The Flat Stanley thread

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

badocter
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: The Flat Stanley thread

Post by badocter »

I was away from the forum for a while and missed some of the Flat Stanley. Looks like he really liked New Zealand. :fsbgrin: Is he still there, or has he travelled further. Perhaps BIRC should be on his itinerary for November.

I showed megan the new pics and she sends her thanks to all. :fsbgrin:
MHw 48, 6'2" (1.88m), 228# (103 kg)
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Don't worry you don't need to contact your local diary farm!
Flat Stanley.jpg
Flat Stanley.jpg (153.92 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
Flat Stanley did make it back to the states from NZ....We have been having a blast. He came with me on vacation to Maine, but was too camera shy to get into any shots, but he lived through a 3 day rain deluge, and got to see some GREAT bird action.
DSCF2279.jpg
DSCF2279.jpg (248.96 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
Turns out he isn't a big baseball fan, but he did get to play a lot in trees, and play structure at my house.
FS at home.jpg
FS at home.jpg (247.04 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Today, I decided that since FS was a school project then he should get a bit of a history lesson. We went for a short bike ride to North Bridge....
IMG_6108.jpg
IMG_6108.jpg (230.26 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
North Bridge is one of the places where the British and the colonists clashed during the first battles of the US Revolution at Lexington and Concord.
IMG_6109.jpg
IMG_6109.jpg (226.94 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
IMG_6117a.jpg
IMG_6117a.jpg (208.55 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

IMG_6136.jpg
IMG_6136.jpg (204.9 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
IMG_6130.jpg
IMG_6130.jpg (185.98 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
IMG_6134.jpg
IMG_6134.jpg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

IMG_6142.jpg
IMG_6142.jpg (244.97 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
Tomorrow, we will go to the boathouse and see what trouble we can get FS into. ; )
cweed
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

Emily you are making me homesick for New England!!!
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
badocter

Post by badocter »

The pictures are awesome and much appreciated Emily. So who will FS visit next? Still time to make another couple of stops before BIRC.
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Oh Bill, one more trip to the boathouse.
DSCF3206.jpg
DSCF3206.jpg (193.87 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
FS met the fabulous Ruth (another rower) and Isaac (the coach).
DSCF3212.jpg
DSCF3212.jpg (231.92 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Then it was time to get to work....

FS hopped to it, and jumped into the stroke seat. He is a starboard too. But we ran into a serious problem. He's flat... It's hard to hold the oar.
DSCF3209.jpg
DSCF3209.jpg (220.09 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
Once FS stopped crying we went up to the erg room, where we saw the fabulous Robyn doing a piece. FS wanted a piece of it so made himself comfortable.
Robyn.jpg
Robyn.jpg (229.07 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
With that Flat Stanley is packing his bags to go see Mat! He, of course, was a wonderful house guest and is always welcome back.

Christine, New England is a great place to visit in Feb!
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

Flat Stanley has arrived on Anglesey :D :D

He's had just the one trip out so far when he joined Lucie and myself on a quick trip to the local town. First he visited our local train station where he struggled to get his mouth around the 58 letters of the longest place name in Europe...
Llanfair Station.JPG
Llanfair Station.JPG (172.47 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
He soon mastered the pronunciation (took me six months :roll: ), and insisted on knowing what it all meant, so across to take a look at the translation
LLanfair translation.JPG
LLanfair translation.JPG (246.61 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
On the way back, we drove along the Straits, stopping for a quick look across the water to Snowdonia
FS Overlooking the Straits.jpg
FS Overlooking the Straits.jpg (211.86 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
We'll take a few more trips out over the next couple of weeks and then he'll join us for BIRC where I'm hoping he'll cox me before heading off to Grantham with Scoop :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
andy walls
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by andy walls »

I would be honoured if Flat Stan accompanied me to the National War Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire :fswink:

Im attending a parade there 14th Nov 2010
41 yrs, HWT, If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Scoop
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Scoop »

Some fabulous pics of FS there Mat. It looks like he's had a great time in beautiful Wales.

If Andy wants to take him to Staffordshire before he visits us then that's fine. Andy, probably best to PM Mat with your address because I'm guessing he was planning to hand him over to me at BIRC. The only proviso is that we will need him back for BIRC because that is one photo call that I'm guessing he won't want to miss :D
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Scoop wrote:Some fabulous pics of FS there Mat. It looks like he's had a great time in beautiful Wales.

If Andy wants to take him to Staffordshire before he visits us then that's fine. Andy, probably best to PM Mat with your address because I'm guessing he was planning to hand him over to me at BIRC. The only proviso is that we will need him back for BIRC because that is one photo call that I'm guessing he won't want to miss :D
Im more than happy to wait until after BIRC, might even attend myself and collect him in person :wink:

Mat

Post by Mat »

I'm sure we can arrange something :fsbgrin: Hoping to let him visit a few more places, but this week has been almost non-stop rain and driving winds (we have horizontal rain here at this time of year :roll: )

Either way, you ought to pop down to BIRC, Andy - especially as its relatively close for you :D
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Mat wrote:we have horizontal rain here at this time of year
Well at least with that kind of rain the ground never gets wet Mat :wink:
Mat wrote:Either way, you ought to pop down to BIRC, Andy
We're counting on seeing you Andy - if you don't come to us then WE'LL COME TO YOU :twisted:

'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
andy walls

Post by andy walls »

Mat wrote:Either way, you ought to pop down to BIRC, Andy
Scoop wrote:We're counting on seeing you Andy - if you don't come to us then WE'LL COME TO YOU :twisted:
OK, I get the message :lol:

Mat

Post by Mat »

Not been out and about too much more due to the weather. For some reason Stanley was nervous about getting too close to the bonfire on November 5th, and didn't fancy joining in with my lads rugby game yesterday - her was worried in case he got flattened!

He did however come out to help me mow the lawns between showers...
FS Lawns.JPG
FS Lawns.JPG (238.11 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
He was up early on Sunday, and so given his international experience at IRCs, I thought I'd bring him out to my little corner of the barn to provide some advice during training. Unfortunately, all he had to say was "get you hair cut you scruffy oik" :?
Fs cox.JPG
Fs cox.JPG (232.74 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
commodoreann
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

I hope Flat Stanley has a great time at the BIRC's :lol: =D>
Hope his time will be recorded.
Now he is a lt wt, but what age group? :?: :shock:

Just remember, here is the list!

duckrunner (NZ)
thomas wp (NZ)
boris (wisconson,finland ---> JULY)
emily (boston)
mat (wales)
scoop (england)
kirby ? (canada)
schfarris (california)
Stan (Malvern)
cweed (MD + Washington DC)
Hewitt(Blackburn)i could try and get a picture of him in a Eurofighter at work. :wink:
Commodoreann :fsbgrin: & Peter (Saratoga, NY)

We want to show Flat Stanley a great time in Saratoga, New York.

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
schfarris
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by schfarris »

Wonderful pictures.

We're looking forward in having Flat Stanley in So Cal.
badocter

Post by badocter »

WOW =D> =D> :fsbgrin: :fsgrin: :fssmile: I was just hanging up Megan's poster on the wall facing my erg for inspiration and figured I'd check in on where he went after her project ended. I see that Flat Stanley has been racking up some serious meterage. :shock: Thanks all for your enthusiatic support of Megan's project . I will print the photos that have been taken since and add them to the poster. Its been a few monthes since the last post in this thread, so dare I ask if he still being curculated ?
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Hello to all, and a big sorry to Megan, Bill and to all Free Spirits from the King of Apologies for kidnapping Flat Stanley for so long.

Flat Stanley is safe and well and has had a couple of unepic adventures in his time in staying with us. He is still as flat and smiling as ever.

Grantham is a medium-sized market town in Lincolnshire. It doesn't have a lot to compare it to the sweeping panoramas of New Zealand or the beautiful valleys of Wales, but it does have some history and I'm very fond of it. I think FS enjoyed it too.

First stop for Stanley was my daughter Hannah's school.
fskggs1.jpg
fskggs1.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Hannah is on the left with her friend Charlotte on the right (Flat Stanley is in the middle). The school is KGGS, short for Kesteven and Grantham Girls School and it has got a famous Old Girl :-
fsmthatch1.jpg
fsmthatch1.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Yes indeed. The first famous person from Grantham is Margaret Thatcher, now also now as Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven. It's called the Roberts Hall because Roberts was her maiden name before she fell in love with the multimillionaire oil and chemical merchant Dennis Thatcher. Having Margaret Thatcher as former resident of Grantham is a mixed blessing. The UK is divided 50/50 as to whether she was an angel or .... not. Margaret herself wasn't overly fond of Grantham and most locals believe that she saw to it personally that we never got a bypass (not the heart kind, the road kind).

Flat Stanley was also interested to learn that Grantham had another famous resident - see if you can guess from the picture :-
fsisaacsapple1.jpg
fsisaacsapple1.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Sir Isaac Newton was born in Woolsthorpe and went to school in Grantham. His list of scientific achievements is very well known and our statue of the hand and the apple commemorates his invention of gravity which helps to prevent us (you) from floating upwards when (you are) erging.

A quick trot for Stanley over to another place of interest
fsangelroyal1.jpg
fsangelroyal1.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
The Angel and Royal dates back to the 13th century and it may be the oldest inn in England (contested with the Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham). It was visited by King John in 1213 (but the inn was not in it's present form), Richard III, Charles I and other Kings, with it's popularity mainly due to it's prime location on the Great North Road and a prime stop for coaches running between London and York, Leeds, Edinburgh and even Aberdeen.
fsstvincents1.jpg
fsstvincents1.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Flat Stanley was surprised that I'd even brought him here. A private house that you can't even visit so just the rather boring name plaque of St Vincents in the photo. Not many people know that it was from St Vincents Hall in Grantham that Operation Chastise was directed, better known as the Dambusters.

Then a short walk down the road from my house for Stanley. In 1981 the Queen had already bought Charles and Diana their main wedding present (Cornwall), but she wanted to find them a nice 3 bed semi as well.
fsbeltonhouse1.jpg
fsbeltonhouse1.jpg (26.89 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Belton House was on the shortlist of suitable houses but it was rejected by Charles as being "too small". (This might be a local legend so please don't stick it in your history O-Level). At least we do have Diana's sister, Lady Sarah McCorquerdale living near Grantham.

Not to be outdone, my son Thomas insisted on taking Stanley to the snooker hall for a quick frame
fssnooker1.jpg
fssnooker1.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Stanley was lying on the blue ball before Tom broke and we couldn't get a good standing up photo of him so he looks a bit sun drenched. We put Stanley in a safe viewing place before we started the game.

So that was Stanley's tour of Grantham. I could tell you about the history of heavy engineering and the railways and the munitions but it's all gone and even as I cleaned my bins at the top of Houghton Road on Thursday a huge JCB with a giant steel ball was smashing to pieces the building where my wife's father spent his entire working life. Sadly, most of Grantham's past glory seems to be just that :- past. (Did I mention that Nicholas Parsons was also born here?)

Flat Stanley has finished his extended stay in Grantham and is on his way to Madchester next Saturday to watch the stars in action before making his way over to Kirby in Canada.

It's been an honour to have him.

Huw Thomas

Post by Huw Thomas »

Great that things are ok

Just remember, here is the list!

duckrunner (NZ)
thomas wp (NZ)
boris (wisconson,finland ---> JULY)
emily (boston)
mat (wales)
scoop (england)
kirby ? (canada)
schfarris (california)
Stan (Malvern)
cweed (MD + Washington DC)
Hewitt(Blackburn)i could try and get a picture of him in a Eurofighter at work.
Commodoreann & Peter (Saratoga, NY)

can I add:
Huw (Somerset) - I will introduce him to zider?? :o amfd hopefully cricket and sailing :o :fsbgrin:
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Huw, Stanley is already flat on his back most of the time so I think Zider may not be a good thing for the little fellow. :lol:
badocter

Post by badocter »

Thanks for the update scoop. My older daughter is now participating in a play called "Flat Stanley" of all things so those photos should come in handy..... I appreciate the photos and be printing them out for her and Megan.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Quick update. The little fellow arrived yesterday in Malvern.
pb times