Upcoming Challenges

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Upcoming Challenges

Post by JonT »

Just a quick reminder that the January Revolution and Virtual Team Challenge both start on January 1st.

You have to join the challenge here -> https://log.concept2.com/team for metres to count towards the team total. I will set up the usual tracker a few days after the challenge has started.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Re: Upcoming Challenges

Post by Shmoo »

Despite Jon’s reminder, I had forgotten to sign up for the virtual team challenge. Looks like we have only about half our usual numbers registered, so I guess others overlooked this too. There is still time 😀. Jon’s post has the link.
Louise
JonT

Post by JonT »

The challenge analyser is now up and running - https://freespiritsrowing.com/challenge ... enge_teams

It is early days, but we are currently sitting 20th compared to 7th last year.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Carole S
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

Good to see a few more people have joined us now and we have moved up several places
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
JonT

Post by JonT »

I’ll put a proper update up later this weekend. Unfortunately I seem to have broken the tool that generates the report that can be posted here. An easy fix, but still needs a bit of time and effort.

Jon
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Did anyone else sign up for January Revolutions?

I'm officially signed up for the time based one, but I'm kind of hoping to complete all six...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Mike Channin wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 pm Did anyone else sign up for January Revolutions?

I'm officially signed up for the time based one, but I'm kind of hoping to complete all six...
I entered the 15 hr challenge - didn’t want to set the bar too high

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Yes and Im still slowly hauling away
:roll: :fswink:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

The Long Haul
You have challenged yourself to The Long Haul. Your target is to row, ski or ride for at least 30 hours in January. Good luck!

So far, you have done 21 hrs 22 mins.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I'm now on 29hrs 25 mins. Nearly there!
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

The Long Haul
You have challenged yourself to The Long Haul. Your target is to row, ski or ride for at least 30 hours in January. Good luck!

Congratulations! You made The Long Haul and rowed, skied or rode for 30 hrs 54 mins in January!
Have to confess, it has definitely been a long haul...
Gives me 5/6 with only the Big Stretch still to go...
(And I'm only 19/30 for the Crazy Bear :shock: )
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

How's everyone else's challenges going?
I'm slogging away on the HM a day thing, and approaching the final challenge of rowing every day in Jan.
I think I've hit my longest continuous daily rowing streak (by days and by distance). Not sure if I'll hit my highest for one month.
Crazy bear is now at 28/30
Congratulations! You made The Long Haul and rowed, skied or rode for 45 hrs 41 mins in January!
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Draggon »

Mike Channin wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:44 am How's everyone else's challenges going?
I chickened out back when I signed up and only did "20 Days of 500M or more in January". I've far exceeded that goal and will likely end up at 29/31 days rowing in January with significantly more than 500M per day. But no HM's! :)

This is, by far, the most days and/or meters I've ever rowed in a month since I bought my Model D back in 11/2011. It's been kind of eye-opening.
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Draggon wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:32 am But no HM's! :)
Until today... on a whim, I decided to try my very first Half-Marathon today. My initial goal was to hold a 2:10 pace. I quickly realized that was going to be too easy, so I decided on an in-row goal of beating 1H:30M. Pleased overall, but my gluteus maximus hurts!
First Half-Marathon.jpg
First Half-Marathon.jpg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Excellent first HM, @Draggon! Faster than the vast majority of my recent ones, and looks well under control too. The aching glutes is something I can sympathise with!

For setting the PM, I usually do mine with (21x) 1000m splits, and that last 97m (which catches your sprint pace if you're finishing strong!)

I just about topped my best ever monthly total at 650k this time, and also managed to complete all 6 of the C2 Challenges (for the first time). Thanks to @Jon for starting this thread (I think, although my glutes might disagree)...
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Talking of the long haul!!
Screenshot_20220131-185036_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220131-185036_Samsung Internet.jpg (454.84 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Mike Channin wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:59 pmExcellent first HM, @Draggon! Faster than the vast majority of my recent ones, and looks well under control too. The aching glutes is something I can sympathise with!
Thanks, Mike! The glutes kind of surprised me. Started a few minutes after stepping off the machine and it was genuinely painful! They're still a little sore today but feeling much better. Between that and the "stitch" in my mid-right-back, I decided not to have another go at the CTC 6K today.
For setting the PM, I usually do mine with (21x) 1000m splits, and that last 97m (which catches your sprint pace if you're finishing strong!)
That's a good idea. I just took the default splits and used a RowPro spreadsheet to pretty up the data.
I just about topped my best ever monthly total at 650k this time, and also managed to complete all 6 of the C2 Challenges (for the first time).
I've been surreptitiously watching your progress this month. You are a crazy man! :) Or is it crazy bear... I'm not even sure what that's all about, but that's a LOT of rowing!
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Carole S wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:55 pm Talking of the long haul!!
I think you got it! :D =D>
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Yours puts mine to shame, Carole! I didn't even (!) make 50 hours

Congratulations! You made The Long Haul and rowed, skied or rode for 49 hrs 17 mins in January!

Thanks Draggon - not sure I'd recommend the Continuously Crazy Bear, but I am glad I completed it. I quite often get glutes grief during the row, despite having a padded seat (yes, I'm a wimp! It's the biggest factor against me doing a FM right now)
When are you planning your next HM? :D (If you flat pace at your previous best pace, and then pull for the end, you will definitely PB again)
Carole S

Post by Carole S »

Carole S wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:55 pm Talking of the long haul
It helped me get through as Ive been following on social media several crews rowing the Atlantic ocean over the past few months, 2 solo guys crossing from USA to Cornwall and recently the Talisker race to Antigua
NO CAROLE DONT GET ANY SILLY IDEAS LOL
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Mike Channin wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:50 amI quite often get glutes grief during the row, despite having a padded seat
Interesting that you wrote that. I wear my old bicycle shorts when I row for a little bit of sit comfort. However, in this case, it wasn't where I was sitting that was painful, it was the muscle itself. (A little higher up from the seat contact point). I rowed an hour row twice this month and had no issue, so it definitely caught me off guard.
When are you planning your next HM? :D (If you flat pace at your previous best pace, and then pull for the end, you will definitely PB again)
LoL! I wouldn't say I'm planning one any time soon, but who knows. My wife is walking in her very first Indy 500 Mini-Marathon (part of the Indianapolis 500 (Indy-car race) month-long festivities) this May. I'll likely do one that day in solidarity since I refuse to join her in that massive crowd of people... :)

Interestingly to me - may be obvious to everyone else - but an HM on the rower (21,097M) is exactly 13.1 Miles - the same as a Half-Marathon in running terms. Also, my former boss has run the Indy 500 Mini every year since it started. I had lunch with him today, and he said his best time in the Mini was 1H:21M which is pretty comparable to how long a decent HM takes on the rower. I never made the connection. :lol: