June CTC: 5k

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

June CTC: 5k

Post by Liefcat »

"Team Diamonds have chosen a straight forward 5k with no restrictions. Plain and simple."

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: June CTC: 5k

Post by Claudius »

Liefcat wrote:" Plain and simple."
I first read pain and simple...both could be right. I've neglected rowing a bit in favor of running...so that will show in slower result.ImageImageImage

Gesendet von meinem SM-G991B mit Tapatalk

“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Claudius wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:01 pm
Liefcat wrote:" Plain and simple."
I first read pain and simple
Ain´t that the truth... :lol:

obirobsan
Rower and forum addict...

Post by obirobsan »

I dropped my pain and simple in with you guys. This seemed like a good CTC to start on. I just couldn't do the last one. I really don't like the 100m sprint much at all.
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

obirobsan wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:31 am I dropped my pain and simple in with you guys. This seemed like a good CTC to start on. I just couldn't do the last one. I really don't like the 100m sprint much at all.
Nice one 8)

I posted my "starter for 10" this morning with 18:21.4 and I hope to give this another shot each week this month. Almost a decade ago, I knew that I'd hit "peak" rowing fitness when I could go sub 17' for the 5k. This month my challenge is to get as close to 18' as I can and then to keep on going for the sub 18' :twisted:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Mat wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:33 am
I posted my "starter for 10" this morning with 18:21.4 and I hope to give this another shot each week this month. Almost a decade ago, I knew that I'd hit "peak" rowing fitness when I could go sub 17' for the 5k. This month my challenge is to get as close to 18' as I can and then to keep on going for the sub 18' :twisted:
Nice plan, Mat :!: And your description from a decade ago certainly rings a bell... :oops: :lol: :wink:

Sofar I have done 20:08.6 and 19:58.4 - hoping to dip a little further under the 20 minute mark...

Mat

Post by Mat »

Thanks Erik - and good luck :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

I'm in, 19:36.6 / 23
Probably all I have for now, not in a great place training wise. Will buck my ideas up after "summer".
Maybe another one for you to chase down Eric? Well done on last month :-)

Welcome Rob, decent start.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Wolfmiester wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:22 am I'm in, 19:36.6 / 23
Probably all I have for now, not in a great place training wise. Will buck my ideas up after "summer".
Maybe another one for you to chase down Eric? Well done on last month :-)
Thanks, Mat and Wolfie :!: Well done, Wolfie, and probably you can go even faster :!: But already a bit too ambitious for me, I´m afraid... :roll:

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Some great entries already, well done to everyone who entered a score yet! ^O^

I'm erging once a month these days (for the ctc). My daily portion of sports consists of rowing otw (1.5 - 2hours) and cycling (1 - 1.5 hours). As a result my weight has dropped from 85kg (end of January) down to 77kg :shock: Maybe I should write on the weight loss thread too :lol:

Anyway, a lot of exercise, but almost no erging plus a significant weight loss, what effect would that have on my erging performance? Well, there's only one way to find out :evil:
Usually I like the 5k and I would aim for sub 20 mins, but was unsure whether it would be a good idea to row at 2:00 pace right from the beginning. So I decided to take it a bit easier from the start, see how it feels and decide later on whether I want to go faster (or slower :lol: ). This is how it went:

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (24.95 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
The start felt really heavy so I took it easy for the first 2k. After that I realised I could go a bit faster and with 2k left I thought "why not go for sub 20?". No h/d demons to be seen, so I went for it and I'm quite happy with my time.

But of course I have to have another go to catch Wolfie :evil: :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Carole S
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

Could you please motivate us on the original Weightloss thread as no ones there and I for one am REALLY struggling to the point of wanting to just give UP the whole kit & caboodle and slump in my armchair forever !
Well done on yr ctc
Wish I could row on water but I cant swim
X
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Carole S wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:29 am Could you please motivate us on the original Weightloss thread as no ones there and I for one am REALLY struggling to the point of wanting to just give UP the whole kit & caboodle and slump in my armchair forever !
Well done on yr ctc
Wish I could row on water but I cant swim
X
Carol my dear, I have tried to post a comment on the WL thread but it comes up saying that said thread does not exist. :?

I will not post on here but if WL thread keeps blocking me, then I will post on the Ladies' thread, which I was about to do anyway, in answer to your Top Gun comment.

I have been ' chasing my tail ' of late and haven't had that much time for writing on the forum. Hang on in there and tomorrow I will post what I hope will be a pep talk to help keep you motivated. Don't give up.x
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

It's been a while since I was motivated and/or on the right side of LWT, but managed to log a time this month which should help the team a little (though won't be scaring boat 1 come month's end!).

I may attempt to encourage Mrs Bee to paddle....

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Mat

Post by Mat »

Sounds as if there's a few of us struggling with motivation / training at the moment - all except for Peter of course who is doing more than enough exercise for the rest of us, even if its rarely on the erg :D :fsbgrin: Still - nice 5ks from Wolfie, Peter and Ian =D>

Had my second go this morning and happy to halve the time gap between my first go and the 18' minute mark :fsbgrin:

If I can half that gap again next week then I may just make the 18' by the end of the month :twisted:
F8349D42-8A1C-483F-A8A2-C549F79CD522_1_105_c.jpeg
F8349D42-8A1C-483F-A8A2-C549F79CD522_1_105_c.jpeg (237.11 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
JonT

Post by JonT »

Ian Bee wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:56 pm It's been a while since I was motivated and/or on the right side of LWT, but managed to log a time this month which should help the team a little (though won't be scaring boat 1 come month's end!).
Unless Claudius puts in his usual monster time I think you may well stay in boat 1 Ian. I managed to improve a 22:08 "just put a score in" session last week to a 20:11 effort today. I won;t be going any faster than that. Chris has yet to enter a time yet, so maybe watch your back.

Lovely to see you back.

I hope you succeed in getting Mrs B to enter a time too.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Very nice 5k there Mat, well done! =D> And congratulations on your strong lwt score Ian! =D>

I had my second go last night, exactly one week after attempt #1. Warm up felt better this time, not that "unfamiliar" like a week ago. So I decided to attack my last attempt right from the beginning, stay sub 2:00 for the first 2k and then see if I can catch Wolfie :twisted: :fswink: This is how it went:

Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG (25.06 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
I soon realised that a 2:00 pace was way too easy, so I changed my pacing plan to "stay below 1:59, then go quicker and htfu in the final 1k" :D It worked well, 37 seconds faster than a week ago, so happy with that :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Great results ! Always admiring people with multiple efforts, once upon a time i also did some ctc more than one single effort. Things changed. After the incredibly hot temperatures over the weekend, I put it off until today. That was fine. I haven't done any time trials lately, so I knew the power and max heart rate would lag. I also took my friend and coach's advice to add more color to my training, not just indoor rowing. I learned from this " powerful and wise coach" not to moan. That's why I'm glad I'm not a "DNF." When I hear the word DNF, I always think of the dying part in myself, which wisely contradicts this famous slogan about "DNF".
5k ctc.jpg
5k ctc.jpg (71.6 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
5k ctc dont moan2.jpg
5k ctc dont moan2.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Outstanding 5k Claudius - bravo sir
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Hi guys and gals, well done to all who posted a faster time than mine, never been last on the list before, but somone has to be there I guess. Will probably try again to get off the bottom.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Well, it´s on the TOP of the slowest, Colin... :wink:

Carole S
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

stumpy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:43 pm Hi guys and gals, well done to all who posted a faster time than mine, never been last on the list before, but somone has to be there I guess. Will probably try again to get off the bottom.
Dont worry its usually me thats last by far but at least another FS boats afloat 🌞🚣‍♂️
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Ha Ha well there you go, thank you Carole did you erg it in one continuous go? if so very well done
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

I had said to myself to reach the 3k mark at 1:58 split, I think what I really meant was 1:59... :oops: But nevertheless - I did the first 3k at split of 1:58.0. End result was 19:45.4, my fastest 5k since my big CA 4 years ago.

stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Liefcat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:34 pm Well, it´s on the TOP of the slowest, Colin... :wink:
Top of the slowest, I liked that while it lasted :D :D
Had a second go this morning and finished up even faster but unfortunately I'm now lower down from the top of the slowest ffs
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Well done, Colin and Carole :!: =D> =D>