- listened to the dietitians and had slow carbs a few hours earlier and fast-release just as I starter the row
- made sure I was hydrated to avoid too much blood thickening and increased heart rate
- programmed in two virtual rowers in RowPro - one just ahead of my target pace and one to make sure I didn't drop too far off
- paced myself with my heart monitor which was connected to my Garmin watch using Bluetooth and my PM5 through ANT+
- listen to thumping music which has been shown to improve physical performance
- EDIT - I forgot to mention the performance enhancing properties of Plummy's headbands!
I'm not a good rower, far from it, but I wonder how much worse I would be without all of this to support me.
P.S. My behaviour with RowPro is hysterical. I genuinely put in a burst at around 20 minutes to 'psych out' my opponent pace boat! It's a programme for goodness sake! And then with 4 minutes to go I started to wonder what to do to increase the chances of making sure I didn't beat myself next time I row this event - should I put in a burst now, because I may forget I did that in a few weeks and get demoralised at this point. I need to get a grip!