Half Marathon - Wed. 12th Feb before lunch

If you are planning a RowPro session or want to get one going, post here.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Half Marathon - Wed. 12th Feb before lunch

Post by Recess »

Hey folks.

I'm going to attempt my first half-marathon tomorrow. I've got the day off to research my book, so of course, I'll spend some of it on the C2!

My intention is to do it around the 2:00/500m pace, just so I get to the end. Then depending on how I feel this time round, the next time I do one, I'll aim to go faster.

I've set up a row-pro session in case anyone wishes to join me. Tomorrow (Wednesday) 12th Feb at 12:00PM. Just so I can work up an appetite for lunch!

Feel free to join in, I'll be there regardless...

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Half Marathon - Wed. 12th Feb before lunch

Post by Paul Victory »

Good luck tomorrow John.

Based on your 10k time, you should be comfortable enough at 2:00 pace. But don't underestimate the impact of the extra distance and be prepared to slow down if necessary.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

I hear ya! I decided I'd do the whole 14k Valentine challenge yesterday - and although I started happily at 1:56, I slowed down to 1:59 by the end due to the fact I've been doing <5000 distances recently. Hence the sensible approach tomorrow!

I'll let you know how I get on.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Recess

Post by Recess »

01:23:46.7

Slowed four times for a drink, pretty sure I could have got to 1:23:00

Especially as the last 600 were done at 1:45!

Looking forward to the next time.

John

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Well done John. =D> =D> =D> Almost a full second inside your target pace. Must be worth quite a few nonathlon points!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks Paul. Yes, I got 899 for it, which is nice!

I'm having a 'bit of an issue' during the transition between sitting and standing right now though!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Added info - Done at 26spm with a drag factor of 180. Heat rate crept from 135 to 157 throughout the course of the effort. I'd post the breakdown, but there's lots of splits in there, and I don't want to bore folks with it.

I can't believe I'm now working out when I can attempt a FM. I might see if I can wangle a sponsored thing at work for Sport Relief.

Thanks for the encouragement.
John

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:Done at 26spm with a drag factor of 180. Heat rate crept from 135 to 157 throughout the course of the effort.
That's a very high DF for a HM. Have you tried rowing at lower DF, as I think you would probably be able to go even faster if you were to row at the recommended 130 or thereabouts?

The relatively low HR at the end of the session is also very impressive. It shows you were rowing well within your capabilities (either that, or you have a HR similar to a Tour de France cyclist).
Recess

Post by Recess »

I tend to avoid the lower DF's as I don't feel as effective - but I'll try a 10k at the weekend on 130, see how I get on. I might surprise myself!

But I think it might tie in with the heart rate thing, I'm happier pulling harder at lower cadences (same with cycling, I tend to always use low cadence and a hard gear) - instead of going fast and letting the cardio side of my body do it instead of muscles (if that makes sense?!?)

I figure I'm pretty fit though, my resting HR when i wake up is around 27, and when I'm sitting at the desk at work, around 32/33. Not that that's a definitive guide to fitness, but I guess my heart's either really effecient, or really broken!

John

GrantR
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by GrantR »

When doctors check your HR do they freak out? :)
Recess

Post by Recess »

Haha, not yet. TBH though, it tends to be mid-40's if I go to the doctors, as I'm there either a) Because I'm not well, or b) For a check up for insurance policies or something, and I'm nervous about why he's just put on gloves!!

Just checked, I'm 36hr at the moment. Too much coffee...

What's everyone else's? (Scratch that, I'll post a question in the main training forum...)

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:I figure I'm pretty fit though, my resting HR when i wake up is around 27, and when I'm sitting at the desk at work, around 32/33. Not that that's a definitive guide to fitness, but I guess my heart's either really effecient, or really broken!

John
Wow! That is a really low heart rate! I found the following quote on a medical website:

For a human aged 18 or more years, a normal resting heart rate can be anything between 60 and 100 beats per minute. Usually the healthier or fitter you are, the lower your rate. A competitive athlete may have a resting heart rate as low as 40 beats per minute.

Champion cyclist, Miguel Indurain once had a resting heart rate of 29 beats per minute (bpm).

So your resting HR is 2 bpm lower than a multiple Tour de France winner. :shock: No wonder you're so fast!
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Paul, the lowest HR has been measured for some ceratin freedivers (apnea)… with about 6-7 (six to seven) bpm. :shock: