Just bought RowPro

If you are planning a RowPro session or want to get one going, post here.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Just bought RowPro

Post by Paul Victory »

I decided to take the plunge today and purchase RowPro. I had a free license for a year after I bought my Model E, but never got it up and running, partly because I couldn't get an internet signal at the end of my garden (where I have my erg). I'm about to go out there and see if I can get it up and running. I've changed ISP since I last tried RowPro and I think I might be able to get a signal now. [-o<

If I do manage to get it going (and, in particular, if I can get an internet connection), how do I find out what online sessions are coming up? And is there a simple way to set up an offline session? I was told that the software is worth having, even if you can't get online.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Just bought RowPro

Post by billwright »

Paul

Yoo click on the tab marked Control Centre then on the tab in the next window Oarbits. On the left is the tab Session List. Click on this and you will see all the sessions coming up. It may initially give a message that you cannot connect. Give it a couple of seconds to stabilise and you will get a new screen/box. To register for one tick the box and it will ask you if you're sure. To see who's in the event, hilight the event and click participants .

Good luck

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

PS Congratulations on your NINE Irish Records! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Bill

I tried it just now and saw that there's a10k coming up in about 15 minutes. Now sure I want to debut over such a long distance, but I'm about to bring my laptop out to the garden and see if I have still have the connection.

Wish me luck.

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Doc RowSlo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Doc RowSlo »

You can also find the sessions here: http://www.digitalrowing.com/Oarbits/index.htm
That way you can see what's coming up, register or create a new session from any PC.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Lee

Unfortunately, I've been unable to get an internet signal in my outhouse. Does anyone know if there's a way of boosting the signal from my router? (I probably should have tested the signal before purchasing PowPro).

I'm going to try to set up an offline session anyway so that I can try out the software.

Paul V
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Paul Victory wrote: Unfortunately, I've been unable to get an internet signal in my outhouse. Does anyone know if there's a way of boosting the signal from my router? (I probably should have tested the signal before purchasing PowPro).
Is it possible to run a patch cable from your router to the garden where you have your erg?
Alternatively there are wireless range extenders like this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/edimax-wireless ... int-390949 but I've no experience with them and so can't vouch for whether they actually work.

Just come across this page which may be of help http://www.voip-sol.com/10-ways-to-boos ... fi-signal/
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Lee

I'll check out those links. I just finished two 'just row' sessions with RowPro. During both rows, I kept getting beeping sounds from my laptop to tell me that I had an internet connection, followed shortly afterwards by one telling me my internet connection was gone. It seems like a relatively small boost in signal might be enough to give me a stable connection. I would hate to start an online session and get cut off half way through.

My second 'just row' happened when I went to check my drag factor, which I had forgotten to do before starting. As soon as I did this, RowPro took off, so I decided to keep going. However, as soon as I changed the PM4 to get out of display drag factor, the PM4 starting counting from zero and RowPro re-set to synchronise with the PM4. I did 15 minutes anyway, so total 8.4k so far today.

Planning to have a go at the CTC challenge, but had not intended to do such a long warm up beforehand. I think RowPro will be great once I get teh hang of it, but I need to get a new HRM as the connection to the strap broke shortly after I got it and I never got round to sending it back to Suunto.

Thanks again

Paul
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Paul Victory wrote:Thanks Lee

I'll check out those links. I just finished two 'just row' sessions with RowPro. During both rows, I kept getting beeping sounds from my laptop to tell me that I had an internet connection, followed shortly afterwards by one telling me my internet connection was gone. It seems like a relatively small boost in signal might be enough to give me a stable connection. I would hate to start an online session and get cut off half way through.

My second 'just row' happened when I went to check my drag factor, which I had forgotten to do before starting. As soon as I did this, RowPro took off, so I decided to keep going. However, as soon as I changed the PM4 to get out of display drag factor, the PM4 starting counting from zero and RowPro re-set to synchronise with the PM4. I did 15 minutes anyway, so total 8.4k so far today.

Planning to have a go at the CTC challenge, but had not intended to do such a long warm up beforehand. I think RowPro will be great once I get the hang of it, but I need to get a new HRM as the connection to the strap broke shortly after I got it and I never got round to sending it back to Suunto.

Thanks again

Paul
Just finished the CTC challenge. Tried to generate a report when I finished, but the laptop went into a long freeze and eventually I got an error message telling me RowPro had to close. I think this may have been because I wasn't online, but I would have thought the session would be recorded on the hard drive and could be assessed that way. I'm going to do a cool down row now and afterwards I'll bring the laptop into the house and see if I can generate a report when it's back online.

Paul V
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm back online on my laptop and I still can't generate a report. This is the first few lines of a very lengthy error message.

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' threw an exception. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {5FF57840-5172-4482-9CA3-541C7878AE0F} failed due to the following error: 800736b1.
at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument..cctor

Does anyone know if there is anyone in RowPro I can contact who might be able to help with this problem?

Paul V
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I had a rowpro crashing problem when I first started and I sent them an email through their support page. They responded the next day with a very sensible list of things to do to resolve the problem, and in fact I was up and going by working through it step by step, They also answered my dumb questions about how to export stroke data to excel quickly and with patience.

In short, I found their support excellent.

By the way, I've had RowPro for about 3 months now and I've yet to use it online. I don't know if I'm intimidated, or just not organized enough to sit down on the erg at the right moment to start with everyone else, but I can't seem to make the leap.

I love having the stroke data, though. There is no end to the data analysis that one can do with that input.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Greg.

It's good to know that they are responsive to queries and that it works well offline. I presume the support page is clearly available when you enter RowPro and I'll try contacting them the next time I turn on the laptop.

Thanks again
Paul
Doc RowSlo

Just bought RowPro

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Paul,
I've had that very problem as have many others. Not sure that I ever got it sorted. I do remember that Digital Rowing, who are usually very helpful indeed, couldn't solve it for other people. It had something to do with the logbook and reinstalling it, which worked for some, but I really can't remember.

My advice is not to try to generate reports! That said, Colin Bradley and Christine (cweed) don't have any problems so maybe ask them.
slwiser
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by slwiser »

I have had a freezing issue with Rowpro lately and Bill gave me the understanding of what my problem was. His issue was memory and I think mine was also. When a computer has limited memory and shares it with the video then problems will occur. I think this was my problem. I now have a higher end notebook and have had no further issues so far.
62 years old, ~210 lbs; 1.765m(5'-9.5"): CABGx4 on Feb 18 2008; Dynamic @ home
-I am keeping my workouts up in Movescount under my user name here.
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Hi Paul sorry you are having problems with RP,Firstly please remember I'm not too savvy with computers myself but with regards to generating reports firstly are your rowed sessions actually getting into your row pro log if so I just double left click on the session in the log and that should open up the report if not then a email to Pete at digital rowing will help as he is very helpful.
just a few hints to check along the way are
1.make sure that you are set as the current user, (you need to fill in your profile)
2. In user settings is the save strokes box ticked as this may effect the generation of reports, not sure about just rows as I never use this function but if no strokes are saved on just rows then maybe there is no data to report , if that makes sense. please ask any questions no matter how simple, or you can skype me if that helps, good luck matey hope it sorts itself out soon.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a new Linksys router today and I have now have a perfect internet signal in my home gym (apparently it has a range of about 300m). I tried to enter an online race, but screwed up the paperwork. I also seem to have lost the option of saving stroke data, so I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out how the damn thing works.

Paul V
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Paul Victory wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a new Linksys router today and I have now have a perfect internet signal in my home gym (apparently it has a range of about 300m). I tried to enter an online race, but screwed up the paperwork. I also seem to have lost the option of saving stroke data, so I'm going to have to spend some time figuring out how the damn thing works.
Good news there Paul :-)

As far as the stroke data are concerned: Control panel >> User Settings and then just check "Save Strokes by Default"
mark88man
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by mark88man »

I just downloaded the trial version. 15 days to go

Looks good - just playing at the moment but will try and do an online session if I can find one long and slow enough!!

see you on the pixel river
Mark, 52, 1.90m, was 125kg (on 12/1/2015), now 110kg having been briefly at 99kg in 2016
Used to be this good (2007/8 Seasons)
Am now this good - (2017 Season)
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

mark88man wrote:I just downloaded the trial version. 15 days to go

Looks good - just playing at the moment but will try and do an online session if I can find one long and slow enough!!

see you on the pixel river
2PM UK time there's a 60 minutes with 3 FS'rs in there already. I'm one of them so it will be slow as my only goal is to get through an hour without a HD

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
mark88man
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by mark88man »

sorry plummy - I missed this coz duh! I was doing a 60' session. have to get into the habit of checking
Mark, 52, 1.90m, was 125kg (on 12/1/2015), now 110kg having been briefly at 99kg in 2016
Used to be this good (2007/8 Seasons)
Am now this good - (2017 Season)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I've sorted out my problems with RowPro just as I'm about to head off on holidays. I'll try to get a session in this morning, but I won't go inline as I have to pack, leave the dog to the kennels, get to the airport, etc. I have a question though about using RowPro for offline sessions.

I set up RowPro for my 60 minutes time trial yesterday, but nothing happened on the PM4 when I started rowing. So I stopped and set up the row on my PM4 and RowPro treated it as a just row piece. What do I need to do to get the same session to appear on my logcard and on RowPro?

Paul V
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm still having problems with RowPro freezing on me. It seems to work when I'm rowing, but when I save a row and then do another session, it freezes when I try to save the second row. Then last night, I tried to generate a report and it froze again.

I've installed the latest version and done everything I was instructed to do by Pete, but I'm starting to feel very frustrated. :evil: Any experts out there who can help?

Thanks

Paul V
plummy

Post by plummy »

Was there a thorough clear out of old versions, files and registries before the re-install? I had a problem (with an older computer) and it turned out I had 3 copies of a file that I should only have had one of.

My ultimate fix was a new laptop with buckets of memory - this one still has a glitch every now and again (in fact the PM4 came up with an error message last night whilst connected = something like 934 - 33 but it was only on the PM4) but 99% of the time it's bulletproof.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Hi Paul does it work OK in 2D mode?
Also I had a problem when I had two firewalls running at the same time
Also I never touch the PM4 when using Row Pro
Can you get online OK (ie oarbits) and does the green light stay lit
Screen saver off or set to a long time
automatic updates can cause a conflict I think
not sure about this but I had a problem in the early days to do with which C2 log book I used I seemed to have two running for some reason
Good luck matey hope you sort it soon
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for the responses.
plummy wrote:Was there a thorough clear out of old versions, files and registries before the re-install? I had a problem (with an older computer) and it turned out I had 3 copies of a file that I should only have had one of.
Yes, I did a complete clear out following instructions given to me by Pete.
colin bradley wrote:Hi Paul does it work OK in 2D mode?
Also I had a problem when I had two firewalls running at the same time
Also I never touch the PM4 when using Row Pro
Can you get online OK (ie oarbits) and does the green light stay lit
Screen saver off or set to a long time
automatic updates can cause a conflict I think
not sure about this but I had a problem in the early days to do with which C2 log book I used I seemed to have two running for some reason
Good luck matey hope you sort it soon
It works OK in 3D mode. It just won't let me save the file.
I think I've only one firewall running - how do I check this?
I've been setting up the rows on the PM4. Could this be what's causing the problem?
Yes, I can get online, but I haven't actually participated in an online row yet.
Screen saver set not to come on when computed connected to external power source.
Not sure what you mean by automatic updates?
No issue with C2 logbook (as far as I can tell).

As you can probably tell from the above, I'm not exactly a computer expert and it's probably something fairly simple I'm doing wrong. The fact that I haven't bothered reading the instructions thoroughly probably doesn't help. :oops: I should probably do that before trying again.

Thanks again

Paul
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Paul, All the sessions have to be set up via RP and not the PM4, sounds like that is your problem matey, see you on the pixel river soon.