OTW results

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: OTW results

Post by strider77 »

Very well done Sander and Romano =D> =D>
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by sander »

Euromasters 2014

Last Saturday was Euromasters 2014. For those who are interested, here's a write up of my Single 1x Masters B race.

My race was at 11:04 and I would be able to pick up my rented Filippi single 40 minutes before that. So at 9:30 I took a last handful of raisins, then did a leisurely run along the canal to the start, so I could witness how the races were started.

From pontoons. With a very long wait between "Attention" and "Go". Starts every 4 minutes, with a catamaran following the races.

Did a few 100m sprints, then jogged back to the tent.

By 10:15 I picked up my bow number and dropped my bag at the baggage drop. Then I walked over to Filippi to get my boat.

A brand new mid weight (75kg) racing single. Nice.

The only caveat with the new Filippis is that you need a wrench to move the footboard. So I had to estimate by eye if it was at the right position, then try out on the water, and maybe return to adjust it.

Now if that happened, I would suddenly have very little time to get to the start.

I launched. Tried out catch and finish position.

Everything seemed to be amazingly familiar. So off I went, 15 minutes to the start of my race.

As with most Masters races, all races are "finals" and the draw determines whom you compete with. There were 8 finals in the Masters B 1x category, so there would be eight European Champions ...

I had one kilometer to get used to the boat, but as I mentioned there was no issue whatsoever. There was no way I would be able to do a start practice as there were too many boats around and I didn't have time to row up to the 2km mark.

Turned the boat and saw my opponent Petr Mitas nervously awaiting the start. He was the favourite for my race. He had rowed 10 seconds faster than I a week ago at the Czech Nationals. I was some kind of underdog ... ;-) Petr remarked that I had a new boat, so I explained to him that I had decided to rent instead of cartopping.

The Race

Lane 1: Germany - Jena
Lane 2: Italy - Varese
Lane 3: Czech Republic - Brno (that's me, Dutchman rowing under the Czech flag)
Lane 4: The Netherlands - The Hague (Petr Mitas, a Czech rowing under the Dutch flag)
Lane 5: Italy - Bardolino
Lane 6: Germany - Leverkusen

We prepared into the starting positions. I like the fixed pontoon starts. No hassle with trying to align the boats. Just relax. There was no wind, but still I nervously looked around and checked if I was 100% aligned with my lane.

2 minutes to the start ...

1 minute ...

Attention!

I watched the starter. He didn't even have his flag raised.

Bird sang.

I swallowed, then took a deep breath.

Go!

Off we went. I did a good start but was in the pack, with Mitas taking half a boat length in the first 5 strokes.

Damn. Would this be another race with 5 people competing for second place? Could I beat any of these big guys with their body-builder physiques?

But there was something great about this race. Just as in the mixed double at the Czech Nationals, I managed to relax, ignore the competitors and row on technique. My love for this anonymous Filippi single deepened with every good stroke that I delivered. Everything felt surprisingly easy. I had no idea about stroke rate, as the boat didn't have a holder for the Strokecoach, but I think I was doing 33-34spm. My legs felt great, but I knew it was just a question of time before the lactic acid would start to flow, and I mentally prepared for those difficult 30 strokes in the middle of the race.

At the 750m mark Mitas was leading by a length, and I was in second place perhaps by a meter or so. Lane 1 and lane 5 were close, and nobody was falling behind too far.

We reached the 500m mark without my legs really starting to hurt. So I added a little pressure and a miracle happened. I started to push away from the field. In 10 strokes or so, there was more than a boat length of light between me and the rest of the field. Mind you, Mitas was still leading, but I had him next to me and without looking I knew he was not more than a boat length away.

He was probably controlling the race.

Still, I wanted to prepare a surprise to him.

The grandstands in Munich are more than 250m long, so when I saw it in my peripheral vision, I started to rate up brutally.

I moved up to half a length behind Mitas when he reacted.

Now my legs were hurting big time but I kept going. There is always hope. He could have a bad stroke and flip. At least he would have to work for his medal.

Mitas reacted. He managed to increase the gap back to a boat length.

With 10 strokes to go I had trouble keeping up the rate but was trying very hard.

In the end Mitas won by 3 seconds but I was a very happy second place. Crossed the finish line, gave Mitas a thumbs up and waited for the rest of the race to finish.

Somehow in my exhaustion I got the idea that Filippi wanted me to return the boat as soon as possible, so instead of rowing a cooling down and enjoying my anonymous single for a few more minutes, I immediately paddled to the dock.

I was still breathing hard when I returned the boat, and actually had to sit on the ground for a few minutes.

Romana, Lenka, and Brno friends came over to congratulate me with a good race. :-D

Then I walked over to the results board to check my time. This is what I saw (my race was #7):

Very happy with a 3:42 in windless conditions!! Even more happy to be second and just three seconds behind Mitas. And mixed feelings about some of the other "finals" that - on time - I would have won. :-D :-D :S ;-) :-D

After the race I had a chat with Mitas, who claims the times recorded are BS, because on Friday he had rowed a 3:38 which he claims he did at 90%, while in our race he had to work hard and just managed a 3:39. He claims his girlfriend clocked 1:40 for our first 500m.

I will stick to the official times though. Happy enough with a 3:42.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Great row Sander and great write up. =D> =D> =D>
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Fantastic row and write up Sander-very well done =D> ^O^
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Excellent racing, Sander! 3:42 is wonderful. Congratulations. I really enjoyed your descriptions of the event, before during & after! Rowing that well first time out in an unknown boat must be a great feeling.

Thanks very much for sharing your race!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

For those of you who want to get an impression in 3 minutes, here's the short video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWeUx742dW0[/youtube]

The Donauhort rowing club from Vienna sent us an invitation for what looked like a fun head race in the middle of Vienna, a 6km race for singles down a canal with a flow of 5km/h!

So I cartopped my single and drove down to Vienna. We arrived at the location very early, but were promptly welcomed by a friendly lady from the organization. I prepared the boat:

Something looked strange with my oarlocks. They looked displaced. So some measuring and correcting followed:

I don't know what has happened here.

Then we headed to a cafe for some coffee and Sacher torte. After that we chilled for two hours at Donauhort rowing club:

All the while we were inspecting both the Danube river and the Donaukanal race track. After the heavy rains in South Germany and Austria over the past 2 weeks, they looked more like a white water rafting venue than a scullers racing venue. I am only slightly exaggerating here.

The weather: 30 degrees.
The wind: Strong headwind.

At half past 2, the start area was bustling. About 50 crazy single scullers were about to launch. We had to wait until a big ship had passed the lock, then we were called to launch in order of start number. We passed the time chatting about rowing. Really a great atmosphere.

Starts were in intervals of 30 seconds at a pre-start in quiet water, 200m before the real start.

5-4-3-2-1 go. Off I went.

After ten strokes it felt as if I bumped into a log. I was transitioning from the quiet water in the lock to the fast flowing water in the Donaukanal.

When you're out there on such water and you're not used to it, you don't really notice your speed relative to the bank. What you notice is that there are whirls and waves and wind gusts which are constantly throwing you out of balance. The boat was swinging left and right and at one point the flow almost threw me into the left bank. I was making full use of my little mirror, but also checking over my shoulder now and then.

I was doing 28spm and very early I overtook two scullers before me.

Then I passed another sculler.

After 3km I passed a flipped boat, the rower struggling to get his gear safely to the bank. I was starting to get really tired by then and the headwind now had turned into a full head-on wind. It felt like I was rowing in place.

I was definitely to heavy rigged for these circumstances. Well, another 3km, just trying to survive. This was not about good rowing. Each stroke was different. Sometimes there was more pressure on the left blade, sometimes on the right one, sometimes my blade seemed to get sucked under water ...

I passed another flipped boat. (I later heard that 4 boats flipped, out of 50 at the start.)

I think I passed 5 rowers in total, but perhaps there were just four. The guy behind me got me on the finish line.

In the finish area there was a very good atmosphere, with drinks and wild water kayakking demonstrations, as well as a place to shower (with cold water and ladies and gents mixed, only shielded from the general public by flapping plastic curtains). So when we were done preparing the single on the car, I had a beer and a shower, and we enjoyed watching the kayak event.

Race graph from the Garmin:

Don't look at the crazy 1:30-1:40 pace (in headwind!). This was all due to the current.

Code: Select all

|Start|Stop_|Dist_|Time_|_Pace__|avg HR|max HR|Remarks
|00000|00087|00087|00:28|02:40.9| 151  | 167  |warming up
|00087|00276|00189|00:32|01:24.7| 175  | 178  |pre-start to start
|00276|06293|06017|19:35|01:37.6| 183  | 186  |race
|06293|06470|00177|01:12|03:23.4| 163  | 178  |cooling down
I don't really know how well I fared compared to the others. We drove home before the winner's award ceremony and I didn't find any results on-line yet.

That's it. No races for me until October!

gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

That sure is a lot of red! And it sounds like a very challenging course.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

What an interesting race, Sander. Great photos and the collage with video in the middle is really cool. Quite an experience... and thank you for the quick virtual visit to Vienna. :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Today I raced the Textile River regatta in Lowell, Massachusetts. It is a 5.8km head race on the Merrimack River.

Let's start with results.

9th out of 16 on raw time and 10th on handicapped time. So, I guess you'd say I'm at the back of the middle of the pack. But, in terms of my objectives, it's a different story.

Last year, I was beaten by a couple of guys from Lake Quinsigmond by a pretty small margin (Baker and Guida). This year I beat them by 33 seconds and over a minute. Last year, I was 18% slower than the winner. This year, 12.8%. Last year I was 17 seconds per 500 slower than the winner on raw pace. This year, 9.7 seconds.

Did I want to do even better...of course. Have I improved over the past year...you bet!

Now, if you are interested in details, here they come.

Knowing how things work at a regatta is key to having a good experience. Today, I got there early, but not too early. Launched early, but not too early. Warmed up well and was in a very good frame of mind at the start. The regatta staff added a new launch site, which was awesome. It was about 1/3 of the way from the finish to the start. The other launch site was actually about 500m downstream from the finish, so you have to row about 7000m to get to the warm up area above the start. This mid point launch site meant that I had rowed less than 5000m by the time I started the race and felt a whole lot more relaxed and fresh.

The launch area was also not crowded at all, so the staff was helpful friendly and relaxed. I complimented them highly. A very nice high school kid even came and offered to carry my oars off the dock for me. I tell you, it was red carpet treatment all the way.

The conditions were a bit challenging. It was sunny, but chilly, around 48F. But by the time I finished warming up, I was down to just rowing in a tee shirt. There was a 15-25km/h west wind. This was a significant tail wind for about 2/3 of the course and a sheltered cross wind for 1/3 of the course. At the end of any east/west chunks of the river, there was significant chop and confused waves that certainly caused me some issues. As I get better, I think I would probably raise my oarlocks a bit in conditions like this. As it was, I just sort of cycled through the process of getting messier and rating up, and then catching myself, slowing down the rate and cleaning up.

We got ourselves sorted into the chute for the start and when Bow #21 was called, I started up. I hit the line at r26 and a 2:09 split showing on the speedcoach. Nice. The water was smooth here and I was pretty happy. Behind me, Bow #22 dropped back rapidly, but Bow #25 was surging toward me. This formed the theme of the first half of the race. I pushed harder than I should have to try to stay ahead of him, but he steered a much better course than I did and, frankly, could row faster too. By the mid point, he passed me. Just as this was happening, I was passing Bow #15, so I didn't feel all that bad about it.

Once that was done, I noticed with some horror that my heart rate was already at or above 175. I decided that it would be wise to pull back a smidge from the edge of disaster and I did, maintaining a pace that kept my HR between 175 and 177. That's the Rojabo difference. Before I did a month and a half of Rojabo, I would never in a million years been able to do that. I ended up rowing the last half of the race in my Anaerobic zone. I guess Rojabo trains Lactate tolerance pretty effectively.

As I passed the turn into the last 1500m, I could really start to feel the chop. I just lined up for the 3rd arch of the bridge and rowed. After I passed through it, I knew there was about 1000m to go. I counted out 25 strokes for each minute and looked over my shoulder for any signs of the finish. Finally, after the third set of 25, I could see the finish markers and it was only then that I was sure I wasn't about to implode.

Start__|_Dist__|_Split__|_Pace___|_Strks__|_Rate_|_DPS_|_AvgHR_|_Remarks
00714_|_5858_|_26:01_|_2:13.2_|_665___|_25.6_|_08.8_|_175___|_race

500m splits
00714_|_0501_|_02:11_|_2:10.5_|_059___|_27.1_|_08.5_|_164___|_
01215_|_0500_|_02:11_|_2:10.9_|_057___|_26.1_|_08.8_|_169___|_
01715_|_0500_|_02:11_|_2:11.0_|_057___|_26.1_|_08.8_|_172___|_
02215_|_0498_|_02:12_|_2:12.8_|_056___|_25.4_|_08.9_|_174___|_
02713_|_0504_|_02:15_|_2:13.6_|_057___|_25.4_|_08.8_|_175___|_
03217_|_0497_|_02:12_|_2:13.1_|_056___|_25.4_|_08.9_|_176___|_
03714_|_0504_|_02:15_|_2:13.6_|_056___|_24.9_|_09.0_|_177___|_
04218_|_0495_|_02:14_|_2:15.1_|_056___|_25.1_|_08.8_|_177___|_
04713_|_0502_|_02:15_|_2:14.2_|_056___|_24.9_|_09.0_|_177___|_
05215_|_0502_|_02:16_|_2:15.5_|_058___|_25.6_|_08.7_|_179___|_
05717_|_0498_|_02:15_|_2:15.1_|_056___|_25.0_|_08.9_|_180___|_
06215_|_0357_|_01:35_|_2:13.5_|_041___|_25.8_|_08.7_|_181___|_

I used the speedecoach only during the race, because I wanted to get the stroke by stroke data and there's only 1500 strokes of memory. I used the CrewNerd app to log the whole outing.

Gotta love the effect of rowing downstream on a GPS derived pace. CrewNerd has the average pace at 2:09 for the race, 4 seconds faster than the impeller driven speedcoach.

I steered a pretty bad line, which is actually a good thing. I think I rowed an extra 50 meters or so because of it. Here's my track on a map.

The start is on the left, right after the solid line starts. The line for the race is the line closest to the south bank of the river the whole way. You can see I drifted to the south bank to much before going into the first big turn. The second turn I did pretty well, but allowed myself to drift to far north coming out of it and needed to correct too sharply. The worst mistake was not cutting back to the north soon enough entering the final straight and swinging way toward the south bank of the river. I'm happy about the line I took from there, though. I was tucked up next to the bouy line on the north side of the course all the way down to finish where the water was the best and the distance the shortest. If I want to get serious, I will have to row this course a couple of times before the race next year and memorize specific points for steering different sections of the course.
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Great report Greg and great rowing. Congratulations! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Great result and brilliant report Greg, next year you will be even further up the list I am certain of that =D>
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

strider77 wrote:Great result and brilliant report Greg, next year you will be even further up the list I am certain of that =D>
It's a bit like indoor rowing. The big improvements happen over the first year, and then it gets harder. I'm hoping to be within 10% of the winner next year, but it will take some work to make that happen.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Nice tracking, Greg. Pretty cool that the Rojabo is having noticeable effects.

What's your fall race sched looking like? Attending HOCR?

Cheers, keep up the great work.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

CamiCrew wrote:Nice tracking, Greg. Pretty cool that the Rojabo is having noticeable effects.

What's your fall race sched looking like? Attending HOCR?

Cheers, keep up the great work.
Re: HOCR...I'll be watching, not racing. I'll enter the draw for next year's race. I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty sure i won't embarrass myself. If I can finish with 10% of the winner, I'd be thrilled.

The only other race I am planning on doing is the Merrimac Chase in early november. I won t he master single event in this race last year and I had a blast. It's a shorter race, around 5K, but it's getting pretty cold by then. It's a good way to finish off the season.
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I raced the Merrimack Chase today and it didn't go as well as the textile. I'm a bit disappointed to finish the season this way.

My start was at 8:33. The conditions were a bit less than ideal. It was 35F and there was a 10-15mph wind from the WNW. This was a head wind for the first mile of the course and then a cross/head wind for the rest of it. There was a nasty chop for a good portion of the race.

I warmed up with Pogies on and then took them off before the start. The start was about 2km down stream from the launch point. Here's the map. The race is run up river and my line for the race is the one closer to the south shore of the river.

I am not satisfied with this race at all. I beat the guys I should beat, and lost to the guys that I should lose to, but my margin over the next guy was a lot smaller than it was for the Textile and it deserved to be. It really was not a good performance.

Here is my litany:

- I am not at all happy about my steering. I was all over the place. I went too close to the south shore before the bridge, and I wandered between both shores towards the end of the race. I think I rowed an extra 100m or so because of my lousy steering.

- I was also not handling the chop and the head wind very well. I was unable to maintain good blade clearance and was whacking the waves pretty badly on recovery.

- I pushed too hard in the head wind and when I got to the flatter water, I had nothing left to really push the pace. I think it was the fatigue that really effected my steering in the last 2000m of the race. I was having trouble keeping a point.

- Last year, I was highly motivated in this race because I had a starting position at the back of my group and I basically passed them all. I was always chasing someone. This year, I closed the gap to the guy in front of me a bit and left the guys behind me in the dust, but there was no one to pass. I think I could have used the extra motivation.

Some of it could be 8 hours spent on a plane yesterday, but most of it is my lack of technical proficiency in the chop. This all comes down to balance. So, I guess a winter spent on the balance ball, and the spring spent doing balance drills in the boat is what needs to happen.

I finished with a time of 22:24, about 30 seconds slower than last year. The guy in second to me was 14 seconds behind. Last year he was a 1:24 behind. At the Textile, I beat him by 1:40. I was definitely off my game.

Oh well. Not every race is going to be great. It was a nice, if chilly, morning for a row.

Here's the speedcoach plots for the race. I started it when I entered the chute and the real start is about 200m in.

Here is a video of the first 15 minutes or so of the race. You can see the chop that got the better of me. I went under the bridge at 5 minutes. By 10 minutes, the water is flatter, but I'm toast already. You can tell by the bobbing of my head. The HR didn't pick up on the TCX data for some reason, but it's borderline anaerobic already and there is about 10 minutes left to go at that point.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKig_7z ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Here is the last 8 minutes. The water gets a bit rougher again, and you can see me wander all over the river. I like the sprint for the last 30 seconds or so!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afCDT4W ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Now, on to rebuilding my aerobic base on the erg toward the CRASH-Bs! That starts tomorrow with lactate testing for my 2.0mmol/l power level.
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

No time and no computer at hand to copy-paste my race report written on the go. Read it here: https://rowsandall.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ce-report/

sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Enjoyed the writeups and photos Sander!

I laughed when you said you caught sight of your reflection. Tired, happy rower man :D

Nice racing!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

I apologize for not taking the time to copy my full blog here. Since I started to work with wordpress.com I have become too lazy to upload pictures to photobucket.

Survived the heat

Spring Races, Women's 2x, Girls 2x, Men 1x final and 8

gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

This Sunday, I was in the Festival Sprints Regatta in Lowell Massachusetts. It was a soggy day. It was pouring rain for my first race and lightened to just sort of normal rain for my second race. Oh, and there was a head wind. Not a lot, but 10km/h or so, coming straight out of the east. This also built up a bit of chop. Since I row on a very sheltered river, these would not be my best conditions.

My first race of the day was the Men's 1X Master E (50-59). There were two flights, I was in the first flight with four other boats. There were 4 boats in the second flight. The race had a floating start. This is done by having everyone line up across the river, and an "aligner" in a boat off to the side announces when there is alignment to the starter who is behind the boats. The starter then says, "Quick Start, Ready, Row" and drops a flag. The sequence went just that fast and I had no time to really panic about the start because I was going before I even really got set. Out of the blocks, I was in lane 5 and the guy in Lane 4 (Floyd) was just ahead of me.

I started to gain on him, but I also started to really struggle with the lactate surge and I eased up a little and stayed a bit to his stern. Right around the 350 mark, I was hit by a massive wake from a launch heading back up to the start outside of lane 6. This was bad enough that I actually missed a couple of strokes and had to get the boat moving again afterwards. At this point, lane 4 was about a boat length ahead of me, and I started to count strokes again. I was really hurting, but I could see that I was reeling in the guy in lane 4 and that kept me focused. I passed him with about 200m to go and continued to push, but I didn't mount much of a sprint. I stopped rowing when I thought I had crossed the finish line. But it was a good second or so until I heard my "Beep", so I stopped short of the end (rookie mistake). I ended up beating the guy by about 4.2 seconds. I was 6.9 seconds behind the guy who won the heat.

I was disappointed at the time, but now that I've had a bit of time to reflect on it, I think it was a pretty good row, and I know there is room for improvement.

Here's a video of the race, if you want to watch some ugly rowing. I get waked at 1:20.

After that, I headed back to the dock, racked my boat, and had a drink out of the rain. My next race was the Men's Open 1X which was scheduled to start in about an hour. I didn't bother trying to get dry, since I would just be getting wet again. Luckily, it was pretty warm, so I didn't get particularly chilled.

I launched about 25 minutes before the start and did a quick warmup and a couple of starts and then headed to the line for the 2K. This was 1K further upstream than the start of the 1K so they shared the same finish line. This was a full heat. 6 boats across. I was in lane 3. The guys in lanes 1 and 6 are both really legit. Lane 6 was Sean Wolf, who finished 4th in the Head of the Charles 40-49s. Lane 1 was a guy named Lev from the Cambridge boat club who finished 6th in the master doubles at the Head of the Charles. In Lane 4 was a wild card. A college kid who rows for UMass Lowell and looked HUGE. But this was his first race in a single. I figured the three of them would be back at the dock by the time I finished. The other three of us looked far more mortal. The guy in lane 2 is from Community Rowing (Nelson) who is in the 40-49s and his time in the 1K was 2 seconds slower than mine but I didn't know that until later. In Lane 5 was a guy from Lawrence (Maldari). I beat Maldari last year in the 2K by 2 seconds.

It was a quick start, but I was more ready this time than in the 1K and off we went. I had a decent start and settled after 5 strokes to about 28 spm. I was rowing even with Lane 2 and lane 5. The other 3 guys had another gear and were not a factor in my race. Even though I was hitting my stroke rate and my pace was horrifically slow due to the head wind, I was really struggling. I tried everything, disciplined breathing, taking 10 strokes for length, relaxing m[youtube][/youtube]y shoulders. No matter what, I felt like I was drowning. I briefly considered just giving up, but noticed that I was ahead of lane 5 and about a length down on lane 2. At about the 700m mark of the race, we pass under the Rourke Bridge. And I am still hanging on. Counting strokes and dealing with the chop. Now I have some open water on Lane 5, and I'm still glued to the back of lane 2 and were going at it stroke for stroke.

I am just trying to hang on now. Desperately wishing for the end. I get to 200 strokes, and I look off to the side and I see the 500m to go marker. Holy crap! I have to last another 60 strokes! This was the low point of the race for me. But I kept on plugging and counted out 40 strokes. In the second 20, I noticed that I was starting to claw back on the Lane 2, and I increased my rate again and pushed as hard as I could. I thought I had another 20 strokes to do, but the finish line ended up only aout 15 strokes away. The 500m marker must have been a bit closer to the end than 500m. I finished just 2 seconds behind Nelson, about half a boat length, and 17 seconds ahead of Maldari.

Here's the video of the 2K, if you want to watch even more ugly rowing. The bridge is cool. That's about 3 minutes into it.

So, my next race is in 3 weeks, so time for a couple hard weeks of training and another taper.

Full race results are here: http://www.merrimackrowing.org/files/fe ... esults.pdf
Last edited by gregsmith01748 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

:fsbgrin:
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

We love watching sweaty guys in the rain ;-)

gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Hey Boris, What did I do wrong? Why didn't the videos work for me?
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

gregsmith01748 wrote:Hey Boris, What did I do wrong? Why didn't the videos work for me?
Hey Greg, to embed a video just include only the id of the youtube video (without pasting the full full url) between both tags.

In your editor windows should look like this:

[youtube]1tj8r7xPSvI[/youtube]
Not like this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tj8r7xPSvI[/youtube]
^O^
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Boris: Thanks for the pro-tip.