May CTC: May the Phors be with You

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

May CTC: May the Phors be with You

Post by Iain »

Post by EeBeeGeeBee » April 25th, 2023, 11:10 am

Red Line Rowers (RLR) May CTC notification:

May The PHORS Be With You

4 x 1k/2'r - first rep from a standing start. Subsequent reps as you like. Record the time for the 4000m.

PHORS stands for Post-Heart Op Rehab Special. I underwent open heart surgery in February to fit a replacement heart valve. Obviously I haven't been able to row since then apart from a couple of paddles for the April CTC in the past couple of days. But my heart surgeon says that I'm now recovered sufficiently so that I can start again properly on 1st May, and I have chosen to use 4x1k/2'r as the key session in my bid to return to my pre-op form (and hopefully significantly exceed it now that I've got a heart valve that actually, you know, works).

I asked my fellow RLR teammates if we could put it forward as RLR's choice for the May CTC to give me some added encouragement and support on my long road back. And I was met with a resounding and unanimous "YES".

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I'm going to :D

Not one I am looking forward to in Marathon Month, just pushes me to get on and finish the April Challenge! Have fun!
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: May CTC: May the Phors be with You

Post by Liefcat »

That sounds rather cardio demanding... :shock:

He might regret his choise... :roll: :wink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Mat
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

I’m in the middle of a 30x30’ RowAlong training plan and after struggling yesterday felt like I’d do something different this morning.

Didn’t want to blow up so started steady and felt I got the pace pretty well spot on. I’m sure there’s more in the tank, but let’s see how I feel later in the month!

For pacing notes - my current 2k is probably around 1:41
IMG_2023-5-5-073825.jpeg
IMG_2023-5-5-073825.jpeg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2338 times
Last edited by Mat on Fri May 05, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Nice one Mat
Following Mats lead, started at current 2k split and decided on a neg. split if possible. Tough session as always with a bit more to come next time. All off standing starts
IMG_1012.jpeg
IMG_1012.jpeg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Another hand up for something like 2k+3?
IMG_20230506_102736.jpg
IMG_20230506_102736.jpg (40.23 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Not a favourite.
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

That was horrid. My 2k+2 would be 1:55. That was a Gold target. Silver was 1:57 and Bronze was below 2:00. I have been really struggling recently so wasn’t expecting much. After the first interval it was obvious Gold was out of the question. I was surprised how weak I felt, but it shouldn’t be a surprise really. I just hung in for the rest using the “never quit a workout” mentality. I pushed really hard tor the last minute to check on Max HR. So at least I got something out of it!

I may stick with the RowAlong Row for Fitness plan and see how I deal with this session at the end of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain

Post by Iain »

ouche Jon, no way I would have finished with those HRs with positive splits and only 2 min rest. =D> ^O^ =D> T
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:14 pm ouche Jon, no way I would have finished with those HRs with positive splits and only 2 min rest. =D> ^O^ =D> T
I’m a stubborn bugger Iain. My “Never quit a session” mantra does work for me, but I am surprised it doesn’t lead to just limping home more often. Like all CTCs, this is as horrid as you choose to make it I suppose.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I have to agree with the horrid description of this. I had a go a couple of days ago and was further gutted when after finishing (having just glugged a glass of water) I weighed myself and was - 75.1kg!! So I still have to put this down as a very light HWT...

16:23.1 @ 27SPM consistent across all 4 reps. Not doing it again though!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

This really is a good workout. After my last go at this a few days ago I felt there was more to come so started off on the last average and negative split the predicted finishing time by just a single second. Tough session again with a small improvement. 10 years has certainly taken its toll. Erg on people.
IMG_1014.jpeg
IMG_1014.jpeg (23.2 KiB) Viewed 2201 times
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Shouldn’t have done it according to my recovery plan but couldn’t get it out of my head. So I had a controlled go at it but reached anyway 95% max HR showing that I have still work to do to get closer to possible fitness.

Sorry Fred, saw your entry when I entered mine. Pretty close!

\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

My first row this season. Goal was to row just about a 1:55 pace, which worked allright, but I felt I hadn't been on my C2 for weeks. The overall fitness is still okay, but maybe with a bit more rowing hours I could wite down a better time. But I don't knwo really whether I have the time to climb on it often enough.
Finished today in 15:15.9.
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...

Post by duffyoz »

One and done. Best described as not exceedingly pleasant ! I will not be going again !

Av pace 2.01.4 - Not sure what I can interpret from that for a 2k on 11 June. Total time of 16.11.6, managing to move boat 1 up a couple of places, so that's a positive.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Tako and Fred, great results given limited rowing. Lesley another strong performance. I admit that this always scares me and dropping from the 4' rest I usually use to 2' made it even more worrying, but in the event I think having 1:40 passive rather than 1' made up for the reduced active recovery. So I would estimate this can be done in 2k+1. Details on PP thread, but overall 15:59.1: 1:59.9 R27.7. Last was tough, but similarity to regular sessions made this easier than other recent CTCs for me, but won't be doing again! But FS3 up 6 places. Sorry Colin, you are waiting for a lady to float your boat (experience of my life :lol: )
spidermac

Post by spidermac »

So managed to squeeze this in before the deadline. :D
Managed to strain my ankle jumping off climbing yesterday so not sure how it would go.Doh!! :(
Wup - 2k
Time dist spm HR split
03:55.4 1000 30 155 01:57.7
03:54.0 1000 30 159 01:57.0
03:52.9 1000 30 164 01:56.4
03:51.3 1000 31 162 01:55.6
15:33.5 4000 30 160 01:56.6
CD - 2k
Well ankle held up, thought I`d burnt out the legs on R3 but managed to muster a sprint on last round. Highest HR I have seen since my pneumonia episode hopefully means I am getting rid of the last after effects!! :D Pacing was spot on couldn`t really do this any faster at the moment!! :D
PS - sorry JonT! :D
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"
Iain

Post by Iain »

Spider, great execution. Hope the ankle recovers quickly. A friend broke their leg badly and had to cancel a 4 week alps climbing break from a 4 foot jump down (and he was in his 20's!), so easily done!

If there is a generous lady out there we could have a fourth boat floated.

- Iain
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi team, sorry not around much.
My silly brain would not let my streak of attempts die though, so jumped on just now.
Quite pleased with the result of
14:49.7 / 1:51.2 / 27

"May the Phors be with you"
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
JonT

Post by JonT »

spidermac wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:04 am So managed to squeeze this in before the deadline. :D

Well thanks for that. Now I am going to have to decide whether to have another crack at this today. Looking at my HR data from the last one, I'm not sure how wise that would be!

Jon
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote:
spidermac wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:04 am So managed to squeeze this in before the deadline. :D

Well thanks for that. Now I am going to have to decide whether to have another crack at this today. Looking at my HR data from the last one, I'm not sure how wise that would be!

Jon
Well that hurt and was borderline life threatening. One day I will become less competitive…..maybe. Time for a quick blast before the end of the day Spider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spidermac

Post by spidermac »

Well done JonT! =D> =D> A bit of competition always helps - I am claiming I am still Ill & old!!!! :D
Don`t think trying this 2 days in a row is a receipe for success!!! :shock:
Born 1957 71kg;6`2"