Nonathlon 2023

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Nonathlon 2023

Post by JonT »

stumpy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:51 pm OK thanks for the quick reply guys, old school then, I was sort of hoping to do it wirelessly from somewhere deep in the menu. Now where's that USB stick that I haven't used in decades.
This also happened to me today Colin. Luckily it was a warm-down rather than the HM that I had just rowed. I hardly ever use ErgData because I use ErgZone most of the time. But I just wanted a "Just Row" session so switched to ErgData after the HM. As you say, the app was working and then the spinning circle started at the end of the session. But no entry in the log on the app or C2 site. It was warning me that the firmware was out of date, so I am updating that now in case that was part of the issue. the PM5 wouldn't let me insert the USB to start with because battery power was too low. Apparently 48% isn't enough to power a USB stick. Really??

I'd also forgotten how much I dislike the C2 Windows Utility Programme. Thank heavens things have moved on.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Interesting I did a firmware update last week on the PM5 my iPhone also updated just after the hour row probably linked but who knows.
J-Dog
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by J-Dog »

Could you add in JDog as a Free Spirit, please?

I'm just getting back into rowing after some years away, so please don't worry about my 11:55 2K time - I'm going super slowly to start with, after a minor heart op :-)

Thanks.

J-Dog

PS - many thanks for the free Nonathlon site, those who support it!
58 yrs 91 kg 5' 10" BMI 28.7
Lifetime metres: 901,463
JonT

Post by JonT »

I’ll add you to the Nonathlon analyser later today.

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

J-Dog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:36 am Could you add in JDog as a Free Spirit, please?

I'm just getting back into rowing after some years away, so please don't worry about my 11:55 2K time - I'm going super slowly to start with, after a minor heart op :-)

Thanks.

J-Dog

PS - many thanks for the free Nonathlon site, those who support it!
You are in -> http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/nonath ... athlon.php

Have you been in the Nonathlon before using a different user name? The tool is only picking up scores from this year at the moment.

Jon
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

Jon,
yes.

I was in the Nonathlon in 2017 (227th) as "J-Dog". I tried to register as that ID, but it didn't like the hyphen, so I guess that restriction came in since then?

Happy to have the accounts merged, if there's a way to do that, but don't worry if it's a pain :-)

I also registered (today) as "firegazer", but assumed that Safari would save my auto-generated password, and it didn't, so that's a zombie account you can delete. Sorry.

Thanks, Jon.

BR

J-Dog
JonT

Post by JonT »

J-Dog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:01 pm I was in the Nonathlon in 2017 (227th) as "J-Dog". I tried to register as that ID, but it didn't like the hyphen, so I guess that restriction came in since then?

Happy to have the accounts merged, if there's a way to do that, but don't worry if it's a pain :-)
There you go -> https://www.freespiritsrowing.com/nonat ... werId=JDog
J-Dog wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:01 pm I also registered (today) as "firegazer", but assumed that Safari would save my auto-generated password, and it didn't, so that's a zombie account you can delete. Sorry.
I don't control the Nonathlon site so I can't get rid of that account I'm afraid. I've dropped the owner of the tool a note to tell him he can delete it if he wants to tidy up.

Jon
J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

Muchas gracias.

J-Dog
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Hi J-Dog,

I just added you to the Free Spirits team filter on the nonathlon site (as "JDog").
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

J-Dog

Post by J-Dog »

Thanks, Peter.

J-Dog
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Finally entered my last remaining event score today with the CTC's 500M sprint (I don't think I'll ever do a Full Marathon). Moved me up to #54 with a total score of 7716. Obviously, this is subject to any improvements I might make in the next 4 months... :)
JonT

Post by JonT »

Draggon wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:40 pm Finally entered my last remaining event score today with the CTC's 500M sprint (I don't think I'll ever do a Full Marathon). Moved me up to #54 with a total score of 7716. Obviously, this is subject to any improvements I might make in the next 4 months... :)
Well done Ron. Looking at your scores this season, it's pretty clear which end of the sprint v slog-it-out end of the spectrum you prefer! :fsbgrin:

Draggon

Post by Draggon »

JonT wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:15 pmWell done Ron. Looking at your scores this season, it's pretty clear which end of the sprint v slog-it-out end of the spectrum you prefer! :fsbgrin:
Oh my! That IS very telling! :oops: Cool graph though!
JonT

Post by JonT »

Draggon wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:23 pm
JonT wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:15 pmWell done Ron. Looking at your scores this season, it's pretty clear which end of the sprint v slog-it-out end of the spectrum you prefer! :fsbgrin:
Oh my! That IS very telling! :oops: Cool graph though!
You can get at the graph at any time by using the Nonathlon Analyser and clicking on your user name. Have you done the Nonathlon before? I notice the tool doesn't think so. If you have done it using a different user name then let me know and I can add old names to your scores automatically.
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

JonT wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:49 pmYou can get at the graph at any time by using the Nonathlon Analyser and clicking on your user name. Have you done the Nonathlon before? I notice the tool doesn't think so. If you have done it using a different user name then let me know and I can add old names to your scores automatically.
Thanks for the analyzer reminder - there are a lot of resources around here! And yes, this is my first year doing the Nonathlon, so this is all new to me.
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Seasons best 5k today 806 points am I happy yep sure am.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Jon, Sorry to add to your duties, but please would you add me in to the Nonathlon and Metanonathlon for 2023.

Getting close to the Lightweight limit (at last). Any thoughts on the etiquette for a change over? probably only have 15 or so rows left this season and may not be <75kg for them all. If I manage to get a half-decent (for me) effort for a reasonable spread of distances, I will replace the times with those achieved as a lightweight and change my designation. But I am not sure what to do if I fail to get more than a few decent rows in (and suffering from a recurrent issue that means getting up to even 5k pace in less than 20S is very painful so currently 2k or less will be very compromised) Should I just leave myself as Heavyweight (thereby distorting Metanonathlon where the comparison was as a skinny), or leaving my heavy times in but against skinny comparisons on the basis that I am faster than when I did them?
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

I don’t have a strong view Iain. The simplest would be to leave yourself classified as heavyweight for this season (which I assume would disadvantage you for Nonathlon) and then switch classification at the end of the year.

I don’t think anyone is going to get precious about the Metanonathlon.

I will add you. What is your Nonathlon user name, and is the same name as you used last season?

Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iain

Post by Iain »

Thanks Jon, after eating badly yesterday I don't think that it will be an issue for another week or so anyway! I am and have always been Iain for the Nonathlon.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

I have added you in. It looks like you were "iain" last year which threw things out a bit, but things are fixed now.

https://www.freespiritsrowing.com/nonat ... werId=Iain
Iain

Post by Iain »

Many thanks Jon. I recorded my Nonathlon targets when first entering in (I think) February, today noticed scores were different and noted all my "targets" had improved. Has this happened to anyone else?

- Iain
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Lurker checking in - I saw Keith Derby commenting on this on the Facebook thread, and apparently the very latest WRs have been added to the statistics so the goalposts have been moved for most entrants.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Iain, I just added you to the Free Spirits team filter in the nonathlon.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Iain

Post by Iain »

Thanks Peter, although as I am competing as a Heavy a little embarassed at my scores! With no intention of doing a 500 or HM this month, I will keep these settings although now 6 results were achieved as a skinny. It is annoying for the goalposts to be moved this late. Not much of an issue for me as I am not competitive this year, but when I was close to my Nonathlon PB in 2021 I would not have been happy!

That said, while it would be better to do any changes annually at the changeover, I appreciate that the volunteers who run this have lives and we should all be grateful that they do what they do. As I am neither willing or able to do this I firmly believe I have no right in how they operate the site, so it is what it is.

Will enter for 2024 as a skinny and, if I keep off the pies and keep rowing hopefully normal service will resume. Apologies about the inflated Metanonathlon this will cause!

- Iain
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Ian Bee wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:04 pm Lurker checking in - I saw Keith Derby commenting on this on the Facebook thread, and apparently the very latest WRs have been added to the statistics so the goalposts have been moved for most entrants.
This lead to a non-green meta-nonathlon score for my SB 30 minutes. Had a go at this, which resulted in 7651 meters, a light-green meta-nonathlon result.
I hoped to end up with a 900 points average. That's not going to happen unfortunately. Maybe next season.