Web browsers

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Which web browser do you choose to use in MS Windows?

Internet explorer
50%
Firefox
10%
Opera
20%
Something else
20%

Total votes: 10

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Web browsers

Post by Thomas W-P »

I have been a confirmed Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org) user for several years now. I love the extensibility and use plugins like adblock, nscript and tab mix plus. But I recently read that Opera was going to give their browser away for free, so I am giving it a whirl. I have heard good things about it for some time but was too stingy to fork out for it.

Well, all I can say is if you think that this web server is faster than the old one you should try using opera. I am very impressed with its speed - and have not had time to work out (what I assume) is all the other things it can do.

I use microsoft's internet explorer at work and it drives me nutty. How can they not have "tabbed browsing"?

Anyone else using Opera and want to give me some tips?

What do you use?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Tabbed browsing is in IE7.

It is also an add on in IE6 that I have (comes with the Desktop Search and MSN Toolbar add-on)

Microsoft is so far ahead in the browser war that they have been slack in releasing new features lately (i.e. since IE 6) but no doubt they'll make up for lost time with IE 7. They seem to be spending lots of effort in winning the Instant Messenger wars instead at the moment by integrating everything in sight with MSN Messenger.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

My issue with IE is not just tabbed browsing. It is slow and hard (not to say impossible) to customise. It is also so popular that it is as you know, the subject of many compromises. I saw this one today for example.
deerworrier

Post by deerworrier »

what the hell are you talking about? :oops: point&click thats what i do, please explain tabbed.....i am sooooo dumb when it comes to the fineries of computing :(
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

OK - tabbed makes it easier to look at multiple sites at once.

In "standard" Internet Explorer, you need to run a whole window (i.e. button at the bottom of your Windows screen) for each page.

Tabbed browsing means that the pages you are looking at are all "tabs" inside one document.

MOST people look at one page at a time, and could care less.

Many people may have five+ windows open at once (e.g. looking up something related to an earlier page). Having the pages in tabs makes much easier.

Try Opera/firefox browser and see. Or look at this article from the wikipedia that I found in anther tab of my browser :D

Thomas
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Some people just have too much time on their hands. :P

Computers are simple, you turn them on, they go bright, ergo they work.

If they don't work you phone the help desk who send a spotty boy to fix it.

Younger and spottier the boy, the quicker they fix it. :D

Sorry guys have to leave me out of this one. I do my surfing at work and we use IE. Nothing else gets past our firewall.

At home, the kids use the machine. I'll ask my 12 year old if he wants tabbed browsing. It'll make me sound cool anyway. :twisted:

Seriously, don't mind as not in a position to make value judgements. :wink:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I just forget how techy I am... :oops:
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

I use secure IE which allows tabbed browsing. Definitely prefer it to the microsoft version.
The only slight annoyance is that passwords are not saved so you cannot automatically log in the password secured sites - like free spirits. I guess its a security thing so I can live with it.
pb times