Queensland Indoor Rowing Championships

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

duffyoz
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Queensland Indoor Rowing Championships

Post by duffyoz »

I've gone and put my registration in for my first erg race!

It isn't until June 7th :lol: . Apparently I was the 2nd entrant. I have entered the 55-59 2k, 500,1000 and mixed relay which is more of a fun event at the end. It isn't a huge event in terms of numbers. Times for events, or really the start of that event, with the number of actual races, and their start time, to be decided but roughly
9.00 opening
9.10 politicians relay
9.25 1 min
10.15 2000
11.15 500
12.30 1000
1.40 100m
2.30 mixed relay

My main aim is the 2000m, so I'm glad that's first for me. As I'm a member of the club running this we get a couple of training days at the gym they will be using. Already nervous, so I put the flyer up around the house and at work so I see it all the time.

I will update here as time draws near, and the panic sets in :lol:
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Queensland Indoor Rowing Championships

Post by plummy »

That's an ambitious first event - brave lady!! Not much of a gap between then but as you say, the 2000m is out of the way first.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Well the State Championships are done. I'm glad I got to compete at the NSW indoor series (zoomed in from Brisbane to Sydney) so I knew what the whole procedure was. NSW indoor series had 2 rounds and then their State Champs which unfortunately were on the same day as the Qld champs. With no competition in my age group in Qld, 3 x 1st in 2000, 1000, 500. I deliberately only did enough to ensure it was hard but not completely flatten myself. So times of 7:49.3, 3:50.0, 1:45.5.

Times from the previous NSW indoor series where there was at least other people to beat led to the following
Round 1 NSW Indoor 15 August
1000m 1st 3:43.2 (PB)
500m 1st 1:44.1 (PB)

Round 2 NSW Indoor 13 September
2000m 1st 7:41.8 Australian Record
500m 1st 1:46.4

Onwards to the Australian Indoor Champs and hopefully qualify for the virtual World Championships :D
plummy

Post by plummy »

1st placements, PBs - superb haul of rewards for all your efforts this year. Truly well done and deserved. Cracking stuff ^O^ ^O^
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Congratulations Lesley ๐Ÿป good luck with the preparation for the Australian champs ๐Ÿ’ช
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Super stuff Lesley. Looking forward to the write up of the next leg at National champs. :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

What a great weekend of erg racing. Australian National Champion 2020, womens 55-59 HWt in 2000m and 500m. The AIRC is run across several physical sites and this year, virtual as well. All results then put together by time -team.

Http://time-team.nl/en/info for all the gory details, use matrix results then select the event of interest.

The day before, arrive at the accommadation. Late lunch of calamari. Enjoyed views of the bathroom for a few hours in the evening. Not the best start but felt better through the night. Normal porridge for breakfast, with the normal pre race, feeling ill.

At the venue with time to spare. 30 min out from race, a 20 min warmup. Organised someone else to adjust the df for me as I can't reach to do it with my feet strapped in. Hoping to hold 1.55 strokes with only the odd 1.56 if needed. Last 2k record row was av 1.55.4. I was hoping to hit this and push a little more at the final 200. Too many 1.56 and 1.57 showing, do better I said, just simply do better. That middle 1000 is tough, initial adrenalin is gone the sprint to the finish hadn't started. As it ticked over about 900 to go I knew I had more. The argument continued, if I push just a little more now will there be anything left. 500 to go, come on legs, mouth too dry to swallow. 300 to go, get ready to ramp up. 200 to go trying hard to push more. 100 to go, 12 strokes to count. Done, in a new Australian record, beating my own by 1.1s. New PB, new Aussie champ, new record. Cheer the others to the finish. Then start to wonder why I do this to myself. 7.40.7 woot woot.

Technical difficulties with too many age groups in the 500m event meant this was pushed from 11.50 to about 2pm. Ended up with a warmup 20 min before the event but nearly managed the PB. Happy to finish it with a 1.45.0.

Then the wait for other states to link in their results. 2 golds, pretty happy with that. Who knew 12 min of rowing including a relay and also some warmup time would leave me more than a little stiff and sore.

Onwards to December 5, for the Oceania qualifying race for the world championships. I need to finish 1st to qualify through that pathway. Also tapping this out on my phone so I apologise if there are errors ๐Ÿ™‚
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Superb result Lesley ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿพ apart from the calamari a perfect weekend.
Best of luck with the build up to December. But whatever your doing it's certainly working except for your seafood choices ๐Ÿ˜‰
JonT

Post by JonT »

Fantastic results Lesley. Many, many congratulations! =D> =D> =D>
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Brilliant Lesley, huge congratulations. Very well done.

(as a side note, those of us that have been around a while will remember Nick Wakeford, and I see he posted 6:20 in M40-49)
Wolfie

duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Here we are again. Less than 12 months since last years State champs as they were delayed but the 2021 Queensland State Champs are Sunday 6thJune. Im not back to my best yet but well on the way. Crazy me was in attendance when I registered, she was thinking the time won't be great so just have a fun day, silly bugger entered everything. From memory the race order will be 1 min, 2k, 1k, 500, 100 then relay. Whoopsie, might be a bit much.

Stay tuned for the devastatingly slow results :fsbgrin:

Training has been the same but 2 weeks out some short high rate extra sessions and some slightly lower weight with 8 reps, 4 sets of 8 min rounds style of strength training, again to not lose any gains but also bring in some more speedier moves.

This is the start of our racing season downunder. I can erg race about once a month now until the Nationals in October and the Pan Pac Masters in November. Those 2 are the target races hoping to get back to the 7.40 2k by then.

Cheers, Lesley
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Good luck Lesley with your taper/race prep. Be a good baseline test for you.
Injury free is the key. I've no doubt you wont be that slow though.
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Thanks Kevin, My problem is figuring out what pace to hit the 2k at. The ctc was a good indication for 1k, probably around 1.55 ish. The 500 and 100 are fly and die but the 2k will require some thinking this week.
L.
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

duffyoz wrote: โ†‘Sat May 29, 2021 11:53 pm Thanks Kevin, My problem is figuring out what pace to hit the 2k at. The ctc was a good indication for 1k, probably around 1.55 ish. The 500 and 100 are fly and die but the 2k will require some thinking this week.
L.
You would not believe the number of conversations I have had on 2k pacing ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ my poor mate/coach/mentor Tony ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
I've always gone for the blast off then a slightly conservative pace followed by full gas last 300/350
I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you decide. I find the week before boring as hell with all that pent up energy inside. I drive my family nuts ๐Ÿ˜‚
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

How did it go Lesley ??
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

It is always nice to collect some hardware but there is little competition in my category in Queensland so my focus was on benchmarking my times. I have a lot of work to do - sigh - to get back to where I was.

My ever patient hubster and I stayed the night before but I stayed away from the calamari - if anyone remembers my bathroom story from the nationals last year. A good start. Some crazy woman entered all five events and it turned out all of them were about 90 mins apart. I had a stern word with that woman about not doing that again.

1min - 298m - The lady next to me slipped on the seat at the start, I thought I was in with a chance, All going well until I slipped on the seat just a few strokes short. 1st. Happy with 298 as 303 is my best result in this. Removed the shorts to leave rowing pants on for all other events. After years of being overweight but now not so, I am still not entirely comfortable walking around in public in bike pants.

2k - Just wanted to be under the 8min. A friend in the same race but older group has never gone under 8min and as the commentator called the race we were neck and neck. That competitive streak took over, I can not lose to Peta (also she is a member of the Diamonds) so dig deeper, push harder, Im struggling to rate any higher at the moment but ended with 7.55.x - 1st I'm ok with that as a bench mark, not sure there was too much left in the tank. My best is 7.40.7 so a long way to go.

500m 1.47.2 - 1st - My best is 1.44.1 so this was pretty good. Felt so short after the 2k :)

1k - 3.52.6 - 1st - 3.43.2 is my PB so some way to go with this one. Starting to flag at this point. Warmup was getting shorter and I noted less people in the warmup room as well. Living off a banana and a handful of sultanas immediately after each race and staminade. High carb bar designed for cyclists in there after the 2k as well. Not the nutrition plan I had hoped to follow but I survived.

100m - 19.2 - 1st - equal to my PB. Set the flywheel at about 8. I knew I was too tired to put it at 10 which I normally would for a 100m. I hit the support man standing next to me as we started. He was the "handler" for the vision impaired athlete next to me. Apologies if that is the wrong word. I think adaptive athletes are bloody amazing. Focused past the constant calling of the pace and tried to push hard. Quite surprised to see this result.

I think this shows I have the power back but not the endurance. There was no speed work for this, no nasty 750's or 8x500 sessions or any other open rated sessions, certainly no taper. A benchmark across the events to hopefully springboard to better results later in the year. A great day catching up with other ergistas. So 5 from 5 individual events and finished 4th in the 'friendly' relays.

A tad sore Sunday night and after mowing the lawn when we got back on Monday I spent the afternoon watching trash TV. :)

Cheers, Lesley
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Well done Lesley. Shame there wasn't a Pentathlon medal! How you faced a 1k after the first 3 I cannot imagine. I am sure some of the time differential will have been the tiredness from the other events and equalling your 100 PB despite hitting someone at the all important start was an amazing achievement. The 1 min despite slipping shows that you were close on this as well. Endurance training, sharpening and a taper should bring you back to where you want to be in short order.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Incredible effort there Lesley ^O^ . 5 events in short order sounds like you are a serious glutton for punishment - well done on all your performances =D> =D>
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

hell of a day Lesley, amazing achievements =D> =D>
Wolfie

Carole S
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

=D> ^O^ :fsbgrin:
You are an amazing and inspirational lady
Bravo for all that you achieved
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Amazing achievement Lesley! Multiple congratulations. =D> ^O^ =D> ^O^ =D>
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Thank you ladies and Gentlemen.

You are all amazing yourselves to continue to erg through tough times be they pandemic or personal. I do not think I will do 5 in one day again. That crazy woman who registered for those events got a stern talking to.

Onwards to battle the erg times

Cheers
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Lesley you deserve huge praise =D> =D>

To pick yourself up after surgery & get back to achieve a day like that ^O^
duffyoz

Post by duffyoz »

Well a year has gone so quickly and we have just done this event for 2022. QIRC, Sunday 5th June. Rule change means only allowed to enter 4 events plus relay. A Bradbury win in the 2k, only person in it. Another 4 gold but for this time of year the times are more the point.

2k 7.49.1
1min 302m
500m 1.44.6
100m 19.7

No PBs but all good. Quite tired and sore the next day. The in real life aspect of racing is great. The relays get put together on the day. Unfortunately for us, one of the guys slipped of the seat and we literally picked him up under the same and pushed the seat back under his but. Quite funny. All in the right spirit.

Onwards
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

This is an amazing multi-year thread. Your efforts are really epic, I enjoyed reading all of them years later!!