Anyone had any SEASON's bests recently?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Anyone had any SEASON's bests recently?

Post by Mike Channin »

New season started, so there should be plenty of these around ;-)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Carole S
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Carole S »

Half marathon today in honour of my late Mum
Improved on last years effort of 3:10:26.6
Today did 2.52.23.3
Interesting to note that a 30lb weightgain over the year from comfort eating results in an 18 min time improvement
:fsbgrin:
She would be proud
:fsbgrin:
25 million lifetime meters :fsgrin:
obirobsan
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by obirobsan »

Half marathon today. As I said in my Facebook post about it .... "OK. That was hard."

My goal was 1:30, squished in at 1:29:04. The first two splits weren't bad -- since I normally do 5k or 30:00 dailies. Then it got a little crazy. Then it got a lot crazy. Changing from 5 digits to go to 4 digits to go was nice, but somewhere in there, I was thinking "you know, this is farther than I've ever rowed, there'd be nothing wrong with just calling it a day here. There's still 8 more days in this challenge." That thought persisted for a long time. It was strange to be only 2500 meters out and going "Maybe I should just give up here." What! 2500 meters!!!! Somewhere in there, I detected my form had collapsed due to exhaustion, so there was fixin' to be done. And, then, remarkably and perhaps unbelievably (I was sure it was just a hallucination of the befuddled mind), the numbers went from 1000 to 999, and hope blossomed. If I were OTW, I could just coast to the end, or at least have a teammate short rope me there. But alas, there were no short ropes to be found, so I dug deep, levered one negative split between splits 4 and 5 and called it a day.

I have to say, kudos to you guys that do the full marathon or the 50/100k. That 21k beat me down in ways I didn't think possible. On the "amusing" side, Fitbit decided my rowing motion looks like an "elliptical" and gave me 4500 steps of credit. Thanks, Fitbit!

ImageImageImage Image
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

Well done. It is a very tough distance both mentally and physically. Believe me, the one next week will be way easier :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Beat 20:00.0 on the 5k this morning. It was a nice workout, I enjoyed it. Season best, and new personal best. Hooray.
JonT

Post by JonT »

obirobsan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:56 pm Beat 20:00.0 on the 5k this morning. It was a nice workout, I enjoyed it. Season best, and new personal best. Hooray.
Well done on the PB and SB! It is also really great to break through a milestone like a sub-20 5k =D> =D>

If you like a bit of tracking to get some motivation, you might want to look at the Nonathlon - https://www.nonathlon.com/. The idea is that you complete as many events as you like ranging from 500m to a Full Marathon. The site gives you a score based on your gender, age and weight class. Then you can compare your scores with others and also compare them across different seasons. It isn't for everyone, but I find it is something that pushes me from time to time.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
duffyoz
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by duffyoz »

A solid 6k at this time of year, I'm quite happy with. It may turn out to be an entire season best since I don't do this distance hard, very often.

25.07.4 for a 2.05.6 av pace. My all time best is 2.04.7 pace for 24.56 so all things considered, doing OK.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Nice start to the season Lesley. If you have a strong, injury free year that PB may be achievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Only a hair more than 10 seconds off all time best this early in the season seems like great positioning! Nice start!!
JonT

Anyone had any SEASON's bests recently?

Post by JonT »

My Nonathlon is looking pretty crap at the moment so I am embarking on a campaign to sort that out. I had already posted a 10K this season, but it was a bit soft, and I have more appetite for long distances than sprinty stuff at the moment. I set off aiming at a 2:05 pace. As you can see, the pacing wasn't great and I had to back off in the second 5K just to ensure that I would finish. That's a bit disappointing because 2:05 is still way off my PB from a couple of years back which was a sub-40 time. But, I dug in at an easier pace and then accelerated through the last 1500m to come in just under the target, but at HR max which really wasn't the plan at all!

(Ignore the pace target in the image, that was a hang over from a session I did last session I think)

stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Well done on the 10k Jon, a similar situation for myself wishing to progress on the nonathlon. We could have a bit of a competition if I can improve a bit. I'm planning on a 6k tomorrow and hopefully I can get sub 30 mins.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Although not really much to shout about I'm actually quite happy with my 30 minute SB last night. Even though it was only 6954m (119m more than my previous best this season) it was the fact that I managed it without HD demons all over me from 15 minutes in. Normally I'm more than ready to throw-in the towel at about then but I managed to mostly squash them and get through a whole 30 mins without ever thinking about quitting. Next stop 7062m which was last year's best...
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

Keep it up Plummy and keep those demons at bay.

obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

plummy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:50 am Even though it was only 6954m (119m more than my previous best this season)
Nice improvement! That again and your last year's best will be in the bag! Great job!!
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

plummy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:50 am Although not really much to shout about I'm actually quite happy with my 30 minute SB last night. Even though it was only 6954m (119m more than my previous best this season) it was the fact that I managed it without HD demons all over me from 15 minutes in. Normally I'm more than ready to throw-in the towel at about then but I managed to mostly squash them and get through a whole 30 mins without ever thinking about quitting. Next stop 7062m which was last year's best...
Nice one Plummy - onwards and upwards!! ^O^
You inspired me to start trying to bump up my Nonathlon scores after a relatively long period of inactivity - been taking tentative steps towards getting back up to speed, including experimenting with lower DF - this doesn't work for me so it is back to normal and I was pleasantly surprised to get my first 800+ score on this morning's HM :

Distance : 21097m
Time : 1:36.28
SPM : 23.7
DF : 300

As with all my rows other than an infrequent sprint this was strapless.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
plummy

Post by plummy »

Nice one Paul. I only managed 1 x 60 minute row last season and a HM was more than several bridges too far so although I might grind out a 60 mins at some point I doubt I'll managed a HM no matter how slow I go.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Well done, Paul :!: =D> =D>

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Finally got back around to the 2k - did my first run CTC as a warm up, then piled in a rest 2500m, and then dialed in the 1:50 pace boat 2k - goal time 7:20. Time achieved 7:20.0. Flawless victory? I actually started ahead of the pace boat and over the course of the run let it catch up - 400m splits were: 1:48.6, 1:49.8, 1:51.3, 1:50.0, 1:50.1. Went from 58%ile by age/gender/weight to 85th. So, can't hate that. Humorously, this is only my 2nd 2000m - I really never do this distance.
JonT

Post by JonT »

obirobsan wrote:Finally got back around to the 2k - did my first run CTC as a warm up, then piled in a rest 2500m, and then dialed in the 1:50 pace boat 2k - goal time 7:20. Time achieved 7:20.0. Flawless victory? I actually started ahead of the pace boat and over the course of the run let it catch up - 400m splits were: 1:48.6, 1:49.8, 1:51.3, 1:50.0, 1:50.1. Went from 58%ile by age/gender/weight to 85th. So, can't hate that. Humorously, this is only my 2nd 2000m - I really never do this distance.
Well done Rob. 2k is never easy and you made a big improvement there! Looks like you did a good, long warm-up too which I’m sure helped a lot Image

plummy

Post by plummy »

In the theme of "onwards and upwards" I decided on a whim to try another 10k last night as although happy that I actually managed to complete one last week (albeit with 3+ stops) I was somewhat embarrassed with 45 mins+. I managed to lop off 55 seconds and finished with 44:23 and change so a small degree of progress. Next stop, sub 44??
I don't want to appear to be hogging this thread with times that are truly uninspiring to others but if it inspires me to try a bit harder then I'm going for it...
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

plummy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:54 am In the theme of "onwards and upwards" I decided on a whim to try another 10k last night as although happy that I actually managed to complete one last week (albeit with 3+ stops) I was somewhat embarrassed with 45 mins+. I managed to lop off 55 seconds and finished with 44:23 and change so a small degree of progress. Next stop, sub 44??
I don't want to appear to be hogging this thread with times that are truly uninspiring to others but if it inspires me to try a bit harder then I'm going for it...
You carry on posting - it is about YOUR seasons best, not anyone else's, and you are moving in the right direction.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Fully agree with PG here. Keep the posts coming. Great to hear about the progress!!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Awesome job, Plummy! In my book, if you're improving, you're crushing it!! Keep it up!
obirobsan

Post by obirobsan »

Did my first run of the season on 60m, so got a season best. Haha -- 13394m. It actually beat my last season 13226, so I guess it's a PB too. Both are slower than my HM pace, so I can probably improve, but just wanted to slug one out to fill in the missing nonathlon gap (besides the FM, which I haven't quite steeled myself to do yet).

Oh, I guess the cool part of this one is that I've now improved on every one of the categories from last season (or did them for the first time this season). Yay.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Way to go everyone your all doing just great, please keep posting as its really encouraging.
30 min SB this morning A soft 5902m but another box filled in the Nonathlon just like to say I'm only going up to 10k well maybe a HM if the 10k goes well. Talking about 10ks Dave do you remember that one on RP all those years ago when we smashed each other into the ground. Happy days but I think I actually cryed at the end of that one.