What do you listen to/watch whilst you are rowing?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

What do you listen to/watch whilst you are rowing?

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Neil was mentioning music recently for rowing to.

I'll often just put on a CD to accompany me - I used to put on fast energetic music like Underworld which has a good beat. The Killers are also a good bet. Last week I was playing the latest Aberfeldy and Camera Obscura albums quite a lot. Music like Hard-Fi, Doves, The Wedding Present, Arcade Fire, Belle & Sebastian and Catatonia also works for me.
I'll often just play a playlist of these bands randomly on my iPod (but through my stereo - I find its too awkward to wear when rowing.)

Not all my CDs are compatable with rowing though. For example Johnny Cash, Lou Reed or Leonard Cohen just wouldn't egg me on. :?

I tend to go through phases - Sometimes I'll turn the telly round to face the erg so I can watch something to take my mind off rowing. I find a good film or sporting event like the Tour de France / football match works well.

Mind you sometimes I prefer no music/telly in the background if I'm doing a sprint just to help me focus on the 500m splits.
6'6" 1971
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

I don't have access to a telly, the wife has banished me to a shed when at home! Did watch an Arsenal game once, found I wasn't concentrating on the rowing so I abandoned that idea. Music is the main thing for me unless I wish to watch the world go by at the gym.

Anything by the Killers (Mr Brightside), Snow Patrol, Kasabian, New Order/Joy Division, Death in Vegas certain faithless tracks (Insomnia, God is a DJ, We become 1), Kaiser Chiefs, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, Mylo.

Don't even mind a bit of Mr Johnny Cash for a longer slower row. Will put my mind to it and create a playlist from the ipod. I'll let Gregor and others scoff or applaud.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
PSims
True Free Spirit

Allsorts

Post by PSims »

I like a wide variety of stuff - but there's a few of tracks that really seem to affect my split times (for the better). Not saying they are the best music, but they work for me:

Life is a Rollercoaster - Ronan Keating
Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl
What You Waiting For - Gwen Stefani
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Boulevard of Broken Dreams & When September Ends - Green Day
747 (Strangers In The Night) - Saxon
Jump - Van Halen

...and some of the music that's on my old 78s, before I get that comment again!!!!

...but they DON'T help when I'm trying to sustain a split time for a long period - they make me speed up too much!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

ReducingFB
Stop posting and start rowing!

Anyone for sixties music!!

Post by ReducingFB »

Well, I can't help being born nearly 20 years before you guys. Went to see the Rolling Stones live in 1999 at Wembley with my elder son. There were all sorts of wrinklies like me with T-shirts saying things like Wembley 78 etc. My son told me to shut-up when I pointed out I could beat them all, if I had had a T-shirt saying "Leeds 1964!!!" :D :D

Yes folks, the night before my 'O' levels started, I saw the Rolling Stones live in City Hall, Leeds. And guess who was second on the bill - none other than the pride of Scotland - yes - Lulu.

So I think I'll stick to my Rolling Stones and Beatles CD's - Simon and Garfunkel and Bob Dylan are a bit slow !! :P

RFB
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Don't worry Paul won't mention 78s again. Apart from their probably worth alot now!

Thats an eclectic mix there, first time I've seen Ronan and Green Day mentioned together.

Pixies, how rude of me to forget one of 80s best bands. Bit like The Smiths in terms of songs are short (alright not including last night I..... and How soon is now) Short songs maximum effort.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Stranglers - All Twelve Inches album - especially 'No Mercy' (at just over 7mins that can get you a long way through a piece :D )

Individual tracks which seem to 'help':
ChumbaWhumba - Tubthumping
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
Madness - Baggy Trousers
Queen - Don't stop me know
Guns 'n Roses - Live & let die
Cyndi Lauper - Girls just want to have fun
Weather Girls - It's raining men

I guess the last two won't be of much interest to the majority! :D
This batch tends to both date me quite acurately :wink: - and to keep the rating at about 24spm
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Gooner Neil wrote: Anything by the Killers (Mr Brightside), Snow Patrol, Kasabian, New Order/Joy Division, Death in Vegas certain faithless tracks (Insomnia, God is a DJ, We become 1), Kaiser Chiefs, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, Mylo.

Don't even mind a bit of Mr Johnny Cash for a longer slower row. Will put my mind to it and create a playlist from the ipod. I'll let Gregor and others scoff or applaud.
We have quite similar tastes. Of the bands you mentioned, I often play Snow Patrol, Kasabian, New Order, Joy Division, Death in Vegas, Kaiser Chiefs and My Bloody Valentine.

PSims wrote:I like a wide variety of stuff - but there's a few of tracks that really seem to affect my split times (for the better). Not saying they are the best music, but they work for me:

Life is a Rollercoaster - Ronan Keating
Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl
What You Waiting For - Gwen Stefani
Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Boulevard of Broken Dreams & When September Ends - Green Day
747 (Strangers In The Night) - Saxon
Jump - Van Halen
"Won't Get Fooled Again" - The Who is such a good song.
That and "Baba O'Reilly" are my favourite Who songs.

Add a bit of the Beatles, Stranglers and the Pixies and I'll have a pretty good playlist there. :D
6'6" 1971
gunslinger_
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by gunslinger_ »

I was contemplating this whilst rowing yesterday. I have my ipod on a lanyard strung around my neck, hanging down my back. On the long rows, I tend to listen to whole albums. Zep's "Houses of the Holy" and Beatles' "Revolver" yesterday. (Hmmm. Revolver. Yesterday... coincidence?) Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is good for the HM.
What I find is that I'm familiar enough with the music, so that it's keeping my brain occupied, but I can still concentrate on technique. If I'm halfway through, I can also totally absorb myself in the music to kill 20 minutes rather quickly.
The other thing I enjoy, is watching others come and go. There are only 2 ergs at the gym, and during a typical hour row for me, 2-3 others will sit next to me and row. GREAT MOTIVATION! My split times will drop 2 seconds, (Me? Competitive?) and I love the look on their faces when they say, "does that say 15,000 meters?"
The typical rower at my gym gives it a go for 5-15 minutes, and measures their progress by Calories/hour. While 2:02 means nothing to them, I love to cycle through the display and put up 1100 calories/hour compared to their 600.
Does this make me a poser or ultra competitive??
steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by steve the slug »

Just competive Gunslinger and there aint nowt wrong with that

slug

ps i'm an ABBA fan but i havent got an iPOD so it dont matter, what is good though is that "call on me" by Eric Prydse or what ever always seems to come on whilst i am in the gym and then i just refocus to that VIDEO

'sorry ladies, i know its a bit sexist but it helps!!!

slug
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

steve the slug wrote:
'sorry ladies, i know its a bit sexist but it helps!!!

slug
Hey - no worse than my using 'it's raining men' as incentive :lol:
Whatever works!

I forgot to add to the list above:
Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am locking ths thread so the discussion can continue in the new thread. My fault. Clicked wrong button. Sorry...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days