May CTC

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

May CTC

Post by Iain »

After a democratic process that went to sudden death, the Norwegian Vikings ended up with the May CTC being "1814"
17th of May 1814 was the day Norway got its constitution.
Challenge:
Row 1 min, 8 min, 1 min, 4 min with 1 min rest between intervals.
Record your total distance.
No restrictions.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: May CTC

Post by JonT »

I'm assuming 'no restrictions' doesn't mean a rolling start is allowed for the first interval.

Looking forward to seeing some early attempts and what the pace relative to 2K is going to be. the 1 minute rests aren't really going to help other than a quick drink. Maybe 2k+5??
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

For those interested here some more info about the 17th May 1814. In contrast to many nations the Norwegian celebrate their national day with children parades instead of showing off their military.
On that day the kids can eat as many ice creams and sausages they like Image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitut ... prov=sfti1

PS as this CTC again does not fit my training plans and philosophy I will row through the rest periods and basically make it an easy 17min recovery row (nice detail that total time is 17min = 17may ;-) )
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Iain

Post by Iain »

I think a bit quicker than Jon says although will depend on how fast the person is as 8 min could be 1400 for some and 2400 for others. Annoyingly as 8 min not first interval (and a bit quick if I am going to finish!) won't be able to get in a 2k to start the season. One approach would be to go close to 2k (+2? for those close to 8 min 2k) and take it easier on 1 mins, using whatever is left for the 4 min to close.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Mat

Post by Mat »

After some inconsistent training in the last week or so, I figured I’d do the CTC, planning a bit of a placeholder before an all out attempt.
This turned out a bit closer to full-on than planned!!
IMG_9991.jpeg
IMG_9991.jpeg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Thoughts…

Pace the 1’ right and they don’t take too much out of you. You’ll never make much ground on these, so just pick up the stroke rate and have a brisk row

8’ is a long way if you go out too hard! I planned around 2k +5 which I reckon is about right for anyone around a 7’ 2k

The 4’ pace will really depend on what you’ve got left. About 2k + 2 worked for me, but this is where you can make up ground if you’ve gone easier up to this point and still have something in the tank.. I didn’t :lol: :lol:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
bierik
Warming up
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by bierik »

That's one of the best placeholder attempts I've seen for a CTC =D> =D> :D . I think that the paces look very coherent, well tuned to one another. I'll try something similar in a few days, although adding a couple of seconds to the pace for each interval, aiming for sub 1:50 overall.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Many thanks Mat. Surprised that 8 in is as slow as 5k pace I hope to have a first go at 2k+3, but as I am over a min slower on 2k, that probably accounts for the majority of it, although I suspect HR will be deep into the red by the end of it.
Tako

May CTC

Post by Tako »

Well, living in Norway Image I cannot let this CTC pass with an easy slow effort, so did a controlled effort after today’s 3x11min session. Pretty happy with the result, though my coach probably won’t like it too much…..Image
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well that was painful. After two weeks away with “man flu” this was never going to be pretty. I just resorted to my “always finish the session” approach to struggle through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
obirobsan
Rower and forum addict...

Post by obirobsan »

Arm is finally starting to feel a little less twingy after taking off basically all of last month and the first quarter of this one, probably will try a placeholder run on this at some point soon. Appreciate the others that have sort of paved the way to figuring out the right pacing magic here.
jbh
Free Spirit

Post by jbh »

I’m taking ‘ Record your total distance.’ literally - wondering where it says we shouldn’t do that... :?
61, 1.89m, 95Kg(ish)
Tako

Post by Tako »

These CTC’s with time intervals always only consider the meters rowed in the active period and not those in the rest periods. If you look at my screen shot above you will see that the C2 logbook nicely displays it for the total 14min for this month.
jbh
Free Spirit

Post by jbh »

Tako wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:29 pm These CTC’s with time intervals always only consider the meters rowed in the active period and not those in the rest periods. If you look at my screen shot above you will see that the C2 logbook nicely displays it for the total 14min for this month.
Normally I would agree as the challenge normally specifically states to log the total split time or the slowest/fastest split etc but on this occasion, it states total distance with no distinction.
I did notice the rest of the team have entered total split distance. My question is, where does it specifically state that for this challenge?
61, 1.89m, 95Kg(ish)
Tako

May CTC

Post by Tako »

It makes no sense to include the rest periods as it otherwise would have been a simple 17min.
No idea why they haven’t stated it explicitly this time, maybe they thought like most of us “business as usual”.
Mat

Post by Mat »

jbh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:18 pm
Tako wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:29 pm These CTC’s with time intervals always only consider the meters rowed in the active period and not those in the rest periods. If you look at my screen shot above you will see that the C2 logbook nicely displays it for the total 14min for this month.
Normally I would agree as the challenge normally specifically states to log the total split time or the slowest/fastest split etc but on this occasion, it states total distance with no distinction.
I did notice the rest of the team have entered total split distance. My question is, where does it specifically state that for this challenge?
That really does sound like a deliberately pedantic interpretation of the instructions for this challenge. Whilst not explicitly stated, pretty well everybody who participates knows the intended definition of this challenge. The "Pace" and "Power" columns are set to calculate their values based only on the defined active periods.

It is also pretty obvious that if you raised the question on the C2 forum, the answer would be that the distance is for the active periods only, and I note that you have not chosen to ask the question.

In my opinion, but choosing to apply the "letter of the law" and ignoring "the spirit of the law", you are simply attempting to provoke an arguement for the sake of it based on a perceived loophole that you have identified
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
jbh
Free Spirit

Post by jbh »

Mat wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:11 am
jbh wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:18 pm
That really does sound like a deliberately pedantic interpretation of the instructions for this challenge. Whilst not explicitly stated, pretty well everybody who participates knows the intended definition of this challenge. The "Pace" and "Power" columns are set to calculate their values based only on the defined active periods.

It is also pretty obvious that if you raised the question on the C2 forum, the answer would be that the distance is for the active periods only, and I note that you have not chosen to ask the question.

In my opinion, but choosing to apply the "letter of the law" and ignoring "the spirit of the law", you are simply attempting to provoke an arguement for the sake of it based on a perceived loophole that you have identified
Not my intention to provoke an argument- but I understand why you may hold that opinion. I tend to see things as black or white and struggle with grey areas. As I mentioned, because of the wording, it appears all time counts, even though the system is table is calculating based on split times only.
I had considered raising the question on the C2 forum. I thought I would gauge opinion here first.
61, 1.89m, 95Kg(ish)
jbh
Free Spirit

Post by jbh »

In keeping with the spirit of the contest, I’ve amended my time to exclude rest metres. I’ll get on to the C2forum later and see if we can get the wording changed for this month’s contest 👍🏻
61, 1.89m, 95Kg(ish)
Mat

Post by Mat »

jbh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 pm
Not my intention to provoke an argument- but I understand why you may hold that opinion. I tend to see things as black or white and struggle with grey areas. As I mentioned, because of the wording, it appears all time counts, even though the system is table is calculating based on split times only.
I had considered raising the question on the C2 forum. I thought I would gauge opinion here first.
Thanks Jon, and I do apologise for what I now realise was a rather abrupt reply above.
I'd seen your entry and came on here to congratulate you for a phenomenal row, and then read the posts above before replying in haste!
Still a strong row =D>
JonT

Post by JonT »

Mat wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:48 pm
jbh wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:44 pm
Thanks Jon, and I do apologise for what I now realise was a rather abrupt reply above.
I'd seen your entry and came on here to congratulate you for a phenomenal row, and then read the posts above before replying in haste!
Still a strong row =D>
What is going on here is a case of previous debates, discussions and 'rules' becoming taken for granted by the majority of people that have been doing the CTC for a long time. I'm sure in the past events have always been specific about various factors to make sure things are clear. But after endless repetition these have faded away and become assumed. For example, the event says "no restrictions" but most people will assume that the first interval is from a standing start.....because they always are, and descriptions always used to say so. Similarly, descriptions also used to make it clear that only meters from 'active' intervals should be counted, but that too has faded away. So, people assume that the unwritten is written, and you have highlighted one of those cases.
JonT

Post by JonT »

I've updated our points calculator (this is still a manual process). We have a very low turnout so far this month with just 13 rowers and only one boat afloat.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

I've posted a score and am sat in a boat.
Currently still at the landing stage though, waiting for a fair maiden to help set us off xx
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
spidermac
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by spidermac »

Had a go at this today - found it pretty tuff alternating short & long intervals a bit of a different mind set alternating grind with blasting it!!. Happy to finnish.
wup - 3k
Time dist spm HR split
01:00.0 269 32 155 01:51.5
08:00.0 2038 30 163 01:57.7
01:00.0 268 30 161 01:51.9
04:00.0 1016 29 163 01:58.0
14:00.0 3591 29 161 01:56.9
CD - 2k
Just squeezed under 1.57. Won`t be rushing to repeat this one! :lol:
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"
Iain

Post by Iain »

Well done to all those that have completed this. Nice After 3 pathetic failures on Wednesday, took yesterday off and attacked today. Wanted to average less than 2:00/500m keeping 8 min at 2:02 pace throughout:

Time Distnc Rate Pace Hrmax % HRmin %
01:00.0 262 31 01:54.5 161 87.5% 101 54.9% - On target
08:00 1,987 26 02:00.8 176 95.7% 117 63.6% - too many 2:03s, H/D Demons started attacking 2:30 in, happy to match 2k SB pace
01:00.0 263 33 01:54.1 176 95.7% 143 77.7% - hard start, but upped rating for target
04:00 1,022 30 01:57.4 181 98.4% 146 79.3% - harder than expected, slipped to 2:01s before 2k finish.
14:00 3535 28.0 1:58.8 181 98.4%

Won't be doing that again this month! Almost what I suspect is my 2k pace at the moment as average. Thanks Brit for floating our second boat, 2 more obliging ladies needed to float the otherwise full boats.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Iain wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:47 pm Thanks Brit for floating our second boat, 2 more obliging ladies needed to float the otherwise full boats.
Iain, if I can work myself up into a state of recklessness, then I will do my best to give this month's challenge a ' whirl ', although it will not be until Tuesday now, unless of course some of our brilliant and much faster ladies beat me to it. :)

Me: " Richard, do you think that I could row an 8 minute sprint? "
Richard: " Nope. " :lol:
Me: Do you think that I could row a 4 Minute sprint? "
Richard: '' Nope. " :lol:

I've just thought up an oxymoron: a slow sprint. :lol:

I see that The Norwegian Vikings have set up this challenge - not satisfied with terrorising us Brits. in the past ... they're still at it. :lol: :wink:
spidermac
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by spidermac »

Great result Iain after the HD`s & you managed a faster split on the 4mins!! =D> =D> Do I need to start looking in the rear view mirror? :lol: :lol:
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"