Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Injuries.....:(

Post by JonT »

Paul Victory wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 pm Had a visit with the physio this morning and he advised me not to row for a while. I'm still having a lot of lower back problems and he feels that erging will exacerbate the problems. I'm seeing him again in two weeks' time and will review the situation then.
Sorry to hear that Paul. Hopefully two weeks rest and a gentle return will do the trick 🤞🏻
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Pulled/tore something in my back (lower right hand side, where my muscles (?) attach to the top of my rear pelvic bones).I've had problems in this area before owing to my very predominant right sided leg drive. I'm at 4 days hobbling about and maxing out on Ibuprofen and I'm still struggling to be more than slightly mobile - so 2021 is going to have to start with a whimper rather than a bang. Now, where's that hot water bottle again..?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

plummy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:53 am Pulled/tore something in my back (lower right hand side, where my muscles (?) attach to the top of my rear pelvic bones).I've had problems in this area before owing to my very predominant right sided leg drive. I'm at 4 days hobbling about and maxing out on Ibuprofen and I'm still struggling to be more than slightly mobile - so 2021 is going to have to start with a whimper rather than a bang. Now, where's that hot water bottle again..?
Try a bag of something frozen too 👍 wrapped in a tea towel 🙂 heal up quickly 🤞
JonT

Post by JonT »

Sorry to hear about the injury Plummy. Sounds like one of those annoying “strains” that can be quite painful and difficult to do anything about other than rest up.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Sorry to hear it Plummy, hope that it heals up. Just start back slowly at lower DF.

I managed to do something to my shoulder when I came off seat at maximum power, bizarrely it isn't slowing me down on the rower as it doesn't hurt if I pull straight and look forward, she who must be obeyed is a bit bemused that I can't do jobs overhead but can do HMs on rower!

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Iain wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:09 am I managed to do something to my shoulder when I came off seat at maximum power!
Surely this is a story we need to know more about :lol: #-o
Iain

Post by Iain »

JonT wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:25 amSurely this is a story we need to know more about :lol: #-o
Not very spectacular, was doing 30S r1' intervals at R24 taking every stroke at maximum. Not sure what I did differently, but managed to end up crooked with the corner of my seat pad folded over and only half on the seat. I stupidly tried t keep rowing so puled unevenly. Due to slow rating managed to square up after one stroke and get the seat pad flat again over 2 more. As someone who used to regularly do 100m sprints and end up astride the rail at least once during each such session, far from dramatic and alot less painful! unaware of any injury until the session was over when I realised that lifting my arm up &/or turning my neck towards it really hurt!
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Iain wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:58 pm
JonT wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:25 amSurely this is a story we need to know more about :lol: #-o
Not very spectacular, was doing 30S r1' intervals at R24 taking every stroke at maximum. Not sure what I did differently, but managed to end up crooked with the corner of my seat pad folded over and only half on the seat. I stupidly tried t keep rowing so puled unevenly. Due to slow rating managed to square up after one stroke and get the seat pad flat again over 2 more. As someone who used to regularly do 100m sprints and end up astride the rail at least once during each such session, far from dramatic and alot less painful! unaware of any injury until the session was over when I realised that lifting my arm up &/or turning my neck towards it really hurt!
Sorry to hear about your DIY avoidance injury - have you ever thought of auditioning for "Takeshi's Castle"? :) :) :) :) :)

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Iain

Post by Iain »

paulgould wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:13 pmSorry to hear about your DIY avoidance injury - have you ever thought of auditioning for "Takeshi's Castle"? :) :) :) :) :)

Paul G
No as I hadn't heard of it until your post! reading its Wikipedia page I think "You've Been Framed" is more likely, although I did submit an application to "Total Wipeout" that was too late for the final series.

- Iain
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Iain wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:19 am
paulgould wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:13 pmSorry to hear about your DIY avoidance injury - have you ever thought of auditioning for "Takeshi's Castle"? :) :) :) :) :)

Paul G
No as I hadn't heard of it until your post! reading its Wikipedia page I think "You've Been Framed" is more likely, although I did submit an application to "Total Wipeout" that was too late for the final series.

- Iain
Well you are certainly doing your bit to make Erging a spectator sport :D :D
Joking aside, you are doing really well with your training currently - keep it up =D> =D>

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
wojtek
Rower and forum addict...

Post by wojtek »

In the last week I have not been on the rower due to some virus I have picked up. Feels like mild Dengue (which I had last December). Awfully painful back, tiredness. I had to have the obligatory Covid test to check that I was not infected and transmitting to my students.
On Tuesday I sat on the rower to do a warm up. After 1000m, I flaked out and went to sleep for 12 hours, just waking up before virtual classes.

Still feeling a bit rough. Will see how it goes, just going to take it easy.

Sad Woj

JonT

Post by JonT »

Doing Bulgarian Split Squats earlier this week with a 12kg medicine ball and my left foot slipped off the bench and hit the floor.....hard! I can barely put any weight on my foot now and my big toe is a lot bigger!

After a day I went to the hospital - no fracture, just a bad sprain. So fingers crossed I will be OK after a few days. Adapted PT session today, but no chance of rowing yet #-o
plummy

Post by plummy »

Good news on no fractures or breakages. They sound nasty as an exercise truth be told - maybe one to avoid in future... ;-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

That’s very unfortunate Jon. Hope you recover quickly.

I’ve been advised to stay off the erg for a while. This is not due to any new injury - just a new therapist that I’m seeing about my lower back issues who has put me on a new regime and wants me to take things a bit easier for a while.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
JonT

Post by JonT »

Every cloud has a silver lining. I have been a lot of John’s Rowalong sessions and listening to him on technique. As a result I have been trying to minimise my heal lift and get the best possible contact with my feet at the catch. It’s always hard to break habits, and I have struggled with this and keeping a form I am comfortable with.

It turns out that having a very sore toe does wonders for minimising heal lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plummy

Post by plummy »

Diagnosed with a right-side shoulder rotator cuff injury by a physio yesterday after 4~6 weeks of extreme pain if I move it at just the "wrong" angle. 90~95% of movement is ok but 3 times in the last 2 weeks I've managed to hit that wrong angle/stretch and it's left me in agony for 45 mins to an hour after. I was convinced it was tear of some kind but he reckons not - so I've got a set of specific strengthening and stretching exercises and will be going back for progress updates weekly. If it doesn't improve he's suggested an ultrasound as a deeper delve into what might be wrong. Think I'm getting old... :-(
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:54 pm Diagnosed with a right-side shoulder rotator cuff injury by a physio yesterday after 4~6 weeks of extreme pain if I move it at just the "wrong" angle. 90~95% of movement is ok but 3 times in the last 2 weeks I've managed to hit that wrong angle/stretch and it's left me in agony for 45 mins to an hour after. I was convinced it was tear of some kind but he reckons not - so I've got a set of specific strengthening and stretching exercises and will be going back for progress updates weekly. If it doesn't improve he's suggested an ultrasound as a deeper delve into what might be wrong. Think I'm getting old... :-(
Sorry to hear that Plummy. Sounds really annoying when you have no idea when you might happen to just make that awkward move. Will it stop you rowing, or is that something you can do without aggravating it?
plummy

Post by plummy »

Not stopping rowing at the moment as fortunately rowing doesn't cause the "who just knifed me in the shoulder?" pain. Add to that, I'm not handing you that place on the metreboard without a fight! ;-). I'll stay away from anything too sprinty though.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
JonT

Post by JonT »

plummy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:05 pm Not stopping rowing at the moment as fortunately rowing doesn't cause the "who just knifed me in the shoulder?" pain. Add to that, I'm not handing you that place on the metreboard without a fight! ;-). I'll stay away from anything too sprinty though.
That's good to hear Plummy.

Realistically there is no hope of me closing the gap between us unless I do something legendary. I hope I can mop up a few of the "dormant" rowers that sit between us though. I hope the shoulder is on track for a full recovery.
JonT

Post by JonT »

Typical. In the week where I wanted to get a good start to the season and tick off a HM, and the week where refereeing start again for me I have messed up my knee doing Bulgarian Split Squats! Just dipped and got shooting pains in my right knee, now can’t bend it properly.

Referee training cancelled tonight. Lots of rest and hopefully I will be on the pitch on Sunday. I think my HM challenge plans are screwed though

Iain

Post by Iain »

Sorry to hear in Jon, hope your knee recovers swiftly. Still plenty of time to get an HM in :twisted: .
JonT

Post by JonT »

Well my knee seems to be settling down. It had a real test on Sunday when I returned to refereeing. It was a baptism of fire - an U18 match with two squads of very fit and capable teens. I survived and so did the knee.

https://strava.app.link/8hwhkvuNagb

I did a steady 3x2.5k yesterday with just a few minor twinges. No rowing for me today because I have referee fitness training this evening. Always a tough session.

Meanwhile I seem to have injured my wrist. Too much time typing last week I suspect. Image

Kevinhorne44
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Kevinhorne44 »

Jon have you thought about buying some knee sleeves for weight training??
It would add some stability & give you confidence. I use some single ply ones from the strengthshop. I find them useful especially when doing single leg stuff 👍

Glad your on the mend though 😎
wojtek
Rower and forum addict...

Post by wojtek »

Just spent five hours in the hospital getting my leg imobilized after I managed to severly sprain my ankle at the farm this weekend.

One week in a cast, with probably about 10 sessions of physio following that. And today I was going to start the Pete Plan. Heh ho.

Be back in a few weeks hopefully,
Woj

Iain

Post by Iain »

Sorry to hear that Woj. As someone who used to have a lot of ankle sprains, it is really important that you do all the exercises the physios give you or you will be left with reduced mobility and a permanent weakness. Look forward to having you on the PP thread soon.

- Iain