Noobie

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

TAFKADaz
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Noobie

Post by TAFKADaz »

Hi All,
I have decided to head on over to this forum after purchasing my C2 D PM5, I have joined the C2 main forum but over a week ago and no admin has approved my posts so all I can do is read.

One thing I am really looking for is a start point.
I keep reading various things re watts and stroke etc.and am getting a little concerned I am underperforming or have my technique completely off.
A little about me
6ft2 41 year old guy.
No real exercise for many years and trying to break the habit.
18 stone so a rather large beer belly im afraid
Having said that when I decided to try to get fitter and healthier about 7 weeks ago I was 19 stone so have lost a stone in that time by watching what I eat, and a bit of mountain biking, treadmill and floor excercises crunches, plank, pushups etc.

Ok so now where am I on my erg.

I have played with various things and am currently using rowpro this enabled me to create a training plan and I have started working through that last night.
The first 2 weeks are purley training (technique)
Low strokes 18 - 22 with a 2k total distance.
I managed to control the stroke and feel I was doing it well, even got my daughter to watch me, my back does tend to round forward a bit on the recovery just before I go back into the catch, I think this is my belly hitting my thighs and stopping me getting the 1 oclock start position.
My main concern is I have been reading the other forum and all are saying even complete noobs should be able to do a 2k in under 7 mins,i am closer to 10 mins.
Is there a clear guide on what I should realistically be pulling in wattage per stroke, I am trying to keep stroke rate down and get the technique right before racing ahead, im not out to become a record holder just want to loose weight become fitter and more importantly ensure I am doing it right.
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks In Advance
Darren
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Noobie

Post by plummy »

Welcome Darren and thank you for coming over to Free Spirits. A quick reply for now (as I'm at work currently).
Complete noobs being able to go sub 7 is complete nonsense - so let's put that one to bed. There are people here who have rowed for years and never managed it (it took me 3 years of trying and training).
(one for later - 18~22 is a very low stroke rate for a fast 2k. You should be nearer 30 or even higher - but worry about that in the future)

From a quick read of your post your approach is a good one - get the technique sorted and don't push too much too soon. The weight loss will help the times and endurance and in turn they will help the weight loss.

I would say: don't judge yourself by anyone else's standard - judge yourself by yourself last week/last month. If YOU are getting faster/fitter/lighter then you are doing the right things right.

Where are you based?

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Rob C
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Rob C »

Firstly welcome to Free Spirits :) And even better congrats on your purchase of the C2.

I think there is a phrase of "no pain no gain", but pain is also your body's way of warning you that you might be overdoing something. So listen to what your body is saying, especially if you haven't done much exercise for a long while. Take baby steps and gradually build up.

Ignore what others say about expected pace / speed. Too many bragging rights. Find your pace, and once you get the hang of it you will gradually improve. Rome wasn't built in a day. A 2k in 7 minutes is out of reach for many many experienced rowers. If you don't believe that, have a look at Concept 2 logbooks, that will show you the averages for age groups.

You are right to initially concentrate on technique. Pace, duration, etc will come later. Some of Concept's own tutorial videos are great at showing what you should be aiming for. Many phones can take video so get your daughter to take some shots so you can see how you compare.

If you aren't doing it already, use rowpro, or the C2 monitor with a USB stick and start logging those meters. Even your initial workouts will add up and that becomes quite satisfying over time to see how you are progressing. Upload your workouts to the concept 2 logbook and you'll get more incentives to see how you are doing against fellow Free Spirits.

For motivation ideas, many have tried the Pete Plan (there's another thread for that in this forum) which allows you to start from couch potato and gradually measure progress with a variety of workouts.

If you haven't done it already, make sure you have the latest firmware (software) on your PM5. Early versions have proved very temperamental, but it's a lot more stable now. A heart rate monitor can also be good to monitor your effort and keep you to realistic limits.

Oh and yes that big belly does get in the way of a nice stroke. One day mine might be less of an obstruction too.
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Welcome Darren.

You sound like me when I first joined FreeSpirits about 7 years ago now. My first 2k was about 8:45 at r30 but practice makes perfect. I am 6foot3 and about 18 stone now but do a lot of weights as well.

Sub7 will take time for the 2k but I am sure it will come for you, just keep following a plan and try to up the meters as you progress because meters make you faster like any sport. :) keep up the good work and I hope to see more of you posting on different threads.

Jason.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Hi Darren

Like the guys have said already do not get hung up on performance issues.

Erging or indoor rowings is a great way to tone the whole body as it uses more muscles than just about any other aerobic exercise.

When I started on the erg properly at the back end of 2007 I was over 17 stone and At 5ft 10 ins I am pretty short for a rower :oops: :lol:

Within 6 months by also watching my alcohol and food intake I was down below 14 stone and I have stayed there ever since.

Just get comfortable with rowing maybe 20 mins a day but try for say 5 sessions a week if you can.

Gradually build up the distance and you will notice the difference in your shape and how you feel.

All the best and welcome to the best team in the world :fsbgrin:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
TAFKADaz
Warming up

Post by TAFKADaz »

Thanks all for the response, nice seeing I actually got on the forum the same day.

All logging is currently done in rowpro so keeping tabs I have setup 2 users me and my daughter so we both get to see where we are and how we are doing.

I am going at the low pace to try to ensure my form is as good as it can be, and to hopefully get a good clean powerful stroke.

I am also doing a second training set of medium weight just as a bit of strength training so hopefully nice steady achievable results will come my way.
Am I able to transfer my logs from row pro to my concept 2 logbook?
I have the garmin heart rate monitor so all is good there.
Hopefully I will keep loosing the pounds and get better (I am not out to be a marathon winner, I just really enjoy doing this).
What if any short term goals should I set maybe do a 2k or 1k on the same settings each week to see how I improve?
Again thanks in advance for the warm welcome and responses
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Hi Darren
TAFKADaz wrote:One thing I am really looking for is a start point. [...] 6ft2 41 year old guy. No real exercise for many years and trying to break the habit. [...] My main concern is I have been reading the other forum and all are saying even complete noobs should be able to do a 2k in under 7 mins, i am closer to 10 mins. [...] Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks for joining Free Spirits and welcome onboard! I find it very cool, when a new member write something detailed things about themself. :fsbgrin:

Please, please [-o< , take your time and don't rush or start to compare yourself with others or try to fulfill this stupid "sub7-braging". ^O^ Working firstly on good technique and build up some aerobic baseline fitness is key to success. This is what you started with and that's very good! =D> =D> You just need some patience ^O^ as it takes some month for your body to "settle down" (means: your body needs time get used to everything, time to build up mitochondria, you nervous system needs time to get adapted and so on) and there's no shortcut. :idea: :fswink:

Again, welcome onboard. :fsbgrin:
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Darren

Welcome to Free Spirits. As others have said, you seem to be going about things the right way and you should just concentrate on getting your technique right and on developing the habit of erging regularly. Weight loss and faster times will follow automatically if you do this.

As for the 'anyone can do sub 7 after a couple of weeks training' brigade, that may be true if you're a professional rugby player in your mid 20s (and even then, I wouldn't be all that sure about it), but it's certainly something that most of us mere mortals had to struggle (or are still struggling) to achieve.

Look forward to hearing regular updates of your progress. Your idea of doing a set distance once a week and using that to measure how you're getting on is a good way of approaching it. But don't get too hung up on seeing progress EVERY week. As long as the general trend is in the right direction, that's all that matters.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
TAFKADaz
Warming up

Post by TAFKADaz »

plummy wrote:Welcome Darren and thank you for coming over to Free Spirits. A quick reply for now (as I'm at work currently).
Complete noobs being able to go sub 7 is complete nonsense - so let's put that one to bed. There are people here who have rowed for years and never managed it (it took me 3 years of trying and training).
(one for later - 18~22 is a very low stroke rate for a fast 2k. You should be nearer 30 or even higher - but worry about that in the future)

From a quick read of your post your approach is a good one - get the technique sorted and don't push too much too soon. The weight loss will help the times and endurance and in turn they will help the weight loss.

I would say: don't judge yourself by anyone else's standard - judge yourself by yourself last week/last month. If YOU are getting faster/fitter/lighter then you are doing the right things right.

Where are you based?

Plummy
Based in Birmingham West Midlands
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

RowPro times can be entered to your Concept 2 logbook. Not sure exactly how (I have yet to try RowPro) but it must be an online process since the C2 log directly links to your workout.

I'd suggest that you don't fixate on expecting weekly improvements measured by a specific distance. Variety is king. Maybe check yourself once a fortnight or so against a specific trial, but in the meantime think first of your technique, and then look to a bit more stamina. Mix things up sometimes aiming just to row for maybe a few more minutes, sometimes looking at a series of intervals with shorter distances with rest periods between. This is where things like the Pete Plan might help with regular trial rows, interspersed with development workouts.

Don't forget to do some stretches too. Gaining some flexibility is important.
plummy

Post by plummy »

Transferring you Rowpro row metres to the C2 Logbook:

Go into your Rowing Log on Rowpro, select the row you wish to upload by clicking the line once (clicking twice generates a report - which is nice but not what you are looking for here). Right click and select "Upload to C2" from the pop up menu. From there it's automatic (takes a few seconds to complete and should say "uploaded 1 of 1"
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

I don't have much to add right now but welcome, Darren! :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Hi Darren,

Welcome to Free Spirits! I'm glad you joined and I think you will find the environment on this forum to be significantly more productive and helpful than what you see elsewhere. We have lots of members with vastly differing amounts of training background and very different goals. The common thread is a mild to severe obsession with erging, and a desire to share questions and experiences with other members.

As for a sub-7 2K. I don't who the hell can do that in a couple weeks. It is a significant milestone for most male rowers and simply out of reach for many who are not favored by physiology. Even for very good age group athletes. Among 40-49 male open weight rowers, a 7 minute 2K is about at the 90th percentile of all ranked pieces. I went at with hammer and tongs, and it took me from November of 2009 until August of 2010 to get my first sub-7 2K. I'm sure a better athlete could do it better than I could, but I think it is pure bull being served up on other boards. Bragging by people with bigger mouths than lungs.

As for the gut. Learn to spread your knees a bit at the catch, you'll get a longer reach and go faster with about the same effort. It will take care of itself over the first 6 months. Over the same 10 months that it took me to get to sub-7, I lost 30 pounds. And unlike the other times I've lost weight, this time, it has mostly stayed off.

Again, welcome. Let us know if you need any help
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
TAFKADaz
Warming up

Post by TAFKADaz »

Hi all got the row pro to concept 2 logbook working so all good will be back on the rower tonight following its training plan for me all about the technique again. Did some basic workout off machine last night lunges,squats crunches etc and well and truly feel it today but all is good and very motivated. Oh and I also added free spirit to my training partner in my concept logbook just waiting for "confirmation by training partner" overall looking forward to getting to know the concept2 and this group a little more over the upcoming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

I think the training partner bit is outdated. At least no one accepted me for a year (I think I've since deleted it) yet it didn't affect my stuff appearing on the meterboard.
TAFKADaz
Warming up

Post by TAFKADaz »

Ok so tonight I followed the row pro training again 2k of slow controlled low power strokes even did some without the straps.

I then decided to do the 30 min workout as I was nicely warmed up, I managed 6014m in that.
I then did a cooldown and some stretching and had dinner.
After dinner did a 7k easy going bike ride (outdoors not stationary) when I came back daughter was just finishing her workout so decided for some fun to have a good powerful stroke at the 500m, first 300m I was pulling 300 watts and average 500m time of 139, after that I lost steam and dropped the power finishing at a 1:50.4.
Either way it was good fun and really enjoyed it.
Just finished the routine cool down and stretches and now waiting my turn in the shower.
Oh and usual crunches and basic floor exercises
Tomorrow I will use rower as part of my cardio workout and do a nice steady 20 mins purely for a good nice even heart rate then its 30 mins of floor work again.
danfennell
Free Spirit

Post by danfennell »

Welcome Darren. I purchased my C2 in September 2013. Close to 5 million meters later I'm still learning and improving and the FS forum has a lot to do with it. There's lots of great ideas and advice to be had here.

My path started with the aforementioned Pete Plan - Beginner version. The thing I liked most was that it took a lot of the guess work out of training at a time when everything was new and confusing. Pete does a great job of explaining the workouts and giving advice on pacing, stroke rate, intensity, etc. As the weeks progress you build upon previous workouts so it also allows you to easily track your improvement.

As far as reaching goals/benchmarks like a 7 minute 2k go, they are definitely good to have but no 2 people will reach them in the same amount of time. If you train hard (and smart) you will surely improve your times and fitness. Like anything, you get out of the process what you put in to it. When you see times that make your jaw drop rest assured a lot of meters and intense training sessions have been logged.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Dan | Age:48 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 93kg