weight and hydration tracking. I often get caught in meetings or concentrating at work and don't drink water, keeps me aware.

Jack does a LOT of walking around at work - so I turned the Flex over to him, and upgraded to the Charge HR to see if it was a good sub for my Polar belt / receiver set up. I dislike the belt and putting it on damp, so I wouldn't see reliable HR on the PM until the sweat factor kicked in. Having rowed with them both on a few times now -- if I have the Charge positioned well (i.e., a bit more snug), it tracks quite closely to the Polar. When the two are off, it seems the Charge HR runs ~4 beats lower than the Polar. And occasionally, they are way off each other and I can't figure what to look at. BUT -- I'm not a diehard HR watcher, so the Charge for me works just fine. If I needed more precise data, I would upgrade the chest belt setup and let the wrist gadget tech mature -- as it should do rapidly.

The Charge does seem to do a good job with resting HR and detecting sleep based on heart rate. It has a different setup from the Flex. I started using the Charge on the day Crazy Bear started, so I wish I'd had a week of HR tracking prior to compare against. Spending the better part of 2 hours on the erg nearly every day does seem to keep my heart rate elevated even after in what Charge calls the 'fat burn' zone, but I don't have typical days to compare against... yet. (Also note - Jack has an iPhone and I have an Android, I like the Android sleep chart appearance way more, even when comparing the Flex only on either OS.)

I'm allowing the honeymoon period to pass to see which features stick -- the HR all day/night and Sleep logs are still super interesting to me. Food tracking is cool -- scanning barcodes on what you eat helps the logging -- but I cannot do that level of tracking for every meal or I'd go nuts. I can do it for a week here and there if I'm trying to control sugar intake, or watch calories, or similar short term goals.

Bottom line - I love it. I did NOT need more reasons to be addicted to my phone, :roll: but Fitbit's very compelling. I can only imagine where this type of technology is going... wild stuff.

:D
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Thanks for the update, Barbara! And I'm very sorry about your dog passing :( I know I'll be devastated when my 19+ yr cat is gone, even though she wakes me about every two hours to be fed. Sleep monitoring sounds like a good idea for me too. I'm sure my sleep patterns are a mess. But more HMs will have to wait a few days, since my daughter is visiting.

Happy Thanksgiving! :fsbgrin:

Peggy
Jill

Post by Jill »

Barbara, enjoyed reading about the Snitfit - it was a timely reminder that I ought to use my Polar belt ( don’t like wearing it for the same reason as you ) on a regular basis. :)

Loved the fairy lights on your erg - it might start a trend for next year’s CBC … 8)

I have good news and bad news. The bad news first - I’ve been trying to put together a cheer leaders’ team for the CBC girls but unfortunately so many of the ladies had prior commitments that it was beginning to look like a non event. The good news - some gallant FS men have come forward and enthusiastically volunteered, although understandably, they wish to remain anonymous. There has been the odd squabble over the outfits, ( you know who you are ) and one or two of the men can’t tell their right from their left but otherwise, I think there’re looking good. This is not only for you wonderful Crazy Bear Challenge ladies but for all our other ladies too:

Give me a C \:D/
Give me a B \:D/
And now another “ Keep up at the back there! “ C \:D/
Shake your pompoms \:D/
Now some twirls \:D/
Lets hear it for our lovely girls \:D/
WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOO … “ No! You in the front row. Turn right not left! “ #-o :roll:

Oh dear … 8-[ [-o< :lol: :wink:

“ What’s that? Your crying because your pompoms have been squashed and when you catch the individual who turned left instead of right, you’ll show him what else can be done with a baton, other than twirling it. :x Now. [-X Now. [-X

Oh dear … 8-[ [-o< :lol: :wink:

To be continued … :)
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this, Jill =D>

Can you post a video please? [-o< Of the FS men and their, uh, pom poms.

Reality can only be more wonderful than the visual you've put forth.

:fsbgrin: \:D/ :fsbgrin: \:D/ :fsbgrin: \:D/ :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you Barbara. :fsbgrin:
CamiCrew wrote:Can you post a video please?
You’re going to be disappointed I’m afraid - there was a video but it has mysteriously disappeared … :? :lol: :wink:

As for our plucky volunteers, apart from some bruised bottoms and egos and a few red faces, no real harm done. They’ve even forgiven a certain gentleman, although it’s rumoured, he now has a large luminous R and L tattooed on each corresponding buttock. :shock:

Despite things not going quite according to plan, it must be said that our FS men were brilliant - it’s not easy dancing in shorts that are two sizes too small for you. =D>

Perhaps they’ll be interested in doing it all again next year … :D On Saturday night, Richard and I went to Leeds to watch The Northern Ballet performing The Nutcracker - it was excellent. Men in tights. :D :-k Mmmm …. Now that gives me an idea. :idea: :D

I’m holding a very large piece of virtual mistletoe so that I can give you all a very large virtual kiss. Ready ...

A Very Happy Christmas to you all and Best Wishes for The New Year. :)
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hello Mb. You look tired …

Jill, I’m very weary but also extremely delighted and proud of all my lovely Crazy Bears, what a determined and wonderful group of … Mmmmm … :-k What’s the word I’m looking for :?: Of course. Crazeeees :D =D> ^O^

Jill, I must mention my other Free Spirits - it doesn’t matter if they row fast or slow, have bad days sometimes and HD or have good days and triumphs. I love them all. Always. :D

Jill, this next bit is rather difficult. You do realise that I’m a figment of your imagination :?:

Are you Mb :?: Okay. :roll: If you say so but then again, you do realise that I’m a figment of yours :?:

:-$ :-$ :-$ I won't tell if you don't. :wink:

Mb, let’s go and have a cup of tea and a mince pie and then catch up with John’s blog - I’ve not had chance to read it for several days.

Sounds like a good idea - last time I looked - John had been erging and doing battle with a tuna at the same time :!: Didn’t think he rowed OTW. :?

Battle with a tuna. :? Mb what are you talking about :?: Hang on. Were you wearing your sun glasses :?:

:oops:

Thought so. :roll: And while we’ re on the subject, when I told you previously that the CBC ladies would think you’d look cool in your shades, I wasn’t suggesting that’s all you should be wearing … Put some clothes on dear. :shock: :oops:

Jill, now I know why the ladies speeded up every time I stood next to them. :lol: :wink:

Mb, shall we change the subject :?: What are you having for Christmas :?:

I think Santa is bringing me the latest model of The Stealth Thunderbolt 8) - never had to use one before but always handy to have if I think an erger is slacking. :lol: :wink:

Oh dear … 8-[ :fsbgrin: :fswink:
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill wrote:Mb, let’s go and have a cup of tea and a mince pie and then catch up with John’s blog - I’ve not had chance to read it for several days.

Sounds like a good idea - last time I looked - John had been erging and doing battle with a tuna at the same time :!: Didn’t think he rowed OTW. :?

Battle with a tuna. :? Mb what are you talking about :?: Hang on. Were you wearing your sun glasses :?:
I, too, enjoyed the battle with the tuna chapter. In fact, I quite look forward to the movie version.
Hugh Jackman, do you think, for the lead? :wink: 8) :D :fsbgrin:

“Erg," he said, "I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.”

-with apologies to Ernest
-and best wishes to our hero John

#-o :-$
Attachments
epic-adventures-on-the-erg.jpg
epic-adventures-on-the-erg.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:I, too, enjoyed the battle with the tuna chapter. In fact, I quite look forward to the movie version.
Hugh Jackman, do you think, for the lead?

“Erg," he said, "I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.”

-with apologies to Ernest
-and best wishes to our hero John
This is inspired. :D =D>

Definitely Hugh Jackman for the lead - judging by the pictures of Wolverine, I’d say he’d be very handy filleting fish. 8) :D :wink:

A possible sequel and another tale of one man’s epic battle against a sea creature and so loved by ergers, would be ‘ Roby Dick ‘. :roll: :lol: :wink:

“ There is a wisdom that is ‘ row ‘ but there is a ‘ row ‘ that is madness.”

Mb says that years ago, he saw a version of ‘ The Old Man and The Sea ‘, starring Anthony ‘ Fin ‘ . I think he’s been reading far too many Christmas cracker mottos … :roll: :lol:

John, we’d like to join Barbara in sending you best wishes and good luck with all your 2016 erging endeavours. :fsbgrin:

Jill and Mb :)
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Jill, I know I'm nipping at your heels, but I want you to know that your name is not on any post-it note. :lol:

I managed to top 3Mm for the 2015 calendar year, so I figured that if I just repeat my meters from last Jan-Apr then I'll reach 3Mm for the season. Then I looked at what I did last Jan-Apr: 515k,135k,377k,258k. Hum, that sounds like a lot of work, how will I keep my motivation?

Then I noticed that you're on pace for 500k this month. Great! I'll row along side of you, if you don't mind. Unless you're just warming up, and really plan to do 600k or more. In which case, Bon Voyage! :fsgrin:

Also, I might do a little more than 15k during the week, so I can goof off on the weekends... plus it's snowing a lot in Northern NM, and rowing is a good way to stay warm. :wink:

Peggy
Jill

Post by Jill »

K_Cat wrote:Jill, I know I'm nipping at your heels, but I want you to know that your name is not on any post-it note.
That is a great relief Peggy, although if your aim is anything like Mb’s, who has been trying his hand at a spot of target practice with the Stealth Thunderbolt, then I have nothing to worry about. :lol: :wink: So far, everything except the bullseye, seems to have been hit; he’s a menace. :roll: I suspect it’s a case of one type of spirit, overindulging in another type of spirit ( keep telling him that Burns Night isn’t until the 25th ) and might be something to do with his Scottish ancestry … :fsbgrin: :fswink:
K_Cat wrote: Then I noticed that you're on pace for 500k this month. Great! I'll row along side of you, if you don't mind. Unless you're just warming up, and really plan to do 600k or more. In which case, Bon Voyage!

Peggy, you have more faith in my abilities than I do - 400k is probably going to be my limit - anything over that would be a bonus … and a surprise! It would be a pleasure and an honour to have you row along side of me or even overtake me. :D

I should be on target this month for my next million, ( must be several people approaching theirs ) otherwise, I don’t really have a game plan but 15k each time is a cert ( says Mistress Confidence :roll: [-o< ) with a day off here and there - tomorrow being one of them.

No snow here at the moment but with plenty of rain, soggy would be a good description - the cities of Leeds and York which are both about an hour’s drive away have been flooded in parts. Really horrible for the people affected. Our local river, the Don, flows through the Don Valley, a short walk away from the village where we live; the village is well above the valley so we are not at risk.

It has been interesting reading about the Scottish connections on the Rio thread - Richard has taken to calling you Peggy McHubbard :fsbgrin: :fswink: - his paternal great grandmother was a McKay. The Scots have a reputation for being rather fearsome - I’d better start behaving myself - less cheek I think. After all, Hadrian built his wall for a good reason. :lol: :wink:

K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

McHubbard! :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you're safe from the flooding! Scary stuff!

Have fun on your rest day! :fsbgrin: I'm going to encourage my husband to go skiing, so I can rack up some more meters... er, read more of my book. 8)

Peggy
Jill

Post by Jill »

K_Cat wrote: I'm going to encourage my husband to go skiing, so I can rack up some more meters... er, read more of my book.
Richard is out today, so I have the erg all to myself - hoping to rack up 20k. [-o< :lol:

My family roll their eyes when I say this … “ I have a suggestion … “ Are we planning to reach 2 million season’s metres together :?: Not at the exact same time of course but on the same day. Or are you plotting to leave me in your wake :?: 8) :lol:

I’m reading ‘ The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker ‘ - it was a Christmas present. :D For a long time, every year, Richard would buy me ‘ The New Yorker Cats ‘ calendar - doesn’t appear to be available anymore. :( My favourite cartoon, ( still have it ) is of a pirate captain, ( with the crew all sniggering in the background ) saying to the ship’s cat, who was busy sharpening his claws on the pirate’s wooden leg, “ Not in front of the crew! “ :lol: Probably have to be a ' cat person ' to really appreciate it. :)

Our much loved and much missed cat, Ginger Baker, thought he was a dog sometimes, so we had the best of both worlds. :D

Jill
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Sounds good! I can row extra on Wednesday, as DH meets with his wine group (I don't drink). So I'm thinking 16-18k today, something similar tomorrow, and then go roaring past 2 million on Wednesday with maybe a piece of cake to celebrate :lol:

Does that work for you? We can clink virtual cups of tea across the ocean (blueberry with a hint of orange for me). :lol:

Peggy
Jill

Post by Jill »

That works for me Peggy - I'll clink a virtual glass of milk. :lol:

We are 7 hours in front of you - how long should I wait before uploading my metres? It would be fun if we could do this at more or less the same time but I think that would all get a bit confusing and I'm easily confused. :lol:

K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Oh my, don't wait to upload your meters. Same day is good enough. I'll upload enough meters to get to 2M on Wednesday at noon Mountain time (7pm your time) so we can clink virtual glasses while we're both still awake. :wink: :lol:

Peggy
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Cross Atlantic coordination! :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

I'm going to clink to you both as well. At that hour, it's water for me, but I'll find a fancy glass!

Congrats in advance.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

K_Cat wrote:Oh my, don't wait to upload your meters. Same day is good enough. I'll upload enough meters to get to 2M on Wednesday at noon Mountain time (7pm your time) so we can clink virtual glasses while we're both still awake.
I did suggest something along these lines in a post to you yesterday evening, which I then deleted, when I realised that it could mean ( Richard laughed here - said it confirmed my rather shaky grasp of maths :lol: ) me sitting up into the small hours of Thursday morning … #-o :lol:

7pm is far more civilised, so let’s do it and upload our metres together - Paul will be very impressed :shock: :D - 2 x 2,000,000m on the Metreboard at the same time. :fsbgrin: :fswink:

Thank you Barbara. :D Sounds as if you’re saving your whiskey stash for when we are all aboard the ‘ Sloop John S ‘ - cue The Beach Boys. :lol: :wink:

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Ladies, I shall be waiting with bated breath to see which of you makes it first to the 2 million mark. In the interests of cross-Atlantic detente, I am happy to hold off announcing the result until you have both crossed the line. Further instructions awaited.... :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jill

Post by Jill »

Paul Victory wrote:Ladies, I shall be waiting with bated breath to see which of you makes it first to the 2 million mark. In the interests of cross-Atlantic detente, I am happy to hold off announcing the result until you have both crossed the line. Further instructions awaited....
" I have a suggestion ... " :roll: :lol:

Plan A:

As Peggy is now an official Crazy Bear, then she has precedence and should update her metres first. :D I'll take my iPad into the garage at about 6.50pm our time and as soon as I see Peggy's 2,000,000m appear on the Metreboard, I'll upload mine. :D

Plan B:

Mmmmm ... :-k There isn't a Plan B. :lol: :wink:
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Well, I reached 2Mm at 11:56am, so I'm guessing you actually got there first, Jill. I'm just not a morning person. :lol: (Which is why I made sure I had a round number yesterday: no simple arithmetic before noon!)

Happy Two Million Meters! Woo-hoo! :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

Peggy
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

And *clink* go the teacups! :lol: