Anyone had any PBs recently?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Gregors HM PB

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Derrylad wrote: That is F*((dg amazing ( sorry guys - but 10 minutes is a 2 - 3k difference ). Tha is the biggest PB difference I have ever seen. CONGRATULATIONS :lol: My hat goes off to you.

It's amazing what you can achieve by just pushing that little extra. I reckon your could take some time off you 10k as well ( re-row your last 10kPB and just stay ahead of the paceboar ) obviously once you have recoverd.

Again. WELL DONE

Rob
Thanks for the kind words. I was dreading doing that distance as the previous 2 times I attempted it I trudged in with splits around the 2:18/500m mark.
However, recently I attempted the 60mins and it felt quite comfortable so I went for it a lot more than I would normally have.

I'll have a go at my 10k later on this week. Things are good at the moment - I feel confident I can get a few more PBs over the next couple of weeks.

I've got a long way to go until I match your 1:45.1 splits for the 30mins.
Very impressive. Well done. :)
6'6" 1971
jlemon
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by jlemon »

Congrats, Gregor. I saw your HM, and was inspired to attempt one for the first time - so I guess it's automatically a PB. Turned in a time of 1:37:59, which includes 3 breaks to get off and resuscitate a butt cramp. :oops:

I have no idea how I'm going to survive a FM at this point, at the end of the HM, I was just happy that I finished.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

PB for 6000 metres tonight 21mins 58.2 seconds.......just done a 12 hour shift.....it killed me.....lol
Last edited by Mark Evans on Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Gregor - congratulations on the big improvement in the half marathon :shock: - I told you you could beat 90 minutes. Now I expect to see your 10k come down below 40 mins as well. I strongly suspect your 1 hour should be around 14700/14800.

Mark - well done on your 6k as well
pb times
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Stan wrote:Gregor - congratulations on the big improvement in the half marathon :shock: - I told you you could beat 90 minutes. Now I expect to see your 10k come down below 40 mins as well. I strongly suspect your 1 hour should be around 14700/14800.

Mark - well done on your 6k as well
Thanks Stan
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: CTC Challenge PB

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gregor Andrews wrote:Thomas, will you be attempting to beat this one tonight? (More motivation!) :twisted:
Tried and died my friend. That is an awesome time. I decided to see how long I could keep 2:05 this evening and found that it was not too long. I fell apart after 62 minutes.

I think I had better attack it in chunks - maybe aim for sub 90 minutes next time. I am sure that is in my compass - could have done it today if I hadn't been so depressed about not getting near you!

Truly a great effort. Bet you are miles ahead on nonathlon now. (I checked - you are 50 ahead). I fear your 10km time is vulnerable to another decrease. Perhaps I had better start concentrating on sprinting which seems to be my forte!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
SandBaggerOne

10K PB

Post by SandBaggerOne »

After a lackluster week or two, I managed a PB 37:28.1 for 10,000m tonight. It feels good to feel fast again.

Cheers,
Colin Brinkman
Thomas W-P

Re: 10K PB

Post by Thomas W-P »

SandBaggerOne wrote:After a lackluster week or two, I managed a PB 37:28.1 for 10,000m tonight.
Ouch. Not sure I will ever reach that standard! Well done.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Modest but proud

Post by webberg »

Gregor - great HM time.

Mr Brinkman - different league to me - good improvement

Me a 15k PB by 73 secs to 64:45. The following 1500 was definitely not downhill
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
BartMan
Rower and forum addict...

Post by BartMan »

I'm sticking my oar in here (no pun intended), but do you always attempt PB's rowing in this fashion?
What you are doing is a classic 'Fartlek' session, which is excellent for training, but a very inefficient way to achieve a target.
No worries any advice apprecitated, not attempting PBs with these rows really, just training, trying to make myslef hurt, which it does, and the PBs are coming, which I'll take any way they come!!
I love rowing, I hate rowing, I love rowing, I hate rowing...

steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

Roller Coaster

Post by steve the slug »

[quote] Me a 15k PB by 73 secs to 64:45. The following 1500 was definitely not downhill

Totally agree webberg itis not a nice downhill ride!!!!

the slug aint enjoying this too much (250K) but nearly back on track went to gym last nite and this morning doing bits on roller coaster

i know exactly how those kenyan long distance runners felt now, when anybody starts the roller coaster try doing the downhill (sprint) in under the 2m/500, the 15k then 1500 felt like 30 odd laps at 70 secs then a 4 lap burst at under 60 (killed me).

but now done part 3, last 4 bits all been achieved at under 2/500 barrier so must be getting fit.

still it keeps us going

row, row, row your C2 gently down the stream,
merrily, merrily, merrily, it's certainly not a dream.

Slug
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

15536 metres for 60 mins today......very pleased

Mark

We should all PULL together in Free Spirits!!!
Last edited by Mark Evans on Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SandBaggerOne

CTC 30 min

Post by SandBaggerOne »

I just beat my PB of 8039 by posting an 8058m piece for the CTC 30min. I don't know how you heavyweights pull 8500m and up!
steve the slug

Roller Coaster

Post by steve the slug »

i am still on this one but very happy to get a season pb for the 10k.

got under the 40min (39.54) barrier for the first time in a year & then followed it with 2k down (7.55).

also made this week by best ever for meterage and i have still got 2 days 2 go, mind you it will be nowhere near to simsy 156K (daft bugger), but i am on track for chris's challenge

slug
PSims
True Free Spirit

250km

Post by PSims »

Personal best of 17 hours 43 mins 16.5 seconds for 250km!
What do you mean that isn't a standard ranking distance on the C2 site?!!!

Now I can just "play" tomorrow....
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Bangers
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: CTC 30 min

Post by Bangers »

SandBaggerOne wrote:I just beat my PB of 8039 by posting an 8058m piece for the CTC 30min. I don't know how you heavyweights pull 8500m and up!
Well done Colin. 8058m would have put you in about 8th place on '06 world rankings, and thats veeeery respectable. Did your row Place Free Spirits 1 in front of the MAD 2 team boat?
Roger B
M 81, 5'8", 74kg
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by johnglynn »

I got a cheap PB today.
Did my first ever mile today. I came out with 1:37.2 pace which due to my weak form this week I'm resonably happy with (2 weeks ago I'd be expecting 1:36 or even 1:35 pace).

Only one more cheap P.B. to get, the Full Marathon, I think I'll wait until October (or whenever the FreeSpirits FM is on) for that one though.

I'm thinking of doing something really really stupid next week. I'm currently clocking 32K per week :oops: (stop laughing) .
But a lot of the ELM (Summer Roller, Mr Sims, HMvsPB) and Nonatlon things require long distances. So I've got a week of Death planned next week, where I forcast I will clock up about 85K in a single week. I call it my week of Death as it will either kill me (unlikely) or make me wish I was dead (very likely).

The longest meters I've ever done in a single week was 50K. And I generally try to limit my long distances in the summer heat, I've a bit of bubber on me which makes hot days very hard.

Kudos to everyone going for the 250K, and putting in close to 85K per week for an entire month !!!!
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
PSims
True Free Spirit

Longer ones

Post by PSims »

Hey John,

You will also be able to post for 7 Wonders and Le Mans - they are just an accumulation of your total metres over a week and a day respectively!

Good luck for next week.
Paul

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by johnglynn »

Cheers Paul, I'll gain a few points from them two also

And I might finally be able to pull a lead over you on the standard ELM points. Having said that the 12 points from the imperial and metric miles helped today.

And it's mad enough the others doing the 250K in one month, you go and do it in 2 weeks. Very impressive.
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
SandBaggerOne

Post by SandBaggerOne »

"Well done Colin. 8058m would have put you in about 8th place on '06 world rankings, and thats veeeery respectable. "

Among lightweights?

"Did your row Place Free Spirits 1 in front of the MAD 2 team boat?"

Indeed it did!
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Did another ctc row today and improved slightly with a new pb of 7435. I repeat the question - how do you 8500+ in 30 mins. Full respect to Robert et al.
pb times
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

John - I had to make a list today of all the challenges and the split times I need to achieve to get most points, using end dates of the challenges and others results:

1) Ferris Wheel
2) HM vs PB
3) Imperial Mile/Metric Mile (set dist=1,609, split to 1,500) kill both together

etc....

This thing is becoming an exercise in Project Management and Planning.

Oh God....not the day job again!!!!

I was puzzled by a lot of the results for the 2 miles.
I expected the 1,500m split times to be quicker than the 1,609m.
They aren't. Have I missed something?
Paul

Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Did my first ever half marathon today.

I wasn't sure how to pace myself so I started at what I thought was a conservative 1:59 pace. Not sure this was the best tactic as I found it difficult to sustain and eventually slipped to around 2:04.

Finished in 1:25:04.5, which was a bit slower than I had hoped, but I was just glad to complete it without totally blowing up. I would welcome any suggestions as to how I might tackle my next HM.

Thanks

Paul
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Paul Victory wrote:a conservative 1:59 pace
Given your fitness and strength I would aim for that in the second half. I find if you do it REALLY easy for 11,097 then you can pull hard and strong through the second half.

When I chased Gregor's time I made the same mistake of going off too fast and imploded in the second half. Never even finished!
steve the slug

Roller Coaster

Post by steve the slug »

Finished that one in 3hrs, 22 mins, 56sec.

two milestones acheived 10k back under 40mins, & last nites 5k under 19mins

best week ever

slug