Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Injuries

Post by Gooner Neil »

Hello one and all.

You can't afford a day off in this team and as I am currently injured I will be well and truly slipping down the board.

On that note anyone had a dislocated shoulder or knowledge of such could they ansa the following.

1. Can i paddle (i.e damper 1 v little exertion) +10 days since event or is too soon?
2. When can I consider weight training?
3. Apart fromn physio and massage is there anything I can be doing (apart from the jobs at home I've put off for 4 years.
5. When can I attempt proper rowing again (ie full pace)?
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

Doctor Shrek.....Calling Doctor Shrek.....
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I think it might depend on how the shoulder dislocated and for how long it was out before being restored.

Not being a medical man but having had such an injury many years ago, it took me about 2 weeks to gain full movement and probably 3 before I could do 20 push ups. (which was a surprise because I couldn't do any before).

Perhaps let your body decide. Try a paddle and see if it hurts. If you have any discomfort - stop.

If your body is in pain that's always a good time to listen.

Good luck with the recovery. :P
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

I'd go with Graham on this one - give it a little try and see how it goes. light damper and keep the emphasis off the shoulder. It'll soon let you know if it isn't happy.

Don't suppose you can get your employer to pay for a bit of physio for you, given as this injury was obtained in the line of duty...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Thanks for the above encouraging to note the Graham had same injury some years ago but can still jump on an erg. Will do 20mins on Thurs and see how it goes.

I will be getting some intensive physio (hopefully) start of new year at a v good rehabilitation centre near Reading (Goring if anyone knows it). Just getting impatient :(
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Hi Gooner,
I know Goring (just outside Pangbourne where my the HQ of my previous job was). That's where George Michael lives - maybe you could call in and he will give you a rub down :wink:

Hope you get fixed soon

Regards
Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Cheers Plummy. I know he's a very busy man so I don't wish to add to his hectic schedule, thanks for the advice I've added it to my list of helpful hints that includes how to solve the Israel/Palestine problem and three reasons why you shouldn't dislike Alex Ferguson
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Good luck with the recovery Gooner - glad you didnt dislocate your sense of humour
pb times
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

He needs his sense of humour - he's an Arsenal fan. :wink:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
webberg

Post by webberg »

Neil, I popped mine as a result of throwing myself down in the penalty area a long time before Van Persie, Robben, Ronaldo and the rest of the prima donnas were around.

I was a boy of 20 or so at the time. Very fit. skinny and I'm sure bl99dy obnoxious. (Now just the latter).

Only result is that I've got a touch of tendonitis that I'm off to get fixed early next year.

Take it easy!

I know Goring. Now far from me. Not far from Paul Sims either.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

I have played and coached a lot of Soccer (football). Do you know when a player is writhing in pain.....just rolling all over the field....moaning.....grabbing at something or other......looking for the official to blow his whistle......then, they get up and score three on you....FAKER!

Well, over here we call that a Euro Injury.......when a man is down we say "Is he European or is he hurt?"
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Mr Webber, in ansa to your earlier question it was out for hour and a half.
Oh and is there a pathe news clip of our simulation?

Mr Channin. Thank you for reminding me of my affiliation. Thank you for reminding also any Spurs fans who read this. I bought a Spurs coffee cup the other day, it has written on it 'place in middle of table.'

Mr Ptruz, re football yes there is an unsavoury element to our national sport, one that ashames and embarasses every true fan. We hang our heads in shame, however the Glaziers are welcome to Man Utd. I thank you. :D
webberg

Post by webberg »

And Aston Villa.

Neil, I think 90 minutes is not long enough to have damaged the ligaments permanently. However ligaments are difficult to heal and impossible to heal quickly. If you nothing whilst they heal however there is a danger of losing some mobility. I would say therefore that a gentle - repeat GENTLE - row may be beneficial.

If it hurts - stop immediately.

Unlike Shrek I have no medical training, just a long history of joint problems and have spent many hours in Physio over the years.

Perhaps Alistair would be better placed to help.

(I have never taken a dive on the football pitch. Every time I fell in the area there must have been significant contact. :twisted: )

I should add that the previous list of divers missed out some notable English challengers such as Owen, Francis Lee, Rooney as well as including no South Americans.

When I was coaching kids in football I used to tell them that if they went down injured and then leapt up again that I woudl asusme they were really hurt and needed 2 games rest! Stopped the problem immediately.

I see also that the Torquay chairman has said that he will sack any player he finds to have taken a dive and is cheating. Can you see the Premiership clubs doing this? :?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Cheers Graham,

and in answer to your last point, no chance.
Rita
Free Spirit

Opposite of Trigger finger

Post by Rita »

Hi there,

I seem to have developed a problem with two of my fingers, I am finding it very hard to bend my middle and index fingers on my left hand. My fingers stiffen up at night or during periods of "inactivity" (like holding/reading a book) such that I cannot bend them. They do loosen up during the day and ironically, have better flexibility after I row.

I am right handed and doing my computer mouse clicking with my right hand. I'm still able to do the things I need to do, but it is disconcerting to wake up in the morning and have your fingers be so stiff that you can't bend them. Physical therapy didn't help so they gave me a cortisone shot at the base of my middle finger and told me not to row for a week :cry:.

My physical therapist said it maybe an ongoing problem (especially if the cortisone doesn't help) and that I have to deal with or I could get the pulleys in the fingers cut so that the tendon will slide easier.

I'm just curious if any of the hard core rowers have experienced this problem and any tips that will help keep this at bay. At PT they did give me several "tendon glide" exercises to do.

Thanks,
Rita
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I went through a spell of having my left hand middle finger go completely numb down the back when doing long distance stuff a while back. Seems to have eased now though. I also used to get "FM rower's claw" where I would have to peel my hands off the handle afterwards. Ironically, with all the extra distance I've done this year, I've not really suffered much with either of these issues lately. (Just the dreaded Nijmegen ar$e blisters....)

Interesting that your hand loosens up with rowing. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can figure that out.
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Hi Neil- hope the rehab goes well-Goring is abt 4 miles from me if you want a cuppa !!!
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

and for Rita

I have been getting stiff fingers on right hand exacerbated by the touch pad on this bloomin laptop!!!

mine also loosen up with rowing

so I wish you well
Carole Sergeant
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Take you up on that offer of a cuppa, should be there early new year (had first row 1/2 hr just over 6000m). Shoulder still in socket another attempt with more effort today :?
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

be careful dont dislocate it again!!!!!!
Carole Sergeant
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Thanks for the concern but for the record I am really a big coward so my grand claim of more effort really means dropping from 2.28 pace to 2.26 pace :wink:

PS why Jessica Red? Do you have a brother called Well?
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

LOL Neil-you didnt read my introduction piece then on the Introduce Yourself thread- too busy rowing I expect to read anything! :lol:

My name is Carole Sergeant but many of my friends call me
Jessica-Red / JR or Jess- a joke involving my reddish/blondish hair and Jessica Rabbits red dress -which I intend to fit into when all this rowing pays off and I lose more weight!LOL
Carole Sergeant
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

My apologies JR, should have read the threads more carefully.

Hour today, drag of 118 shoulder still in. Onwards and upwards. And 2.25 pace, a whole second off my intended pace (don't tell Mike or Graham they'll shout at me :wink: )
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

Well done

SSSHHHH dont tell them -I can keep a secret LOL
Carole Sergeant
Stan

Post by Stan »

Good to see you getting back into it Neil - dont overdo it.
pb times