Why?

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Why?

Post by jainser »

I thought this might be a good idea to have a thread where one can post a question that hopefully another Free Spirit will know the answer to. I shall start the ball rolling with this little puzzler!

When I have my Barcardi & Coke with a slice of lemon and a slice of lime (crazy I know), why does the lemon float but the lime sink :?:
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Why?

Post by JanetS »

jainser wrote:When I have my Barcardi & Coke with a slice of lemon and a slice of lime (crazy I know), why does the lemon float but the lime sink :?:
The pulp in both must be of very similar density to water as it is mostly water, so the difference probably lies in the skin which is denser. Limes tend to be smaller than lemons sop there with be a greater % of the lime comprising skin than in the lemon so the overall density of the lime is greater than the lemon & the lime sinks & the lemon floats (just - it's usually mostly below the surface)

PS all of the above is a guess...... spot the BSing teacher :wink:

For homework you should peel the lime & see if it floats when it has less skin. :D
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

I smell a series of experiments
jainser

Post by jainser »

Not until I start drinking again. Which should be around the end of the month as it's my birthday towards then.
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Look forward to seeing the answer to the lime/lemon question.

Here's another ...

Why, when the rollers on the bottom of the seat are white, are there black marks left on the rail after a work out?

Wolfie
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
jainser

Post by jainser »

My rower does same!!!
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

I have heard it's some weird mix of sweat and dust......yuck!
jainser

Post by jainser »

Also varies as well to what clothes I'm wearing (if any :shock: )
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

jainser wrote:...what clothes I'm wearing (if any :shock: )
Ewww.... *desperately tries to block out the images of acres of green flesh springing unbidden to mind*. :roll:
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
jainser

Post by jainser »

you cheeky buggar, acres of strapping, ripling, highly tuned green muscle (just cleverly hidden by several inches on chub) :D
PSims
True Free Spirit

Why

Post by PSims »

When it's freezing cold in the gym do I still sweat but feel like an ice block? :oops:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Re: Why

Post by Tom Barrick »

PSims wrote:When it's freezing cold in the gym do I still sweat but feel like an ice block? :oops:
Because you have contracted Malaria? :wink: Seriously, I love to row in the extreme cold because I can do a 20K and leave a very small puddle on the mat, if any. Hate toweling off rivers of the stuff, like in July. As far as sweating in the cold, you'll notice that the sweat doesn't exactly freeze to the body unless you're at rest. If it's below zero, in C, you'll love that feeling of a cool winter's night breezing up and under your armpits. If it's below zero, in F, you will be in poor shape just getting started. :)

Sorry, probably didn't answer your question at all, but I had a good time. :wink:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Iguess it's the evaporation, however don't ask me to explain cos I'd get it wrong :?
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

Lemon vs Lime
I am guessing that lime is more dense than Barcardi & Coke and lemon is less dense than Barcardi & Coke. But, does the lime rise to the top after a while?
Does a whole lime sink in Barcardi & Coke and a lemon float? I think we should be told. I wait with interest. Please post photos. I would do this but we have no bacardi, lime or coke in the house. I could do beer and lemon?

Roller dust
My random thought on why this happens has always been this. Could be completely wrong. Here goes:
There will be dust (mostly skin) on the slide and there is nothing you can do to stop this. The rollers will also be slowly wearing away on the slide and the slide on the rollers. Whilst this is VERY VERY slow it will be happening and leaving a residue that will be grey. I emphasise this will be incredibly slow. All this leaves a TINY (grey) deposit on the slide that the sliding up and down will gather in patches.
I think that there is moisture involved somewhere, and the fact you are sweating (even water vapour is enough) means that the skin cells will soak up any residue in the air. I am pretty sure it is sweat making it all stick together because the grey residue comes off easily with water.
Now, you could test this theory by rowing in a hermetically sealed room whilst wearing a space suit. Not sure how practical that is though.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Thomas W-P

Re: Why

Post by Thomas W-P »

Professor W-P going for the hatrick of wrong answers here, but here goes (and remember I am a physics teacher not a Biology teacher)
PSims wrote:Why, when it's freezing cold in the gym do I still sweat but feel like an ice block?
You're core is warm which makes you sweat - the sweat is supposed to evaporate to cool you down of course. But your skin is still in contact with very cold air, so as the blood comes up to make you sweat and releases the liquid through your pores it finds that your skin is too cold for the sweat to evaporate. The sweat drips off and you feel cold because your skin is cold because of the cold room.
I know you are a "buckets" man from previous posts, I wonder if your body just has an excessive sweat response. Once sweat starts to drip it is not carrying out its purpose properly. I find that when I exercise in the cold I sweat less and feel warm - until I stop! My problem is my lungs' sensitivity to the cold.
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Now this is the kind of forum conversation that has made FS great. Where else can you get this kind of information from such high caliber contributors?

As for the lime/lemon thing.....Jain has been conducting field experiments for months now......he has pleanty of Data....hasn't he figured this out yet? Scientific method my friend!
BorisZ
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

About the Rollers... all ergs I have seen here have GREY rollers, so it appears that the residue comes from them!
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

can't the rollers be "greying" from the residue? I still say its a mud of sweat, respiration and dust...

You're a scietist Boris....get out the microscope!

The rail gets wet/damp.......attracts the dust/skin.....the rollers smash and smush the "stuff" and makes the flakes we see.....

As for the guys that row in the garage.....in the icy cold.....wait until the icy sweat starts to make a coating on the walls ans stuff in your garage......now that's cool!
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

You know I am ashamed to say I have no idea what colour my rollers are.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Why can men spit out excess saliva whilst exercising - runnign/rowing - anything really, but women can't?

(Or is that women won't?)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

webberg wrote:Why can men spit out excess saliva whilst exercising - runnign/rowing - anything really, but women can't?

It's not polite for a woman to spit. However, if she does whilst on a row, I think it's pretty hot. :wink:
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

jainser

Post by jainser »

Why do we say 'As busy as hell' and not 'As busy as heaven' - surely more people go to heaven?
jainser

Post by jainser »

Tom Barrick wrote:
webberg wrote:Why can men spit out excess saliva whilst exercising - runnign/rowing - anything really, but women can't?

It's not polite for a woman to spit. However, if she does whilst on a row, I think it's pretty hot. :wink:
Not sure if Reet yacked up a large greenie and spat it across the garage if that would work for me, but each to there own. :wink:
jainser

Post by jainser »

Anyway forget spitting. chicks with guns now that works :D

Does any one remember the billboard advert for the film 'Resident Evil' two women, one of which had a bright red mini dress on with thigh high black boots and a big arsed gun. Yeah baby!!!!!

And of course my favourite, the lovely Kate Beckinsale in 'Underworld' running around in a tight PVC outfit with some big arsed guns shooting everything...........hmmmm
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Jain: Please do a blog......so I can have some other way to spend 20 minutes a day.