English Indoor Rowing Championships (EIRC) 29th March 2015.

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: English Indoor Rowing Championships (EIRC) 29th March 20

Post by Recess »

Haha, yes - it's going to be a close call trying to get up to speed in time for it, but body at least seems to be holding up enough to let me try. Currently hopeful, well, a heck of a lot more than previous posts anyway! but the event, and meeting other Free Spirits will be fantastic, regardless of how I hold up on the day.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Recess

Post by Recess »

Ooo! Thanks for posting Dave. You're two ergs down from me! Got to say though, I'm even more excited about who's net to me. I don't think I've ever met another Steventon who wasn't in my family!!

Less excited about the 13:20 start. What to do about eating / keeping to weight / not dropping energy?

So four Free Spirits taking part then?

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
plummy

Post by plummy »

Yeah - thinks that's it. Still, we'll have support from at least one other and there will be three I've never met (yourself included).

When you've finished your race feel free to come over and cox me through the last 50 seconds on my personal painfest.

I'm going to spell this out here as I don't want unnecessary internal pressure. This is 99% likely to be my last race (below 2.5km) and I have done next to no training for it as a) I hate it and b) I'm just not a sprinter.

I missed the last two EIRC events owing to having a cold in 2013 and 2014 was only a week after the million so I'm only "racing" to support the team, the sport and to have a bit of a swansong. Seriously, I expect my time to be around 7:30.0 (my SB this season is 7:21.4 and last year 7:20.0) - anything close to that would be a miracle.
What I'm basically saying is that there tends to be a race pace "expectation" once you've a bit of history racing so please - ignore that and concentrate all your support towards John and the Burrells
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Recess wrote :- Ooo! Thanks for posting Dave. You're two ergs down from me! Got to say though, I'm even more excited about who's net to me. I don't think I've ever met another Steventon who wasn't in my family!!
Hi John, Richard Steventon is in mine and Paul's age group and last year was the fastest 60 + on the planet in 6:28.2, he's got that in him this weekend too-he's an amazingly powerful athlete -you Steventons eh ? :lol:

Have a great row and all the best to all Free Spirts :D
Plummy wrote:- What I'm basically saying is that there tends to be a race pace "expectation" once you've a bit of history racing so please - ignore that and concentrate all your support towards John and the Burrells
No problem Dave, whatever you do is OK by me :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Recess

Post by Recess »

Out of interest Dave, where did you get the schedule from? I can't see anything on the website, and I didn't receive an email from them. Just worried there's other info I'm missing out on because I'm looking in the wrong place!

John

plummy

Post by plummy »

It was released on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

Found this with a quick dig around:

http://www.eirc.org.uk/
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

I had a look at the schedule and it appears we have four Free Spirits taking part, as follows:

3 10:10:00
Gillian Burrell Womens 70+ Lwt 3 Free Spirits
4 10:30:00
Roger Burrell Mens 70+ Lwt 26 Free Spirits
16 13:20:00
DAVID PLUMB Mens 50-59 Lwt 27 Free Spirits
John Steventon Mens 40-49 Lwt 29 Free Spirits

Is that correct, or have I missed anybody? Wish I could be there to cheer you on. Will there be any online coverage?

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I guess I should also include Stan Nwaka who is taking part in the Mens 50-59 Hwt in race 6 at 11:10 a.m., but is representing Taff Attack.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

I just saw that the clocks go forward that morning - I hadn't realised that so pretty glad I spotted it
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Recess

Post by Recess »

plummy wrote:It was released on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

I keep on going back to that website, but it's still just a holding 'advert' page for the event, rather than containing info on Sunday. Got a letter through the post yesterday confirming things though, which is nice. It does, however, say my race is on the 30th December, 1899.

Anyone got a Delorean spare?

As to the clocks, it helps with the eating thing a bit to lose an hour, or at least, that's how I'm looking at it.

John

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:
plummy wrote:It was released on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

I keep on going back to that website, but it's still just a holding 'advert' page for the event, rather than containing info on Sunday. Got a letter through the post yesterday confirming things though, which is nice. It does, however, say my race is on the 30th December, 1899.

Anyone got a Delorean spare?

As to the clocks, it helps with the eating thing a bit to lose an hour, or at least, that's how I'm looking at it.

John
I think you're looking at the wrong link, John. I got the information on competitors here from plummy's earlier post http://eirc.org.uk/includes/eirc_competitors_2015.pdf

Good luck on Sunday. I hope you're sufficiently recovered by then to put in a performance that you feel happy with.

Paul V
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

plummy wrote:I just saw that the clocks go forward that morning - I hadn't realised that so pretty glad I spotted it
Yes, I also spotted it. Not so good for my "reversed fear of flying" - that is, fear of not being there on time when the plane leaves. There shouldn´t be any strikes or something, at least not in Denmark or what I have heard of (Scandinavian Airlines System). Only thing - on the way home I´m on an Airbus A320 - I have absolutely no problem with that - but I don´t know about the crew :?: :-k :-k

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
plummy

Post by plummy »

I thought you'd decided not to come over Erik??
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Liefcat wrote:Can´t find the actual time for the start of the event so decided not to enter a 2k race at EIRC. But will be delighted to see a lot of you racing there :!: :fswink:
plummy wrote:I thought you'd decided not to come over Erik??
I think I decided to "come over". It´s just that I ordered my fly tickets many months ago not knowing exactly when the hour of the races I would be interested in. The organizers were very unwilling to mention any plausible times for the various races, so I took a decision not to be actually competing - and must say this suited me more than it probably should have, as my erging shape is rather poor and has been for the past 6 months - and I feel a lot more motivated to get out on my bike in the Spring.

But then again - my decision to come over is not 100% written in stone. In the beginning of March there were a couple of strikes meaning a lot of cancelled flights, but that seems to be solved by now. And then there was that terrible crash, and heard of stories of crew not wanting to be on the airplanes, be that of the specific company or the specific type of airplane. "Luckily" (no offense intended) it now seems clear that it was a human factor that made the airplane crash. My flight home is on the Airbus A320, but personally that counts for me as one of safest airplanes there is... Anyways, what I´m trying to say is that if there is a lot of confusion or doubt about the actual flights flying more or less according to schedule, I think I will decide to stay at home... But right now it looks as if the conditions are just fine.

So I´m landing Sunday 9.35am in Manchester, I have booked one night in downtown Manchester, and leave again Monday at 7.25pm. I´m expecting to be most of the Sunday at the Velodrome hoping to meet a lot of Free Spirits and other ergers "known" from Facebook, and maybe hoping a pint or two will be a nice way to end a good day... :D :D

plummy

Post by plummy »

That's great to hear Erik. I will be there from around 9:00 to watch as much as I can and will have an FS T-Shirt on. I usually try and find a spot on the tiered seating for viewing (the temporary stuff on the race floor, not the main velodrome seating as we can't use that (plus it's too far away to see anything).
I'm trying to guess what a taxi would cost from the airport and I would think about £20.00 (it's a pretty straight run and there should be very little traffic).
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Recess

Post by Recess »

I'll be on the look out for you too Dave. I'll probably be in my FS hoodie, so hopefully we'll be able to locate each other, and be an easier spot when Erik arrives.

John

Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Good luck for Sunday everyone. We're at the N.E.C. that day, otherwise the Underwoods would have been there to cheer you on. :fssmile:

Jill :)
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanks, Dave, I´m sure I can find you in the crowd :!: :D Well, maybe you as well, John... :wink:

I think I might try if I can take the train/metro first - before I might turn to the taxi... :)

This is how I look like (next to Dirk):
Attachments
Dirk & Erik.jpg
Dirk & Erik.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 2277 times

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

So how did you all get on? I haven't been able to find any results online.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hey folks!!!

So, you'll have to hunt for their times, as I can only remember mine.

Gillian Burrell - Silver
David Plumb - Bronze
Me - Silver (6:46.2)

After injuries during and post crash-b I was hopeful I'd do better, but not surprised that it ended a fustercluck. It wasn't the injuries, it was the engine. Just not enough race pace training. The guy won my event did it .4 slower than my PB - so technically, I had a chance.

However, I have every ounce of energy I had in me, and just could hold 1:40 splits, let alone sub 1:40.

So, I'm happy that I gave it all - there were no excuses. Took about 30 mins before I could pick myself up off the floor for a shower... Thankfully, I don't have to do another one of these for a while!

John

Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Congratulations to all Free Spirits competing - very impressive results
Felton H
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Congratulations Gillian, David and John. Medallists all! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ Any word on how Roger did?
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Very well done Gillian, Dave and John =D> =D> =D>

Did Erik manage to make it as well as a spectator only I assume ?

I can not see any results either Paul

Oh by the way Dave :-
strider 77 wrote:- No problem Dave, whatever you do is OK by me :wink:
If it means you win a medal at a major championship I am going to say this more often mate :lol:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy

Post by plummy »

ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 30 09.09.jpg
ScreenHunter_13 Mar. 30 09.09.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
There's a picture above of the shiny reward for turning up and having a go (an utterly unexpected Bronze medal). I've stated on FB that I kind "lucked" into it and had no idea I'm come third until 30~40 minutes after my race finished when I wandered over just to see what the winning times were. The look of astonishment on my face must have been a picture!

My race plan was to make an attempt to beat my 2014 SB of 7:20 flat (SB this year is even slower at 7:21.4) so I gave the cox/scrutineer my target pace and told him to watch my stroke rate as it tends to drop with all the low rate stuff I do. That meant holding 1:50 but I did say if I struggled that I'd be happy with 1:52.5 for a 7:30.0 finish.

As it turned out I held my concentration, form (I think) and pace all the way until 1:50.2 average showed up at which point I thought "I might beat it after all". I held back any push until <400 to go and then wound it up as best I could. I don't recall upping the SPM much (maybe to 35~36) but just drove harder and harder finishing with 1:43's

So 7:17.6 finish. Nothing spectacular but given that it was really tough but not needing to lie down at the end there was maybe a handful of seconds there if my life depended on it - and I'm happy with that.

Met up with Roger Burrell (Gillian was already ready to race) and their family as well as Erik and John (Recess) who gave it absolutely 100% and was most definitely a broken man at the end of his race. Had a great day out and "watched" (although they really have to try and come up with a better spectator view) plenty of great racing.

Apart from the "view" my only gripe is the acoustics which are bloody awful. There was a guy with a mic but I couldn't hear/understand a word he said so it didn't help when you can only see through a crowd of people.

I dropped Erik at his hotel in Manchester and I hope he's having a nice day today wandering in the sun (Yes - the sun!!) seeing the sights before his flight back tonight.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"