Overtraining

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Overtraining

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Where to start? After spending the summer following the original 2k training program I switched to some of the Pete Plan sessions in early October but now the wheels seem to have come off and it's only 2 weeks to go to the Scottish Championships. Every session over the summer I was pushing it but with 1 day on 1 day off there was plenty of time to recover. From October I picked 4 of the PP interval sessions and typically rowed 5 days a week (3 days on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off etc). The times, listed below, were great and faster than last year. The IRL 1mile (1609 m) on 22nd Oct was also faster at 1:42.3 and felt good. Everything was on track.

But recently my legs have felt heavy, holding a rating of 30+ is impossible over 2k and I've dreaded the thought of rowing, especially 2k time trials where my times have been relatively terrible. All the training times suggest I should be faster but I've only managed 1:44 pace, well below last year's 1.42.6.

Not sure what to do for the best. My current idea is to take 3 or 4 days complete rest then, day 1 30m gentle UT2, day 2 2k repeating for 8 days then taper. That gives me 4 2k sessions where I can build pace and get used to the middle 1,000m. Suggestions welcomed because I'd like to be able put in a decent performance at SRIC.

4x2k = 1:46.2
5x1.5k = 1:45.5
4x1k = 1.42.4
8x500m = 1: 38.3
Also 10x500m 1mr = 1:40.7
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Overtraining

Post by plummy »

I have struggled for a long time but having dropped my mileage down and my pace dropped off I can't justify it as just over-training, more just lack of will to push on or through. I usually row Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday so mostly on one day's rest. On occasion, life gets in the way and I have two days rest and it does make a difference in the feeling of being "recovered" though I think at 4 I'd start to feel very sluggish.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

I'm definitely no expert but my experience is that downturns could be a few different things. You may well be right that it's overtraining but if somethings knocked you off then it might be 'under recovery' (to draw a slightly tenuous distinction between the two). You could have picked up a mild virus that you'd have barely noticed if not training hard or general life stress might have affected your day to day recovery.

My take on it would be that as long as you can keep your sleep, nutrition & hydration good, you shouldn't loose too much actual fitness in the month between the IRC mile & the SIRC. Your very top end is bound to decline a bit but your IRL mile is a good indication that you've built a good strong base & that should stay with you. If you frame the challenge as how to get to the SIRC in the best shape possible (rather than how to recover your form in the next 2 weeks), I'd probably target rest with higher paced sessions at a pace that you can definitely complete without going too deep. If things aren't improving, I'd drop the 30m UT2 as that could be extra workload but without adding significant benefit in the time available.

That's just my take on it though. I claim no expertise in this area so that could be terrible advice !! Me cheering you should be worth a couple of seconds at least ... :wink:
MaxMacLaren1
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Thanks Dave and Guy, much appreciated. Last night I was reading about over-training on the web and came across over-reaching which I hadn't heard of. It sounds exactly like the 'under recovery' Guy mentions and is the stage before over-training. The bit I really liked is that with a proper rest you can come back stronger! I certainly hope so :fssmile:
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm