The Last Marathon - a story to tell

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

The Last Marathon - a story to tell

Post by Claudius »

This is just a post about the last Marathon. Fell free to tell your Marathon storys here.
It was on St. Nicholas Day when I tackled the last marathon. It was in a abandoned place. There, where you can come to rest, write stories, I also set up a RowErg with a few stereo speakers. There was electricity. The heating wasn't working. 2°Celsius of heat in the room and let me tell you, that can be cold. The first hour breezed by and I was very happy. Then I got the intuition to row without a shirt. Despite the effort, my legs were a mixture of working warmth and freezing pain in the freezing cold. The breath of each breath floated through the noisy room, weaving gray haze with a single-minded focus on rowing TheThing home. Have I reached home. Let this be the end of our journey. I believe so. Quite unlike the marathon just over 2 years ago, the PB, the last 11 kilometers were marked by the agony of a shipwrecked Odyssey who may not recognize his own country when he arrives, rowing home in the freezing cold. Mission accomplished. Will he be welcomed home? This is OneThing the Odyssey is about. Homecoming and Hospitality in the outer world. Spiritual awakening in the inner world. Who would welcome a shipwrecked beggar, at the end of his journey, good for nothing? Who ? No man? Now that the mission is over. Lvl60/Lvl30 before the restructuring update - being complete, being One for a tiny moment? Did I lost everything for being free to do anyting? A free spirit! Who will welcome me home. Am I a king or a shipwrecked beggar? None of these, perhaps- because it is just a story. I love stories in which the protagonists are the anti-heroes who stand outside the norm and break existing rules. For me the Odyssey by Homer is the first Transgressive Fiction Story in western culture. Will I ever row a Marathon again? Will I ever play the game again? Was I ever addicted to playing our sport, being an endurance junkie gamer? Am I on withdrawal? It is just a story. So many Questions. I know that I know nothing. Welcome me Home!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-06 224551.png
Screenshot 2023-12-06 224551.png (193.27 KiB) Viewed 787 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
obirobsan
Rower and forum addict...

Re: The Last Marathon - a story to tell

Post by obirobsan »

That's a crazy freakin' pace for just shy of 3 hours. My hat's off to you. Amazing.
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

1:57 ==> 1:58 ==> 2:26 ==> 2:14 ==> 2:24 ... that looks really painful. Well done!
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Claudius, despite the hickup towards the end that's still a spectacularly fast marathon =D> And rowed at an incredibly low heart rate :shock:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Damn! Helluva row, sir!
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Thank you very much for your comments!
I have resumed the usual game. I never really had any "withdrawal symptoms", it's just that a big motivating factor was missing, I consciously thought about numerous political decisions - and in particular about drug use, addiction and its demarcation from attachment. The states merge into one another. Whereby an attachment to a motivating factor can be given a much more positive evaluation in contrast to addiction.
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

It's been a while since I've written anything. I had a "traumatic" marathon experience on St. Nicholas Day. Joking aside. That was also a fascinating experience. Yesterday was leap year day. On St. Nicholas Eve I said to myself: Never again marathon, like never again alcohol. We're all experts when it comes to C2 abuse, aren't we? So yesterday was also marathon day. Nice idea, I think, to row a marathon on February 29.
Specs:
RealWorld: C2Rower D on Slides PM5 DF122, 1 fan, wide open window 5° Celsius, 2.5 liters to drink, 2 EnergyGels
VirtualWorld: CanyonTTBike with LightwightMeilenstein wheels, MegaBrezen route, intensity according to the gradient of the route, pr time for the route- same route as my pb Marathon. Different approach - bike and strategy

I am very satisfied. Even if it's only my 2nd best result, I spent a lot more time on the machine 2-3 years ago.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-01 103810.png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 103810.png (176.23 KiB) Viewed 218 times
(J.R.R.T.)
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

^O^ =D> ^O^ Wow. Must be gutted to fall seconds short of your PB. Insane ratings and bursts (presumably the "hills"). Huge improvement in a year. I am contemplating an ultra of some sort in a year's time, nice to see what is possible although I have far more room for improvement as currently the pace I would need to go on an HM might not generate enough power to keep the machine ticking over!

Great to hear from you again.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

^O^ =D> ^O^ Wow. Must be gutted to fall seconds short of your PB. Insane ratings and bursts (presumably the "hills"). Huge improvement in a year. I am contemplating an ultra of some sort in a year's time, nice to see what is possible although I have far more room for improvement as currently the pace I would need to go on an HM might not generate enough power to keep the machine ticking over!

Great to hear from you again.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Brilliant Claudius.
Can't imagine why you'd want to add "hills" to any sort of distance row though :-) :-D
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k