Crazy Bear Challenge

If you start a thread here, this is a commitment to maintain it (including a closing date if you require) and curate any entries.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Crazy Bear Challenge

Post by plummy »

Just finished #20 and I can't say it was a pleasant HM. Felt like hard work from 5k in. I may be hitting the buffers a bit like Barbara - but as I'm on holiday for the next two days I'll rest tomorrow (things to do anyway) and pootle one on Friday as I won't have any time constraints making me rush it.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Paul Victory wrote:
gregsmith01748 wrote:I think 2 slow QMs in a day versus 1 slow HM would be easier to recover from.
I think it has to be done as a continuous piece, but I don't think there's any problem with taking drink breaks etc. so that's what I'd recommend if (and it's a big IF) you decide to keep going.

Paul V
Oh, I didn't realize just how crazy the bear was! Sorry for the bad advice. :oops:
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Thanks for the sane responses Paul, Alan, Jill, Plummy, Greg.

I suppose that none of us, myself included, is likely to talk sense into a person who A) participates in challenges with the word "crazy" in them and B) has logged 497,036 meters in 21 days and only has 147,679 meters to go. :roll: Yes, each CB is 21,097 painfully consecutive meters. And when I have other pieces to do, such as at the lake, those don't count.

#24 -- up at 4:20 Wed morning to log it on RowPro before work. Problem with RowPro being "race brain." Wherein any plan for recovery pacing goes out the window the moment other people begin rowing around you. In this case John N paced me to the second, so we took a gradual uphill hike along a thirteen mile precipice #-o :lol: That one was fun - 1:33:27.8 at an overall 2:12.9.

#25 -- same night -- a day break -- #26 -- a day break -- and #27 today -- those last three rowed to movies.

And here is the sane part: I have purposely rowed this year's challenge much slower on average. The idea being to avoid the overtraining I experienced a year ago.

Observations on Resting Heart Rate: I've only tracked it since Nov 10 - when the fitbit charge showed up in time to start the challenge. Not knowing my heart rate behavior, I couldn't tell if the upswing was disturbing or normal.

I got more sleep. And drank more water. And guess what, RHR has dropped slowly back down to one beat above the previous low. Lesson learned, maybe :D

Now with three left, really I just want to be done in time to enjoy my upcoming days off!

We'll see how it goes. Appreciate the concern and advice. They really do help.

Peggy -- as you are doing CB for the first time -- curious how it's going? Body parts holding up OK? You've gone along very consistently and quietly so I just want to say -- congratulations and well done so far!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Thanks, Barbara! Only two more to go!!!

I'm holding up okay. No major aches and pains. The damper has slowly moved lower and lower, to protect my back. I live in the mountains at 7200 feet elevation, and my breathing muscles were the first ones to complain about the long rows, so staying at low intensities seemed like the best strategy. And now I've completed my Solstice to Solstice triple (run,ride,row) streak, so now I just have my regular morning run... and a couple more afternoon rows to worry about.

The biggest problem I had with this challenge, was needing more rest days. I'd only done 4 HMs before: one in March 2014, two in March 2015, and one last June, so doing all these HMs in so short a time has been very tiring. And I've rowed more avg meters per day during some of the monthly challenges, but I usually break up the time into 30-60min pieces. A short break allows for checking things cooking in the oven, getting packages off the doorstep, changing DVDs, feeding the cat... bathroom breaks! For the HMs, I have to stop eating and drinking two hours before hand, line up my entertainment, etc, complete with checklists and contingency plans. I've even managed to answer the front door, while counting aloud to make sure I didn't spend over two minutes away from the erg. I would have been soooo upset if the PM had turned off! Anyway, it's gotten a little weird at times.

Also, I pretty quickly wore out my seat pad. Then I started using the 1/2" dense foam tiles that I had under my yoga mat. Every few HMs I move on to the next tile. I'm sure my cat won't mind if I put the used tiles under her bed, even with deep sitz bone dents worn into them. I'll get new tiles for under the yoga mat :wink:

All in all, I'm very very glad that it's almost done. I'm currently reading "The Martian" and I expect I'll finish it part way into the last row. But it's okay, because I know I'll have a Stargate SG-1 episode set up and ready to go. Because there is NO WAY counting strokes will get me through a HM. Just one of many things I've learned from this experience :lol:

Major respect for everyone who is doing these rows. I can't imagine trying to do this volume at the speeds I see posted on FB. Amazing! =D> ^O^

Peggy
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Hats off to both you ladies for doing this challenge. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

I had planned to do a few more HMs after BRIC, but have only managed one to bring my total to 5. I think one a week is about my limit - any more than that and everything starts to go. I've actually had four attempts to do a HM since the last one I completed on December 14th, but each time I've only made it to around the 2/3rds mark. Three of them were set up as 'just rows' with no firm commitment on my part to complete the HM, but a back of the mind target to keep going until I ran out of steam and see could I get past the HM distance before stopping. They other was an ill advised SB attempt where everything fell apart after doing the first 8k at PB pace and I wasn't even able to limp home as my back starting acting up.

So I can only imagine how difficult it must be to do five a week (or thereabouts) for six consecutive weeks. Major, major kudos to you both and also to plummy for getting so close to completing the challenge, despite all the problems he's had along the way. I had been thinking of joining in next year (as opposed to 'affiliate' membership), but I'm not sure I would have the mental strength to see it through to the finish.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

I have to add my applause to that of Paul's. The ladies have shown the men up big time this year with Peggy, Barbara and Christine all on the verge of completing all 30 in the allotted time frame.

It needs to be stated that for some, a HM is almost a lifetime ambition on the erg and FM's are a bridge too far for most. Huge respect is due for anyone rowing 4~5~6 of these a week! Not only from the point of view of the physical demands but also the time it takes to set up, row, shower/change and put away etc (plus recover).

I've done 23 having initially targeted 20 so I'm quite happy with the result. I thought my total of 22 would be it as I started with a head cold on Sunday night/Monday morning but didn't slide into anything too bad so I managed a slow, controlled extra one yesterday. Tomorrow's should be #24 and my last for this season.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I see on FaceBook that Christine has just done number 29. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ Congratulations milady and don't forget to come on here and tell us all about it when you've finished number 30 tomorrow (or is that later today?).
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I've more or less done one a week throughout this challenge, so I felt I should do one more before it finishes. wasn't really in form for it, so decided to do it as a rate capped piece, which would allow me to focus on something that I knew I could control.

Classic positive split, with my splits approaching 2:12 towards the end, but I managed to finish in just under 90 minutes, with average HR of 128 and max HR of 133. To be honest, I found this a lot harder to finish than some of the quicker ones I did earlier on, but at least I saw it through.

I see that Barbara has done 2 today to complete all 30. Chapeau madame! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Paul V
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Thanks Paul. And kudos on fitting in HMs with other training, race prep, gold medals, etc :fsbgrin:

Glad you exceeded your goal for the season, Plummy! =D>

Peggy - I can't even imagine doing these at 7200 feet. Along with everything else you accomplish. That's awesome. ^O^

For my #28, work was calming down Monday, so I arranged an extended lunch. I started at a 2:15 pace. At 1000 meters in, that reckless thing kicked in and I took it down to the low 2:00s. Watched the projected time move to sub 90 and decided it would stay there. In the end it was a PB by 48 seconds over last year.

12/21/15 21,097m 1:29:39.2 2:07.4

So now I was left with how to finish #s 29 and 30. Felt fully "done" with HMs. I had noticed a 6 am Xmas Full Marathon on RowPro, and this morning was my first day off work. Got up at 5:30 to see if I might grab a spot. And...

12/23/15 42,195m 3:21:55.2 2:23.5

I don't think I've encountered anything in my life quite like this distance? Even hiking Half Dome in Yosemite, which I've done twice, is only 14 miles roundtrip. I was actually terrified at the start, my heart pounding. It took me 10,000 meters just to calm down. I'd parked a bottle of water and the only snack I had handy - a box of salted dark chocolate caramels (don't ask) - next to the erg.

Two movies later - with stops only to adjust the movie - and quick stand up breaks at 15km to go, 10 km to go, and 5km to go - and it was done. I can assure you that the last 2k of that 42,195m was my favorite 2k of all time.

Hot shower, crawled back in bed... wondered if I'd walk again. :lol: Jack, who is my idea of a superhero, made me breakfast. A couple hours later we headed north to a town called Solvang to wander among the holiday shoppers, lights, Christmas music, a farmers market. All in all a wonderful day.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
JonT

Post by JonT »

All you Crazy Bears are amazing.

Great way to finish off Barbara - A Crazy Bear PB and then a FM to follow. Merry Christmas!!

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy

Post by plummy »

Amazing achievement Barbara - you can wear your Crazy Bear hat/colours/T-Shirt with pride. Add to that some Nonathlon points for the FM and more $'s for charity in the Holiday Challenge it sounds like a great result all round.

=D> =D> ^O^ ^O^
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Very well done Barbara, Christine, Peggy and Dave
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Fantastic going Barbara. I presume from the description that this was the first time you'd done an FM. That makes your performance even more amazing. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

I hope you have a great (and very well deserved) break over Christmas.

Paul V
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Wow, Barbara, both HM #28 and the FM that followed are amazing! Congrats! =D> =D> I hope you thoroughly enjoy your Christmas!

I got through #30 today. I took a pretty conservative approach to the whole challenge, since it seemed impossible that I could really complete 30 HMs between Nov 13 (when I started) and Dec. 24th. My slowest was 2:00:45 (Nov 20th, my first time doing two days in a row) and my fastest was 1:50:41 (Nov 28th, after four rest days) which is a PB for me. My average time was in the middle of that, 1:55:18, which generally kept my HR in UT2. The hardest part was recovering enough to row again the next day.

But I finished them all, which was surprising, to say the least. And I actually feel okay. :D Though I think I'll take a few days off from rowing... :wink:

Great challenge! Thank you all, Free Spirits, for being such an inspiration! ^O^

Peggy
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Congratulations Peggy and Merry Christmas! Amazing determined nation and perseverance. ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

Take the rest of the year off! You've earned it.

Paul V
plummy

Post by plummy »

Huge well done to the ladies (especially) and gents who've tackled all (or even just a few) of these.
If the final tally is correct, 795 HM's were rowed (last year's total was 697) from 49 participants from all of the world and many different teams. The total distance covered - a staggering 16,772,115m

(For me, I'm happy with my last (#24) attempt yesterday on very trashed legs after my CTC attempt the day before ( 1:28:36.8 @ 25spm ). Although not the full 30, I'll take it as a fair effort)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
kevinscott
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kevinscott »

Hello dudes ! can someone post here the facebook link for this challenge please ?
Many thanks
kevinscott
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kevinscott »

Hello all.. cannot find back the facebook link .. anyone can post it here please ?
plummy

Post by plummy »

All sorted by Facebook :-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

In about a month, Crazy Bear 2017 will be upon us and I'm happy to keep it on the same thread as previous years.

I'm not sure how many Free Spirits intend to take part this year but often the ladies come out and show the guys how it's done. It's mostly Facebook driven and that is where the majority of the activity will be but if there are any Free Spirits taking part you are obviously more than welcome to post any results (good or bad) or thoughts and input here.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Juergie
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

Would you please be so kind and post the link to the sheet as soon as it is available (donˋt have a facebook account)? Thanks!
plummy

Post by plummy »

Will do Juergie. I think they are looking at a website as well this year!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Juergie
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

Ok, the challenge is online. And I finally have a facebook account. Here is the link to the spreadsheet:

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... kSIRyx_a4k

Don't feel up to the challenge right now, but still a few days to get ready :lol:
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Bumping this one up, 3 down -27 to go :oops:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy

Post by plummy »

2 more than me - but then again, I'm only joining in after the 25th so will likely only manage 10 or so.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"