Strength training(on and off the erg)

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Strength training(on and off the erg)

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Paul
Mega effort & big respect for not giving up ^O^ =D> well done on the ctc πŸ‘ mine was a rushed event on Wednesday evening before going to meet a group of people for the first time in 18 months. I found the middle 3218 the hardest bit 🀒.
Good luck with choice of equipment for your next attempt. 3 days sounds more civilised πŸ™‚

Steve
Glad your enjoying the thread πŸ‘ the numbers on my core workouts are as follows.

35/12/Γ—15
35 = the time of work
12 = the rest between each exercise
x15 = number of total exercises (3 rounds of 5 exercises)

In a past life. I wrote thousands of programmes πŸ™ˆ
These ones are taken from the zoom workouts I do for 2 other people. This week is the 67th week since I started them 😳 (march2020) I would include a few more movements but the others are restricted with equipment.

Slam ball
Battle ropes
Swiss ball
Prowler
TRX stuff
Olympic bar stuff (light)
Wall ball

I need to get on & build my gym πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ I enjoy hearing what other people are doing too. I hope my Bike-erg stuff isn't too boring??
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Paul - your walking is amazing - my hips would be shot after the first couple of hours. Next time carry the old gear ie socks, just in case :)

About 4 months till Nationals now, Oct 30, and changes appearing in both programs, erg and s&c. 1 session on erg changed from 80%hr to up to 90-ish on last rep 4 x 7min R22-24, 4'r at 10 faster than R18 80%hr. So for me that is a goal of 2.06 at R22/23 and hitting 90% in last rep - achieved. This will increase, reps and rating and pace over this first 4 week block with decrease in rest. The other 2 sessions are still 80% hr base building, at least for week 1. I throw in a longer 70% bike on off days if I have time. On the weekend if I am not playing catchup with programmed sessions a longer SS row may occur.

S&C is matching with a move away from direct strength work as posted much earlier and more 'movement' [still with lighter rehabby stuff and hip work on other days] - apparently BGE which is blood glucose something - I wish I understood more of this. Supposedly 3 days a week - I try but work has some silly long days at the moment. I prefer the more direct strength work - never thought I would say that - but it was fun.

I have been struggling to do back to back tough sessions which wasn't a problem a while ago. Back to back meaning AM and PM or PM and AM. I probably need to build back to that slowly. I also need a massage but my nice young man has gone on leave.

And an interesting read at the moment - The Art of Resilience by Ross Edgley he was the first person to swim around the UK. Not finished it yet.

4 rounds of 10 - rest 1' between rounds
Day 1
pulsed chucked squats (heel raised a little - I have poor ankle mobility)
upright row
push ups - im hopeless at these
reverse crunches
KB swing
skierg 1min30sec

Day 2
deadlifts
pendulums
bench row kick back
skull crushers
pistol squats - assisted, im bad at these
lean back push
skierg

Day 3
multi point lunge
reverse flies
wall sit
bent over row, 3 position
bench row with bird dog
skierg
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Thanks to all for the good advice and support regarding my walk - next week I will attempt it again but be better prepared - I think I have the stamina and strength but have to pay a bit more attention to the finer details, and hope the weather plays along(not that I can do much about that though) - once that is out the way I will be looking to ramp up the mileage on the erg and the bike.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Forgot to say Steve Golf & OTW amazing summer combo!! Stay out of the 19th though 🀣🀣 Most of the programs I write for group sessions involve time rather than reps. I find that this adapts better to different abilities. If your writing for a specific athlete then reps/weights/rest can be set for ability or targets.

Lesley I know what you mean about the compound lifts being basic & suprisingly enjoyable. The transition from one block to another normally brings more DOMs too. So I understand the need for a massage!! What are you doing to help your ankle mobility??

I'm finding rest days hard to resist doing something at the moment πŸ™„πŸ™„
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Doing the normal standard things for ankle mobility but I don't think I have actually made any ground in that area. I keep chipping away at it. Band around ankle from the back, stretching, heel raises and lowers of step etc etc

I've included pictures of my set up. The half power rack is good for most stuff, the white tow rope acts a a trx system, I just use the safety arm at a higher height to get the angle of the rope as I've been told to do, and the wheelbarrow of pain, also the place to put the kettlebells, and the set of changeable dumbbells, actually 2 sets. KBs 8, 12, 16. Nice to have a bench now and not just use the garden wall , although that did work a treat for ages. It would be nice if it was all in a nice room some where but it is at least under cover. I wont lift if we have had a lot of rain though as sometimes the water seeps across this space and then it might get slippery.

20210408_175455.jpg
20210408_175455.jpg (92.72 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
20210320_172045.jpg
20210320_172045.jpg (163.73 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Screenshot_20210314-193917_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210314-193917_Gallery.jpg (219.18 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

The power rack looks ideal 😎 a great base for almost everything. The wheelbarrow of pain is new to me though 🀣
My pain cave is a little crowded at the moment. I have to shuffle around equipment to suit every day. Good news though I had my 100kg bumper set delivered yesterday!!! My flagstone floor will be relived 🀣🀣 My room is inside a former dairy built in 1853 its grade2 listed as well πŸ™ˆ it's on my long list of restoration projects. But my restoration is more important πŸ™‚πŸ€£
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

The set up isn't perfect but it gets the job done and I can modify exercises or choose ones that suit the equipment I have. My raw steel plates are great and vastly cheaper than bumper plates. The only draw back is they are different sizes so if you were doing hip thrusts with a weighted bar you have to be able to do it at least at 60 kg as the 10kg and lesser plates dont have the diameter to put your legs under. I also absolutely can not drop them on the pavers, I'm fairly sure the pavers would crack. The dumbbells are round which adds a challenge to renegade rows :). The hubster built a small shed but hasn't finished it - maybe next year :) It would be big enough to store the fitball, bosu, dumbbells, mat etc instead of dragging them in and out of the house or wheelbarrow. Not big enough to actually exercise in though.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Odd size plates ImageImage that makes things far more interesting. I waited until my bumper plates were on special offer Image the price post pandemic of most gym equipment is ridiculous!!
How often do you use the bosu ball Lesley ?? Great bit of kit. It on my wishlist when space allows.

I had a reasonable last week managed to tip over 5hours in the green zone Image although I failed to use my watch on a couple of core sessions. School boy error Image

Even ranked a bike-erg 40k. I'm still trying to keep a low HR average on these still though.

How are you getting on Iain ?? Have you managed to find some time to throw those kettlebells around ??

Paul how is your week going ?? The weather is looking good going forward Image BBQ and island walk sounds a great combo Image

Hope the first week of your build up Lesley isn't too painful a shock to the system ??

I keep promising that I will try this months ctc the other way around ( 5k then 2k R20 ) I must be mad ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Going well thanks Kevin.
Have been upping my stroke rate and lightening the stroke to improve my aerobic capacity- current Df in the warmer weather is 340-350 and I am rowing at 23spm or thereabouts- my comfortable training pace is down to 2:06/500m which is getting quicker - regular push-ups have definitely benefited my strength gains
On the walking front - I am planning on starting Friday doing the IOW challenge route - 106km, mostly using the coastal path- with my getting to and from bus stops it will add on about 8-10km - am giving myself 3 days with day 3 hopefully being a short one-hopefully I have learnt from the mistakes I made 2 weeks ago

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Iain

Post by Iain »

Hope the walk goes well Paul. Look forward to your report.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Iain wrote: ↑Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 am Hope the walk goes well Paul. Look forward to your report.
Thanks Iain
I think I am better prepared this time so all should be fine.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Set off yesterday morningat 2.45 on Day 1 of my walk - I decided to get the worst bit out the way first - the northern part of the island route doesn't go anywhere near the sea for the first 40km and involves a lot of road walking on narrow, often busy lanes which is quite unnerving.I had been struggling in the past week with an ingrowing toenail on my left baby toe but thought I would manage the discomfort and just got on with it.
Aside from the dangerous road walking sections, the forest/woods sections were treacherous as a result of the recent heavy rain and there were long unbroken sections of deep mud where you had a Hobson' choice - either take your chances in the mud, or walk through brambles and stinging nettles just off the path :lol: :lol: - I chose the former.
At about the 45 km point where we were right back on the coast I met up with a lovely couple who were doing the island walk over 7 days and we walked most of my last section together - this was really enjoyable as they were adopting a more leisurely pace and I took the opportunity to act as a tour guide, as I've walked all the sections at least once before.
I chose to call an end to day 1 at Alum Bay, after 52 km.
When I got home I set about trying to dress my toe which had got quite a bit worse from the pressure of walking, and last night thought it felt good enough to continue today.
However, when I woke this morning it took quite a while to get my boots on, and then I struggled walking down the stairs - Island 2, Paul 0 :lol: :lol: - very frustrating as I haven't even been able to take the contest to extra-time, let alone penalties!!
As much as I hate to let this thing beat me, I am going to concede defeat - I will have a go again when the weather is cooler(I had done 7 or 8 40km walks early on in the year with no issues), but I don't cope well with the heat - I have very wide feet and battle to find shoes that fit me comfortably, and when they swell up in the heat(my feet, not my shoes :lol: ) I seem to land up with all sorts of foot problems.
On the plus front, I feel I am still steadily getting stronger and am feeling very well.
I received my results from my echocardiogram a few weeks ago, which revealed that my heart had suffered more damage than I had initially thought - my EF was measured at 41% where I was hoping it would be around about 50%, but I really can't complain - it's not stopping me getting stronger and while my aerobic capacity is never going to be great I am still around and have a lot to be incredibly thankful for.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by JonT »

paulgould wrote: ↑Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 pm
As much as I hate to let this thing beat me, I am going to concede defeat - I will have a go again when the weather is cooler(I had done 7 or 8 40km walks early on in the year with no issues), but I don't cope well with the heat - I have very wide feet and battle to find shoes that fit me comfortably, and when they swell up in the heat(my feet, not my shoes :lol: ) I seem to land up with all sorts of foot problems.
To be honest Paul, I imagined the heat would stop you from attempting this. So, I'm impressed you even gave it a go. It looks like the odds were heavily against you though with the heavy rain, followed by searing heat and your poor feet. Well done for giving it a crack. I'm sure you will get this one under your belt this year at some point. =D> =D>
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain

Post by Iain »

Total insanity to even start it this weekend, but that is what we have come to expect from you! I'm sure will be fine when the weather breaks! Why didn't you do it on your bike (path amended for any uncyclable obstacles/ paths)? Well done on the day you did manage. I hope your feet recover well.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Paul amazing effort. Not surprised the island won again though.
Regroup and trying again with a more favourable weather window.
Sorry to hear about your EF being 41% but as you say your feeling well & getting stronger Image completely due to your continued daily efforts. Long may it continue Image even though it's at a ridiculous DF Image

My week has been another consistent one. No records just a bit of graft & digging in when I didn't fancy it at all. Missed out a couple of sessions with recording. Ho hum.

Happy erging this week folks Image but if you miss a few sessions because of heat or family time. So be it Image

paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Thanks Jon, Iain.
On reflection, I didn't pick the best weekend weather-wise to attempt this :lol: :lol:
I will definitely do it though when the weather is cooler.

Iain, I have done the Round Island cycle route which, other than about 10-12km of the northern section, is quite different from the walking route.
I am quite keen to get in a bit of cycling, and want to start swimming again for a bit of variety.

I am also planning on doing a remake of "My Left Foot"(apologies to Daniel Day-Lewis) - only this version is going to be an auto-biographical medical drama :lol: :lol:

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Iain

Post by Iain »

paulgould wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:33 amIain, I have done the Round Island cycle route which, other than about 10-12km of the northern section, is quite different from the walking route.
I am quite keen to get in a bit of cycling, and want to start swimming again for a bit of variety.
I don't recommend a round island swim to complete the triple! :lol:
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Iain wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:20 pm
paulgould wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:33 amIain, I have done the Round Island cycle route which, other than about 10-12km of the northern section, is quite different from the walking route.
I don't recommend a round island swim to complete the triple! :lol:

Iain this may come as a shock to you but I was toying with the idea of a round island swim before I had my CA😳😳
As far as I know there are about 6 swimmers who have swim non-stop round the island - approximately 96km!!

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 am Paul amazing effort. Not surprised the island won again though.
Regroup and trying again with a more favourable weather window.
Sorry to hear about your EF being 41% but as you say your feeling well & getting stronger Image completely due to your continued daily efforts. Long may it continue Image even though it's at a ridiculous DF Image

My week has been another consistent one. No records just a bit of graft & digging in when I didn't fancy it at all. Missed out a couple of sessions with recording. Ho hum.

Happy erging this week folks Image but if you miss a few sessions because of heat or family time. So be it Image

Thanks Kevin
I can’t really complain as I am healthier than I ever thought I would be againπŸ‘πŸ‘

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Haven't updated on here for a while.

Firstly, and probably most importantly, well done to the Boks for beating the B&I Lions =D> =D> =D>

I have been making steady progress on the erg - I've been pushing up the rate and lightening the stroke in order to build up more aerobic fitness and am doing 30 mins, 8k & 10K sessions mainly, all at 22+ spm at between 2:05 and 2:08 pace on my usual DF(330-360, weather depending).
I have done 2 SB's this last week - no world-beating pace but felt strong :

30 min - 7378m at 24.4spm on df 302
60 min - 14329m at 23.8spm on df 335.

On the 30 mins I started slow and did the second 15 mins at 2:00 pace which still felt comfortable.

I have not done much walking as I want my feet to fully heal, and the weather to cool down, before doing some more long walks.
I have however taken up membership at our local pool, and I have done 8 sessions so far - I am swimming 3x per week - with the COVID regs it is pre-booking only, and 45 minutes a session, which is good as it prevents me overdoing it.
Because I am a tugboat rather than a speedboat I can do max 2000m in a session, which I did this morning.
Very pleasantly surprised that I don't seem to have lost any swimming fitness and have got a bit quicker - probably helps that I have 50lbs less flab to lug through the water!!
So far I have done 2 x 1000m, 5 x 1500m and 1x 2000m and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Sorry I haven't added to this thread πŸ˜” life & training has been full. I'm 6 weeks in to a 12 week strength programme now.
I'm only rowing 3-4 times a week longest session are 4 x 1ks but the pace is getting warmer now.
I've just completed my half way tests.

100mts 15.8
500mts 31.7

Weights wise I'm close to my 200kg target for the deadlift. The squat is lagging a bit. Mainly caused by a stiff left lat & shoulder. But fingers crossed I'll make 180kg by the end of the 12 weeks (29 Nov)
I'll update hopefully more soon.

Great times Paul !! Wise move resting you poor feet 😳 keep the swimming up too 😎

How are you Lesley???
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

After being in a muscle endurance phase and a short taper leading into the AIRC - see PB post for that successful day, I am about to enter a relatively short heavy weights work for 6 to 8 weeks. Heading to WRIC in late Feb so everything is targeted at that. I am really looking forward to throwing the old rusty steel plates around again. It is a hoot, back squats, deadlifts, RDL's, bulgarian split squats, weighted stepups, etc. One also doesn't have to count 15 to 20 reps either :lol: .

I was thinking of rigging up a pulley system, like a cable system, to be able to do some other stuff but I found you can actually by a pulley system and fit it to almost any rack. A bit of imagination and my low end of the garden wall has been a bench, the shorter tow rope is a TRX system - fun to be able to rig something effective from nothing.

But this week is a light training week only, low HR stuff for recovery from competition. Onwards :D
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Great result Lesley !! It's amazing how quickly you forget the pain & sick bowl of a conditioning phase 😳🀣
I'm in the land of 2s 3s & 4s. My new nemesis of an exercise is reverse lunge 😱 I must admit the DOMs are high at the moment.

How are your poor old feet Paul ??
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:18 am Great result Lesley !! It's amazing how quickly you forget the pain & sick bowl of a conditioning phase 😳🀣
I'm in the land of 2s 3s & 4s. My new nemesis of an exercise is reverse lunge 😱 I must admit the DOMs are high at the moment.

How are your poor old feet Paul ??
Either my feet have hardened or I've become impervious to pain - yesterday I completed my second 3-day Round The Island walk in 2.5 weeks(on the Coastal Path), and only one blister to show for it. :lol: :lol:
My first attempt from 12-14 Oct was on my own, anti-clockwise and was tough but I coped OK(Distances include walking to/from transport points - about 10km over 3 days)
Day 1 - Ryde to Yarmouth - 44km
Day 2 - Yarmouth to Ventnor - 51km
Day 3 - Ventnor to Ryde - 33km

The one I finished yesterday was with a group mainly from the LDWA(Long Distance Walking Association) which I joined 2 weeks ago, and although at a significantly quicker pace, was far easier.
Day 3(yesterday) was rather interesting - On Tennyson Down(above the Needles) there were wind gusts of 60-80 mph and I am proud to say I was the only one(out of 9) who did not get blown off their feet - only to later fall on my backside in the mud when I wasn't concentrating!!!
This time we walked clockwise doing the worst section on day three(mostly road walking) where on my solo walk I got that section out the way on Day 1(between Yarmouth and Cowes, almost 60% of it on road)
Day 1 - E Cowes - Shanklin - 41 km
Day 2 - Shanklin - Freshwater Bay - 42km
Day 3 - Freshwater Bay - Cowes - 45km

Glad to see you and Lesley both still training hard - keep it up.

Paul G
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Cant believe that a month has gone by since I last posted here !!
The strength phase has gone really well. My first real block of it in 30 years 😳😳 now for the hard bit πŸ™ˆ transferring as much of the power into my rowing?? If I can keep 90-95% of my new numbers I'll be happy.

How is your training going Lesley ?? It sounds like your in the build up phase of your run in to the WIRC 😎

Paul I hope the swimming is going well. I presume the walking boots are warming by the fire now ? Your numbers on the ctc are good πŸ‘πŸ‘

What are you up to Iain ??