Had a bad day? ......... Tell us about it

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Had a bad day? ......... Tell us about it

Post by webberg »

A space to let off steam if you've had a bad day.

This is not confined to a rubbish row or a missed PB.

Thsi is for those days when you wake up and just know that nothing will work.

The car won't start, the train was late but you missed it anyway, it's raining and you have no coat. :cry:

The boss/system is giving you grief. Nobody listens to your small still voice of reason and calm. :x

Your kids are more than usually difficult. :cry:

The travel company are complete to55ers. :roll:

The office politics are just too petty for words but you have to deal with them.

Pour it all out here. You may not get much sympathy but it'll cheer the rest of us up. :twisted:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Don'y know about bad day but having a really couple of boring days. Sitting in a hotel baby sitting a plasma screen which is connected to a laptop for a client.
Sitting around for hours waiting for nothing to go wrong as nothing can go wrong!!!
I currently in Reading getting very bored and yesterday I was in Nottingham getting very bored. The only advantage yesterday was that I was staying in the hotel and got to use there C2 in the gym this morning.
If I drink anymore tea I'll explode!! and why to hotels only ever put out 'bad' food knowing full well I am a very weak man with next to no will power and have to hit the biscuits LARGE :D
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
webberg

Post by webberg »

Being in Reading counts as a bad day. No need to add any more.

Very good curry house in Reading though. It's just behind the John Lewis store in a little alley.

On the book front also try Dan Simmons Endymion. This has a monster character called the Shrike who is basically a walking knife which he uses to arbitrarily vivisect people. Or is it arbitrary?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

The conservatory roof started leaking water in the storms this morning, England got stuffed 2-0 by Croatia, my wife had me ironing while the footie was on, I've had toothache all day and I've just found a 4 inch slug sliming it's way across my brand new kitchen floor - nice!
Ah well, tomorrow's another day they say
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Was going to say, if you think YOU'VE had a bad day, try being in Paul Robinson's shoes tonight.... :oops: (Or even Steve McLaren's :shock: :().

Actually, perhaps Paul Robinson wasn't in his shoes - might explain his excellent clearance into the back of his own net...

England and football - gotta laugh (otherwise you cry.... eh Gazza? :cry: )

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
PSims
True Free Spirit

Readberg

Post by PSims »

Webberg - you were in Reading and didn't stop by?
I work in Reading. Yes it is sh1te!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

webberg

Post by webberg »

Mr Sims, I've been to Reading lots of times. Mainly for the football but other bits as well. We used to live near (not in) Basingstoke and believe me, Reading is like the big metropolis in comparison.

We now live further away so I don't get to go often.

I know the curry house because I was taken there after a Reading - Wolves game some years ago and my mates were all WOlves fans and pi$$ed off because Reading were totally outplayed but beat them 2-1.

My daughter aslo used to do dance competitions there.

I'm in Reading next on Saturday 18th Nov, again for the football. My son supports Reading and I said I'd take him. Not my team though so indifferent as to who wins.

Could you get to Basingstoke easily? Or Newbury?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

.....so at the end of a day full of small niggles & irritations & time stolen from ergo - following on from a night spent up with a coughing child..... :evil:

We're having friends over tonight - the way it works is we feed the kids first - they then go to riot/sleep upstairs - then the adults order in some chinese & have a jolly evening of beer & wine... :D

So I think "wouldn't it be nice to make some jelly& fruit for the kids" :D . Get the jelly mould with the ring insert - mix the jelly, put in the fruit, top up all 2pts, lift it up to put in fridge - whereupon the insert falls out & all the jelly goes over me, the floor, the drawers :shock: - a bit like that big wave scene from the last 'Bond film'...... :wink:

Tidy up kitchen, floor left somewhat sticky, but never mind..... then discover that jelly is starting to set on me & my jeans & my boots..... raspberry & strawberry flavour..... :shock: :shock:

..and the others haven't even arrived yet......

This could get messy.....

*edit*
Total for evening :

Cat bought in live mouse just as I was dishing up for kids - I caught mouse in hubby's christening mug to deposit over fence into next door.
One kid sick
One kid 'had accident' on rug.........

I'm going to bed now....
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Now back from the USA (no meters there) but the journey out qualifies as a bad day or two

Get up at 0400, pack and drive to Heathrow from Cornwall
Nearly run out of petrol
Get on plane to Chicago but we sit for 90 mins as a small plane has entered air space and the RAF are scrambled
We then take off - 9 hours later we do a couple of loops of Lake Michigan and get diverted to Detroit as Chicago closed - bad weather.
Sit at gate with plans changing all the time until BA decide that they have done enough flying for the dayso we get off.
Wait fro immigartion who have all gone home
Wait for baggage handlers who have all gone home
Find "interesting " hotel at airport whose main feature in the bedrooms are huge jacuzzis - yes in the bedroom not the bathroom and in every bedroom too!
Spend the whole of the next day at Detroit airport before boarding a plane that gets us to Chicago hotel 45.5 hours after I left Cornwall
Highlight at Detroit was a chance remark to a Californian behind us in the security queue that we had spent longer in Detroit than we would have wished.
Her reply " Honey nobody wants to spend a long time in Detroit"

Back on the erg tommorrow and rack up the milllion for the season in the next few days
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
BigWaveDave

Post by BigWaveDave »

There I was happy with my weight loss over the past months down from 17st 10lbs to 13st 13lbs last Saturday and then we decide to get some new scales that also show body mass, hydration levels amongst other things (it probably does inside leg measurement too if I could work it out)

The wife thinks the old scales were not giving a true reading, although comments regularly on my weight loss, so is looking forward to her new weight. As it turns out there is very little difference in the weight on each set of scales.

My turn to try out the new scales, firstly jump on the old ones in the same place as normal to get a reading, 14st dead - not unexpected as it is evening rather than my usual morning weigh in. Get on the new scales and I've put on 1st 6lb in 5 seconds :shock: :evil: :shock: :evil: it reads 15st 6lbs - how the hell ****************.

OK I accept that the old scales might be a bit out but I am now even further away from my target weight and assuming the weight loss has been correct I started at over 19st.

I HATE SCALES

rant over
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
plummy

Post by plummy »

Took delivery of my brand new model E at lunchtime.

No space to set it up as the old one is kinda in the way and the missus has highjacked the "rowing room" to let one of the kids she minds have a nap (as he has a stinking cold).

Work gets manic so a late finish

Wife has a stinker of a cold so I have to help with the evening's supermarket shop (fair enough until I had to pay????).

Found time to take Model C to parents house to make space but got caught up in a family crisis!

Got home so late that my Model E is still sat in it's nice box teasing me for another 18 hours before I'll get a chance to play!!!

Poo!
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
plummy

Post by plummy »

Just had a troublesome back tooth extracted and the anasthetic is wearing off, and it won't stop bleeding. :x

Not allowed any strenuous excercise today - yeh! like I feel like rowing just now

AAAAAAAAAARRGGGGHHHH!!! :cry: :cry:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

I hate when that happens (SNL reference)

Are you permitted single malt?
plummy

Post by plummy »

No single malts on the allowed list - (I'm teetotal anyway so they wouldn't get on my radar). I'm not allowed to smoke (but I don't do that either), no "strenuous excercise" so my only vice is removed - cripes I lead a boring life - I've nothing to give up!!! :shock:
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Was the tooth pain really that bad? WAS IT WORTH ALL THIS?
webberg

Post by webberg »

Plummy how did you manage to get a toothache with no vices?

Try some Bongela or there is a homeopathic version as well.

Alternatively some Cortisol toothpaste might help.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
jainser

Post by jainser »

What to Doctors know anyway, sod 'em - jump on the rower for a while then crack open a cold one

Kind regards
Doc Shrek :D
plummy

Post by plummy »

Havn't been able to chew on one side for about 8 weeks. Been to the dentist around 6 times (drill, pack & re-fill) + antibiotics. Can't eat much hot stuff or ice cream and at one point breathing cool air through my mouth hurt

I think it had to go :(
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Dr. Shrek!

You are guilty of malfiescence and malpractice!.......

When are you office hours?
jainser

Post by jainser »

Not really a bad day for me but it will be for others

Reet is away so being the lazy kept man I am for dinner I've had a tin of baked beans (cold with vingear & salad cream...hmmmm) and 3 hard bolied eggs and it will all be washed down with a few cold ones.........

I'm gonna be farting for England
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

Physician, heal thyself!
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Donkey, from Shrek 1 wrote:Phew, Shrek! Did you do that? Man, you gotta warn somebody before you do something like that. I had my mouth open and everythin'!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Sorry to hear about your dental pain Plummy - try a couple of neurofen (ibuprofen) - they should dull the pain a fair amount. Had the same problem myself a couple of years ago - had to have root canal work done - not nice. Oddly enough I went to the dentist myself today - just a routine checkup and everything was fine.
pb times
jainser

Post by jainser »

Argh just remembered this thread............perfect

Bloody phone hasn't stopped ringing all day at work - and I still have a couple of hours to go...... :(

Problem after bloddy problem :x

I am not a happy chappy and I can't even make myself feel better by eating a kilo of chocolate as I'm on a bloody diet

hmmm another apple maybe............bloody phone.....bloody apples.........
ptruz
True Free Spirit

Post by ptruz »

eat some chocolate.....row more.......something less than a kilo