Had a good day? Tell us about it.

Tired of talking about rowing and want to talk about the real world? Enter a forum where rowing is a rude word...

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Phil j
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Had a good day? Tell us about it.

Post by Phil j »

Well, what a perfect excuse to have a couple of days off the rowing machine. My wife Clare gave birth to our baby girl Emma Kate at 0057 on Thursday 14th August. Clare was amazing throughout a long labour and I know if it was us men that gave birth it would be a bloody small population andI thought a half or full marathon on the erg was hard :lol:
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Had a good day? Tell us about it.

Post by Stan »

Many congratulations on the great news Phil.
pb times
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

Wonderful news - best wishes to you all! (Oh, those lovely baby snuggles...enjoy each and every one of them!)
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

NIce one Phil & Clare 8) \:D/
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
nomugie
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by nomugie »

Congratulations, Phil! Enjoy!
Shang-Chi
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Shang-Chi »

Congratulations. Nothing beats a new child. You must feel on top of the earth and happy! \:D/ O:)

Just wanted to say that the jobs okay, my back is okay and I am beginning to train again after 3 weeks pause. Had to pause after the vacation, due to virus (thin stomack and some weakness after Mallorca, which were great 8) )

Ran today and yesterday and it felt good (5.5 + 6.5 km.). There is a good chance that I will log some rows in september!

I have also cleaned up my computer, pictures, iTunes-musik (with original cover 8) ) and mails are sorted and in order now.

The school, where I work, is now a "musical-creative" school (=not a good translation! We have always done musicals, but here it means both to work with music but also to use the body in the learningprocess, fore instance dancing, choreography, inventions, methods and so forth.

We got a new soundstudio with new instruments (soundproof), and a dance-movements-choreography-room with mirrows and hi-fi.
We also got 2 new art-studios, and we made a CD just before the summer called: "Who we are", the official school-song

So everything is going good.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Dear Phil and Clare

your lovely news of the safe arrival of Miss Emma Kate brought such a huge smile to my face
so glad you have your little bundle of joy to treasure and nurture

our smallest and newest Freespirit !

take care of her and of each other

massive hugs from JR and family
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Heck, this is a rare thing for me to be on this sort of thread, however....

Since I was 4.5 (yes, I was that small once) and hospitalised for 3 months, and on antibiotics for 13 years, I have had the spectre of a Rheumatic Heart valve hanging over me and the thought that one day it might start misbehaving (as this was suggested by my doc at the time). I've always kept fit with a view to delaying this possibility and rowing pushed every button and ticked every box. After some odd chest pains over the weekend, I went to the Docs to review my medical history and get checked out thoroughly. She was a star and went back through my entire history (back to 1967) and up to an Echocardiogram a couple of years ago and declared there is no evidence whatsoever of a leaky valve now and although I have fractionally raised blood pressure, I am fit as the proverbial butcher's dog (from a cardiac point of view).
I can now tell the travel insurance people to remove a clause on their paperwork (ha!) and now feel that a weight (albeit one pushed to the back of my mind) has been lifted. WOW - what a high.

The down side is, I've always worried that I may be pushing my heart a bit hard for it's "perceived condition" - now it doesn't have one, I'm gonna have to find a new level to push it to - and that's REALLY gonna hurt.

Happy Happy (and just a little emotional to be honest)

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

That is EXCELLENT news.

Now, about pushing on to a new level - let me assist ... I shall be round with the megaphone and big whip! MWA HA HAAAA!!! :twisted:
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Plummy,

I can not imagine the fear you were living with. What a big relief! Glad you are well.

Emily
JonathanA
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JonathanA »

plummy wrote:She was a star and went back through my entire history (back to 1967)
Surely you are not old enough to have a medical history that dates back so far!

Great news Dave.It must, indeed, be an enormous relief. With the shackles removed surely a sub 6:50 2K can only be just around the corner?
JonathanA | more pedalling than pulling at the moment
Stan

Post by Stan »

Great news Plummy :fsbgrin:
pb times
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

I had a good day (week) I managed to finally make it all the way on the Ten Kay and 1 hour later I had a good talk with a devorsed couple (parents) about their separate responsibilities regarding their youngest son (11y). I managed to make them meet and talk things over and agree about their sons future upbringing...rules at home, weekendsstays, homework (when and where), bedtime, foodhabits (and candydays) and whereabouts with friends (freetime). All the important things in his life. I felt real glad after that meeting. They were really nice and I felt welcome in their home. (They are originally from Turkey)

:D
badocter

Post by badocter »

plummy wrote:She was a star and went back through my entire history (back to 1967) and up to an Echocardiogram a couple of years ago and declared there is no evidence whatsoever of a leaky valve now and although I have fractionally raised blood pressure, I am fit as the proverbial butcher's dog (from a cardiac point of view).
I can now tell the travel insurance people to remove a clause on their paperwork (ha!) and now feel that a weight (albeit one pushed to the back of my mind) has been lifted. WOW - what a high.

The down side is, I've always worried that I may be pushing my heart a bit hard for it's "perceived condition" - now it doesn't have one, I'm gonna have to find a new level to push it to - and that's REALLY gonna hurt.
That's outstanding news Plummy =D> =D> Odd thing that your reward is that you are going to hurt more. :twisted:
MHw 48, 6'2" (1.88m), 228# (103 kg)
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Yeah baby :!: 8)
Top excuse to raise a glass in your honnor Dave (I'll make it OJ just for you :wink: )
Wolfie

cweed
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

Plummy - great news on the heart.

Mikkel - good work. Divorce is hard on kids and it is great that you are such a positive advocate for the child.

Phil - Congrats. Enjoy it they grow really fast!

My good news (minor by comparison) it that the electrician just finished in my laundry room. When my dryer broke (mid-September) it lead to a re-work of the laundry room - moved the plumbing and vent pipe and finally, after over 4 weeks of trying to get one to commit, an electrician came to finish moving the plugs. Can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be getting the new washer and dryer installed next week (no more imposing on my neighbors and waiting at the laundromat). Thrilled to the point I don't even mind I am spending the rest of the day patching major portions of drywall.
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
plummy

Post by plummy »

cweed wrote:after over 4 weeks of trying to get one to commit, an electrician came to finish moving the plugs.
As long as it's a good day, it doesn't matter what got it there. (Re the tradesmen - you wouldn't think there's been a world recession going on for the last year the effort it takes some people to even turn up and quote, let alone actually turn up on time and do the job)

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
cweed

Post by cweed »

I actually asked the electrician about it. He used to "run 5 crews but with the recession had to cut back so the remaining 4 are really busy." Plus a lot of firms are no longer in business. It was constant hounding to get them out here. I think his wife who runs the office finally took sympathy with my cause (the woman needs to get her laundry room finished, she has 4 kids). Or maybe she was just tired of hearing my voice.... :lol:
cweed

Post by cweed »

Tonight we went to the All County Honors Band concert (middle school and high school students). The kids played so well and sounded terrific. It was a very nice way to end to the day. It is so wonderful when they move out of the squeaky instrument and screeching strings phase!
plummy

Post by plummy »

Anyone who has put up with my company long enough recently will be aware that since god was a boy, I have been troubled by irregular heartbeats. These have gone on and off for what seems like years but seemed to become particularly worse around last November when I went back to the docs and requested some proper tests. 7 months of prodding and poking, echocardiagrams, heart event monitors, you name it, I finally got a letter this morning:

Blurb, blurb, blurb......

Conclusion:
I am satisfied that there is no sigificant structural heart disease or worrying arrhythmia. The patient does not have biscupid valve disease on the basis of our detailed echocardiography.

Reassurance is in order and no treatment is indicated

So it looks like I'm just going to have to put up with what I've got (it's still irregular right now whilst I type) and not worry about it.

Thanks to Lee for previous advice
Christine - you can tell your mother in law that her worries re me keeling over on the 24 were in vain after all.

I shall celebrate with a choccie or three!

Plummy
Last edited by plummy on Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
billwright

Post by billwright »

I reckon that you'll be pretty relieved to hear that news Dave. It doesn't alter the status quo but at least you know it's not bad news. Hat's off to you for persevering with your rowing programme (especially the 24 hour event) whilst anticipating possible bad news. ^O^ ^O^

Make it a packet of Jaffa Cakes mate. They're lovely. :lol:

See you Friday.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
webberg

Post by webberg »

Good news Plummy.

I think reassurance is 90% of feeling well.

Use the euphoria to push out a PB. =D>
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Nice one Dave, enjoy the long weekend with extra vigour 8)
Wolfie

Daffy

Post by Daffy »

That is most pleasing news - so glad for you, Dave. Not nice to feel it happening, but much better when you have the knowledge it's actually ok. :D (No excuses for 8k in 30mins now... :wink: )
Stan

Post by Stan »

great news Dave. As Daffy says, on with that 8k 30 mins now.
pb times