Olympic experiences

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Olympic experiences

Post by Scoop »

A daft thing happened on Wednesday morning. Mrs Scoop was listening to Radio Lincs when the presenter, who was eulogizing about the Olympics said "... and you can just visit the Olympic village even if you haven't got tickets to the events. Big screens everywhere so why not go down and be a part of the action."

She suddenly had a 24 carat notion and went and booked Awayday Saver train tickets for her and the kids for today."

What the BBC presenter hadn't mentioned is that you need tickets to visit the Olympic village and that there are non available for weeks. She was almost in tears when I got home - she'd even phoned Radio Lincs to tell them what she thought.

It seemed like the Olympic experience would pass the family by. But I did a trawl of the events and discovered that the Mens Swimming Marathon 10000m was happening today in Hyde Park. The finish line is grandstand and tickets but not even Seb Coe can close Hyde Park to the great unwashed. So she made a picnic and took Hannah and Thomas to Hyde Park today and they've had a brilliant time. Thousands of people cheering. Oussama Mellouli from Tunisia won with a brilliant pace setting swim and Britain's Daniel Fogg was 5th only 40 seconds behind =D> Tom said he would have wanted to be Benjamin Schulte from Guam who came in last almost 10 minutes behind the second last "Because he had his own personal canoe following him."

Afterwards they went to the new Bomber Command memorial, Buckingham Palace, Chinatown and Camden market. I've never seen them so tired when I picked them up from the station.

As for me, well I did a gutter clean but I'm so happy that they have actually witnessed an Olympic event that I can't put it into words :fsbgrin:
hydepark.JPG
hydepark.JPG (104.91 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Olympic experiences

Post by Wolfmiester »

sounds great Lawrence. Glad it all turned out ok in the end.
The atmosphere seemed to be wonderful at every venue.
My best mate and family were at the closing ceremony. I'm still waiting for the report :-(
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k