Starting again

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Den-J
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Starting again

Post by Den-J »

Hi folks its time for me to come back after a 7 month break, its been a stressful time as my mother has developed dementia and it has become impossible for my wife and I to look after her, we both work and at first it was not to bad bad but now as soon as she is left alone she leaves the house and tries to go home , unfortunately the home she remembers was demolished in the 1960s. We have had to place her in a care home fortunately its only a 3 min walk from my house so we can see her every day and things are beginning to settle down now.
So its time to think a little more about my own health my fitness level is the worst its been in 20 years so don't expect much at first but I can at least contribute a few metres to the team and hopefully get back to some sort of decent standard over the next 6 months or so ...its good to be back:-)
Age 55 LW Started rowing 26 Sep 08
*Set 2010
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Re: Starting again

Post by Stan »

Den, sorry to here about your mother. This seems to be a tragic illness that we hear more and more about these days. Having said that, its good to hear from you and I look forward to seeing your progress. Good luck
pb times
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Welcome back Den. Sorry to hear that your personal circumstances have been stressful and worrisome such that rowing has had to take a back seat for a while. Good to hear you are on the comeback trail - take it easy to start, you know the drill!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

yep and my pb / sb cabinet needs a shake up :lol: I know how much you enjoyed rummaging around in there.
pb times
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Den, those are very rough times. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. (I just lost a mother-in-law to Alzheimer's after a 2-year battle, and I know it can be very trying.)

Hopefully, getting back on the rower will help manage your stress and build up resilience to all Life throws your way.

Wishing you the best,
zoot
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I joined Free Spirits after a very tough time in my life, when I was about 15kg heavier than I am now. Being fit makes a real difference - just take it slowly, don't look at your old times. Welcome back and good luck.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days