Pending Upgrades

Where should the web site go - what should we do? Who has the time between rows?

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Pending Upgrades

Post by JonT »

There are a few upgrades that I need to get on top of and which I will probably attempt over the Christmas break.

The forum software is out of date, Tapatalk is also out of date, but the biggest change will be an upgrade to PHP which is the programming language that all of our forum and tools are written in. This could be smooth or could be a horror show and I have been putting it off for months now. At some point I am going to have to bite the bullet though.

I’m pretty confident the forum will be fine with the new version of PHP, but I am less convinced about the Meterboard and tools like the Nonathlon analyser. The Meterboard is the biggest concern because it is so complex, and I didn’t write it. I’ll keep folks posted here….on the assumption that someone reads the posts on this sleepy corner of the forums. #-o

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Pending Upgrades

Post by plummy »

Fingers crossed for a smooth transition. It couldn't be in better hands than yours I'm sure.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:00 pm Fingers crossed for a smooth transition. It couldn't be in better hands than yours I'm sure.
Don't be quite so sure Plummy :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I am taking the Board down now and will run the forum upgrade. [-o< [-o<

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

OK. The forum software upgrade is complete. Next is the upgrade of Tapatalk, which I know a small number of people (including me) use. I'll leave that for a few days to make sure the forum is working properly. Changing more than one thing at once is never a good plan.

Jon
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:11 pm There are a few upgrades that I need to get on top of and which I will probably attempt over the Christmas break.

The forum software is out of date, Tapatalk is also out of date, but the biggest change will be an upgrade to PHP which is the programming language that all of our forum and tools are written in. This could be smooth or could be a horror show and I have been putting it off for months now. At some point I am going to have to bite the bullet though.

I’m pretty confident the forum will be fine with the new version of PHP, but I am less convinced about the Meterboard and tools like the Nonathlon analyser. The Meterboard is the biggest concern because it is so complex, and I didn’t write it. I’ll keep folks posted here….on the assumption that someone reads the posts on this sleepy corner of the forums. #-o
Well I was correct above, I have experimented with upgrading PHP (the programming language that all of our site is written in) and while the forums all continued to work, pretty much everything else fell apart. Most importantly the Meterboard stopped working. So, I am going to have to find a fair chunk of time to try to work out what changes are required. #-o
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

JonT wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:09 am Well I was correct above, I have experimented with upgrading PHP (the programming language that all of our site is written in) and while the forums all continued to work, pretty much everything else fell apart. Most importantly the Meterboard stopped working. So, I am going to have to find a fair chunk of time to try to work out what changes are required. #-o
Well, that's annoying!