CTC - how it works

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

CTC - how it works

Post by Mike Channin »

Various people have asked me how the CTC works.

Here is a quick intro to it. Basically, all you have to do is register on the CTC site (and remember to put down that you're a Free Spirit) and then enter your time/distance for the current challenge (don't forget your password). It does the rest in terms of allocating you to a boat.

The rules for filling each boat are as follows:
A boat must have ONE lightweight (male or female), ONE female (lightweight or heavyweight) and THREE further rowers. The boats are filled automatically in order of fastest times registered, according to the rule above. Each FULL boat scores points for the team, depending on where the boat score comes in the overall scores. A boat without a full complement of rowers DOES NOT SCORE.

As a consequence of the way CTC works, it is ALWAYS worth posting a time for us, no matter how awful you may think it is, as it will probably allow us to float another boat. This is particularly relevant if you are FEMALE or LIGHTWEIGHT (and if you are both, you are doubly invaluable), so don't hold back - post those times.

We're relatively late starters on the CTC, but with our fantastic rate of participation we may reach the top of the leaderboard by xmas this year. Keep it up Spirits!

Any other questions on the CTC, please post them on this thread and someone will answer them ASAP.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: CTC - how it works

Post by Iain »

The Team Leaderboard lists by average points per boat which seems to discourage floating less competitive boats. While if it is absolute points that count, not only do additional boats score a few, but they score a further point for every boat above them. So as a team that vies to float the most boats each month, we get more benefit from additional boats that most teams. Indeed will often make encouraging participants for rival teams to our advantage (i.e. if they were to have a 5th boat in second last place, they would earn 2 for the boat and add 4 to there team for their other boats, a total of 6 if we had 12 boats above them we would gain 12 points!). I know it is taking part and personal competition between rowers that is the main point, but is there an established method to determine the ranking of teams?
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Iain, there was a recent discussion on this ...

http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/ ... f=7&t=1262
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
whizzer
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model B

Post by whizzer »

Hi being new to FS team I'm wondering how I log my CTC metres/results for each months challenge?

I'd give it a go if I knew where/how to record it so that I can get in a boat. And I'm a LWt. :)
50 y.o - 178 cm - 77kgs (up 2kg since 19/05/10) .
Kaupungsman
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Kaupungsman »

You need to register first. Click the ''Add or Update a Person'' just under the banner at the top of the page(http://www.c2ctc.com/). Or click this :http://www.c2ctc.com/person.php. Follow instructions on the page. You can use your real name or your forum name.

Then just add your times on the main page with ''Add/Update an Entry''. Your name should appear in the drop down list. Good luck and have fun!
Neil: 49/183cm/95kg
whizzer
Free Spirit

Post by whizzer »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have already registered . So it should be simple enough then.
Thanks again for the help. :fswink:
whizzer
Free Spirit

Post by whizzer »

Simple signing up. Not so simple doing 4x250 with 1 mins R. :o
Posted my worst interval on the CTC so I'm in my first boat for the FS. :fsbgrin:

All good fun. :wink:
ozgirl

Re: Pete Plan

Post by ozgirl »

I need directions for PP. Have looked at the link on the FS home page, registered and still can't find details that I'm searching for. How it works, etc etc.
Have also been told about a training programme called "wolverine" or something very similar.
Please help!!
Ozgirl
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Pete Plan

Post by Thomas W-P »

ozgirl wrote:I need directions for PP. Have looked at the link on the FS home page, registered and still can't find details that I'm searching for. How it works, etc etc.
Have also been told about a training programme called "wolverine" or something very similar.
Please help!!
Ozgirl
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Ozgirl, good luck with the Pete Plan. It works. It hurts ;)

The first post on the Pete Plan thread is probably what you need: http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/ ... 61&start=0

But for a quick summary this is really good further down the page: http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/ ... 224#p17224
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I thought a post in this thread may raise it's profile if people tend towards "view new posts" like I do.

Before anyone thinks I'm pushing, I'm not, just trying to make it easier for people to join in - if they so choose. At least if everyone clearly understands the little sign up/log in procedure and what the CTC all about we may get a few more takers.

Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Doc RowSlo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Doc RowSlo »

plummy wrote:I thought a post in this thread may raise it's profile if people tend towards "view new posts" like I do.

Before anyone thinks I'm pushing, I'm not, just trying to make it easier for people to join in - if they so choose. At least if everyone clearly understands the little sign up/log in procedure and what the CTC all about we may get a few more takers.

Plummy
Oi.....stop being pushy :fswink: :lol:
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

yer back off Plummy :lol:
PS theres a 10 k on Row Pro this evening if you fancy a little paddle :twisted: 7.40pm
boyde

Post by boyde »

I rowed 6 x 5 mins with r1
7673, 1:57.2
P B Times

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2798826910

CTC http://www.c2ctc.com/

S M 770'514m 23-07-11
mgalactico
Warming up

Post by mgalactico »

Can a time entry be submitted more than once? I would think yes but it was not clearly stated..

Thanks
RachelR

Post by RachelR »

You mean if you do the challenge more than once and improve your time? Yes, you can enter a new time which will override the first or previous attempt :) Good luck!
mgalactico
Warming up

Post by mgalactico »

Thanks!
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

As I understand rowing, there are only two variables important really: distance and time. How to achieve the best times or distances (by way of technique, drag, rate) is all up to you. On the CTC however, a lot of the later challenges add a third variable: strokes per minute. Next month's 8x500/2r with time penalties for intervals between 20-30 spm as a prime example. So I was wondering: is it possible in the ctc to make the number of strokes the objective?

For example: row 2k with the least number of strokes possible. That's a rubbish challenge by the way #-o :lol:
Or: count the number of strokes you can hold the same pace. You can choose any pace of your liking. Would the technically perfect ergers have to row until they fall from their seat? :P

I apologise if this all seems too absurd. I just wonder if this is a possibility, because if it is, sooner or later, someone will probably make a CTC challenge out of it. :)
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Rodger wrote:As I understand rowing, there are only two variables important really: distance and time. How to achieve the best times or distances (by way of technique, drag, rate) is all up to you. On the CTC however, a lot of the later challenges add a third variable: strokes per minute. Next month's 8x500/2r with time penalties for intervals between 20-30 spm as a prime example. So I was wondering: is it possible in the ctc to make the number of strokes the objective?

For example: row 2k with the least number of strokes possible. That's a rubbish challenge by the way #-o :lol:
Or: count the number of strokes you can hold the same pace. You can choose any pace of your liking. Would the technically perfect ergers have to row until they fall from their seat? :P

I apologise if this all seems too absurd. I just wonder if this is a possibility, because if it is, sooner or later, someone will probably make a CTC challenge out of it. :)
Very interesting, Rodger :!: :fsgrin:

I remember Emily once made the suggestion (when it was Free Spirits to choose) that the challenge could be something like how long can you row with (like) 600 strokes. Not too many supporters, though. When I come to think of it the organizers might have a problem with the logarithms, as with distance/time there is always an average split directly linked with those, whereas distance with a limited number of strokes or the number of strokes to perform a certain distance this would more secondary. Apart from that it could be a problem with the number of strokes to reach 2k that the PM4 (or whatever) doesn´t count the strokes per se over a distance (more reliable if it was one minute or splits for each minute),

These were just my thoughts on that...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
cowboygrrl
Rower and forum addict...

Post by cowboygrrl »

Thinking of doing this for April………. do I register by going to the CTC page and add a person? Also, what does this mean, "First rep from a static start, rolling starts allowed on subsequent reps."
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

yes you register from add a person - you select your club from there as well.
Static start means the clock on the monitor starts when you start rowing. Rolling starts mean you can row during the rest intervals, so the fly wheel is already turning when you start rowing fast again. Good luck
pb times
cowboygrrl
Rower and forum addict...

Post by cowboygrrl »

Stan wrote:yes you register from add a person - you select your club from there as well.
Static start means the clock on the monitor starts when you start rowing. Rolling starts mean you can row during the rest intervals, so the fly wheel is already turning when you start rowing fast again. Good luck
So this starts April 1, and runs the whole month? I can do it more it once, just update the time? But you stay on the same boat (which you are automatically assigned to?) for the entire challenge?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

cowboygrrl wrote: So this starts April 1, and runs the whole month?
That's correct.
cowboygrrl wrote: I can do it more it once, just update the time
Also correct. If you improve your time, you can enter a revised score.
cowboygrrl wrote: But you stay on the same boat (which you are automatically assigned to?) for the entire challenge?
No. You are automatically assigned to a boat based on your time. The first boat consists of the 3 fastest rowers overall (usually, but not always, male heavyweights) the fastest lightweight (or next fastest lightweight if there is already a lightweight in the boat) and the fastest female (or next fastest if there is already a female in the boat). If we ignore the complication of possibly having more than one lightweight or more than one female in the boat, boat 2 is then made up of the next 3 fastest rowers plus the second fastest lightweight and the second fastest female and boats 3, 4 and so on are filled in a similar manner.

Teams members are automatically moved up or down into different boats as they improve their times or as other members row faster times than them.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

It may be a very obvious statement but just for clarity - if you have a second/third atempt etc and it is SLOWER than your first/previous entry - you DONT need to enter that time, just your fastest one. You can have as many goes as you like.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

I copied the "rules" from the indoorsportservices (C2 UK) forum:

1. Duration of a challenge: There was unease at MAD's 12km challenge which fitted the criterion of an hour for warm-up, row & cool-down when elite rowers were considered but not for slower categories. 10km was established as the limit for single distances or 45 minutes for timed intervals.

2. Standing/rolling starts: Until recently, rowers made their own choices about how to attack the starts during interval challenges. After much wrangling it was decided that the team proposing the challenge should stipulate the manner of each start.

3. Interval rests: Again, until recently, it was accepted that rowers could log results when they had taken shorter or no rests during interval pieces. It was agreed that teams could insist on the rests being taken for a valid entry and that this should be included with the challenge. For example, the current FIRT challenge stipulates a maximum of 6 minutes rest. This implies that a rower could take no rests and submit a distance for 15 minutes continuous rowing.

4. Rate-limited pieces: It was accepted that a rower could take more than the maximum number of strokes provided that the monitor rounded it down to the stipulated limit. For instance, a 30spm20 piece requires 600 strokes. A rower may pull, say, 608 and still produce a valid entry.

5. Sliders/Dynamic ergs: There's not been much discussion about their use; it's not even clear whether they provide an advantage over the static erg. Results are valid from both slider and dynamic ergs. Results are not allowed when non-C2 machines are used.

6. Timing of Entries: To allow late entries to be recorded from all parts of the world, the new challenge does not appear on the CTC site before 12:00GMT on the first day of each month. We rely on rowers to produce their performances during the calendar month in their time-zone.

Most probably one additional rule will be added shortly, that prohibits rowers entering scores for more than one team per monthly challenge. It's under vote right now. You can vote here until Sunday, 12:00GMT January 4th:
https://doodle.com/8dm6fpk7u94puk9u
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Voting has closed. The rule is added:

7. Multiple Team Participation: Rowers are restricted to making an entry for one team during each monthly CTC."

There is also a Facebook group for the CTC now, if you are into that sort of thing:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/811435128892611/
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg