Meter board banter

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

InlineJinn
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Meter board banter

Post by InlineJinn »

Back on the Pete Plan 10k, but as I qualify for AARP and Ohio Buckeye (consolation prizes for making it to my 6th decade) I'm taking more days off (3 instead of 1 per week) and doing other things. Climbed 32 spots on the meterboard, but no aspiration to break into the top 100 from my current 141 spot. Hit what used to be my TR heart rate zone in a 5k hard row, but I haven't done a test in 20 years.
John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

InlineJinn wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:24 pmBack on the Pete Plan 10k, but as I qualify for AARP and Ohio Buckeye (consolation prizes for making it to my 6th decade) I'm taking more days off (3 instead of 1 per week) and doing other things. Climbed 32 spots on the meterboard, but no aspiration to break into the top 100 from my current 141 spot. Hit what used to be my TR heart rate zone in a 5k hard row, but I haven't done a test in 20 years.
John B.
I was in 126 when I last looked, so will keep my eyes open for you! I do various PP sessions. The PP thread in the training area has gone quiet recently, would be good to have some company!

- IAin
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit

Post by Duckrunner »

Impressive progress Paul. Are you logging your metres for the team challenge?
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
InlineJinn

Post by InlineJinn »

Iain wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:20 am I was in 126 when I last looked, so will keep my eyes open for you! I do various PP sessions. The PP thread in the training area has gone quiet recently, would be good to have some company!
The Pete Plan topic is too scary and full of overachievers. There's even some guy with bike race screen grabs! At this stage in my life, I'm only competing with myself (and anyone I can catch on the Meterboard). I did consider having a heart attack as a valid way of getting out of the 1 hour row early, something I wouldn't have considered last century -- but it just kept pumping merrily along while my quads and back screamed.
Accomplishments for the week:
  • Broke 300,000m for the season
    Posted my best 1 hour distance of 10,572. Amazed that this is only a little less than my 2017 best 10,753.
    Have decided my new max HR is 155, down from 170 when I was 25 years younger. Re-calibrated my HR zones. They look a lot better now :lol:
    Moved up to 129 on the Meterboard, or will when it refreshes. Iain is practically out of sight at 104 =D>
John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

Great to see the Meterboard banter alive and well.

Jumping into the World Erg Challenge event would boost us nicely up the leaderboard [-o<

You should be able to join the challenge here -> https://log.concept2.com/team
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Mat

Post by Mat »

InlineJinn wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:19 am The Pete Plan topic is too scary and full of overachievers. There's even some guy with bike race screen grabs! At this stage in my life, I'm only competing with myself
I rarely look on this thread but somehow managed today and noticed your post. First of all - well done on your recent achievements on motivation through the meter board. I'm sure it won't be long before you reach your all-time best 10k distance

I think that all of the main training topic threads have been going for so long that we can all find details of training sessions from those that we have no chance of replicating, as well as those who may be slower than us. I have always found that the real value of these thread is the mutual support to and from others on the thread - whatever the relative performance.

I had to chuckle about the "bike race screen grab" comments as I immediately guessed to who you were referring. Claudius does a lot of his rowing on Zwift to which the erg can be linked (he's explained it to me but I haven't yet got around to doing it) but unfortunately Zwift does not yet have a rowing boat avatar and so it's shown as a bike! (as an aside, Claudius is simultaneously the strongest Lightweight rower I can remember being on the forum, and also one of the most supportive of others).

In recent months, Iain appears to be the only one posting on the PP thread, as he stated
Iain wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:20 am The PP thread in the training area has gone quiet recently, would be good to have some company!
I can assure you that Iain is also very supportive and you certainly shouldn't be scared of joining and posting in that thread

Please feel free to take all this with a pinch of salt - I just felt it appropriate to drop you a line of encouragement and assurance that you are welcome have have no need to feel that any topic thread is "scary" - just take a look around (advance warning - in the "What training..." thread you will find my own bike race screen shots but I've always felt that that thread in particular is ideal for those who mix up training types)

Best wishes, Mat
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
InlineJinn

Post by InlineJinn »

JonT wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:23 am Jumping into the World Erg Challenge event would boost us nicely up the leaderboard [-o<
Done. One nano-boost applied.
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Jessica Red…good to see your metres steadily ramping up again!

P.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Carole S
Rower and forum addict...

Post by Carole S »

Thank you dear Paul
So a combination of 2 consultants at the JR, 2 GPS, 2 practice nurses, 1 phlebotomist, and an nhs "wellbeing therapist" have all ganged up on me and Im just waiting for a physio or chiropractor to join in and Ill be all set lol
I am forbidden for anymore than 2k in a session on pain of the proverbial BUT my eating has calmed down as my grief issues settle, Im tracking my intakes on myfitnesspal and getting back in the spirit !
If yr ever Reading or Oxford way give us a shout, I still love coffee its low in calories
:D :fsbgrin:
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

10k for you today JR…I assume you are ignoring the Drs advice?! Or was that cumulative?

Reading or Oxford easy for me…I work from home now, so that coffee would be great!

My target is to chase down Mr Channin by the end of the season…which will be OK unless he piles on more metres!

P.
Paul

Carole S
Rower and forum addict...

Post by Carole S »

Im afraid yes its cumulative just 2ks plod plod
After Easter be great to see you
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
InlineJinn

Post by InlineJinn »

Wow, broke into the one-teens! Didn't expect that.

Was having a great row, one of those where you think "If I can just hold this for an hour, I'll shatter my 10K and 60 minute PBs, but I'm not sure I'll make it" kind of rows, when I got an unusual twinge in my L knee. I'll try to ease through twinges in my quads, but I'm terrified of knee injuries. So I eased up, warmed down and walked away. The knee feels fine now, so I may have wussed out on the best row of the season. More squats I suppose and if there's no pain, I'll try again later :)
John B.
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Best to stop and live to fight another day!
Keep going, steadily!

8) 8) 8)
Paul

JonT

Post by JonT »

I'm enjoying our little mid-table tussle Mr Plumb. It's keeping me going when I really not feeling it at all at the moment.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain

Post by Iain »

Tahnks to a bit of a push for the WRC, exceeded my target of top 100 and today hit 75th basically in 3 months! Pitiful compared to Paul, but good for me.

Thanks Jon for your work keeping meterboard going, it is a real inspiration when trying to come back

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

JonT wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:13 pm I'm enjoying our little mid-table tussle Mr Plumb. It's keeping me going when I really not feeling it at all at the moment.

Jon
I had noticed a bit of "pacing" going on. My week on holiday and subsequent man-flu put a major crimp in my aspiration to finish in the top 40. Gone are the days when I'd just throw in a nice random HM to climb a few places. You are 100% correct in that the tussle does make you do just that little bit more though.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Well done Mr Bee!
You got your 5m for the season!!

^O^
Paul

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

PSims wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:15 pm Well done Mr Bee!
You got your 5m for the season!!

^O^
Cheers Paul!
JonT

Post by JonT »

I have to admire Jan's HM to push me down a place on the Meterboard on the last day of the season. Well played sir =D> =D>

.....unless I do a sneaky 5K before bedtime that is! :wink: :lol:

Jon
jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

JonT wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:27 pm I have to admire Jan's HM to push me down a place on the Meterboard on the last day of the season. Well played sir =D> =D>

.....unless I do a sneaky 5K before bedtime that is! :wink: :lol:
Sorry Jon, this is my first HM in a couple of years, thought it would make my Nonathlon score look a bit more respectable :fsgrin:
It wasn't fun but it had to be done - no chance of a FM any time soon. :(
I wouldn't be upset if you did that 5K, promise I won't row any more today, just got cramp trying to get up out of my recliner :shock:

Jan
JonT

Post by JonT »

jhaveman wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:51 pm ...just got cramp trying to get up out of my recliner :shock:
:lol: :lol: