May ctc - 1‘, standing start

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

Hi everybody,

MAD team have announced the May ctc:

„The MAD Team choice for the May CTC is a simple, unrestricted, 1min sprint. A single piece, rowed stand alone from a standing start, with maximum metres recorded for the 60seconds of rowing (or skiing for the skierg team). No stroke rate restrictions.“

At least the usual question re pacing is easily answered this time :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

Grobi wrote:
„The MAD Team choice for the May CTC is a simple, unrestricted, 1min sprint. A single piece, rowed stand alone from a standing start, with maximum metres recorded for the 60seconds of rowing (or skiing for the skierg team). No stroke rate restrictions.“
Grrrrr. It doesn’t get much sprintier than that Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
jolo
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: May ctc - 1‘, standing start

Post by jolo »

Should be good for participation tho. All you need is access to the rower.
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

jolo wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09 pm Should be good for participation tho. All you need is access to the rower.
...and a good warm up! :shock: :shock:
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
jolo

Post by jolo »

Didn't sleep very well last night and wasn't feeling good at all when I got up. Thought I might try an easy 30 minutes on the rower to get my blood moving and see if I felt better. No plan at all to attempt the 1 minute ctc. After 30 minutes I put the df up high and did a few hard pulls. It felt pretty good so figured I would have a go and at least get in an initial time.

Finished 321m 1:33.4 Somehow the pm got on watts so I wasn't sure of my pace until the end. Felt like I had plenty of endurance to go farther at that pace just didn't have any more power to give. That will be something to work on this month. After the workout I am feeling great..amazing what a little exercise can do to make you feel better.
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
Tako

Post by Tako »

This is a very very tough challenge!
Not only for the mind and body, but also for the surroundings and equipment.
The machine got really moving.
Last week I put in a score of 336m, after which the kids came in and wondered what I had been doing as their toys were shaking on the table next door; disadvantage of living in a wooden house ;-)
Today on my way to the 9MM I thought I try the 2k for the spring series, but HD’d after 600m as I am really lacking power over time these days.
So I thought I might give Fred a fight but only managed 337m, after being on route for 341m until last 10sec.
Fortunately there are three more weeks left in May, but it looks like there will be many identical scores this month and as the one coming first gets served first, you shouldn’t wait too long to add a score. Who would like to miss a boat by 1 meter or because the score was entered later....

As Dave mentioned; DO NOT FORGET TO WARM UP!!!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Draggon
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

I've not done a CTC in.... well, a long time. This one seemed manageable, so I gave it a shot after a 5k paddler (post strength workout). The result?

307M

I'll take it for now, but I think I can do better.... I feel like I got a slow start due to not knowing what to expect.
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Brave results so far ! My go was in between the nightshifts on icu ( first nightshift weekend since 30 month!) So didn't expect anything special..and was quit happy with 344m...so I checked my previous results...and it came out that this 1min attempt is my 3rd all ever performed all out effort...and a pb ! strange...sorry for no longer taking part in the spring series...too busy with other training.
Attachments
20200511_021104.jpg
20200511_021104.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

That‘s a very impressive score Claudius, well done! =D>
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

Indeed - a mighty impressive score. Well done Claudius.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

Some very impressive efforts going in on this one from the Free Spirits.

This is very unfamiliar territory for me: high drag factor and a rating above 19!!

It wasn't pretty.

I hoped for anything above 300m and managed 310. I won't be venturing into this strange land again any time soon.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
jolo

Post by jolo »

Thats a pretty darn good effort Jon! You are good at this sprinting stuff without knowing =D>
Joe
57 6'1" 90kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Just for once, you've given me a target although I so hate silly little sprints as they use up an entire training session's worth of energy and cover so few metres. Over the last 3 years I've managed 311, 317 and 314 so 310 might be just do-able (or 311 ;-) )
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am Just for once, you've given me a target....Over the last 3 years I've managed 311, 317 and 314 so 310 might be just do-able (or 311 ;-) )
My pleasure Plummy. Looking at those numbers I'm pretty sure you can pass me. One of the issues with this event is you really don't know until you've finished.
plummy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am although I so hate silly little sprints as they use up an entire training session's worth of energy and cover so few metres.
I know what you mean. I did a very steady 3k warm up and warm down and the sprint in the middle, and I was completely exhausted afterwards, which I found a bit weird, and which means I am very unlikely to do this one again.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Had my first go at this today and managed 295m. I said in another thread that I would be struggling to get within 15% of my PB for 1 minute and that's exactly what I did. Well almost exactly - 85% of 347m is 294.95m.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by paulgould »

Paul Victory wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:31 pm Had my first go at this today and managed 295m. I said in another thread that I would be struggling to get within 15% of my PB for 1 minute and that's exactly what I did. Well almost exactly - 85% of 347m is 294.95m.

Paul V
Better than my first attempt - 260m which is 70.84% of my PB.
I have been rowing at 2:30-2:35 pace so a sub-2:00 pace was quite uncomfortable - my sternum and ribs haven't quite healed yet so I can't get too much upper body into the sprints :oops: :oops:

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Tako

Post by Tako »

Paul & Paul, what was that plan about taking it easy??? No tough sprints please!!!
Remember any score counts no matter the pace!
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

#-o [-X gentlemen!
Cruise to any score you like, but no exertion please :-)

Managed 326 myself.
But that was after 4x1k/5r Pete Plan session, so I may have another go. May not :)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Question team - Does "Standing Start" mean the flywheel has to be still, or can it be pre-spun, handle down, then start? My first attempt was with a still flywheel, and it was definitely noticeable spinning it up. Thanks, and sorry for the dumbish question.
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by paulgould »

Draggon wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:08 pm Question team - Does "Standing Start" mean the flywheel has to be still, or can it be pre-spun, handle down, then start? My first attempt was with a still flywheel, and it was definitely noticeable spinning it up. Thanks, and sorry for the dumbish question.
I think the flywheel has to be stationary, Ron.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Today being quite warm over here I thought it would be a good idea to do this one again in stead of a longer distance. Nive temperature for warm muscles and such.
Managed to scape out 345 meters, the same as Tako, but he was the first one so he's still ahead of me of course.
The last bit was very tough but didn't want to quit.
My machine was jumping around more then usual I think so I might have scared the family.
ctcmei20.JPG
ctcmei20.JPG (25.42 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Tako

Post by Tako »

Great score Fred ! That was really close and as I wrote earlier it pays off to be early :-)
Helaas, pindakaas ;-)

I scared the family as well with my first attempt due to the jumping erg, but for the second I had one of them standing on the ergs feet ;-)
plummy

Post by plummy »

Second attempt and managed a 4m improvement to 309m. Didn't fade too much at the end but simply didn't have/couldn't apply any more power with my wonky leg drive.

Just need 2m to pip JonT - so may have one more go...
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Well, that was fun.

I rowed a slow 2K just to get warmed up. Set up my 1 Min row. Patiently waited for the flywheel to stop spinning as I flexed and stretched (old weightlifter's tricks for psyching up for a big effort). Flywheel stops, both hands on the handle, knowing I have to overcome the first few seconds of flywheel resistance, so I pull kind of hard - and promptly find myself holding onto the handle while sitting very uncomfortably on the erg's stainless steel track. No recovery from that! Luckily, no one saw it and it's not on film, so I diligently reset everything.

Waited for the flywheel to stop. Consciously trying to stay in the seat this time, I managed a decent start, but promptly realized my biggest problem here was going to be maintaining my seat. I'm not exactly sure what was going on, but I was very light on the seat for this row. Luckily, it settled itself out at about 45 seconds as my biggest problem for the last 15 seconds was simply getting any push with my wobbly legs.

End result: 327 Meters - a 20 meter improvement over my first attempt, and a new PB (not too tough when you've only done a 1' row twice... :D)
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm Second attempt and managed a 4m improvement to 309m. Didn't fade too much at the end but simply didn't have/couldn't apply any more power with my wonky leg drive.

Just need 2m to pip JonT - so may have one more go...
My recommendation is you leave t just there. I simply can't see you finding any more of an improvement Plummy and I wouldn't want you to strain yourself for no reason. :lol: