December ctc - 813m, standing start

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: December ctc - 813m, standing start

Post by JonT »

Tritorow wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:41 pm I saw you needed a couple ladies' times, so I thought I would see if I could erg without pain yet. 4 weeks out from 3 fractured ribs and I was able to do short, fast strokes with little resistance without pain! Not a fast time, but it still counts :). Hopefully in a few more weeks I can return to all activity.
Thanks for braving it Janet. As you say, they all count. There should be a bonus for rowing after broken ribs! ^O^ ^O^
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

duffyoz wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:07 am Unfortunately my penchant for leaving these to the end of the month has backfired. I had emergency surgery on Christmas day, nothing like being dramatic. I'm not allowed near any ergs or my home gym for 6 weeks. Puts paid to competing virtually at worlds as well. Life happens, just bad timing. All good though and back home next day. Counting the 6 weeks and designing the rebuild.
Oh no #-o.

Sorry to hear that Lesley. You were having a really strong season. Actually, you were having an amazing season. I'm glad to hear you are home, and I'm sure you will soon regain that form and determination once you have recovered fully.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Shmoo
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Shmoo »

Lesley’s shoes are far too big to fill, but I at least floated another boat. Hope to see you back fully recovered soon Lesley. Louise
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Well done to all who have performed so far this month - especially those who have had multiple attempts at what is a truly horrible distance ^O^ =D> =D>

I'd not been anywhere near the erg for almost a month after taking part in a running challenge leading up to Christmas, so when I sat down a couple of days ago for a 6x1k session, I found it so tough I had to bail out after 4!! Needless to say I wasn't looking forward to this challenge

So as my better half put the tea on this evening, I decided it was now or never, and sat down to dial in the numbers

The plan: take it reasonably steady until the final 300m then put in everything you've got.

How it went: pushed hard from the off, and regretted it immediately... kept on pulling and counting strokes in my head, not daring to look at the PM until I'd counted to 70! After that, progressively shorter and shorter strokes until the meters finally hit 0.

Pleasantly surprised at the result - clearly the running fitness has transferred a little to the erg, but I'm glad it wasn't any further!

813m, 2:36.8, 1:36.4, 36
813m (1).jpeg
813m (1).jpeg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 738 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

I managed to talk Lorraine into giving it a go 😎 so we have 5 boats floated =D> =D>

Great time Mat =D> =D> I'm off to bite my knuckles and to tell myself not to try again tomorrow 🤣🤣
Well done everybody ^O^ ^O^
Mat

Post by Mat »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 pmI'm off to bite my knuckles and to tell myself not to try again tomorrow 🤣🤣
Go on Kevin... you know you want to

It’s only a minute or so of discomfort followed by another excruciating minute or so, then you can get down to celebrating the end of 2020 :twisted: :twisted:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Mat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:18 pm
Kevinhorne44 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:04 pmI'm off to bite my knuckles and to tell myself not to try again tomorrow 🤣🤣
Go on Kevin... you know you want to

It’s only a minute or so of discomfort followed by another excruciating minute or so, then you can get down to celebrating the end of 2020 :twisted: :twisted:
🤣🤣 stupidly I've entered the Canadian championships 6th February. What was I thinking at my age !! The weights & erg sessions are robbing me of every ounce of energy. I've had one alcoholic drink over the festive season 😳😳 I also think the time Steve did deserves to be in boat 1 ^O^ loving the banter & friendly competition here though 😎
Mat

Post by Mat »

Kevinhorne44 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:18 pm
🤣🤣 stupidly I've entered the Canadian championships 6th February. What was I thinking at my age !! The weights & erg sessions are robbing me of every ounce of energy. I've had one alcoholic drink over the festive season 😳😳 I also think the time Steve did deserves to be in boat 1 ^O^ loving the banter & friendly competition here though 😎
That’s clearly painful enough already so it sounds like you’ve made a sensible choice!

Have a great night and rest assured that on top of your training for the Canadian champs, next months CTC looks like it’ll be even more painful! #-o #-o

Happy New Year to all :fsbgrin:
Crushy
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Crushy »

🤣🤣 stupidly I've entered the Canadian championships 6th February.
Might be a silly question but why the Canadian ones?

BTW.... Happy New Year Everyone
Irregular socially competitive rower. (b. 1966) Always hated erging. Started again for excersise in lockdown.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Crushy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 pm
🤣🤣 stupidly I've entered the Canadian championships 6th February.
Might be a silly question but why the Canadian ones?

BTW.... Happy New Year Everyone
It was the best timed one to give me a chance to regroup & hopefully improve my time from my 1st race. I'm a complete novice at this & learning all the time.

Happy New Year everyone too !!
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

great efforts showed on the last ctc of 2020, congrats to all finishers, Lesley i wish you a fast and good recovery ! HNY
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)