Do you warm up?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Gregor and Bartman

Post by Derrylad »

Do you do a warm up before you start any distance. I tend to do 1 - 2k gentle rowing just to get the joints lossened, then you can go for your 5 or 10 k. Adds a bit if extra time but makes a substantial difference as you can set a comfortable pace at a very early stage.

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Warmups? depends on the distance I am doing. If I am doing a short distance then yes I will do a warmup. Anything over 5000m and no I do not warm up though I will usually do a cool down afterwards.

Another new pb for 30 minute ctc this evening but not enough to get me back into boat 6 :evil:
pb times
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Gregor and Bartman

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Derrylad wrote:Do you do a warm up before you start any distance. I tend to do 1 - 2k gentle rowing just to get the joints lossened, then you can go for your 5 or 10 k. Adds a bit if extra time but makes a substantial difference as you can set a comfortable pace at a very early stage.

Rob
If anything I tend to do a short warm up of about 1000m, but like Stan, only for distances under 5000m.

I only tend to do a warm down if my heart's really going fast after a shorter distance.
6'6" 1971
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I split this out because it is an interestingn topic in itself and not really part of the PB thread.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
PSims
True Free Spirit

Always

Post by PSims »

I ALWAYS warm up before rowing.

I walk from the changing room to the gym, get on and row.

One day, I'm asking for trouble - but I'm always strapped for time.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I do warmups for all distances, generally alternating every 100m between race pace and race pace+10

For 500m and less I do about 1Km
For 500m - 2K I do about 600m
For 5K-6K about 400m
Anything longer about 200m

The warmup serves 3 functions with me,
1 - Warming my muscles up for the short distances, and getting the heart pumping
2 - Checking if I've any minor injuries, i.e. if my right quad(tigh) is sore I will usually change my seating position slightly to move some of the load from my right to left leg.
3 - Getting comfortable on the seat . I find this very important as my quads are very big/thick now, jumping around the seat and arranging in the middle of a 10K throws mountains of time away
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Re: Always

Post by mash »

PSims wrote:One day, I'm asking for trouble - but I'm always strapped for time.
Paul, I'm with you...although in the mornings I start off so slowly that it may as well be a warm up!!

Probably an injury in the making but been lucky so far.

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

Warming up

Post by steve the slug »

Yeh, i generally do a 5 minute warm up depending on what distance i'm doing, anything over 5k i do yhe warm up within the distance (slower pace early on for about 2 mins).

most often will finish with a warm down at at 5min/1000k

steve the slug, mind you a walk is a warm up for a slug
Fatt Matt

Post by Fatt Matt »

I start with a hangover from rowing days of 10-15 strokes just with arms at backstops, then introduce back-swing for a few strokes, then the same at 1/4-slide, then 1/2, then full. This seems to get the kinks out & set up my technique. I've always done this minimum, takes about a minute.

More recently I've started then doing a proper warm-up: I'll do 4-6mins at 2*rest heart rate i.e. ~120bpm (though in reality just being all excited about being on the Ergo & whooshing up & down the slide with no effort puts it up to about 130), with 4 * 5-10 stroke max-out yanks to really get the blood pumping and the muscles warmed up.

I've really found that this makes for more consistent output once I start a piece, especially on the shorter distances. I'm not sure it's so necessary on a massive meter-muncher, mind.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Warm up/down counting

Post by webberg »

Like a lot of others here I tend to warm up before shorter pieces but use the opening phase of longer ones as the warm up. Not only does this get things going gently it also imposes a pace discipline that I find useful as otherwise I go off too quick.

On "real" warm ups I tend to do a few hundred, stop and fiddle with seat, DF sometimes and also go slow then fast then slow. In all about 1k - 1.5K.

I don't ever log these metres. Partly because it's never really occured to me and partly I suppose because the split would be about 2:15+ and I'm on a misison to have a season split of below 2:08.

Does anybody else log their warm ups (or downs)?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

I ALWAYS log warm ups and warm downs.

The way I see it, they all count as metres and it would be a waste not to log them.
6'6" 1971
PSims
True Free Spirit

Every metre counts!!

Post by PSims »

Probably slightly off topic, but...

Log EVERYTHING! Even Steve's Single Slug!

Say 80 people rowing every day, 5 min warm up ~ 80 km !!!

Same will cooldowns.

In fact, if you have recorded the distances, or know them, log them retro anyway back to 1st May.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Derrylad
Free Spirit

Logging Warm ups.

Post by Derrylad »

I have a bad habit of not logging warmups of under 1k. Suppose I should from now on. If I row early in the morning, I find a nice cuppa and a 1k sets me up for the rest of the day. I can then go mad in the morning, cool down and have a relaxing row at lunchtime ( circumstances permitting ). Will just row for just under an hour and not let my HR go above 130.
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

webberg wrote:Does anybody else log their warm ups (or downs)?
I don't normally log these either.

But this week I'm doing about 2.5 to 3 times my normal meters (sun->sat) (I'm less then half way and I'm very tired already) for the 7 Wonders ELM, and several other ELM's and Nonatlon times.
Just to make sure it wasn't too easy on myself I decided to do it during what has turned out the hottest week of the year so far :roll:

So I'm adding the warmups for this week
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Warm up/down counting

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:Does anybody else log their warm ups (or downs)?
I didn't used to warm up. But competing with FS means I do now for the shorter distances and I do log them. It irks me that in RowPro it can lead you through a warm up/warm down and even add those metres to your total - but you cannot upload WU/WD metres to Concept 2!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days