Olympic experiences

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Olympic experiences

Post by webberg »

I'm sure that some of us have tickets for the sport fest that is due to kick off in a month or so and I thought that those who have might like to share their experiences with those who don't?

We should start with perhaps our thoughts on the process of getting tickets and then move on to the actual events?

Personally I have no tickets as I was pretty much disgusted with the process, the fact that I would have been forced to have a Visa card, the fact that over 40% of all tickets have been dished out to "VIP's" and others who have not paid much if anything for their tickets meaning that Joe Publis has to dig deeper!

Anyway, that rant aside, let's celebrate the athlete's performance rather than the ineptitude of the administration.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Olympic experiences

Post by Stan »

I managed to get rowing tickets for 2nd August. I had applied for more but given the experience of many others at the time I consider myself fortunate. The process itself was very straight forward.
I think Graham has a point about allocating tickets to too many VIPs who have not contributed. I understand giving tickets to commercial sponsors - they have paid for these games and the games could not proceed without their money but no reason for them to be allocated to "VIPs" who have not contributed.
The visa issue didnt particularly bother me as I use one anyway but if I had not had one then I would have been extremely annoyed by the monopoly.
Like Graham I am looking forward to the performances from the athletes.
pb times
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Our first Olympic experience will be fully registered tomorrow, as my Dad is carrying the torch :D :fsbgrin: ^O^ \:D/
Anyone in the UK checking the BBC torch relay footage might spot us at approx 3:30 - 3:50 in Wolverhampton on the Birmingham road.
Go Dave =D> =D> =D>
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
JonathanA
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JonathanA »

Wolfmiester wrote:Our first Olympic experience will be fully registered tomorrow, as my Dad is carrying the torch :D :fsbgrin: ^O^ \:D/
Very 8)

Looking forward to the pics.
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Scoop »

Go Wolfie's dad :fsbgrin: ^O^ :fsbgrin: Sounds like being a superhero runs in the family.

Sadly I read it too late to log on and have a look.

But did see the torch yesterday - went and stood outside my sons school which was also a changeover point. The sky went dark 30 mins before it arrived and even though the hailstones were like half crowns the Coppers kindly told us to put our umbrellas down in case we suddenly became an earth rod for the next bolt of lightening.

Then all of a sudden the sky cleared and the torch arrived. I felt so sorry for the guy bringing the torch 600 yards up the 1 in 10 gradient - in a wheelchair. If they'd put him on the next leg he'd have been on the flat for his whole stint. Thankfully there was no rush and he made it with flying colours before passing the flame to a lady who'd run 10 marathons for charity ^O^ . Needless to say the 300 kids from my sons school were over the moon, all with Union Jacks and dressed up in Greek costumes as they'd had a Greek day in honour of the torch. Tom looked more like Julius Caesar than Socrates but I didn't have the heart to tell him - his Mum did a great job.

Walked home with my son in raptures and that will be the end of our live Olympic experience. Television is the gift of the less well heeled and I know that I'll have a grandstand view of almost every event.

As a mean 200m runner in my time I'm especially looking forward to the track events :fsbgrin:
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

It was an amazing experience seeing pater/my old man in his white track suit carrying the beautiful torch (it really is a work of art).
Wolverhampton came out in force and the atmosphere was totally unexpected, but fantastic.
A very proud day, with even the odd tear.
If I can ever work out how to put pics on here I will do so :oops:
Wolfie

JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

8) Must have been a big moment.

One of the local bearers from our way kindly took his torch in to my kid's school and each class got to have their picture taken with it. My eldest even had the opportunity to hold it! I'm sure it's a memory they will hold on to.

We did get tickets in the original lottery for the basketball on middle Monday which we're all looking forward to it. It's in the main park which should make it fun.
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Not sure where to post this, but that was an absolutely outstanding performance by Jessica Ennis. Take about grace under pressure! Words fail me! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan

Post by Stan »

I had a great trip to Eton Dornay on Thursday. Offered my services to the team but they muttered some crap about me not being a lightweight (how dare they :lol: ) - anyway we only won the silver because of that :fsbgrin:
I had to leave home at 4:20 am arriving at the carpark at 6:45 to catch the shuttle bus. I had been told it would take the bus an hour to get from the carpark to the venue. It took 15 mins. I expected the security to be a long drawn out nightmare teaming with jobsworths, instead it fast efficient friendly service from the army (maybe the muppets at 4g security did us all a favour by failing to deliver) and got through in about 5 minutes. The seats were easy to find. My seat was near the top of the 2nd stand between the 1500 and 1750m marks. The place was sold out and there was a fantastic atmosphere with the slightest mention of a British name triggering wild cheering. The event ran like clockwork with all the races starting on time. Superb performances from the British boats in the semi finals and of course our silver medal winners in the light weight quad sculls. The efforts of the British womens 8 seem to not have been recognised as they came 5th in their race, but just reaching those finals takes some doing and to have a crew in 13 out 14 events is a real tribute to their coaching.
The days racing finished at about 1:30 and our stand was told to wait for stand 1 to empty - naturally everyone piled out anyway :lol: Got back to my car at 2:30 and got home by 5pm. A very positive experience with the exception of the food which was the expected greasy rip off. I hope everyone else is really enjoying these games and have a great time to anybody else attending any of the live events.

Paul, got to agree with you about Jessica Ennis - I would imagine there will be quite a battle between her and Bradley Wiggins for sports personality of the year
pb times
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Stan wrote:Paul, got to agree with you about Jessica Ennis - I would imagine there will be quite a battle between her and Bradley Wiggins for sports personality of the year
Yesterday, they were saying Wiggins was a shoo in. Now, they're saying it's going to be interesting.

Personally, I think she will win Sports Personality by a mile unless something weird happens between now and December.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

I had an amazing day at the rowing today. Wolfie was there too, he was on the 4m line, and I was at about 60m. We were about 1m from the perfect day for GB but whilst Purchase and Hunter were level as they passed me, and they were behind by the time they got to Wolfie. The golds for GB earlier were magnificent.

To cap the day I spent the evening at the GB rowing team party. All a bit overwhelming really, surrounded by Titans. The event was to thank the base of the pyramid (I was small fry as "friend of coach" ). But I had a nice chat with Stanning and Glover (charming) and Greg Searle (5:51 returning pb at 40! I I didn't try to recruit him). Nearly all the medalists were there, and and I caught a glimpse of a gold medal. They weren't wearing them. The men's IV and VIII got lairy at about 11 so we left. I was too embarrassed to take pictures, videos but here is one of Tamsin I snapped. You can just about ser Sir Steve and Greg Searle behind her.

Privileged to be there.
uploadfromtaptalk1344126542688.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1344126542688.jpg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
I know I've not been rowing recently but hope springs eternal...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Wow Thomas :shock: That's one for your grandchildren.

Stan - I hope you had a great day and Wolfie too :fsbgrin: Just being there must be amazing.
webberg wrote:We should start with perhaps our thoughts on the process of getting tickets and then move on to the actual events?
Now that the Olympics are in full swing I would like to register my delight and pride at the performances of our athletes and my disgust at the empty seats at events. To see swathes of unfilled seats at so many events is to my mind a national disgrace. Personally I would have told the public to form a queue and then at the beginning of each event the empty seats would have been made available for £10 each to the people in the queue.

This was supposed to be the Peoples Olympics. Children, families, enthusiasts are all being deprived of a chance to watch a once in a lifetime experience through greed and poor management. I'm very disappointed.

'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Stan

Post by Stan »

As I understand it the empty seats were due to them not being taken up by the press and by national sporting bodies and the organising body had no choice in the matter (thems the rules :roll: ). The organisers seem to have tried to get these unwanted tickets back to sell to the public with some degree of success. In some cases there are so many empty seats in can only be due to lack of public interest.
There were very few empty seats at the rowing.

Thomas sounds like you had a great day - very disappointed you were not recruiting though! :fsbgrin:
pb times
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Wow Thomas! Talk about a once in a lifetime experience! That is just fantastic. I'm soooo jealous.

Paul V
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Paul Victory wrote:Wow Thomas! Talk about a once in a lifetime experience! That is just fantastic. I'm soooo jealous.
It was mad. The Men's IV are not any taller than me really but absolutely made of iron when you bump in to them (as opposed to my blancmange). I have put some pictures up on Google+. Here's Wolfie, Linzi, Tamsin and me.

And who is behind Helen Glover on her Wikipedia photo? ;)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Good to see that Steve and Linzi still have their tan from Portugal!
Mat

Post by Mat »

Great experiences all :!: :D :D

Not quite in the same league, but we travelled to Old Trafford in the week to see some Women's Football (USA vs PRK), and really enjoyed the experience (the first time the kids had been to an event of this scale). Ignore the empty seats in the pics - we were there about 2 hours early, and I reckon that the final capacity fo almost 30k was pretty good when the home team weren't involved. They did open this to schools etc (we got tickets from vis the kids school as we're helping them take a trip to the Paralympics at the end of the month - can't wait to visit the Olympic Park)
DSC06137c.jpg
DSC06137c.jpg (228.12 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
DSC06077c.jpg
DSC06077c.jpg (217.95 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
Attachments
DSC06068c.jpg
DSC06068c.jpg (226.18 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Stan describes the facilities at Dorney very well, so I won't expand there.
But we could not belive our luck when we found our seats in the stand right on the finish line 8) .
We endured some heavy showers during the minor place "finals" and sheltered under our quickly purchased ponchos!
Then, as if some higher authority was in control, the sun came out for the A finals.
It was a real priviledge to witness the two gold and one silver for GB, you really can't get enough of standing to your own anthem \:D/ .
Embarassingly I thought the rower we bumped in to on the way out was Sophie Hosking :oops: , but a nice bit of bling non the less :D .
She was very gracious O:) .
All in all, an unforgetable day.
Wolfie

Scoop

Post by Scoop »

It's funny.

I glanced at the photo Thomas posted and for a second I said "Oh look. Thomas and his wife have had their photo taken with two of the Olympic Rowing Medalists."

And then I realized ... :lol:

Mat. I hope those aren't USA flags you were waving :lol: Your son is a Mini-Mat and no mistake 8)

Hope you all had a great day.

Seth
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by Seth »

Steve and picture posters,

I haven't been on the board in quite a while, so please forgive the late congratulations. Wow, having your dad carry the tourch is fantastic.

Seeing the inside of the stadium from 'real people' views are amazing as well. I can't wait to show my kids tonight.

My family and I are glued to the TV every night watching the games and wishing we were there.

Seth
JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

Sounds like there have been some fantastic experiences of the London 2012 Olympic games.

We went to Stratford on Monday having been fortunate enough to get tickets for the Basketball (Australia vs Russia and Tunisa vs. Lithuania) in the original draw. Our observation was that the organisation has been fantastic and the atmosphere in the park was there to savour. My concerns about queing for a couple hours to get in were completely unfounded and the staff and military that we encountered were efficient, helpful and courtious in spades.

We felt very fortunate to have had the opportunity to go and hope that the kids (10 & 7) will look back on it fondly in the years to come.

As for the actual basketball, my experience of this is limited to movies about the game so I believe all games to be very close, a time out is called with seconds left on the clock and the game can be won or lost in those last few seconds... and would you believe that is exactly what happened in the Australia vs. Russia game. Time out with 4.1 seconds remaining and a score of 78-80. Australia nicked it with a 3 point score as the claxon sounded at the end of the match. If it had been made by Disney you'd have derided the lack of realism.

100_0675sml.JPG
100_0675sml.JPG (69.64 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
The empty seats at the start of the session had filled up by the second game. I came to the conclusion that some people had underestimated how long it would take to get there and many of the passionate and vocal Lithuanian fans had no interest in the Aus/Rus game that preceeded theirs.
100_0695sml.JPG
100_0695sml.JPG (55.67 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
An angry looking sky, but it didn't actually rain while we were there.
100_0690sml.JPG
100_0690sml.JPG (66.82 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Our celebrity spot of the day. No prizes for guessing; she was standing outside the America TV broadcasters area proudly wearing three purple ribbons bearing two gold and one silver medals.

Best wishes to anyone else who is going to the Olympic Park in the next few days. My three tips are:
- Comfy shoes are a must (I'm turning in to my parents) - the distances between the venues are 'much larger than they look on the tely' (No really, I am turning in to my parents)
- Take a picnic and empty water bottle (food prices are not for the faint hearted, and the queues are a specatcle to behold rather that be part of)
- Beware the lure of the Olympic Megastore (all credit card bills have to be paid in the end!)
webberg

Post by webberg »

A bit of a second hand experience from me as I'm back at work.

My wife and daughter went to the dressage in Greenwich earlier in the week when GB took the team gold for the first time in a generation. Pics to come later.

They report a great day out and we ahve a picture of a minor royal (Anne?) sat almost next to them (although my wife was reluctant to show me given my republican sympathies).

The real stars are the horses. One in particular is perhaps the most beautiful horse I've ever seen. He's called Valegro and is ridden by a 21 year old who walked into the owners yard at 16 and demanded an unpaid job as a stable girl. She just clicked with what was a difficult horse and the rest is history. Today they go for individual gold.

Other than that, Soho is full of sports people in the evenings and as Thomas said, when you bump into one, they are very solid units.

Hopefully more medals today in sailing and boxing and perhaps Kerri Ann in the long distance swimming.

(Is it now in the rules that to be a sportsman/woman not only do you need talent, work ethic, mindless determination and no money, but you have to be very good looking as well?)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
webberg

Post by webberg »

PS - my home town (Alton in Hampshire) has a golden post box in honour of one of the showjumping team.

I even walked home the long way round to see it yesterday.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
billwright

Post by billwright »

Missy Franklin?

Bill & Trish :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
JonathanA
True Free Spirit

Post by JonathanA »

Good guess Bill. She was there too but disappeared before I could get my camera out of my pocket. It's Rebecca Soni.