Strength training(on and off the erg)

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Strength training(on and off the erg)

Post by paulgould »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: ↑Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:34 pm Cant believe that a month has gone by since I last posted here !!
The strength phase has gone really well. My first real block of it in 30 years 😳😳 now for the hard bit πŸ™ˆ transferring as much of the power into my rowing?? If I can keep 90-95% of my new numbers I'll be happy.

How is your training going Lesley ?? It sounds like your in the build up phase of your run in to the WIRC 😎

Paul I hope the swimming is going well. I presume the walking boots are warming by the fire now ? Your numbers on the ctc are good πŸ‘πŸ‘

What are you up to Iain ??
Good to see you have had a good strength phase - this month's CTC is tailor-made for you.
The swimming is going well, if a bit more infrequent with work issues etc - the good news there is my aerobic fitness is improving and I am now able to swim breathing only on every third stroke, anywhere between 1500m and 2500m per session.
I have upped the walking now and am trying to do at least one long(30+km) walk per week - this month I have so far done a 53km, a 42km, 36km and a 30km, with a 32km North to South IOW walk on Sunday.
Am hoping to do the Round the Island in 24 hrs next July - to do this requires a pace of 4.8 km/h(3 mph) over 116km.
At the moment I am averaging about 5 km/h with all the stopping and getting lost :oops: :oops: for walks of 40km or so, so making progress - on the plus side, for the 24hr walk I know the route blindfolded and will be doing it in a group who tend to walk at close to 6 km/h, but on the flip-side they tend to have long rest stops which I don't like - I prefer to keep moving to stay loose.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Having some fun with weights. I found some info that states women rowers 55 to 59 should be able to dead and squat 0.91 of their bodyweight. Getting close on deads as I got to 4x6 at 70kg tonight. Heaviest set yet. Squats are way behind but time will tell. Hip lifts up to 70kg as well. RDL 4x10 still at 60kg but I think I'll put that up next time.

Working on improving efficiency of energy transfer in the rowing, those few extra percentages on each stroke might be the difference between a medal or not. Quite difficult to change your habits though. Loads of T2 work, probably 80% or more by volume of the total erg work each week.

Also doing the 500m at BRIC for some fun but I think my AIRC time, qualifies me 2nd in Oceania, will be sufficient.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Good luck Lesley tomorrow in the BRIC 500 race 😎😎
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I'm sure that's a new 500 PB Lesley !! 1:43.3 @ 43.7 spm !!!! Well done πŸ’ͺ
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Thanks Kevin, but not this time.

My time at our nationals (AIRC) was faster. But happy with that result at 2AM! A false start from me, no specific prep for this event and I expected about 1.43. Lets see what WRICH brings in February.

Cheers, Lesley
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

duffyoz wrote: ↑Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:36 pm Thanks Kevin, but not this time.

My time at our nationals (AIRC) was faster. But happy with that result at 2AM! A false start from me, no specific prep for this event and I expected about 1.43. Lets see what WRICH brings in February.

Cheers, Lesley
I was wondering about your time difference 😱😱 are you actually going to Hamburg or going to compete remotely ?? Lord only knows what the covid rules will be in Germany for February? Keep us all posted with your training. Its fascinating to hear what other people are doing.

I'm still on my quest to regain some of my strength from past years. I'm in that funny phase now of transferring over to power & speed. I probably wont see any of my true results for weeks. So my fingers are crossed I'm doing it right πŸ™ˆπŸ˜³

Some of the exercises I'm doing at the moment.

Power jerk
Power cleans
Snatch grip RDLs
Fast squats
Push press
Bulgarian SpSq

I managed 160kgx2 squat & 205kg deadlift in the 12 week strength phase. So a reasonable 1st base for me to work off. Although I'm already looking forward to the next one. The lactic acid party is about to start too on the erg 🀒 most of my W/U & C/D are on the bike-erg. I swear this is taking longer the older I get !!

Hows life with everybody else in ergland ??
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

As you probably know now Kevin - Hamburg is all virtual. I think they should open it up though as it still appears you have to qualify through the continental pathway ie 3 people per continent or 15 per event.

Strength phase going well DL's up to 6 x 75kg now and back squats to 6 x 60kg. As I manage more reps I put the weight up but being limited by plates means it has to be by 5kg increments. Apparently, as I put it to 75kg tis morning with my ex phys I am starting to round a little on the last few DL reps so starting to get close to a max weight. It would be cool to lift my bodyweight - 80kg. I find the split squat with 40kg really works the hips/hamstrings/glutes. RDL languishing a little at 65kgbut using a narrower grip than normal to mimic closer to rowing width of grip. Planks, renegade rows, push ups, slow step downs (hip work), YWT, single arm rows, carries, assisted pistols (keeping ROM)

Other erging is loads of T2 with some bike recovery in between. Had a lactate threshold test so working at a proper T2 now or for me it is 76% of hr.

80 days till WRIC!
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I agree about opening up the WRIC that format is leaving so many worthy athletes out. Especially in the masters categories. Originally it was planned on being a joint virtual/actual championships.
So glad that the training is going well !! Those 80 days will fly by.
Are you still having to train at home? (lack of plates) keeping your form with any movement is so important but especially so with deadlifts. I've started videoing my lifting to check on things like that. Its especially hard when training by yourself at home.

It looks like I'm being diagnosed with asthma 😳😳 so I'm doing peak flow tests 3 times a day & before & after workouts πŸ™ˆ doesn't really affect my weights sessions or lower HR stuff but is playing havoc with everything else. Just the extra hurdles us masters have to deal with while pushing our older model classics 🀣🀣

As a foot note. I had my booster jab (3rd jab) of Pfizer 10 days ago. I feel perfectly well. But my ANS scores have dropped through the floor 😳 this has definitely shown up when lifting 90% of my maximum weight. Has anybody else had a similar tale ??
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Still doing gym work at home but see my ex phys once a fortnight. His job to check form. Haven't maxed my plates yet. The max weight i have is 95kg total, so still room to lift more. Up to 75 on deads and 65 on back squats. I've taken a liking to weighted split squats, I can feel them work.

Dealing with the ageing body and multiple slightly sore bits. At what point do you see the physio? Nothing restricting rowing or gym though.

Onwards
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Hello everybody that checks into this thread πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹

Blink & a month has gone by πŸ˜³πŸ™ˆ I managed to complete every session during Christmas & new year !! A bit of juggling with the rest days. I only had one glass of red wine too !! That is a first.
How is your run in to the WRIC going ?? Have you hit 80kg for the deadlift ?? Hopefully the little niggles & aches and pains are all small ones. When are you starting your taper ?? I find that the most frustrating time personally. Are you still doing all your workouts at home still ??

I'm still lifting 4 times a week. The lifts are more dynamic in nature now concentrating on speed. Hopefully this will show through by the end of the month in the IRL (1 minute) fingers crossed.
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:06 pm Hello everybody that checks into this thread πŸ‘‹πŸ‘‹

Blink & a month has gone by πŸ˜³πŸ™ˆ I managed to complete every session during Christmas & new year !! A bit of juggling with the rest days. I only had one glass of red wine too !! That is a first.
How is your run in to the WRIC going ?? Have you hit 80kg for the deadlift ?? Hopefully the little niggles & aches and pains are all small ones. When are you starting your taper ?? I find that the most frustrating time personally. Are you still doing all your workouts at home still ??

I'm still lifting 4 times a week. The lifts are more dynamic in nature now concentrating on speed. Hopefully this will show through by the end of the month in the IRL (1 minute) fingers crossed.
Hi Kevin

Great to see that you and Lesley are still fighting the good fight :) :)
I slacked off in the last few months of last year with hectic work schedule and a dose of cba taking over.
Have been continuing with the walking, and the tough muddy conditions at this time of year make for a good strength workout, especially a mental strength workout.
I still do basic bicep curls and some press-ups, with the very occasional light weight DL session and am trying to get back on the erg at least 6 sessions a week.
For yesterday's 30min session I recorded the highest DF I have yet seen(390-395) and that provided me with a really good strength session!!

For the moment I am just trying to re-establish a sustainable regime of training with the aim of getting into top shape for a July 24hr Round the Island walk(116km & 2100m of ascent) - this should be quite a stiff challenge so I need to be properly prepared.

You guys keep up the good work.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Hello

See injury thread for current state this week. But heavy weights phase finished on a high with deads, hip lifts and back squats all done at 3 x 80kg. I really can't recall what RDL finished up as. I find I quite enjoy my gym at home and have most things I need. Way more convenient than going to a gym, nobody else hogging the space. Onto more muscle endurance stuff now, 4 rounds of 6 mins but that 6 is very full on. More speed work coming into WRIC preparation now, not sure how injury is going to play out just yet, but well see. If I think I can do a time at least equal to my current 2k 7.39.5 ill have a go but if I haven't done the training then there wont be much point and someone else can have my place.

Keep on walking Paul, it is one thing I can't do much of as my hips lock up after a few km's.

How is the speed lifting going Kevin? What goals for 2022 or the new concept season fast approaching?

Stay tuned for more exciting instalments
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Hi folks seems like my once a month entry 😳 so sorry

With only 10 days to go Lesley how are you getting on ?? Fingers crossed your on a full mend & have the unenviable task of deciding to race or not πŸ™ˆ

I'm nearly at the end of my strength to power phase. It's been really interesting throwing barbells around properly for the first time in over 30 years !! I will definitely be doing another phase like this again.
I haven't been on the erg as much as usual. I've only been doing short intervals normally totaling no more than 2500 metres.
I have managed some 50+ pbs
100 mts 15.7 (1:18.5)
250 mts 41.8 (1:23.6)
1 minutes 349mts (1:25.9)
Missed the chance to improve my 500 time due to a slight cold at the time I had planned an attempt. Still managed to equal my 2020 BRIC time of 1:30.1 during training runs though which surprised me.

I'll be beginning to put in the metres again on the erg and hopefully I'll be improving a few of my longer distances along the way πŸ™‚.

I hope you doing well too Paul & still pulling those mega downforces πŸ‘
The weather has been horrid for long walks lately so I hope you have been sensible & are having a mud free February πŸ™‚πŸ˜‰
Mat
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

Hi all - just been browsing the forum a little now I'm back on the erg for good and hope you don't mind me throwing my t'penny worth in here :fsbgrin:

I've pretty well swerved weight training for much of my life because in the immortal words of the TV programme "Why Don't You?" I'd preferred to "Go out and do something less boring instead!" :lol:

Since my hip replacement prevents me from running in the future (I'm allowed to do some gentle jogging but I know that if I start then I won't stop there), I'm now mixing rowing, cycling and weight training (3 cycling sessions per week and 2 each rowing and weights though I will always do a 2k-ish row warm up ahead of weights).

In terms of equipment, I've built up various pieces over the years and then we splashed out on an Olympic set last year for the kids training (they are now both at uni). Together with a squat rack, this provides all I need for a good 45' weight session incorporating 10 exercises aimed at covering most key areas and especially training the muscles around the hip.

I currently work on a 45" on 45" off basis, performing 3 sets of each exercise in pairs (basically alternating the two types of exercises for 3 sets each before moving onto the next pair). Weights are based on initially being able to perform 6 reps per set, building up to 3x10 before increasing weight and dropping to 6 reps again.

Exercises (in pairs as shown) currently: Pull up / Squat, Bench Press / Single leg lunge, Deadlift / Press ups, Bicep Curl / Shoulder Press, Fly / Bent over row
gym.jpeg
gym.jpeg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Your very welcome Mat 😎(so is anybody else)

It's nice to have a zone you can go to at home to workout. Yours looks well thought out 😎 Are you doing 2 routines with your weights ? Sessions A & B then repeating every week ?
Great to hear your rehabilitation & fitness journey is going so well !! Look forward to reading more.
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

An exciting little weights purchase this week - a set of fractionated plates. The raw steel plates I have are in pairs of 20, 10, 5 and 2.5kg so the lightest addition of weight to the bar is 5kg. Who ever knew that 5kg was sssoooooo heavy when you are close to your heaviest weights. So on advice from I have purchased a fractional set with pairs at 0.125, 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 kg plates (rubberised and different colours). Now I can increment up in tiny amounts of just 300g. This will save me some concern during this strength phase while I do miles of steady state at no more than 82% HR on the erg. I also recently purchased a pulley system for the half power rack so I can effectively do face pulls and lat pull downs at home (and other things). Not an expensive piece of kit and adds a bunch more variety to the program. If I was a bit better at innovating I could probably have made one myself. Fun time ahead!
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

duffyoz wrote: ↑Thu May 19, 2022 6:36 am An exciting little weights purchase this week - a set of fractionated plates. The raw steel plates I have are in pairs of 20, 10, 5 and 2.5kg so the lightest addition of weight to the bar is 5kg. Who ever knew that 5kg was sssoooooo heavy when you are close to your heaviest weights. So on advice from I have purchased a fractional set with pairs at 0.125, 0.25, 0.5 and 1.0 kg plates (rubberised and different colours). Now I can increment up in tiny amounts of just 300g. This will save me some concern during this strength phase while I do miles of steady state at no more than 82% HR on the erg. I also recently purchased a pulley system for the half power rack so I can effectively do face pulls and lat pull downs at home (and other things). Not an expensive piece of kit and adds a bunch more variety to the program. If I was a bit better at innovating I could probably have made one myself. Fun time ahead!
You're building quite a set up there Lesley!

I know exactly what you mean about the "But I only added 5kg, how hard can it be?" syndrome. Luckily for me I have always had smaller increments available, but more by accident than design.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Bryce10

Post by Bryce10 »

There are a lot of different approaches and the biggest thing is that any exercise is better than no exercise so well done to everyone . I am 74 now and have stumbled across Dr. Peter Attia (mostly on You tube but he does have a book out) - he is American and his focus is all-cause mortality and the difference fitness and strength make to both longevity and quality of life. Anyway strength training in whatever way an individual approaches it is an important component - there is spill over from erging in the strength department but personally I am in favour of additional strength training in whatever way suits the individual. I have been doing a fair bit of the latter for a good 6 months (mostly weights) and have today knocked 44 seconds off my previous half marathon time. It seems that on average an adult male loses about 1% of muscle mass per year from age 30 so sarcopenia can become a real issue for older rowers (i.e. me) unless they do something about it which comes back to strength training ...... Anyway well done everyone and anyone who has any relationship at all with the metal mistress.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Bryce10 wrote: ↑Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:55 pm There are a lot of different approaches and the biggest thing is that any exercise is better than no exercise so well done to everyone . I am 74 now and have stumbled across Dr. Peter Attia (mostly on You tube but he does have a book out) - he is American and his focus is all-cause mortality and the difference fitness and strength make to both longevity and quality of life. Anyway strength training in whatever way an individual approaches it is an important component - there is spill over from erging in the strength department but personally I am in favour of additional strength training in whatever way suits the individual. I have been doing a fair bit of the latter for a good 6 months (mostly weights) and have today knocked 44 seconds off my previous half marathon time. It seems that on average an adult male loses about 1% of muscle mass per year from age 30 so sarcopenia can become a real issue for older rowers (i.e. me) unless they do something about it which comes back to strength training ...... Anyway well done everyone and anyone who has any relationship at all with the metal mistress.

That has really prompted me to think again about the weight training. I have drifted away from it over the last year and really got stuck in an 'erg only' rut. I feel a New Years resolution coming on! The same can be said for yoga which I have also been neglecting.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Bryce10

Post by Bryce10 »

Well done you!! BTW Yoga probably means flexibility and balance which Attia says is an important part of training for age - something i should look at.