Devon Indoor Rowing Championships 2019

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Devon Indoor Rowing Championships 2019

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Dave, I can't let you get away with a passing reference to the Devon championships in the "What training have I done today" thread. So here is your very own thread...

The Devon Indoor Championship's is this Saturday, 14th September (for non Brits Devon is a county in the south west of England). The event is organised by Fitness Matters and it's one of the few races that offers a 5k.

https://fmrowing.com/devon-indoor-rowing-championships/

Good luck, hope your arm holds out and great to see you keeping the Free Spirits flag flying. A full race report would be fantastic :fssmile: :fssmile: :fssmile:.
plummy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 am After a week pretty much crocked with bicep tendon strain I've had a couple of goes at 5k's in the last 2 days as I've decided to attend the Devon Indoor Rowing Champs on Saturday (mainly to tie in with a visit to my ex-neighbours). Wednesday, still not using my arms I managed an uncomfortable 21:08 (uncomfortable trying not to bend my arms at all) but last night I had more movement so pushed harder and managed 20:16.0 (SB is 19:54.9). My bicep didn't hurt too much but my lungs weren't happy at all and there were 2 x small back-offs in there.
Only targeting around 20 minutes but sub 19:54 would be an awesome result
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Devon Indoor Rowing Championships 2019

Post by plummy »

Not sure my effort is deserving of a thread of its own - but thank you Max (now I'll HAVE to row - grrrr ;-) )
I've also just learned that they are being live streamed on Youtube after 9:45am UK time! This might be the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgHaG87 ... WPW2exIWIo

I'm on at 12:00 the agenda suggests

There is a raffle to win a brand new ergo as well - fingers crossed
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
MaxMacLaren1
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Well done =D> =D> =D>. Looks like your arm was ok. 3rd place in 19:57.0 so comfortably under 20 mins, although that might not be the first word that springs to mind!

20190916_121410.jpg
20190916_121410.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Well done, Dave! =D>
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I was about to post a link to the results...aaah - in fact, here it is anyway:

https://fmrowing.com/wp-content/uploads ... Sheet1.pdf

It's a good little event this and needs a bit more support or it will die like so many others have. It's only real downfall is is changing after as there is only one tiny shower room - with only one tiny shower in it.

My race started "ok" (relative term) and I went out holding about 1:58 pace thinking if I can hold that then sprint a bit then happy days for an SB but alas like so many other races/time trials in the last 12 months I just run out of lungs and heartrate so I end up having to back off. Again I had to back off twice and never really "recovered by breath" in those interludes so the last 2k was pretty horrible for a very average 19:57.0 (2.2s quicker would have been an SB by 0.1s). Still, seeing as I retired from racing in Feb and have reduced my metres a lot and was a bit crocked it wasn't a complete disaster. (didn't win the erg in the raffle though - ;-( )

Some of the other races were good including a very close 1k between 4 guys only a second or so apart and there was a new 80+ world record set at 20:10.7 (was 20:11.1 I think) - that was pretty mighty! (the chap was 84!)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky