ACL and Donjoy knee braces

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

ACL and Donjoy knee braces

Post by Thomas W-P »

Not sure where this belongs but this is stood as any. I know I'm not the ONLY person here with no anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

I ski and had a very old (20 years) £400 knee brace that I replaced last year with a Donjoy version . It was a disaster, causing terrible rubbing, blisters and pain. The stability was amazing though. I'd bought it from Welbeck pharmacy in London. Their care and attention when fitting was exemplary and the rubbing was unexpected.

Over a year after buying it (and rather embarrassed) I contacted Welbeck. They replied with concern and a convenient appointment within 15 minutes. I went in and we spent some time discussing the problem. They spoke to Donjoy who suggested an neoprene undergarment. This arrived free of charge the next day together with some extra padding.

The change was amazing, still great hold but no rubbing. But one of the straps was now a little short. I spoke to Donjoy myself and the guy on the other end seemed genuinely concerned and interested "we're aware that everyone's leg has different geometry" and a longer strap is on the way.

Am I mad or is this sort of excellent customer service dying out?

(I'm regretting not wearing it in the first time and sorting out all out before I went skiing.)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: ACL and Donjoy knee braces

Post by webberg »

Thomas, I have an ACL, but just one between two knees.

I have used a Donjoy brace for many years and this year bought another one for the left knee.

Expensive but very much worth it.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

"Am I mad or is this sort of excellent customer service dying out? "

Yes, probably. Is the depressing answer.
Good story though.
I used to wear one, but gave it up several years ago (two ACL ops on left knee). either foolhardy or safe in the knowledge that the pin and screws will hold this time :lol:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

My missing ACL is on my right knee. I did it 24 years ago. I am 90% sure I could ski without the brace but that 10% is very persuasive. I would be very very upset if I damaged my knee without wearing a brace. I looked in to ACL ops, but have to say that the photos and stories were very offputting. My knee is fine for everyday life so a brace is a better option than all that nasty looking cutting and slicing.
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

sorry if i am being a bit thick but how do you lose an ACL? i hear a lot about ACLs as there are always a few footy players (rugby league to you) who 'do an ACL' each season usually in a tackle. i'd assumed this meant they'd torn it and they have an op to repair it and then 6 months later or so, voila they're back on the field running around as usual. so do they take them out then? Can you row normally without one? does it hurt?

Genuinely interested, and hoping i never have any personal experience with it like you guys.

oh and BTW that does indeed sound like amazing customer service!
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I lost mine on the ski slopes 20 years ago. Very cold and didn't warm up. Pop. I heard the snapping sound. Ow. At the time replacement was hit and miss and I'm fine in normal life. Replacement is routine now but not worth the pain for me.
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

ouch! learn something new every day...
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Thomas W-P wrote:I lost mine on the ski slopes 20 years ago. Very cold and didn't warm up. Pop. I heard the snapping sound. Ow. At the time replacement was hit and miss and I'm fine in normal life. Replacement is routine now but not worth the pain for me.
Can you still hear the sound?
When I had my compound tib/fib playing rugby, the one thing I still shudder at is the "rifle shot" of the bones snapping. That was 1999
Nice :lol:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

No, I can't hear the sound so much but I can feel the judder in my knee as it happened. Hard to explain. The pain afterwards was pretty impressive too.
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

I'm two months late but just saw this. Like you, Thomas, I have no ACL in (on?) the right knee. Tore it playing basketball and the MRI revealed that it is completely gone. Like you as well, I have opted not to have the surgery. I returned to basketball after some erging and rehab always wearing a fairly simple and cheap brace. One game, feeling fully recovered, I decided not to even bring the brace with me. As luck would have it that game we were very short in both players and height and I was needed at forward instead of my usual guard position. Trying to fight for rebounds blocking out much larger men proved to be too much and I dislocated my knee again. Ouch. And again ouch. Wear the brace when you go skiing no matter how strong you feel. [-X
54 years old probably around 77kg.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

The operation for an ACL these days is pretty straightforward.

I did mine in 1985 (first time). Had "open" surgery in 1990, carbon fibre replacement, 4 months in a cast and perhaps a year of physio. That was quite painful for a few weeks and the physio was long but worth it.

1991 August did a Land's End to John O'Groats cycle. Then started distance running.

In 2004, noticed some pain from the knee. Had it checked and the carbon fibre had gone. Late '04 has the carbon fibre and plugs removed. Spring '05 had new ligament fitted - courtesy of left knee.

I was on my feet within 24 hours and pain free within a week. Physio was much quicker, perhaps 4 months to full function.

There are still some things I can't do such as kneel or play any sport that requires twists and turns. (This is why I row and cycle). I do though ski and use a brace that I've had for 8 years now and it has moulded itself to me over that time so I don't have the issues Thomas mentioned.

So for all you people out there with no ACL but who still want to play sport - get to hospital and get it fixed.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

But I can kneel and play squash and ski... I just need the brace for the sport. I just don't fancy the operation, since I'd probably keep wearing the brace anyway...