Advice needed re rowing machine for someone with Spina Bifida

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Advice needed re rowing machine for someone with Spina Bifida

Post by Paul Victory »

I’ve been asked for advice by a neighbour regarding a suitable rowing machine for someone with Spina Bifida. The woman’s daughter is in her mid 30s and has been advised by her therapist to use a rowing machine as part of her physical therapy.

It seems to me that a C2 machine would be far more sophisticated (and a lot more expensive) than would be required, but I don’t want to recommend a cheap machine that might cause more harm than good. I’ve seen machines advertised from €99 upwards.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be gratefully received.

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Advice needed re rowing machine for someone with Spina Bifida

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Wow Paul that's a tough one.
So many questions about the specific needs of her daughter & her mobility to date. What other strength exercises does she do at present ? I would have thought the stability & ruggedness of the machine was paramount plus the ability to modify the seat to give extra support if needed. I'm sure a good pre loved Concept2 would be a good prospect ??
I'm sure British rowing might even be able to point you in the right direction of companies that modify seats or even the best machines for her needs.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Kevin. I also posted on Facebook and got a number of responses there.

General consensus seems to be that C2 is the best option (cost notwithstanding) and a few recommended that she discuss it with her therapist. I’ve passed on this advice.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Paul Victory wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:58 am Thanks Kevin. I also posted on Facebook and got a number of responses there.

General consensus seems to be that C2 is the best option (cost notwithstanding) and a few recommended that she discuss it with her therapist. I’ve passed on this advice.
Glad you've got some good replies 🙂 I have done rehabilitation strength work before but many years ago now. I hope she gets on well with whatever machine she chooses.
duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

Some of our older gentlemen (>90) prefer to use the tractor seat on the concept. It certainly holds them on the seat better. No idea how much one would cost though. Some of our invictus games athletes also modify the seat quite successfully for themselves. One I know uses a clamp to hold the seat in one position, measured so his legs are on the foot plates but he doesn't use his legs to actually row as the seat then doesn't move. Pulls some good times as well. Plus concept have 2 models and one is higher of the ground than the other possibly making it easier to get on and off.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

The mod E is the higher off the ground version but is expensive.

Perhaps an earlier model and somebody who can put blocks under it to raise the seat?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the further advice folks. I’ll pass it on.