Why?

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Peter_S
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Why?

Post by Peter_S »

plummy wrote:can't grown ups control their brats of children on airplanes - screaming, whining little objects, there should be a soundproofed area to put them in.
Plummy, it could have been worse....
row.jpg
row.jpg (245.69 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

:lol: - brings back memories - aarrghh! - thanks Peter
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Re: meter/metre board I left it as meter because it was devised by an American. But as a European I rationalise it in this case as meter as measure. Like thermometer.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Why do kids do disgusting things?
My son Joe(12) just blew his nose on a tissue after a sneezing fit and when i returned to the room he was chewing the tissue. :~c :~c :-s
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Increase his meat ration! :lol:

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

When one buys a nice new top for training in the sale, and it's just what you want, at a really good price,in the right colour,in your size. Then when you get it home and proudly show the wife she says you prat did you know this is a womans because it got a built in bra in it. :oops: such is life.
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

:lol: Are you going to wear that one at Madchester Colin?
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

hewitt

Post by hewitt »

colin bradley wrote:When one buys a nice new top for training in the sale, and it's just what you want, at a really good price,in the right colour,in your size. Then when you get it home and proudly show the wife she says you prat did you know this is a womans because it got a built in bra in it. :oops: such is life.
The bit that worries me Colin is the bit were you say,"In your size". :o :o You not notice that you needed a cup size. :lol: :lol:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

And how many women are 6'4"? What shop was this?
54 years old probably around 77kg.
teddythebeer
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by teddythebeer »

kirbyt wrote:And how many women are 6'4"?
Maybe that's why it was on sale!
Where's my sixpack?

stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Hey guys thanks for your interest in my little moment of inattention, the garment in question was an oakley hi tech vest just sized up as large which looked about right to me size wise, purchased from the http://www.TriUK.com shop in Yeovil a huge cycle store in Somerset. Needless to say it was returned the next day. :lol:
PS it did fit but the bra ----------- dont think so :oops:
plummy

Post by plummy »

.. does food preparation in cookery programmes need directions e.g. up, down, off?

reduce it "down"
roast it "off"
stir it "up"
boil it "off"
even eat it "up"

all the above would make complete sense without the additional words so why are they there
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

You know, I'm trying to imagine Bob Marley's Stir It Up without the redundant "Up" and it's just not working.

Stir it ... little darlin' ... stir it ... (nope, ruins the whole song)

I vote to keep it.

Sorry Plummy

:D
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

Is the song about food?
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

The song is about cooking. He's going to stoke the fire, she's going to stir the pot. Did you see something else there? :wink:

For my part, I need absolute clarity. I'd be likely to wreck my Pop-Tart based on #2 here. "lowest or highest setting"? They are opposites!

POP-TARTS® TOASTING INSTRUCTIONS 1. Remove pastry from pouch. 2. Warm pastry in toasting appliance at lowest or lightest heat setting for one heating cycle only. 3. Cool briefly before carefully removing pastry from toasting appliance.

Off to breakfast...
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
teddythebeer

Post by teddythebeer »

CamiCrew wrote:For my part, I need absolute clarity. I'd be likely to wreck my Pop-Tart based on #2 here. "lowest or highest setting"? They are opposites!

POP-TARTS® TOASTING INSTRUCTIONS 1. Remove pastry from pouch. 2. Warm pastry in toasting appliance at lowest or lightest heat setting for one heating cycle only. 3. Cool briefly before carefully removing pastry from toasting appliance.
:fsbgrin:
Where's my sixpack?

CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

:lol: No wonder I burn the darn things.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Daffy »

Why...do I not understand any technical manuals? :roll:

I can read perfectly well, I'm not totally daft (most of the time), and I want to learn how to use the kit. So WHY does it NOT compute? I refer in particular to the "quick" guide for the Suunto t3d. Beyond me. Completely beyond me. :oops: Surely it is not rocket science? #-o And another thing... "quick" is definitely a misnomer. (At least I should be able to return it under the Trade Descriptions Act. :roll:)
billwright

Post by billwright »

You're not alone Jane. My Suunto T3D has lain unused since the first week I had it as I can't fathom how it works. If Colin comes to Madchester, he could have a teach-in!

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Jane, I had the same problem with the t6d quick guide. Absolutely useless. I downloaded the full instructions from the suunto website and everything became clearer. They also have short videos showing you how to do various things with the monitor.
pb times
Mat

Post by Mat »

billwright wrote:My Suunto T3D has lain unused since the first week I had it
My T3 has had exactly the same fate. I did wade through the instructions and get it going, but unfortunately all it does is provide a summary of your workout (MaxHR, AveHR, EPOC, TE etc) which is okay, but not really much good for comparing workouts. Now I simply use the HR strap and PC pod, and monitor live to Firstbeat Athlete (Movescount also available) so that I have lots of pretty graphs to compare workouts :D Mind you, they're not as pretty as the graphs Stan, Colin et al can produce because FBA will only let me adjust my settings on the T3 which brings us right back to the beginning (and it's sat in the drawer so long that the battery has run out) ](*,)

When it comes to technical stuff, I'm having just as frustrating an afternoon - my L200 Pickup lost all power yesterday morning and the "stop and do not pass go" engine light came on as I left to take kids to school. The auto electrician visited today and told me that it could be the "turbo control solenoid" or the "ESU (he did say what it stood for but I couldn't remember that) switching / control module" :-k He thought it was the solenoid and that I needed to order one from the dealer (at least I think that's what he said - at the time I was driving a tractor full of schoolchildren across a field to feed a shire horse :? )

Why is it that when you ring a car parts department, they can't just say "no problem, we'll order one of those in" :?: Instead, I explained what was required (after being told that my registration plate wasn't recognised so must be wrong - it wasn't, but he forgot to apologise when he realised his mistake!) and was asked "do you mean the valve emission solenoid?" How should I know :!: Apparently that comes on a plate (I assume he means metal, and not served ready for eating) with another solenoid

So I've ordered it, and it'll be here Thursday and I've spent the last two hours searching the internet trying to find out whether I've ordered the right part :evil:

Oh yes, and now I've got to search the internet again to find out what part I need to fix the steering on my ride-on mower ](*,) ](*,)
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
cweed
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

colin bradley wrote:When one buys a nice new top for training in the sale, and it's just what you want, at a really good price,in the right colour,in your size. Then when you get it home and proudly show the wife she says you prat did you know this is a womans because it got a built in bra in it. :oops: such is life.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tell the truth Colin. You just wanted to see if it would give your manboobs a lift.
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Thanks for the advice Stan - I shall try to get to this at the weekend. I'm so glad it's not just me that has struggled, but the fact that it is do-able is encouraging. A teach in at Madchester would be a good idea! Plummy - put it into the agenda!

Good luck with the mechanicking Mat!
teddythebeer

Post by teddythebeer »

... my first trip to US should be spoiled by the fact that it's on a week of my son's birthday? :evil:
Where's my sixpack?

goul

Why?

Post by goul »

teddythebeer wrote:... my first trip to US should be spoiled by the fact that it's on a week of my son's birthday? :evil:
My advice - bring him something nice back. I've just come back from 4days in US missing my wife's birthday and was under such time pressure on way back I missed the trip to duty free for a gift......may get to row a lot more meters now I'm living in the garage next to the ERG ;)